0 comments

Fantasy Desi Fiction

The wedding procession moved slowly down the narrow lanes of the small town. The bridegroom was sitting uneasily on the horse which appeared far better decked with golden seat cover, shiny leather bridle and golden cover eye shades, white body and long black tail. The bridegroom though nervous appeared happy behind the customary flowery veil hiding the real emotions. 

Groups of men and woman of all ages danced to the popular film tunes being played by a local band. On the other side at the bride’s home there was excitement and anxiety to receive the bridegroom and his relatives.

The bride’s parents in their best attire were waiting with garlands of marigold to welcome the groom and the relatives. The bride was in the inner quarters , all decked up in the best skills and jewellery. Everyone was excited about the wedding for this was the first wedding after the pandemic lockdown was lifted. Of course everyone took precautions of social distancing and covering their face with designer masks specially ordered for the occasion since the virus was still lurking in the shadows

The event manger took every care to decorate the lawns, the main hall as well as planned special menu to impress the guests.

 Meanwhile the bridegroom’s party barely moved half a furlong. Sheela and her friend Ruby were dancing in their own style . Both were dressed in similar colour dress and jewellery and almost appeared like twins. Sheela was the groom’s cousin. She worked in Bangalore. Her friend Ruby showed interest to attend a Punjabi wedding and so tagged along Sheela. 

Ruby was a shade taller, beautiful with very expressive eyes. She was thoroughly enjoying the dance with her friend. Some young men tried to inch towards these two girls and tried to flirt with them. Sheela was smarter and knew their intentions unlike the dumb Ruby who thought it was all a part of the custom. 

After of three hours of dancing the wedding party reached the bride’s house. The Horse seemed tired carrying the eighty kilo bridegroom. The bridegroom sitting on the horse for more than three hours was tired too and felt his butt was on fire. 

The close relatives of the groom and bride stood in a neat row. The groom got down from the horse and stood gingerly with legs shaking but he composed himself. Like a sacrificial goat, he put his head forward for the mother -in- law to welcome him with the ceremonial lamp, vermillion on the forehead and the father-in-law put the marigold garland around his neck. The garland exchange programme among relatives was in full swing as per the traditions of welcoming the guest.

Sheela and Ruby were also welcomed. Ruby was excited to have the garland around her neck and started feeling the soft flowers. They moved towards the beautiful lawns. Sheela was seen animatedly talking to the relatives from the bride’s team. Meanwhile Ruby moved on her own to understand the tradition of this grand wedding.

In one corner, she saw rows of tables set with eye catching gourmet arranged in neat bowls. The guests were already making a bee line towards the food counter. Ruby felt has if all those people had only come to enjoy food and not to bless the couple. She was not interested in eating the food which was anyway not her choice. One young man walked towards her and offered a plate.Ruby smiled at him and with her eyes expressed gratitude. Before he could strike a conversation, he was called away by his friends. 

Ruby started observing the guest. One fat lady had a mountain of food on her plate. As if this was not enough she took an additional helping of sweets and lots of ice-cream. Ruby noticed that a group of children wasting lot of food and the parent were indifferent. 

Ruby looked at the special stage decorated with variety of flowers almost packed with dozen of relatives , the groom and bride were sitting on a ornate sofa . All were participating in some rituals conducted by a priest in dhoti and kurta. On the pool side of the lawns , she saw group of men enjoying the bachelor party. Ruby almost captured pictures with her beautiful eyes.

Suddenly she felt a hand clutching her hand and one more hand clasping tightly on her mouth . Before she could realise, she was bodily lifted and carried away to a nearby bushes. She wondered who could it be? her head hung down like a bat. She could not see the face of her kidnapper. 

Near the bushes she was mercilessly thrown down. She felt as if her backbone broke. The way her body was it was difficult to get herself repaired. 

She looked at her kidnapper. Same young man who had offered her a plate at the food counter. But she wondered who could he be? 

The man was almost hissing and spoke “ what do you think of yourself? All the digital romance was for just experimenting with my emotions? You blocked my contact ! I tried other ways to get in touch with you but you never reciprocated. I came to know through mutual friends that you are one of the guests in this wedding. I was waiting for the right opportunity to catch you. I was confused looking at your stupid friend but glad you left her and moved on your own. Either you marry me right now or i would rather kill both of us”, laughing like a maniac he brandished a sharp knife. 

Ruby didn’t panic but looked at him and wondered what kind of love was that? She had different notion of human love where sacrifice mattered and not revenge. She didn’t speak a word . She pitied the young man. The fellow got more wild. He tried to pierce the knife through her.

Ruby sprung like an agile leopard and twisted the arm of the young man. She placed a hard powerful kick on his back. The young man fell down and looked at her in shock. 

He saw Ruby picking up the knife and crushing between her palms and throwing it on the ground.

‘Who are youuu..?”stammered the young man .

“Sorry my mistake . I should have introduced myself. I always failed in this program. Well I am Ruby , the first android made by Sheela who brought me here to study human behaviour and often spoke about a young man whom she loved and today wanted to propose him... glad I am not programmed to fall in love... “, finishing her words in one breath, Ruby kicked her tormentor once again and left the place whistling softly.

February 26, 2021 17:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.