0 comments

Funny American Coming of Age

"No," Jennifer Stik said the moment she laid eyes on it. "No, no, no."

The envelope was small and white, with dainty little birds decorating the edges. It was addressed to Jennafer Style, from 'The Meeting RHS Corporation.'

Jennifer knew exactly what it was. And she'd been trying for 10 years to avoid it.

"Of course they spelled my name wrong. OF COURSE!!" Jennifer yelled, throwing her hands up into the air in frustration. Her fiancé, Dellard Buchots, poked his head into the kitchen.

"Honey, are you okay?" He asked, running his fingers through his wispy blond hair. "Is something wrong with the mail?"

"No, Dean, I'm fine." Jennifer said coldly, her attitude saying the exact opposite of her answer.

"Yeah. Right. I'll leave you to be with your mysterious enemy, then," Dean said, pushing up his glasses and disappearing back into the dining room.

Jennifer could not believe it. She'd spent years trying to evade this, even changing her last name to stop the stupid 'corporation' from finding her. But of course, they had found her. They never gave up, did they? Why would they have changed in the last 10 years?

"Silly me, to think that they'd give up the last 60 times they tried finding me," Jennifer sighed, cursing.

She knew she'd have to open the envelope sometime. But she didn't want to. Open what she'd spent half her life avoiding only to find that it was laying right in front of her? No way.

Jennifer angrily snatched up the card and stomped into the dining room. Dean lifted his head from his computer.

"Yes?"

"Open it," Jennifer grumbled, but it sounded more like 'hpn ht.'

"Pardon? Honey, are you okay?"

Jennifer cursed again, and Dean's eyes widened. "Just open it!" She said, shoving the envelope into Dean's hands.

"Okay...?" Dean did as told, tearing at the envelope until he revealed a small slip of white paper. He paused for a moment, inspecting it.

"How nice," he said as he handed his fiancé the paper. "A high school reunion. I didn't know you went to Rockwood."

"I wish I didn't," Jennifer mumbled, grabbing the paper from Dean. "May 16th," she murmured. She tossed the card into Dean's lap. "Yup, can't go, so sad, I'll call the school and inform them of this tragedy."

Dean raised an eyebrow. "What're you doing then?"

Jennifer smirked. "Wouldn't you like to know."

"Come on!" Dean said, jumping up from his chair. "Spill it!"

"Finefinefine," Jennifer said quickly. "I'm going to the mall."

"The mall?" Dean repeated.

"That's what I said," Jennifer said, pursing her lips. "With...with Lacey."

"Oh my God," Dean said, leaning on a chair and rubbing his forehead. "Jennifer Stik would rather spend an afternoon with Lacey than go to a high school reunion?! You're nuts!"

"We do have plans," Jennifer said, sighing theatrically. "So, I suppose that the reunion will have to go on without me."

"Like heck it will," Dean said, grabbing his phone and picking up the card.

"What're you doing?" Jennifer asked, trying to yank the card out of her husbands hand.

"I'm calling the Meeting RHS Coorporation," Dean said in a matter-of-fact tone, dialing the number.

"What?!" Jennifer asked, appalled. "NO!"

She lunged at Dean, who dodged her with a quick sidestep.

"Honey, you need to socialize every once in a while. Besides, you'll see old friends! It'll be fun!"

"And old enemies," Jennifer spat, heaving herself up off the floor. "And believe me, I had a lot more of those than I ever did friends!"

"What about Hannah? You always talk about her?" Dean said, putting his phone to his ear.

"Correction. Enemy. Hannah was too-friendly. I hated her."

"Hello? Yes, I'm calling to inform you that a Jennifer Stik from '98 will be joining you on May 16th, along with her fiance, Dellard Butchots.." There was a silence, with Jennifer frantically trying to pry the phone from Dean's grip.

"Yes, I go by Dean," he said, grunting as he was clawed by Jennifer. “Why are you doing this to me?!” Jennifer pouted, admitting defeat and collapsing into a chair.

“I already told you,” Dean said, rolling his eyes. “Oh, no, I wasn’t talking to you, miss Kendra, sorry, it’s Jennifer I was… oh, yes, thank you. Uh huh. Okay, thanks. Okay, yes. Bye!” Dean sighed and closed his flip phone.

“It’s done!” He announced. Jennifer groaned. She suddenly bolted upright in her chair.

“Wait. Did you say ‘Kendra’?”

Dean shrugged. “I think that was her name, yeah.”

“Ooooohhh noo.” Jennifer smacked her forehead. “How is she still there?”

“I'm not catching on," Dean said, raising an eyebrow.

"KENDRA," Jennifer started, bellowing. "Is a world class jerk. She beat me in the Civics essay tournament."

"Yeah, what a pity." Dean scoffed sarcastically, rolling his eyes.

"Not only that," Jennifer continued. "But she has never let me live it down. Are you familiar with the term FliphardJenni?"

"Afraid I'm not."

"Well, allow me to broaden your horizons. That was the sick, stupid thing she called me for the next year."

"I see. Ah well. Too bad we can't take it back."

"Take what back?"

"The reservation," Dean explained. "Don't worry, I doubt you'll even see any of these people. They won't recognize you, and they might not even find you amidst the crowd."

Jennifer heaved a sigh. "What crowd?"

"I beg your pardon?"

"Rockwood wasn't the school it is today, Dellard," Jennifer said heavily. "We only had 200 students in the high school then. Half of them might not even show."

"Bloody..." Dean trailed off, eyeing his fiance with a grim expression. "Well, kill me with a bird, but I suppose I just got us into a tough situation, now, didn't I?" he asked, his heavy British accent ringing the air.

"Yup," Jennifer said. "Ya suure did."

* * * * * *

"Hello! Welcome to the Class of '98 High School Reunion! Here's a flyer that says the events that will be taking place! Enjoy, former Moose's!"

A young girl with dark skin and green eyes greeted Dean and Jennifer as they entered the gym of Rockwood High School. Jennifer ignored the girl, but Dean simply grabbed the flyer and nodded politely at the girl.

" 'Moose's'?" Dean asked once the couple had gotten out of earshot of the girl.

"Yup." Jennifer said stiffly, looking around the gym, unimpressed. "This place hasn't changed a bit. We still have the lamest mascot in the world, and I think the girl that greeted us was Miss Chvaliglres' daughter."

Dean gulped. "And who might...that be?"

"An old teacher that everyone hates with a passion. Except for Linda Gawlicker, of course. Teachers pet."

"Interesting...oh, I'm sorry!" Dean bumped into a woman with short, curly red hair and a navy dress. She turned around.

"You sh- JENNI!!!" The woman's voice was high, she had bright red lipstick on, and she smiled way too much.

"Good to see you too, Hannah," Jennifer mumbled, scratching the back of her neck. "We were just leaving."

"And who is this?!" Hannah said excitedly, nodding approvingly at Dean.

"This is my fiance. Dean, meet Hannah."

"Hello, Hannah," Dean said uncomfortably, smiling awkwardly.

"Ooh!" Hannah hugged Dean like they'd been friends all their life. She leaned closer to Jennifer. "An English man? You are spo-iled!"

"Thanks," Dean muttered sarcastically.

"So!" Hannah said energetically. "I'd like you to meet Jennifer Jaqui Jenkins!"

Hannah grabbed a young girl that was about age 7 and pulled her out of the crowd. She had long, straight red hair, freckles, and green eyes.

"You got married?!" Jennifer asked in astonishment. "And a kid?!"

"I named her after you. Isn't it great?!"

Jennifer could not believe this. How did Hannah, the annoying girl who thought she was her friend, end up having a husband and kids before her?! Unbelievable!

"I'm honored," Jennifer said, using all her will power to keep from rolling her eyes.

"Oh my goodness, have you met my husband? I must find him, I'm sure him and Dean can chit-chat about video game stuff or something!"

Dean whispered to Jennifer. "Video games? I have a job!"

Jennifer held back a giggle. "Sorry, Hannah, but we really need to go. Nice seeing you though!" She grabbed Dean's hand and began dragging him towards the punch table.

"What, but..Oh, pish and tosh, never mind me, have a good time seeing everyone!!" Hannah yelled after them.

"Do you see now?!" Jennifer whisper-screamed to Dean as she filled a plastic cup with punch.

"Okay, I'm sorry, alright? I thought you were overreacting! Besides, Hannah wasn't that bad!"

"So you fell for her sweetness? They all do." Jennifer said mysteriously, taking a swig of the punch. She made a face. "Death has come to pay me a difference."

"It's just punch, honey, I can't imagine--"

"Jennifer Style? Well bat my baby blues!"

"Oh no." Jennifer grimaced. "Hey, Kendra."

A blond woman wearing an extremely short dress with a strapless top smile at Jennifer. She had tall heels, lots of make-up, and the making of a model. Kendra eyed Dean, her eyes lighting up.

"Who might you be stranger? How'd a heap of hotness like you end up with Jennifer?" Kendra asked, placing a manicured finger on Dean's chest.

"Lay off, Kendra, he's my fiance!" Jennifer said angrily, yanking Kendra's finger off Dean.

"Fiance!" Kendra's eyes lit up, searching Dean. "He's gotta be a player. He wouldn't stay with you the rest of his life."

"Actually, I-" Dean started, but Kendra stopped him.

"ACCENT." She said, acting like a dog who'd just spotted a squirrel. "How about we go to the bar sometime, hot stuff?"

"I'd rather not," Dean said flatly. "As a matter of fact, I think I hear the car alarm going off. I'll go and check, honey."

Dean left for the exit, leaving Jennifer and Kendra alone.

"YOU JERK." Jennifer said, appalled that Kendra had tried to hit on her soon-to-be husband.

"What?" Kendra asked innocently. "I call 'em as I see 'em."

"He's my fiance, for Christs sake! Jesus, Kendra! You haven't changed one bit!"

"And you have?"

Jennifer was fuming. "I find one good thing in life, and you're trying to take it away! How inconsiderate can you be?!"

"Yawn. I have a life of adventure, FliphardJenni. And I also have a body worth showing."

"Shut up. The reason you go through 9 guys a year is because every one of them hates you and none want to spend the rest of their life with someone so self-absorbed."

Kendra frowned. "I must admit, you have grown when it comes to retorts. I'll be seeing you."

Kendra turned on her heel and stalked away, shaking her behind as she did so.

"Idiot," Jennifer griped. She quickly made her way towards the exit, out into the chilly May air. She met up with Dean by their car.

"Don't say it," Dean smirked, waving the car keys in the air."

"I told you so," Jennifer smiled.

And the two exchanged a passionate kiss right before they entered the car, started the engine, and drove out of sight, leaving the memories of Rockwood High presently behind them.

September 26, 2020 17:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.