308 comments

Mystery

“Who did you meet, Babe?”


“My ex.” My fiancee replies, flashing his beautiful smile, along with the lovely dimples on his cheeks.


I thought Bella died? Or he had a girlfriend after Bella?


As curiosity fills me, I turn my head, trying to have a peek on whomever he is talking about. Watching my action, he lets out a chuckle. “Don’t be jealous. She already died a long time ago.”


So it was Bella.


---


Bella was a girl that I hated.


Back in high school, she had shoulder-length, wavy red hair that was beautifully paired with her dark brown eyes. I remembered her upper lip was thick, but not the lower one. On those lips, she always put on a pink-coloured lip balm. Another outstanding feature of hers was the high cheekbones, the one she shaded with a pink blush.


Uh, she looked tacky with those pink makeup all over her face.


Back then, she was a popular figure. She wasn’t the smartest girl alive, nor did she represent the school’s sports team. Yet, born with hourglass, model-like proportions, she led the cheerleader team to various competitions. With that title, she gained respect from the other girls in the school.


And, yeah, boys liked her presence too.


However, during the last year of high school, she got a boyfriend: a boy from the basketball team. A kind-hearted boy who never pulled off insensitive jokes, who would smile to anyone, who never judged anyone from the cover. A boy who had a crush toward her since the first year of high school.


A boy whom I loved back then, and still do even to these days.


From thereon, the two always spent their lunch break together. Despite separated by the different classroom, Bella would come to visit the boy when the lunch break began. With a packed lunchbox in her hands, the couple enjoyed the meal as they spoon-fed each other.


And I was there, watching their lovey-dovey action from the end of the cafeteria, secretly wishing I could be the one who fed my love.


And I buried my face into the food as soon as Bella noticed my stare.


The two sometimes studied together at the library. The boy was smart, one of the top performers during the exam period. Meanwhile, the dumb Bella sat beside him, tried her best to understand whatever he taught. Then, when she became tired from studying, she leaned her head on his shoulder, intertwined her fingers to his.


And I was there, watching their publicly displayed physical affection from the other table, secretly wishing my hands were the one locked with his.


And I hid behind the book as soon as Bella turned her head towards me.


The two often seen near the basketball court. The boy focused on his basketball practice, while Bella cheered on him from the side. The boy who smiled whenever his three-pointers were in; the girl who screamed his name from the top of her lung.


And I was there, watching the boy’s game from the other side of the court, secretly wishing that his smiles were for me.


And I grabbed my bag, ran away as soon as Bella’s eyes met mine. 


The two rarely fought or argue with each other. But when they had one, they had it at the old park behind the school building.


“Who’s that green-eyed girl?” The girl opened the discussion while sounding upset.


“Who?”


“The ugly and fat bitch who keeps following you, Kevin! The one who keeps lurking around us, continuously staring with her creepy dark green eyes!”


And I was there, listened to the whole conversation, secretly wished that he chose me instead of this foul-mouthed woman.


And I left the two as soon as Bella’s tone turned happy from the boy’s apology.


The two never came back to school after that day. Rumour said the two went on a trip and involved in a car accident.


And people assumed both of them died since no one ever saw either coming back to school since the crash.


And while I felt happy that Bella was dead, I felt a deep sadness thinking I could never see the boy that I love anymore.


And I cried for a couple of nights, grieved the loss of my first love as I gave a rest to my jealousy.


---


Exactly eight years after high school graduation, I had to blink twice, questioned what I saw. I thought he was dead, but there he was, right in front of me on the pedestrian-only bridge.


I was no longer the same me from high school. Not the ugly girl who couldn’t wear makeup, not the fatty girl who could be looked down, not the creepy one who could only stare from afar. 


Yet once again, I followed him secretly.


The boy seemed different from what I could remember. He looked unhappy, completely different from his persona back in high school. His dark brown eyes looked lifeless, his footsteps were powerless, beautiful smiles disappeared from his face.


The boy reached the edges of the bridge, then jumped straight right into the river. The boy who made me panic-dive into the water; the boy whom I managed to pull out and save from the strong currents.


“I don’t know what your experiences were, but don’t throw away your life!”


Ah, my first sentence to him turned to be something out of anger.


Ah, yes, this was the first time I talked to Kevin, despite knowing him for ages.


The boy cried as soon as he heard my scolding. His shoulder shivered, although I couldn’t tell whether it was from his emotions or the coldness of the water that drenched his entire outfit.


The boy who then opened up and told me what happened on the day of the car crash.


About him who suggested to fulfil Bella’s wish. Any wish that could calm her down of being upset from some “stalker” back in high school.


About Bella who welcomed that idea, forced him to bring her for a stargazing picnic at the observatory atop the mountain.


About him who sneakily took off with his father’s car, although he was still learning how to drive.


About them who fell from the cliff, about Bella who lost her life.


Ah, this boy also grieved from the loss of his first love, just like me.


It’s even worse since he was the one who took her life.


The boy followed me after that incident. The vulnerable boy whom I took care of, the heartbroken boy who needed support in life. The boy who gradually gained back his smile and slowly moving on with his life.


The boy or I should say, the man, who turned twenty-eight when kneeled with a diamond ring in front of me.


Ah, this man finally looked at me, not at Bella.


---


“Then, you mean…, you just met a ghost?”


Kevin looks directly at my eyes and nods, still with a smile on his face.


And so I turn my head toward the tombstones once again.


Yeah, I can’t see her, but I know that she can see me.


And I know that she will remember about me.


The girl she called “ugly”.


The girl she called “fatty”.


The one with very, very dark green eyes.


July 31, 2020 01:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

308 comments

Hafsha Rashid
04:28 Aug 17, 2020

Wow this story's so great. But can u help me..... What can i do if i don't want this type of story to be romantic? How can I use the best friend here?? Like a friend? Not boyfriend or girlfriend? Literally I haven't read any of the stories so heart touching. I want to write one for my best friend .. You r so great.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
08:33 Aug 17, 2020

Hi Hafsa, I believe a similar concept for friends could've been good too! :)

Reply

Hafsha Rashid
10:48 Aug 17, 2020

Can u tell me what i can add there for a friend or kinda remove ?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Parul Srivastava
11:33 Aug 14, 2020

Loved it! What obsession and envy twined together, amazing. Please read mine too and leave a review ❣

Reply

Deborah Angevin
11:39 Aug 14, 2020

Thank you for reading it, Parul! Yes, I will read yours too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:12 Aug 13, 2020

This is wonderful, Deborah! I love how its like a continuation of your former story, 'Pink(y) promises' A really great read in romance, Brava! I don't even know WHO to stand with right now, is it the jealous dark eyed girl, or the 'dumb' obnoxious Bella...? (P.S Deb, would you mind reading my recent story, 'Kaima', thanks!)

Reply

Deborah Angevin
23:23 Aug 13, 2020

Glad that you enjoyed the series! And sure, will check out yours too :D

Reply

23:44 Aug 13, 2020

Thanks! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
J. Ernst
19:26 Aug 10, 2020

This is such an eerie and captivating well written story! I really like the ending. Great job on this story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
J.L. Schuhle
15:40 Aug 10, 2020

Im reading this after finishing Pinky Promise. You've done an excellent job at remaining true to your writing style while also depicting a completely different character and other side of the story.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
23:03 Aug 10, 2020

Thank you for the kind words, Jessica :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Quill Porter
05:49 Aug 07, 2020

Omg, that was amazing! The way you portrayed jealousy? On the spot. It was very relatable and I can really feel the frustration from the narrator. It was good. It was Nice. Keep up the good work!🤍

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:14 Aug 07, 2020

Thank you for the kind words, Quill! Mind checking out the next story as well, "(Pink)y Promise"? It is a sequel to this one! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anousha Johar
03:36 Aug 07, 2020

Amazing story,it's kinda like my story.I love the details you put in this

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:15 Aug 07, 2020

Glad that you enjoyed it :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
<inactive> .
18:41 Aug 06, 2020

I loved how you portrayed her jealousy! I am almost completely sure your new story ((Pink)-y Promise) is a prequel to this?? Also, I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, but this story mentions a lot of green and your new one mentions a lot of pink. Pink is the exact opposite of green. Nice little touch!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
22:15 Aug 06, 2020

Yes, "Orange-Coloured Sky", "Red, Blue, White", "A Very, Very Dark Green", and the "(Pink)y Promise" are connected with each other :D

Reply

<inactive> .
09:36 Aug 07, 2020

Yayyy, thanks for confirming! Big hugs

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dani DeLeon
15:24 Aug 06, 2020

Okay, so. I really like this. You can feel the jealousy and obsession of the main character, she seems like a unreliable narrator because of this, and I really liked that. Now it does get a little muddled in the middle, not like the story but the prose could be clearer. When he tells her about the crash, that's when I got a little lost, I read it more slowly and understood it. But still very good overall. Its a really creepy and well written story. Your character work is something to marvel at and the almost Gothic-horror tone got me r...

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:17 Aug 07, 2020

Hi Dani, for more details on the crash, read my recent submission, "(Pink)y Promise"! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Phebe Emmanuel
13:29 Aug 06, 2020

She's so jealous I love her! And I think, now that I've read this, that Kevin actually deserves this unknown girl. She's sweet and lifts him up, not breaks him down. Great job!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:18 Aug 07, 2020

Hahaha! Glad that I can change people's perspectives depending on from whose side the story is told to!

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
14:15 Aug 07, 2020

You really do! There are sides in each story that are left untold, and depending on what you read first, you pick up an opinion of who is the best. It's amazing!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:56 Aug 08, 2020

Thank you for the kind words <3

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
04:28 Aug 09, 2020

You deserve it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jane Andrews
11:56 Aug 06, 2020

Forgot to say in previous comment, another strong feature of this is that you very sneakily get ya to feel emotionally involved with this girl by making her use such negative language about Bella when actually she’s such an obsessive stalker-type and very creepy when you step back and look at it again. Great idea to make her both literally and figuratively ‘green eyed’. It’s also very hard now to know whether I like any of these characters as Bella is trying to hang onto Kevin beyond the grave; Kevin didn’t actually treat Bella well (accordi...

Reply

Deborah Angevin
12:01 Aug 06, 2020

I'm planning to put all of this into a short-stories compilation (or maybe a novel? Idk if I'm good enough to pull that off, though!) Obviously, the compilation will have proper grammar check, unlike this one!

Reply

Jane Andrews
13:20 Aug 15, 2020

You could make it a novella or a chap book. Lots of writing comps run a ‘novella in flash’ category, but the problem with that is that there’s often a limit of 1000 words per chapter. Definitely go ahead and publish as a short story collection - you have a huge fan base on here already who’d love it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jane Andrews
11:47 Aug 06, 2020

Read ‘Pinky Promise’ before I read this one - I wasn’t a fan of the girl with green eyes in that one, but I like her a lot more here! One of the strengths of this series of interconnected stories is the way that you manipulate your readers so that we have completely different feelings towards the three characters depending on whose account we read. I think this is a great concept and fairly well executed - your second paragraph reads - “My ex.” My fiancee replies, flashing his beautiful smile - where it should be - “My ex,” my fiancé replies...

Reply

Deborah Angevin
11:59 Aug 06, 2020

Thank you for the comment after reading "(Pink)y Promise", Jane! I'm glad to see your views on the characters :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
VJ Hamilton
22:54 Aug 05, 2020

You have some strong feelings emanating from the narrator here - "domb Bella" and "secretly wishing my hands were the one locked with his" - this creates a powerful effect. I like how you ramp it up by having them argue about her. The theme of jealousy is emphasized by choice of title and the narrator's features. Thanks for an interesting read!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
09:24 Aug 06, 2020

Glad that you enjoyed it! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jonathan Blaauw
15:08 Aug 05, 2020

Great story Deborah, it ties in so well with the others in this series. Not easy, linking multiple stories but still having them fit the prompts. I like how we get some more background here, more of Kevin's journey. Also, I like that you address the ghost question, yet still leave it open. He can't see her, sure, but the fact that he's visiting her grave shows how she still haunts him. Really good job. Well done.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
09:25 Aug 06, 2020

Thank you for the kind words, Jonathan! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Liya Mariyam
07:16 Aug 05, 2020

the title is so accurate ,i love the story , i need to know what happens next . one of the best i've ever read

Reply

Deborah Angevin
08:24 Aug 05, 2020

Thank you for enjoying the story, Liya! I'll reach out to you for the upcoming story on this series :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jessica C
00:15 Aug 05, 2020

Deborah! Something about your narrator bugs me. It feels as though she has a lot more to say but holds back. You wrote her in such a way that she feels very familiar to the reader but seems to speak too formally at times. Maybe it's a language barrier or culture thing (I'm American; we have no sense of boundaries ;) ) If I had any advice to give you, it would be to let her loosen up and tell us her secrets. This chick is way more complicated than you're letting on, isn't she? That being said, you craft a very compelling story. I d...

Reply

Deborah Angevin
08:27 Aug 05, 2020

Haha, thank you for the feedback, Jessica! You are right, this protagonist is more complicated... but I'll leave it at that for now (I'm planning to write more about her in the next submission when the prompt fits!)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tvisha Yerra
16:51 Aug 04, 2020

This was a sequel, right? It was amazing! P.S. I'm the 101st like! Yay!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
08:27 Aug 05, 2020

Yes, this is a sequel to the two stories before this! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Isha Singh
17:20 Aug 03, 2020

Kept me hooked till the very end! Your writing style is amazing but the story you thought of made me a fan. Oh and you nailed the theme that was given. Keep up the good work!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
22:15 Aug 03, 2020

Thank you for reading and the support, Isha! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya Reynolds
15:04 Aug 03, 2020

Great story! I was so glad to realize this was another story about Bella and Kevin since I enjoyed your other two very much. I enjoy reading your stories very much; keep up the good work!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
22:16 Aug 03, 2020

I'm glad that you enjoyed the story about the two characters :D. Thank you for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Asa Frederick
13:57 Aug 03, 2020

Really digging the writing style. Great read!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
22:16 Aug 03, 2020

Thank you for reading, Asa! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.