The Small Green Lunchbox

Submitted into Contest #53 in response to: Write a story that begins with someone's popsicle melting.... view prompt

3 comments

General

Young, seven year old Marinella watched the droplet slowly slide down the popsicle and onto her hand, where it clung; frozen. Boom! Marinella flinched and whimpered when she heard the distant crash. She looked towards the sound and into the distance where she had last seen her father. 


“Daddy?” she called into the distance. No answer. 


- 9 years later - 

Marinella slid to a stop on the iceberg where she whirled around just in time to be tackled by Jaxon. 


“No fair!” Marinella cried as her back struck the ground. “You’re not allowed to do that!” 


“Do what?” Jaxon asked innocently. 


“You know what,” Marinella replied, nervously looking side to side at the people around them. 


“They won’t even notice,” Jaxon complained. 


“Even if they didn't, you said I couldn’t use mine so you can’t use yours.” Marinella said in her adult-like voice. 


“Yes Mom,” he replied sarcastically. 


Marinella rolled her eyes before placing her gloved hands on the ground to get up. 


“Jaxon!” she almost yelled before quickly quieting her voice. 


“What.” He asked with a hint of mischief in his voice.


Marinella glared at him. “If anyone finds out about us you know what could happen!”


“No one’s gonna find out.” Jaxon replied, now, very much annoyed. 


“You don’t know that.” Marinella said. 


“You can easily get out of it,” He said now taking his turn to roll his eyes. 


“That doesn’t mean other people won’t notice,” Marinella countered


“Fine,” Jaxon, seeing the glint in her eyes spoke quickly, “We won’t use them unless there are no other people around.” 


“Fine,” Marinella agreed before he changed his mind. 


“But you know what that means,” Jaxon said.


“What?” Marinella asked apprehensively, fearing a trick. 


“You can’t use your powers here since we’re around people,” He replied with a grin and a flourish at where she sat stuck to the ice. Marinella groaned and replied that he would never be reasonable if there wasn’t a trick involved. 


- The Next Day -


“Where are we searching today Marinella?” Jaxon asked when he saw her come out from the bathroom. 


“We went down the road to the south 5 miles yesterday so today we’ll go down it north 5 miles.” she replied, clearly having expected him to ask. 


“Yes ma’am.” He responded playfully. 


“Come on. I’ll drive.” Marinella grabbed the keys out of her backpack and slipped into the front seat of the rusty old car. It started with a lurch and a groan.


“Guess I'm ready then,” Jaxon said as he climbed into the car next to Marinella. The car crawled forward and soon they were driving down the road. Before long however, The car sputtered to a stop. With a creaking crash Marinella barely got it over to the side of the road where it stopped looking as if it would never move again. 


“Come on.” Marinella cried as she got out of the car to survey the damage. 


“And that’s what happens when you drive.” Jaxon sighed sarcastically. 


“Oh be quiet,” Marinella yelled at him, “come out and help.” 


“I don’t think this old thing is gonna move anymore.” Jaxon said, faking a knowledgeable tone. 


“It has to keep working” Marinella said uncompromisingly 


“It wasn’t gonna work for long Mari.” Jaxon replied 


“We don’t have another option. We only had this one chance.” She answered, still searching around the car for something to work on. 


“Maybe we need to move on from this,” Jaxon replied cautiously, “Maybe you should let it go.” 


“But, but, that means giving up on him.” Marinella whispered back, now close to tears. 


“Mari, we’ve searched for close to three years now and still haven't even found the cave-in. You tried. We both tried,” Jaxon responded gently, “Now we need to move on with our lives.” 


“But, Jax,” Marinella cried in between the sobs racking her body. 


“Mari, I’m sorry,” Jaxon sat down next to her and put his arm around her, “I won’t leave you.” 


“I know you won’t,” Marinella said, drying her eyes and getting up, “we should start going into town.” 


Jaxon stared up at her, “are you sure you’re okay?” He asked. 


“Yeah, I’m fine,” she replied shakily. 


“Okay,” Jaxon looked her up and down skeptically, “okay.” 


They walked for a few minutes down the side of the road for a while but despite it being broad daylight saw no cars. 


“Why oh why is this road so deserted?” Jaxon moaned. 


“It’s in the middle of an ice desert,” Marinella explained rolling her eyes, “did you expect to see a bunch of cars on a road that leads to the middle of Antarctica?” 


“At least one car could come by to see if there are any people whose car broke down on the side of the road and needed a lift to the nearest village.” he complained. 


“No one thinks there is anyone dumb enough on the entire planet to drive in antarctica in a twenty year old car.” Marinella began. 


“Yet apparently we are dumb enough.” Jaxon finished for her. 


“Apparently.” Marinella agreed. “Ahh.” Marinella winced as she hit her foot, stumbled over something, and fell onto the ground. 


“You alright?” Jaxon questioned. 


“Yeah, but what did I trip over?” she asked. 


“I don’t know,” Jaxon said looking back to where she had tripped, “there doesn’t appear to be anything there.” 


As Marinella got to her feet Jaxon walked over to where she had tripped, “Mari,” He breathed. Marinella came over to where he knelt looking at a strange box covered in splotches of peeling green paint and at that moment she was transported back to a 3 year old memory when she had told Jaxon about her father’s lunchbox. 



“Do you remember anything significant about your father?” Jaxon asked. Marinella smiled. 


“I don’t remember much, but I do remember his lunchbox. He had always liked Antarctica except for the fact that there was no plants or vegetation so when he was looking for a lunchbox he wanted it to have pictures of plants, but the only thing he could find online were just green lunchboxes. So he got a plain lunchbox and a bunch of paint in different colors. The only problem was he was never a good artist so when he bought a lunchbox it was perfectly smooth. Not knowing what he was doing he painted thick green vines and a few colorful flowers on it. After he finished he went inside to eat cookies and drink lemonade which I was helping Mama make. This was before she died.” Marinella remembered she had added. “Well Grandma was coming over today so she pulled into the driveway and came inside asking if her granddaughter was painting a lunchbox for kindergarten. Well dad rushed outside because of course she was talking about his lunchbox and all the paint because the lunchbox was so smooth had slid down the sides and it was all just a bunch of green splotches.” Jaxon had laughed there. 


“I guess you all laughed forever after that.” He had said. 


“Yeah. My mom and I were laughing hysterically about it and grandma was looking at us all confused until mom explained it to her. Well all she said was ‘oh dear’ which of course made us laugh even harder. Dad came in holding up his lunchbox and grimacing at it. And mom said we could wipe off the paint and try to do something else with it. But dad said he liked it how it was and that it would always remind him of me. But then I said ‘I could paint better than that!’ and sounding all offended.” 


Jaxon was crying, he was laughing so hard at that point and said “That sounds like something I would do!” 


“After that, he left it and that has been his lunchbox ever since.” 


The memory ended and Marinella realized she had been crying and laughing in between gasps. 


“This was your father’s.” Jaxon said. Simply stating it, not asking a question. 


Marinella replied anyway, “Yes. This was his lunchbox. He took it with him when the cave fell in.” 


“Oh,” Jaxon responded dumbly. 


Marinella looked at him with raised eyebrows “oh?” 


“Uh, I mean, we should look for the cave-in!” Jaxon tried to recover but failed dismally. 


Marinella sighed, and getting up said that he was hopeless. “Let’s look around.”


“Of course,” Jaxon replied, getting up, “I’ll look over here.” 


Rolling her eyes Marinella suggested he not look towards the road since they probably wouldn’t build a road over a cave. 


“Umm,” Jaxon thought about it, “you are quite brilliant!” he replied brightly! 


They looked for close to an hour and still didn’t find the cave-in. 


“It has to be here somewhere. He wouldn’t have put his lunchbox miles away from the entrance!” Marinella cried, exasperated. 


“Wait.” Jaxon mumbled.


“For what? ice to tumble; oh” Marinella jumped up, “you’re brilliant Jax! Come on we have to keep looking!” 


Marinella cried in triumph when the last of the ice gave way and an opening appeared. “This must be it! This has to be the cave!”


“Mari,” Jaxon began not knowing how to continue, “your dad might not, well what I mean is. I know you think that your dad survived the cave-in but I don’t see how that is possible. I mean to say we don’t know what we will find down there. So I think you should be ready for anything.” 


“Jax, I may think my dad survived but I'm not unreasonable. I’ve been waiting for this for 7 years. Do you think the only thing I’ve imagined is running into my dad's arms? Jaxon, I’m prepared for anything.” 


Despite this however, neither Jaxon nor Marinella could have ever prepared themselves for what they found in the near future. 


After collecting the lunchbox the two teenagers jumped down into the cave and turned on their flashlights, illuminating their surroundings. 


“It’s cold.” Jaxon said rubbing his arms.


“Really?” Marinella gasped, “I didn’t know an ice cave was going to be cold! How strange.” 


“Okay, okay!” Jaxon held up his hands, “you got me.” 


Marinella snorted and went deeper into the cave “that’s where the entrance would’ve been,” she said, pointing towards one end of the cave,


“So we should go that way.” Jaxon concluded pointing the opposite way of Marinella. 


“Good job!” Marinella said, faking congratulations. 


“Thank you!” Jaxon replied with a mock bow in her direction. 


They started walking and turned several corners inspecting a few of Marinella’s father’s supplies, while it got colder and colder. 


“This is going deep,” Jaxon observed and for once Marinella didn’t comment, for it was a good observation. It was indeed going deeper and deeper. 


Finally after a while they came to a sharp corner which had a light behind it. 


Marinella grabbed Jaxon’s hand “I don’t know if i’m ready.” she whispered, sounding panicky. 


“Mari, you’ve been waiting for this your whole life. You said it yourself.”


“But, what if he’s gone?” Marinella muttered back, close to tears. 


“You have to do this. If you don’t you will wonder all your life. What if he is there waiting for you and you don’t go? You can do this.” Jaxon whispered comfortingly. 


“Thank you,” Marinella said, leaning close to him. 


They had been friends for 9 years, ever since Marinella came to the orphanage that Jaxon was at. They had confided their deepest secrets to each other and they had stood up for each other when other kids bullied them. They had comforted each other when they needed it the most and they had slapped the other person when they were rude. They had run away from the orphanage together to look for Marinella’s father and they had hoped to find him and be a family. Now they were here, fearing what they would see but they were together here as well, and that was ultimately enough. 


“I’m ready now.” Marinella whispered to Jaxon still holding his hand. 


Together they stepped forward and around the corner. 


“Oh my goodness.” Jaxon gasped when the city was revealed. 


“What is this place?” Marinella asked, to no one in particular. 


“Welcome to Muntassir,” Marinella and Jaxon turned to see the man who had spoken, “it means victorious.” said the man as if it explained everything. 


“Thank you,” Marinella said, “may I ask who you are?”


“My name is Karthik Dayal. I live here in Muntassir.” The man further explained. 


“I see,” Marinella replied even though she most certainly did not see. 


“I don’t,” Jaxon said sounding very much confused, “what is this place and why does this happen to be the place Mari’s father disappeared?” 


“This is Muntassir,” began Karthik clearly confused at why that had to be further specified, “and I know nothing about Mari’s father.” the man finished 


“Yeah but why is there a city underneath antarctica?” Jaxon gestured below them to the sprawling buildings and parks. 


“Muntassir is a place for the rejected and lost to find a home,” Karthik patiently told them. 


At this point Marinella broke in, “Karthik? Do you know if a man named Simon Victor lives here?” 


“I do not know everyone in the city. I am merely the welcomer, but I know someone who might know of a Simon Victor.” Karthik smiled as he said this, happy to have helped. 


“Could you take us to that person?” Marinella, clearly not as flustered as Jaxon at the underground city, asked Karthik. 


“Yes, I believe I could.” Karthik said, leading the way down winding steps, “right this way.” 


Marinella and Jaxon followed Karthik down the steps and through many streets to a building larger and more set apart then the rest. Walking up the steps to the large doors Karthik knocked twice. The doors opened seemingly of their own accord and Karthik led them through to a small room. 


“Hello, newcomers,” a tiny voice said as they entered the smaller room, “welcome to my humble house.” 


“Thank you very much,” Marinella responded, “we were wondering if you know of a man named Simon Victor who might live here?” 


The small man turned towards her, “there is no Simon Victor in Muntassir at the moment. Although there was one who died about ten years ago. Would he possibly be who you were looking for?” 


Marinella sighed and replied that he would have arrived about nine years ago. 


“We shouldn’t be bothering you anymore. We will leave now thank you for your kindness and knowledge.” Marinella turned around to leave. 


“There was a man who was brought here nine years ago though he had lost his memory. I wonder if he might be your Simon victor though he certainly never mentioned a name.” 


Marinella turned back hopefully 


“Where is he now?” she asked. 


“He would be in the recovery building right outside the city. I’m sure Karthik could take you there.” the tiny man responded to her inquiry. 


“Thank you! You have been so very helpful.” Marinella said.  


Karthik walked out of the room with Marinella and Jaxon closely following and eventually (after many sightseeing stops) stopped in front of a building with a huge balcony stretching halfway across it. 


“this is the recovery building.” Karthik said motioning them inside. 


After stopping for directions at the front desk they went up in a contraption similar to an elevator and lead them to the end of the hall where a light blue door read #43. 


“Here we go.” Jaxon said pushing the door open. 


Stepping through the door Marinella gasped 


“Daddy?” The man in the armchair turned to look at them. 


“Hello?” The man said. 


Marinella’s smile faltered 


“Don't you remember me? Your daughter, the one you left when I was seven.”


“I don’t remember,” the man looked away, “I don’t remember anything.” 


Marinella walked across the room, tears in her eyes and knelt in front of her father. 


“You said that this would always remind you of me,” Marinella held up the lunchbox she had been carrying, “because grandma thought I had painted it. You said it would always remind you of your little Ella. you have to remember me!” Marinella sank to her knees and sobbed into her hands. 


“My little Ella? My little Ella. Ella!” Marinella lept up upon hearing at last the recognition in her father’s voice. 


“Ella?” The man in the chair reached out to hold her face in his hands. 


“Daddy?” Marinella replied 


“I’m here, my daughter,” Simon Victor responded, “I’m here at last.” 


- Epilogue -

Sixteen year old Marinella watched the droplet slowly slide down the popsicle and onto her hand, where it clung; frozen. She remembered that time so long ago when she was seven years old. She remembered the cold of Antarctica and the cold flavor of her popsicle as she bit into it. She remembered watching the popsicle as she slowly melted it watching it freeze as soon as she left it alone. And she remembered the distant crash as a cave-in rendered her father memoryless and alone. 


“Daddy.” she called into the room behind her. 


“Yes my little Ella?” Her father called back. 


“I love you,'' she told him as he came onto the balcony and wrapped his arms around her. 


“I love you too,” He replied back. And at that moment Marinella knew her father would never leave her. Whenever she called out to him he would always be right there to answer her.


“I love you guys too!” Jaxon called from inside the room, and together they all laughed. 

August 07, 2020 21:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

H. W. Autumn
16:29 Aug 14, 2020

I really liked the ending, although through parts of the story I was a little lost in who the characters were, their powers, etc. I wish you could have given a little more information about that (not too much though, I liked the way you gave room for imagination). Other than that, this story was really engaging, and I loved the wrap-up ending at the end. It really tied all the loose ends together. Great work!

Reply

Abby Irwin
19:42 Aug 14, 2020

Thank you! So glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anna Irwin
23:50 Aug 07, 2020

Very unexpected story line! Good detail and dialogue. Wonderful ending, that let your imagination go.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.