20 comments

Sad Fantasy Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

My touch meant death, but I needed a hug. I was the child of murder and malice, looking for love and kindness.

            The world opened its arms to me at first. Who denies a crying child affection? I was their image of innocence, no matter where I went. They would hold me. My touch paralysed. That innermost need for affection always hoped that I’d finally found someone who held me tight because they wanted me. I felt them still. Cold death covered them and chilled my skinny bones.

            The search continued.

            I longed for love instinctively.

            I hungered for it.

            “Poor little mite,” said a kindly voice. Her ruddy face peered down at me in the snow. “Where’s your mama then?”

            My eyes were the giant glimmering saucers that they fawn over.

            “Come here then.” Brown shawl hung from hunched shoulders. Tanned arms reached out. Dirty fingers, rough with callouses, opened to take me.

            I ran into the arms.

            The noise.

            I hated that noise.

            Her eyes were bulging.

            “No. Don’t die. Please. I’m sorry. Just hold me. Please.” My voice was sorrow in the high tones of a little body. Six or seven years I’d wandered, looking for someone to take me in.

            Colour drained from her face. Blue eyes turned milky. Her heart slowed. I felt her life pass into me, feeding me.

            “Take it back. Take it back! I don’t want it. I want you.” Fists the size of crab apples pounded her frozen chest. She was already gone, and I knew it.

I learned to keep my distance. I learned that there was no love for a thing like me. The Black City was my home. Black leather gloves taken from a corpse kept others safe from my touch.

            I ate stolen food. Gutters were my bed. Rats were my friends if they kept their distance, meat for a barbeque if they didn’t.

            “Get lost, Little Bad,” said the other orphans on the streets. They threw stones if I ever approached them. They saw me for what I was as they approached death from starvation.

            Towers rose as I remained an infant. Skylines rose faster than I grew. Smoke from the factories hid the blue of the sky each day and the light of the stars each night. Foreign tongues wormed their way into my mind. I heard the gossip, tales of war, gripes about corruption.

            Stories of a vampire trickled from the mouths of gossiping women, hanging their washing on their balconies. A creature that lived forever, already dead. Hiding from the townsfolk that would burn it alive.

Bodies were found all over the city. All men. Drained dry of blood. Aristocrats were found in their libraries. Factory foremen lay dead at their desks. Pimps hung from the painted signs of their brothels.

            Red crosses marked every death on a stolen map of the city. There was a term I’d heard astronomers use called triangulation. Sitting silently on the beams of their lecture theatres I had learned a great deal about the stars. All I wanted was the sound of their voices. I learned their names through years of observation. Odd thing, the men that studied the stars never looked up to see me in the rafters of their house of learning.

            Every two days the vampire feasted on mortal flesh. Eventually it ranged further from the heart of the city. By then I had already established a central point to its attacks. An ancient church, labelled as a house of heresy. Boarded up. Half burnt.

            Tombstones were the flowers in the garden. Weeds were the lawn up to the house of worship on the hill. That church had been watching the Black City grow longer than I had. Moonlight smiled upon me walking between graves.

            Swelling purpose filled me as I pressed my naked palm to the cold stone of the wall. An owl hooting in trees by the graveyard’s edge told me to keep going. Red stained glass was purple in the blue light of the moon. It peeked from between the boards. Hairs on the back of my hand stood upright as I saw the broken window in the roof.

            Black gloves saved my hands from the cruel splinters of the boards on the windows as I climbed. Carvings gave me holds. Gargoyles meant to protect the church aided my break in. My little feet creaked on the charred and rotting boards of the roof.

            Black City, in all its guts and glory spread out around me as I stood at the summit. Lamps were pinprick glows of orange, forming lines that disappeared into silhouette alleys. Whispering wind warned me to leave. Not a chance.

            I was not made to die.

            There was no safe way down from the hole in the roof into the church. I jumped. Bones crunched. Blood spurted from wounds caused by shards. My head hit the rubble. I knew no more.

Pain woke me. Eyes watched me. Yellow eyes. Catlike eyes in a human face with snake’s teeth. My bones were setting. It had been day, and night had come again.

            I lay on a moss-covered pew. I was a bruise with two arms and a leg. One eye swollen shut. Silence passed between us.

            Licking blood from its lips with a tongue a foot long, it fixed me with a stare.

            “Hello,” my voice was still that of a child.

            It vanished. Nothing but the eyes remained. Yellow orbs watching me with black slits open wide.

            Pain overcame me again. I slept.

I woke in the day, almost healed. Serenity in the ruins stunned me. Flowers bloomed beneath the open roof. A wild garden sang with pollen. Rotten benches had been arranged into garden beds.

            Food lay before me. Bread. Wine. Cheese. I ate ravenously. Wine dribbled down my clothes as I scoffed the offerings. When I had my strength, I followed shadows down steps into the darkness.

            Nothingness welcomed me home down there. I found a crypt older than the church. Magic forbidden to moral mortals warmed my healing bones. Skeletons of vampires filled open hollows in the walls. They lay in rusted armour. A dusty golden hoard lay beneath each one.

            Sarcophagi were the focal points of rooms carved with ancient battles. Each lay ajar with a corpse within.

            She lay sleeping in her own. The last chamber. Her sarcophagus was inlaid with gold and gems I could not name. Some swirled with dancing light in purples and blues, the colours of the cosmos.

            She was dead. Eyes closed. Unmoving. Skin grey. Hair lily white. Every nail was a dagger fit for the cruellest killer. I felt the power flowing from her. Red blood on her lips.

            I folded myself into her arms. I had found my home at last. Without waking, her arms tightened around me as any mother’s might. I slept as I had never slept. She woke me at night, stroking my hair.

            Her smile was soft as a kitten’s fur. Her teeth were needles as she drank from me. It is the price of my happiness. She steals me food every night. I eat and she drinks my blood. My touch does not harm her. She is the Big Bad that does not die. I am the Little Bad that cannot be killed. We are the monsters that harm no one.

August 26, 2022 15:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

20 comments

J.T. Bancroft
17:42 Sep 01, 2022

Interesting story, and the language especially is very descriptive and sounds nice on the ear. I felt that the lore of the protagonist could be made a little clearer, I didn't quite understand what he was or why he couldn't die (or perhaps that was meant to remain a mystery, or maybe I missed it). Overall though an enjoyable read.

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:29 Sep 01, 2022

I can see what you mean about the protagonist’s origin. Thanks for the feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Melissa Taylor
00:53 Aug 30, 2022

Ah yes, everyone needs/wants to be loved. Little Bad and Big Bad found a beautiful symbiotic relationship. They never wanted to hurt others, they simply needed to and now they don't have to.

Reply

Graham Kinross
01:07 Aug 30, 2022

Is it too cruel that she has to drink from him?

Reply

Melissa Taylor
01:10 Aug 30, 2022

I don't think so. It can't kill him and it's a small price to pay to have all he ever wanted.

Reply

Melissa Taylor
01:13 Aug 30, 2022

Plus, haven't we all suffered for love in one way or another?

Reply

Graham Kinross
01:49 Aug 30, 2022

Yes, very true. And they won’t live with the guilt of killing people to survive. Love can be brutal. Life isn’t much less so.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Moon Lion
02:07 Aug 28, 2022

This story read like a fantasy epic and I loved the style choice. Poor Little Bad, that's the saddest way to live and the most satisfying ending. The vampire design was also very cool. You've written so many wildly different stories recently, a true testament to imagination :) congrats!

Reply

Graham Kinross
02:37 Aug 28, 2022

I was just thinking of a way to make a sweet story about an orphan who needs love a sinister tale of murder and monsters.

Reply

Moon Lion
04:11 Aug 28, 2022

It worked! Found family is always a win.

Reply

Graham Kinross
05:05 Aug 28, 2022

Even monsters need cuddles.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jeannette Miller
15:16 Aug 28, 2022

Aww, the poor little death orphan. I love how deep his longing is and the internal battle he feels between wanting to be touched knowing it will be bring death. I can easily see him being shunned by the others and how he creeps among the shadows. The vampire element works but I got a bit confused near the end regarding their relationship. Is the orphan the vampire feeding off the townspeople and then feeding his mother in the tomb or the other way around or a bit of both? He says he has found his home at last which makes me think he's never...

Reply

Graham Kinross
16:15 Aug 28, 2022

My idea for their system at the end is that since the child can’t die the vampire feeds it regular food that it steals in the city then drinks the child’s blood. Then it gets the blood it needs, the child can heal in between and neither of them are killing anyone.

Reply

Jeannette Miller
16:21 Aug 28, 2022

Ahhhh, okay...makes sense. I was thinking that sort of but probably over thought it and then missed it. Cool!

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:58 Aug 28, 2022

I picture that what the vampire missed the most were the family she’s been surrounded by the bones of since waking up. Having the child filled an emotional need which rekindled her humanity, just as she was what the child needed.

Reply

Jeannette Miller
15:09 Aug 29, 2022

Holy smokes that's deep. I can totally feel that in the end of this story.

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:07 Aug 29, 2022

Thanks Jeannette.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Aoi Yamato
01:05 Sep 11, 2023

Cute and scary.

Reply

Graham Kinross
09:17 Sep 11, 2023

Like a vampire Pomeranian, called Pacman.

Reply

Aoi Yamato
03:21 Sep 12, 2023

?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.