0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Romance

Ten seconds.

That’s all they really have.

It is not much time— but it has been this way for millennia. Those short ten seconds are treasured more than a whole lifetime.

How can someone treasure ten seconds so much more than a lifetime?

The ten seconds when the Sun and the Moon could be together in perfect harmony. No repercussions, no punishments, just the two of them against the universe— for ten seconds.

But this ten seconds was never about the sun or the moon. 

It’s about when the Gods played their games, who will be left behind.

Ten.

The first count was the easiest. This was the part where you realize that your days are numbered, the part where it all sinks in and you scramble to do what was left to be done.

Her world burns brightly around her. It was over. The fighting, the bloodshed, and the never-ending suffering—they have won once and for all.

Except for Dawn.

“Please,” She cried, “Don’t leave me. Please!”

She didn't care if she was crying in front of her soldiers, she didn't care about the pain as the fire around her licked her skin, she didn't care if her wails echoed in the air.

She couldn't bring herself to.

For there was no winning in war.

She clutched the body close to her as sobs racked through her as she mourned him—Her lover, her best friend, her right hand man, his fragile life ended by a thin silver dagger.

She can feel herself burning, but Dawn could only hiss in pain.

 All she did was lay her head against his unmoving chest. Her brown hair in contrast with his blood stained uniform as she clutched unto him tightly, praying to every God that can hear her to please let him live.

“Please. Stay. You’re all I have left.”

Even if it’s just for another ten seconds.

Nine.

And the Gods heard her pleas.

Dawn sat in the far corner of the pub, her hood pulled up far enough to cover her face as she watched the man that sat on the bar with keen interest. She knows who he is without a second thought.

This was his third life.

And she only found him yesterday.

The man started waving his empty glass around for the bartender, seeming to drink his sorrows away. The bartender ,of course, dutifully approached him with hushed words before his expression hardened and turned him away.

Ah.

Wrapping her cloak closer, Dawn stood and casually walked over to the bar and dropping a bag of silver coins onto the counter. But before she got the chance to leave, the man grabbed onto her wrist, forcing her to stop at her tracks.

"Who are you?"

Dawn only looked at him, her bright green eyes glowing in the darkness.

But it didn't strike fear in him.

No-- it seems so… so familiar.

The Gods laughed in the heavens, Time smirked gleefully, "Nine."

Eight.

Dawn lost track of him this time.

She couldn't find him anywhere.

She needs to know where he was, or how he’s been. Dawn still wouldn't be able to speak a word to him, but she’ll know he’s there.

She needs to protect him.

Except, he was just right there.

So then the Gods smiled down at them, watching as he laid his hand on her shoulder as Dawn cried on the pavements, pieces of her heart scattered all around her. They would always play dice with the universe, but time never failed to bring them such entertainment

“Excuse me, miss?” A voice interrupted her thoughts, “Are you okay?”

Dawn’s eyes widened in shock as she turned to the man to face him— her eyes meeting his.

She stood up in shock, immediately putting a space between them in realization.

He reached for her once again, “Uhh— is there something wrong—”

“Stay where you are.”

Eight.

Seven.

Luke knows that he was missing something.

There was a hole in his life that never seemed to be filled no matter what he does, and he wants to know why.

For his entire life, he was plagued with dreams and visions of someone else's life. He signed up for therapy as he continued to watch himself die over and over again. 

But none of it worked.

Instead, he turned to writing them out stories he wants to tell and questions he wants to be answered, with a character that seemed to appear in every. Single. One.

And she was standing right in front of him.

“Stay where you are,” the woman gasped as she backed away from him, horrified. As if she has seen something she shouldn’t have.

Luke raised his hands in surrender, “Please, I just want to help.”

The woman backed away further, “Don't come any closer,” But don't move away, “Please.”

Seven.

Then she ran.

Six.

Dawn ran.

She ran like her life depended on it.

People looked and stared as she pushed through the crowd with abandonment, she was wasting the time they had left the closer he was to her.

She wants him to keep living.

She wants to live.

Dawn wiped the tears pouring down her face with the sleeve of her sweater. She has to get away from him-- far far away.

She wants to live in the same world as him. Even if they're not together. 

Because it's better than watching from afar knowing what they lost.

Dawn finally bursts out of the sea of people,  angry mumbling left behind her as she runs a hand through her hair in relief.

He was safe.

She was safe.

A loud roar of a car brought her back into reality followed by blaring lights in her vision.

And she was out.

And Luke watched as his world crumbled.

Five.

It was the steady beeping that woke her up.

Then it was the bright lights.

Then the sterile smell.

“You’re finally awake!”

Five.

Four.

Dawn looked back at him for one second. It was pure joy in that one second, before it was replaced by a horrified one the next.

“Oh my god,” she gasped, “Why are you here?”

Luke shrugged, “I brought you here. I watched you get hit by a car and called 911. I was supposed to leave you be, but I swear I know you from somewhere.”

Please let me come closer.

“Stop talking to me! You have no idea what you’re doing!”

Three.

Luke sat down beside Dawn on her cot, “I want to know why you’re so important to me.”

“We have three seconds left.”

“Please just tell me.”

Two.

“I loved you,” she whispered, “And I’m sorry I couldn’t prove that. The Gods didn’t take pity on me— on us.”

“Wait I don't understand—"

"You don't have to, I got what I wanted," Dawn smiled, but it was a smile laced with sadness.  All she did was after millennia of waiting and endless longing, Dawn was finally able to take his hand into hers, lacing her fingers through his. “A last second with you.”

Dawn, the first appearance of light. “Will you stay this time?”

Luke, the one born at dawn.  He held onto her tighter, “I will.”

Two souls walked this Earth together, but one ray of sunlight will remain.

Dawn let’s out her final breath.

Live.

One.

December 31, 2020 18:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.