Contest #186 shortlist ⭐️

109 comments

Contemporary Fiction

CW: mentions of miscarriage and suicide

Dale was adamant. Adamant that chocolate chips belonged in banana bread, that health care should be universal, and that rap music is an acquired taste. He thought people who grew up with grandparents close-by had a deeper sense of security than those who didn’t, and that saying hello to people you passed, whether you knew them or not, was the foundation of civilization.

Dale was adamant. Adamant that I was the most beautiful girl he had ever been with and that he wanted to share his future with me. He had big dreams of trips we would take and places we would go. After dinner, we’d take long walks around the neighborhood stopping in somewhere on our stroll to meet up with neighbors or have a nightcap. “If we couldn’t get to Italy, we’d bring Italy to us,” he declared.

Dale was adamant. We didn’t need a big, fancy wedding to prove to the world that we were meant for each other, and we didn’t need to wait ‘til we graduated. “I’ve never loved anyone more in my whole life. Why wait?’ he reasoned, as I grabbed my coat and we headed for city hall.

Dale was adamant. “You’ll finish your degree one day,” he said, although my body told me that holding down a full-time job, trying to start a family, volunteering at the rehab center, and training for a 5K were about all I could handle, and that graduate courses would have to be a part of someone else’s life trajectory.

Dale was adamant. We would win the lottery, inherit an unexpected windfall, and move to a nicer neighborhood. We would stop the long commutes and the shitty jobs and have time to sit around with the kids we still didn’t have. We’d tell stories by the fireplace, either our own or at a cabin we’d rented in some magical place. There’d be snow and mugs of hot chocolate, or homemade glögg and candles if the kids were in bed.

Dale was adamant. Adamant that neither one of us would take up golf or crafts in retirement. We would travel extensively and read about all the places we’d go, and cultures and languages we would encounter. We would host wild birthday parties for our grandchildren without electronics or ponies, but with plenty of ice cream and cake and candles and wishes.

Dale was adamant. Conspiracy theories, while trendy, were poppycock. Except for one. He truly believed that you could fail a drug test if you consumed poppy seeds. “It’s true, Maddie. The Department of Health has warned that eating poppy seeds could cause a codeine positive urine analysis.” Every time he mentioned this, I wondered if he had a similar theory for why I continued to be barren.

Dale was adamant. I was going to get pregnant and we were going to be parents. He offered to adjust his diet with mine. We would eat foods that were rich in antioxidants like folate and zinc and take multi-vitamins by the handfuls. We would reduce our stress levels and focus on love-making and not procreating. We would cut down on caffeine and increase our iron intakes. We’d eat more garlic-or abandon it completely- as soon as he looked into what was best for conceiving.

Dale was adamant. We would not shelter our children and would not expose them to organized religion. We’d let our children make their own choices, simple things like which cereal to have for breakfast and which extra-curricular activities to participate in, so they’d become independent and confident in their ability to think for themselves. We’d share-but not impose- our values on our children and we’d stress that education is important, but it is even more important to be a nice person.

Dale was adamant. We had done ‘everything right’ in order to conceive, but we needed to do more. We needed to nest-build. So, over the next few weekends, we’d paint the baby’s room, buy a rocking chair, and assemble a crib. We’d visualize this baby into life. My head hurt. If visualization worked, I would be pregnant right now. I do not know what Dale will say when he realizes my body is not cooperating with his plan.

Dale was adamant. It was probably the car accident that provoked the miscarriage. Losing your best friend must have been a shock to the system and your body probably shut down. “We can try again,” he says. I nod, but there is so much blood and so much loss. I don’t know if I can.

Dale was adamant. The miscarriage was a setback, but it’s not the end. We can try in vitro or we can adopt. Maybe find a surrogate. Looking at me he adds, “You need to stop crying though. You really do.” I try, but I can’t.

Dale was adamant. I should talk to someone. My attitude is starting to affect this marriage. I cry too much. And if I’m not crying, I just seem so damn miserable. I stifle a sniffle when he tells me, “Not having a baby is not the end of the world. Not going to graduate school doesn’t mean you’re stupid or can’t get the job you want. And a lot of people have lost their best friend in car accidents, but they pick up the pieces and get on with their lives.” He could not see how low I had sunk. That I could no longer pull myself out of the dark hole I was in. That every word he spoke now was like a hand on top of my head holding me down beneath the dark soil of the earth.

Dale was adamant. He wanted a divorce. I have more issues than he was willing or able to deal with. He needed to move on. Be with someone else. And I needed to take care of my mental health challenges. Stop talking about killing myself. “Where did you think that was going to get you?” he asked concerned and annoyed in equal measures.

Dale was adamant. His new wife was not pleased he comes over here. I should know better than to talk about ending it all. I should know that threatening suicide is serious. “Sure, you’re feeling badly, but I know you, you’d never try to hurt yourself. You could never end your life. Right?”  I didn’t tell him that I could, that I might, that I would.

Dale was adamant. But so was I.

February 24, 2023 17:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

109 comments

Kelsey H
08:43 Mar 03, 2023

Really love the way this story unfolds with the initial impression of Dale as a positive and upbeat person, yet the further it goes into the character the more we see his 'positivity' is simply an overbearing person who insists on life being the way he wants it to be. The way his wife's emotions and wishes are overridden or not even noticed by him is very well shown, really enjoyed the development we see in each character and it felt quite in depth for a short story.

Reply

Wally Schmidt
17:48 Mar 04, 2023

Thank you Kelsey for your insightful comments on Dale's character. I feel like sometimes people who have super contolling personalities enter our lives without us noticing how toxic and oppressive they have the potential to be

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dan Taylor
03:23 Mar 03, 2023

Great job! I didn’t read the cw because I didn’t want a spoiler, but as it got darker I remembered that there was a warning. The Dales of this world are impotent but blame others.

Reply

Wally Schmidt
01:30 Mar 04, 2023

Thanks for reading Dan. I never know how to use the trigger warnings appropriately anyway. Still trying to figure it out...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tessa Takzikab
04:38 Mar 02, 2023

Wow. It's beautifully done. It's hard for me to comment properly right now because of how relatable it is to be struggling with something and have people tell you not to cry. To put the meltdown away for a more convenient time. To save it for the therapist. I guess that's what I'm trying to say. Your story is relatable. It pulls at people's hearts because it's real (even if it is mostly fictional) and it's raw. And based on other comments I assume this story almost didn't make it onto reedsy, so... Thanks for sharing this story with us!

Reply

Wally Schmidt
01:28 Mar 04, 2023

I always hate it when people tell me not to cry too. It usually results in me dissolving into a hot mess.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Willy P. Tickler
03:17 Mar 02, 2023

Epic

Reply

Show 0 replies
08:41 Mar 01, 2023

I loved how in very few paragraphs, you brought to life two vivid, antagonistic characters and their gradual down-spiraling relationship. Also, you proved there is power in repetition! "Adamant' is almost tender in the beginning - the candor of banana bread, the normality of a simple wedding- but soon gets sad connotations. In the end, the word 'adamant' evokes the tragical nature of both characters' lives. Beautiful story!

Reply

Wally Schmidt
01:27 Mar 04, 2023

Thanks Alina for reading it and commenting here. I was trying to use the prompt to chronicle the trajectory of the relationship. To me it seemed obvious that the prompt had to serve a purpose or the repetition was going to be mind -numbing. Please check out my story the cancer patient when you have time. It didn't get any love here but it has a similar vibe.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
19:21 Feb 28, 2023

Hi Wally, I think "adamant" was the perfect word to use in your repeating lines. It immediately gives us insight into Dale's personality and remains consistent as to who he is throughout the story, even if the meaning shifts with life's milestones. Dale is confident, intellectual, but overbearing. We see this even in the format of the story. What we know about Maddie is filtered through the lens of what Dale thinks/says about Maddie. She becomes buried under his intentions. Best line: "That every word he spoke now was like a hand on top of ...

Reply

Wally Schmidt
20:11 Feb 28, 2023

AIR-iss (so more like, the Air Is or Heiress depending on how quickly you say it and nothing to do with that red herring of an "e") Maybe one day there will be a prompt about your first name (I hope so) or maybe I'll just write one without one, ILYK. Anyway thank you so much for your comments. It is funny that the really dark line that you mentioned above appealed to other readers as well, but that is a line that almost got cut on the editing room floor as they say. I like stories where you discover a character through the lens of someone ...

Reply

Aeris Walker
18:40 Mar 03, 2023

Congrats on the shortlist, Wally!!!!

Reply

Wally Schmidt
20:36 Mar 03, 2023

Thanks so much for your support. It means the world coming from a talent like yours

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
KT George
14:38 Feb 28, 2023

This gave me goosebumps, and the ending...wow. Powerful. Great job with the prompt, invoking emotion throughout and landing the ending. This had elements of the kid's movie Up! That thing always gets me in the feels.

Reply

Wally Schmidt
19:56 Feb 28, 2023

Sounds a bit dark for a kid's flick. I'll check it out tho

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Lindquist
06:58 Feb 28, 2023

I must admit, at first, the "Dale was adamant" part was throwing me off, but by the end it had such power. Well done. You did the prompt well.

Reply

Wally Schmidt
07:08 Feb 28, 2023

Thanks for stopping by and reading John. I appreciate it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:54 Feb 27, 2023

"That every word he spoke now was like a hand on top of my head holding me down beneath the dark soil of the earth." Oof. That line hit. This story moves effortlessly from its initial optimism into despair, coloring the repetition differently with each paragraph. Well done!

Reply

Wally Schmidt
21:54 Feb 27, 2023

Thanks for letting me know what you thought about that line. The original inspiration for it was even darker than that if you can imagine (don't). I appreciate you reading and following. I am writing a book and hope that one day having 'followers' may convince an editor that I am worth taking a look at. Good luck with your writing journey!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lindsey B
05:12 Feb 27, 2023

What an excellent character study. The repetitive sentences really make the story-- Dale sucks, but he doesn't think he does, and he doesn't know why he sucks.

Reply

Wally Schmidt
21:55 Feb 27, 2023

Well said Lindsey!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin V
23:59 Feb 26, 2023

This is really good Wally! I have someone in my life struggling with deep depression and mental illness and you capture so well the lack of understanding in people who don't. You can't, really, just tell somone to get 'over it.' They need to be loved through it. Dale personifies so much of society today - its rigidness and inability to have compassion for others. Too many are too into themselves. For me, I believe this is the best entry of this type I've read (certainly better than mine). It certainly ranks up there. Thank you for an enjoya...

Reply

Wally Schmidt
22:00 Feb 27, 2023

KV I know I could always use a little love and the whole world could use a little more compassion. So glad you joined Reedsy this month-your storytelling is enchanting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Betsy Ellis
22:34 Feb 26, 2023

This is a very relatable post. I am a depressed person who struggles with suicidal ideation. And there is little understanding of this type of relationship in which a person creates a future which is based on fantasy of what they imagine rather than real love of the other person. Life doesn't often work out as we plan. "The best laid plans of mice and men" and all that. This is really the most inconspicuous form of abuse if you ask me. It hides under of a guise of love and caring and future building, but the person was interested in bui...

Reply

Wally Schmidt
22:05 Feb 27, 2023

While it wasn't my intention to hit a nerve, I obviously did. Good luck to you Betsy!

Reply

Betsy Ellis
21:03 Mar 01, 2023

I was explaining how I related to the story and thanked you for helping others understand my situation through your story. It really isn't "hitting a nerve", it is telling you how I relate. That is the feedback most readers hope to gain when someone reads their story. I have seen famous singers and musicians talk about how they received fan letters saying that a song changed their life or made them feel less alone. That is the purpose of art, is it not? to elicit an emotional response or to make us feel something. There is a difference be...

Reply

Wally Schmidt
23:11 Mar 01, 2023

Agreed. Sorry if I did not express myself clearly. I did not mean to imply I hit one of your nerves, just in general this piece seemed to evoke a lot of feelings and you're right that IS healthy.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nathaniel Miller
19:44 Feb 26, 2023

Great story, Wally. Poignant, thought-provoking, tragic. Also, an interesting take on sexism and mens' "adamancy" that they're right, that they know what they're talking about. And because of that adamance, mens' inability to empathize with others or feel anything except outside of themselves. Also, a painful, thoughtful look into depression and suicidal thoughts. You used this prompt masterfully; the repetition of the starting line of each paragraph really creates a believable, deep character in the narrator. A character who is defined b...

Reply

Wally Schmidt
22:06 Feb 27, 2023

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:52 Feb 26, 2023

Wally, this was very well done. I love how the main character’s story is actually framed within the narrative of Dale’s confidence. While Dale was assuring himself, his partner was living in struggle and doubt. It’s a very pointed juxtaposition! Great job 👏👏👏

Reply

Wally Schmidt
15:15 Feb 26, 2023

I think sometimes when people are struggling it is often overlooked by people who are the closest to them (until its too late) because they are so wrapped up in their own heads and sometimes people who are uber-confident are actually very demanding of those they are with. I appreciate your take on this. Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
13:52 Feb 26, 2023

Dale is so focused on his own ideas of what life should be rather than what it is, he misses the main point which is his wife’s pain and need for support which had serious implications. His character was aggravating, to say the least. That, along with the repeated line, made the story truly effective.

Reply

Wally Schmidt
15:09 Feb 26, 2023

So well put Helen :...focused on his own ideas of what life should be rather than what it was. (I may need to use that for another story I am writing). I think we all do this from time to time, but certain people do it to excess, with disasterous results. I found the idea of the repetition of a line for the story prompt to be aggravating in itself which is how I came up with the idea for this story. Thanks for your insightful comments, Much appreciated.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Wally Schmidt
17:54 Mar 04, 2023

Update: I DiD use your phrase Helen in another story I wrote. Thank you! I created an extra challenge for myself last week by working in 'banana bread' to each of my stories. Then when I read your sentence, "focused on his own ideas of what life should be rather than what it was' I knew I wanted to work that into my story too. So I did. But actually it is really a good framing device for thinking about a character's personality in general.

Reply

Helen A Smith
18:35 Mar 04, 2023

I’m glad you found it helpful. It’s interesting and fascinating how other people view our stories. It can be insightful. I wish I had a magic wand so I could write my stories quickly. They take so long!!

Reply

Wally Schmidt
18:49 Mar 04, 2023

For me the stories come quickly or not at all. I never force myself to write about that which does not inspire me, prompt-wise. I have been slogging through writing a book, so comparatively, the stories I can write short stories really quickly and they afford closure which I love.

Reply

Helen A Smith
18:53 Mar 04, 2023

I know what you mean, but sometimes I am inspired by a prompt, but struggle to dig it out of myself because I need more time. It’s good to have closure in a story, but then I want to write more about the characters. I get hooked on their lives 🤨

Reply

Helen A Smith
18:54 Mar 04, 2023

The characters feel like they need to belong in a book!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Jon Casper
11:17 Feb 26, 2023

What a tragedy. If only Dale had been more adamant about *knowing* Maddie, rather than all the other things he was so sure about. It's important to realize you don't have all the answers. Your take on the prompt was excellent and the story was gripping and frustrating and sad. Well done!

Reply

Wally Schmidt
15:16 Feb 26, 2023

Appreciate you comments Jon. So true.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Beth Jackson
08:39 Feb 26, 2023

I really enjoyed this story, Wally! You used the repetition masterfully. I loved the way you developed Dale's character and how you asked the reader to shift from seeing him as relentlessly enthusiastic to a total bully. This was beautifully written and thoroughly enjoyable to read. Thank you for sharing. =)

Reply

Wally Schmidt
15:11 Feb 26, 2023

Thanks for reading Beth! You're right-there can be a fine line between 'relentlessly enthusiastic' and a bully. As Wendy says, people like this are exhausting to be around

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J. D. Lair
00:45 Feb 26, 2023

My heart raced throughout the story and the ending was perfect! The cadence reminded me of The Raven. Well done!

Reply

Wally Schmidt
03:08 Feb 26, 2023

Thanks so much for reading and leaving a comment. My goodness I haven't read The Raven in years. I'll have to go track it down and have a re-read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Molly Kelash
23:54 Feb 25, 2023

Such a great way to handle this prompt! I was a bit daunted by it myself, but this was a masterful example of how to utilize repetition to strengthen the story. And about that, I am adamant! :)

Reply

Wally Schmidt
00:05 Feb 26, 2023

; }

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
04:56 Feb 25, 2023

Good ending. The prompt request became...intrusive on the story. -good use of a storyline. I really hate this set of prompts... The judge has said he doesn't care about the story. We are all here for the story. - he is adamant... How many times can this be said before it becomes useless. I suppose that is the point of your story even though the actions show otherwise. Good stuff.

Reply

Wally Schmidt
19:39 Feb 25, 2023

Couldn't agree with you more Tommy about this set of prompts

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.