Contest #186 shortlist ⭐️

109 comments

Contemporary Fiction

CW: mentions of miscarriage and suicide

Dale was adamant. Adamant that chocolate chips belonged in banana bread, that health care should be universal, and that rap music is an acquired taste. He thought people who grew up with grandparents close-by had a deeper sense of security than those who didn’t, and that saying hello to people you passed, whether you knew them or not, was the foundation of civilization.

Dale was adamant. Adamant that I was the most beautiful girl he had ever been with and that he wanted to share his future with me. He had big dreams of trips we would take and places we would go. After dinner, we’d take long walks around the neighborhood stopping in somewhere on our stroll to meet up with neighbors or have a nightcap. “If we couldn’t get to Italy, we’d bring Italy to us,” he declared.

Dale was adamant. We didn’t need a big, fancy wedding to prove to the world that we were meant for each other, and we didn’t need to wait ‘til we graduated. “I’ve never loved anyone more in my whole life. Why wait?’ he reasoned, as I grabbed my coat and we headed for city hall.

Dale was adamant. “You’ll finish your degree one day,” he said, although my body told me that holding down a full-time job, trying to start a family, volunteering at the rehab center, and training for a 5K were about all I could handle, and that graduate courses would have to be a part of someone else’s life trajectory.

Dale was adamant. We would win the lottery, inherit an unexpected windfall, and move to a nicer neighborhood. We would stop the long commutes and the shitty jobs and have time to sit around with the kids we still didn’t have. We’d tell stories by the fireplace, either our own or at a cabin we’d rented in some magical place. There’d be snow and mugs of hot chocolate, or homemade glögg and candles if the kids were in bed.

Dale was adamant. Adamant that neither one of us would take up golf or crafts in retirement. We would travel extensively and read about all the places we’d go, and cultures and languages we would encounter. We would host wild birthday parties for our grandchildren without electronics or ponies, but with plenty of ice cream and cake and candles and wishes.

Dale was adamant. Conspiracy theories, while trendy, were poppycock. Except for one. He truly believed that you could fail a drug test if you consumed poppy seeds. “It’s true, Maddie. The Department of Health has warned that eating poppy seeds could cause a codeine positive urine analysis.” Every time he mentioned this, I wondered if he had a similar theory for why I continued to be barren.

Dale was adamant. I was going to get pregnant and we were going to be parents. He offered to adjust his diet with mine. We would eat foods that were rich in antioxidants like folate and zinc and take multi-vitamins by the handfuls. We would reduce our stress levels and focus on love-making and not procreating. We would cut down on caffeine and increase our iron intakes. We’d eat more garlic-or abandon it completely- as soon as he looked into what was best for conceiving.

Dale was adamant. We would not shelter our children and would not expose them to organized religion. We’d let our children make their own choices, simple things like which cereal to have for breakfast and which extra-curricular activities to participate in, so they’d become independent and confident in their ability to think for themselves. We’d share-but not impose- our values on our children and we’d stress that education is important, but it is even more important to be a nice person.

Dale was adamant. We had done ‘everything right’ in order to conceive, but we needed to do more. We needed to nest-build. So, over the next few weekends, we’d paint the baby’s room, buy a rocking chair, and assemble a crib. We’d visualize this baby into life. My head hurt. If visualization worked, I would be pregnant right now. I do not know what Dale will say when he realizes my body is not cooperating with his plan.

Dale was adamant. It was probably the car accident that provoked the miscarriage. Losing your best friend must have been a shock to the system and your body probably shut down. “We can try again,” he says. I nod, but there is so much blood and so much loss. I don’t know if I can.

Dale was adamant. The miscarriage was a setback, but it’s not the end. We can try in vitro or we can adopt. Maybe find a surrogate. Looking at me he adds, “You need to stop crying though. You really do.” I try, but I can’t.

Dale was adamant. I should talk to someone. My attitude is starting to affect this marriage. I cry too much. And if I’m not crying, I just seem so damn miserable. I stifle a sniffle when he tells me, “Not having a baby is not the end of the world. Not going to graduate school doesn’t mean you’re stupid or can’t get the job you want. And a lot of people have lost their best friend in car accidents, but they pick up the pieces and get on with their lives.” He could not see how low I had sunk. That I could no longer pull myself out of the dark hole I was in. That every word he spoke now was like a hand on top of my head holding me down beneath the dark soil of the earth.

Dale was adamant. He wanted a divorce. I have more issues than he was willing or able to deal with. He needed to move on. Be with someone else. And I needed to take care of my mental health challenges. Stop talking about killing myself. “Where did you think that was going to get you?” he asked concerned and annoyed in equal measures.

Dale was adamant. His new wife was not pleased he comes over here. I should know better than to talk about ending it all. I should know that threatening suicide is serious. “Sure, you’re feeling badly, but I know you, you’d never try to hurt yourself. You could never end your life. Right?”  I didn’t tell him that I could, that I might, that I would.

Dale was adamant. But so was I.

February 24, 2023 17:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

109 comments

Michelle Oliver
01:04 Feb 25, 2023

Wow Wally, so powerful. The way you showed the changes in the relationship as it slowly crumbled was amazing. Dale was so adamant, that he was almost always a bully to her. It seemed as if it was his way or no way and believed that the power of his will could make things happen, then when it failed, it was not his fault. Interesting that he was still there for her at the end, but still so insensitive to her struggles and her inner turmoil. So good to read another of you wonderful stories.

Reply

Wally Schmidt
01:47 Feb 25, 2023

Michelle-thanks so much for letting me know what you thought about the story. Headed over to read yours.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
00:47 Feb 25, 2023

Excellent Wally. Given a difficult prompt you nailed it. I spent the whole read hoping it would turn out different. The writing just kept me in it. What a sad but all too common story.

Reply

Wally Schmidt
01:43 Feb 25, 2023

I wish it had turned out differently too. When I started writing the story, I initially thought it was going to be a story about Dale, but then I realized the real story is how his Dale-ness affects Maddie, so that is what the story ended up being about. At a certain point in the writing process, I just let the characters take over and let them do what they have to do, so in that sense, the ending was a little out of my control. Does that happen to you when you write?

Reply

Jack Kimball
02:54 Feb 25, 2023

Yes. The characters taking over. As Ray Bradbury says in Zen and the Art of Writing. (If only I would listen!) ‘WORK, RELAXATION, DON’T THINK, once separated out. Now, all three together in a process. For if one works, one finally relaxes and stops thinking. True creation occurs then and only then. But work, without right thinking, is almost useless. I repeat myself, but, the writer who wants to tap the larger truth in himself must ask himself, “What do I really think of the world, what do I love, fear, hate?” and begin to pour this on paper.’

Reply

Wally Schmidt
03:10 Feb 25, 2023

Wow. That says so much. Going to keep this in mind and come back to it. Thanks for sharing

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Meg Deiss
00:22 Feb 25, 2023

Very, very well written. Yes, we've all met Dale's in our lives and this is written to type. Great ending.

Reply

Wally Schmidt
03:10 Feb 26, 2023

Appreciate your reading Meg!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
23:44 Feb 24, 2023

Holy Sh-t! I’m still sitting here with my mouth hanging open after reading that. The story itself, Dale’s personality and attitude, and his failure to be sensitive to his wife is so well captured in this very clever piece of writing…not to mention how superbly you wrote to the prompt requirements. Awesome writing. No wonder you’ve been shortlisted twice. Won’t surprise me if this one is shortlisted too. Respect. 🙏

Reply

Wally Schmidt
23:52 Feb 24, 2023

Thank you Viga -gobsmacked is exactly what I was going for. Hope you'll read my other stories too.

Reply

Viga Boland
00:21 Feb 25, 2023

Well I’ve added you to those whom I want … and need…to follow. So I’ll be back for sure! And yes, I was gobsmacked LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
19:10 Feb 24, 2023

Nice to see your name in the list this week, Wally! And what a wallop this story packed! I know a character like Dale, and he is exhausting to be around... you've presented "the type" really well, especially as overlaid on top of a very real and increasingly frail person who just might find the strength to do it, in the end. I thoroughly enjoyed your story!

Reply

Wally Schmidt
19:41 Feb 24, 2023

Thanks so much Wendy, and thanks also for being the most supportive writer on Reedsy! Much appreciated, although I still wonder how you find the time to read every story out there (that must be your super-power)

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
20:03 Feb 24, 2023

haha Well this week was a bust - I had Covid for most of it. Slowed down that superpower. *grin* But back to 100% and at it again! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Wendy Kaminski
15:13 Mar 03, 2023

Many congrats on the shortlist, Wally - this absolutely deserved recognition! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Wally Schmidt
20:24 Feb 24, 2023

So sorry to hear about the covid. Hope you get the 'I hardly knew I had it kind' and not the kick-you-in-the-butt version that I had. Glad to hear things are looking up

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.