The Ugly Truth (Part 2)

Submitted into Contest #62 in response to: Write about a character putting something into a time capsule.... view prompt

184 comments

Drama Kids

Authors Note: Hi everyone! I finally got a story out on Reedsy despite the assignments that were crammed and stacked onto my head! This is a sequel to "Grandpa Laurence", my previous story on Reedsy. Enjoy!



Grandma Lolla took a shuddery and shaky breath as she placed a sealed envelope into the capsule, inhaling nervously. She held her back, groaned weakly and pushed the spade into the ground. She covered the fresh soil over the shiny capsule and sighed. Beatrix would soon understand the meaning of this.






It had been five days. Five days, since Grandma Lolla had passed away. Five days since everyone had mourned in despair. Her last words had been “Larry” before she collapsed onto the ground, and stilled in her last, shuddery breath, closing her eyes for the last time.


 But what Beatrix regretted the most, was that Grandma Lolla wasn’t able to explain what had happened to Grandpa Laurence. She didn’t make it in time. No one knew the story. Her mother did, but she was given instructions not to tell anyone.


Mrs Lemons never talked after her mother’s death. She was still in a state of shock. She usually only responded with an uneventful, lifeless shake of her head, or “no” and “yes”.


Beatrix was in her room, glancing sorrowfully at her grandmother’s photograph. If only she had been on time, to hear the story. She and her mother were going to the house that afternoon to collect valuables so the ancient house could be sold.


Beatrix looked at the house, a deep pang drilling into her as she realized she wouldn’t be able to see her grandmother. Ever again.


Hurriedly, she rummaged through her grandmother’s items and picked up a locket that was hidden deep inside the layered dusty shelves. It contained a shiny key and a picture inside it. 


Curiously, she opened the locket, glancing amused, at the picture in the locket. A handsome face bored into her eyes. He looked in his mid-thirties and his arm was around - around… “Grandma Lolla! That’s the woman next to him. That must be Grandpa Larry!”


She glanced at the photograph leaning on Grandma’s bed. It looked similar. She dropped Grandma Lolla’s valuable things and grasped a couple of letters. She read the first few lines. They were love letters. Grandma Lolla had written one to Grandpa Larry. It seemed as if they were deeply in love. But why was Grandma Lolla reluctant to bring up the subject of him?


Suddenly, Beatrix noticed a letter lying on Grandma Lolla’s musty scented pillow. It looked new and she hadn’t seen it before.


She read the writing on the front of the letter. It was addressed to her, surprisingly. The adrenaline rushed rapidly in her as her trembling fingers clasped the letters and opened it swiftly. Beatrix sat on the edge of the abandoned bed and studied it curiously and excitedly.


My darling Beatrix,


My body is getting weaker and fragile. I know I won’t last long, and I know I won’t have enough time to tell you the truth about Grandpa Larry. Listen to my instructions carefully. 


There is a small rose plant at the back of the garden. Diagonally, I want you to dig the ground, dig at it carefully and you will find a golden capsule. It will have a lock on it. Go to my cupboard. Hidden deep, you will find a locket with a key. The locket encloses a picture of me and your grandfather. Use that key to open the capsule.


Inside it, you will find an enclosed, sealed envelope. Take it back with you and read it. You have deserved to know the truth about me and Grandpa Larry.


I must ask you to promise me one thing, whether I may be dead or alive, is to never, never tell anyone about it. 


Love,


Grandma Lolla, 



Her heartbeat raced excitedly and rapidly as Beatrix tucked the letter into her pocket and dashed to the back garden. She moved the spade diagonally towards the rose garden and delved into the wet soil and earth.


Abruptly, the spade clinked against a metal object and Beatrix felt elevated and enraptured. Quickly, she fingered her way through the soil and heaved the tiny capsule, engulfed in soil and mud. She removed the locket clasped around her neck and opened the capsule. It clicked, and sure enough, a sealed envelope addressed to Beatrix Lemons was printed neatly in the middle of the envelope.


Shaking and trembling, she carried the envelope and dug the capsule safely back into the earth. She hurried into the hall, to find Mrs Lemons weeping softly into Grandma Lolla’s handkerchief. 


Beatrix smiled sadly and pulled an arm around her mother. “Grandma will be okay,” she soothed softly.


Mrs Lemons choked a little and looked up gratefully at her daughter, her tears shining. 


Beatrix smiled and clutched an envelope. “Grandma Lolla explained everything about Grandpa in this letter. I’m going to read this.” she smiled softly.


Mrs Lemons managed a watery smile.


Beatrix took a deep breath and removed the contents of the letter.


A paper. Explaining Grandpa Larry’s wrongdoings, and why Grandma Lolla was anxious to keep him a secret. She was going to find out. Now.



Dear Beatrix, 


I suppose I owe you an apology for making you wait to hear the truth darling. Well, all will be revealed now.


Grandpa Larry was a thief. I loved him with all my heart. We were a poor family back then, Beatrix. We couldn’t afford many things, and seeing as Larry used to come from a rich family, he didn’t like it when he couldn’t give me something for my birthday, so when he couldn’t afford our children’s’ fees. And that’s when he started stealing. For me.


Suddenly, Larry told us he had been offered a promotion. We were thrilled, I couldn’t tell you how happy I was. Every day after the "promotion", Larry used to bring us gifts, gifts that I couldn’t believe were true. I received diamond rings, rich necklaces and expensive bracelets.


One day, I trailed him at work. I knew it was wrong of me to sneak, but I knew something wasn’t right. I caught him stealing out of a bank. I was too scared to point him in the right direction, scared he’d leave me with two kids and scared he’d abuse me. So I didn’t say anything. And that was my mistake. Months later, my husband was caught stealing a valuable diamond from the bank.


He was sent to jail and our family name was a disgrace. People were disgusted by us, and he came in the newspaper, made the front page. I decided to keep his identity a secret, and we stopped contacting relatives to keep this a secret.


I loved Larry with all my heart, and I knew he loved me too, but he didn’t have to steal for me. He didn’t, and I was devastated when I found out. 


That is the truth Beatrix, the ugly truth.



October 05, 2020 13:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

184 comments

I can't believe how well you have written this story! Also, I can't choose which one I like better, Grandpa Laurence or the Dead Letter Department!!

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
02:33 Oct 08, 2020

Thanks, Laila, appreciate the comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Niveeidha Palani
07:56 Dec 11, 2020

Aw thanks. And welcome back Celeste! It's great to have you back. :)

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
22:59 Dec 11, 2020

No problem :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Charles Stucker
09:21 Oct 06, 2020

"The ancient house was to be sold off, and it was she and her mother were to go to the house that afternoon and collect valuable items in the house, so it could be sold off entirely." This is cumbersome to read- both rearrange for clarity and get rid of some words. "She and her mother were going to the house that afternoon to collect valuables so the ancient house could be sold." A major lesson of rewriting/editing is look for long sentences and see if you can make them shorter. and picked off a locket -use "picked up" or "picked out"...

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
12:58 Oct 06, 2020

Hi Charles, thanks for commenting, any title suggestions? This one sucks. :(

Reply

Charles Stucker
13:52 Oct 06, 2020

I am tempted to say, "An Inconvenient Truth" but too many associate that with climate change. Possibly "Time to Come Clean" which is a play on it's time to clean up the place for sale while the time-capsule was grandma's way of coming clean about grandpa. IS this what you were thinking? Or should I try a play on letters? Brainstorming- "Mail Call" "Dead Letter Department" (morbid humor) "Special Delivery" These are a little further from my ideal, but one might be what you want.

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
21:53 Oct 06, 2020

Dead Letter Department sounds good, I'll put that up first. Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
23:00 Oct 16, 2020

Wow, a catchy story Niveeidha, kept me on my toes to know what was next !

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
23:03 Oct 16, 2020

Thanks, it's much appreciated.

Reply

04:20 Oct 17, 2020

No problem! :)

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
04:21 Oct 17, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
00:42 Oct 08, 2020

This is amazing writing! You are such a great author, Niveeidha!! I loved this so much! Feedback: ♡ I loved him with all my heart is a saying more commonly used than I loved him with all my might. ♡ There doesn't need to be a comma after so right here: "So, I didn’t say anything." ♡ Instead of wronged doings, wrongdoings might flow better. ♡ "Clutched" sounds better than "Clutched up" Hope this helps! Great story, and I can't wait to see more of your work!!

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
00:45 Oct 08, 2020

Thanks, Crystal. I'll alter the errors now. :)

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
00:53 Oct 08, 2020

It seems pretty rushed, but thanks for rescuing the story before it got approved, haha.

Reply

01:36 Oct 08, 2020

You're welcome!! You still did an amazing job! The only reason I noticed these is because you wanted feedback! If I didn't look closer, I wouldn't have known! :)

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
01:43 Oct 08, 2020

Hahaha, very wisely said, the same goes for yours as well! ;)

Reply

05:13 Oct 08, 2020

Lol, thank you!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philip Clayberg
04:24 Dec 24, 2020

Thank you for writing this story. It reminds me, somewhat, of O. Henry's "The Gift of the Magi" when I read about the grandfather stealing to help the grandmother. From what I understand, he did it because he loved her and wanted to help her, even though she wished he hadn't (especially since he got caught stealing the diamond from the bank and was sent to jail). Love can sometimes make us do things we wouldn't ordinarily do. Like stealing (more than once), putting a letter inside a box and burying it in the garden, and hiding the ugly t...

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
07:16 Dec 24, 2020

Thanks, Phillip. Great reminder of O. Henry's piece.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
03:49 Oct 15, 2020

Wow... this story is amazing. It really touched my heart. You're such an amazing writer!!! Hope you write more stories!

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
03:54 Oct 15, 2020

Thanks, Kirrtanaa.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
15:43 Oct 09, 2020

I love how you've told this story - the mystery and the time capsule. I was as excited as Beatrix when she was about to open it. Now I think every adult should leave some kind of time capsule mystery for a kid to find long after they're gone. It sounds like you are super busy, but if you ever consider adding to this story, I'd love to see Beatrix's reaction upon learning the truth about Grandpa Laurence. Great work, Niveeidha!

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
00:43 Oct 10, 2020

Thank you so much, Kristin. Yes, it should imply as a family tradition, that would be simply fun, to dig up capsules and find lost truths and hidden secrets. Hmmm, I'm not quite sure about another part, but I will see if any suitable prompt comes up! ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Niveeidha Palani
06:38 Oct 08, 2020

One of my most rushed stories ever, as I was rushing to submit it before the deadline. Do tell me what you think of it, and try to cooperate with me if I make spelling mistakes or grammatical ones. If you tell me in a comment, I'll definitely alter them. For those of you who don't know, this is a sequel to the previous story I got on Reedsy, "Grandpa Laurence"!

Reply

Show 0 replies
The Cold Ice
06:49 Oct 06, 2020

Wow!!Nice story.I liked it. Would you mind reading my story “The dragon warrior part 2?”Thanks?

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
08:39 Oct 06, 2020

Thank you Sahitthian, I'll check out your story now. :)

Reply

The Cold Ice
08:45 Oct 06, 2020

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
The Cold Ice
02:10 Dec 03, 2020

Hey sorry I didn’t give the tittle

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
02:41 Dec 03, 2020

Goodness! It's been such a long time since you commented over here, that I totally forgot! No, it doesn't matter at all, besides, I can't edit the story any longer as it's been approved. :)

Reply

The Cold Ice
02:42 Dec 03, 2020

I was busy these days

Reply

Show 0 replies
The Cold Ice
02:43 Dec 03, 2020

Hey you know who is the downvoter

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
11:20 Nov 10, 2020

Hii, Niveeidha Sorry to intervene, in this brutal manner, I have a request for you would be kind to give a single glance over the vehicle which my team had been working over months. https://www.instagram.com/p/CHX5VUPBJOp/?igshid=5f72nb3cgg30 Sorry to take your time and If possible like the post.Because this would help team to win

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
11:37 Nov 10, 2020

I would like it, but I do not have an Instagram account, so please understand if I can't like the post.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
22:28 Nov 03, 2020

Hiya amiga ^^

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
23:41 Nov 03, 2020

Hi.

Reply

B. W.
00:05 Nov 04, 2020

how are ya?

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
00:16 Nov 04, 2020

I'm fine

Reply

B. W.
00:20 Nov 04, 2020

thats good ^^ im kinda half and half

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
00:47 Nov 04, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
17:41 Oct 28, 2020

Hola my friend ^^

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
00:24 Oct 29, 2020

Hi B. :)

Reply

B. W.
00:29 Oct 29, 2020

Hiya ^^ how are you?

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
07:54 Oct 29, 2020

I'm fine. Just got a lot of assignments, and on top of that, I don't want to disappoint authors here on Reedsy, so I'm trying best to multitask here. Although it's no secret that I'm not very good at it!

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
07:54 Oct 29, 2020

How about you?

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
14:52 Oct 29, 2020

i guess im good, ive just been having a lot of bad days

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
22:14 Oct 29, 2020

That's sad to hear. :( Are you able to cope in these tough times or are they just regular bad days? If you need a helping hand, I'm always here! ;)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
23:54 Oct 26, 2020

Heya, i made a new story a while ago ^^ could you maybe check out "He isn't real...or is he?" then leave some feedback on it?

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
00:28 Oct 27, 2020

Sure, I'll make sure to check it out!

Reply

B. W.
00:29 Oct 27, 2020

alright thanks ^^ do you also possibly know what NaNoWriMo is?

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
06:11 Oct 27, 2020

Hmm, yes. I have an account, but I don't really use it to write. I don't usually prefer writing there, it's just not my style. I use it mainly to read, sometimes. And no problem.

Reply

B. W.
06:34 Oct 27, 2020

I just sorta got it but i have no idea if ill do anything on it

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
10:50 Oct 27, 2020

I see. I'm not sure too. I've checked out a lot of writing websites as well. I've entered in a couple, but I've never really started writing stories. The only one that I've posted two stories in is Wattpad, but I'm not really online there often, so I only get like two or three views? I still post a little there though. I've also joined AllPoetry like the others, but I'm not a big fan of poetry, so I posted a story there.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
17:27 Oct 23, 2020

heyyy

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
02:15 Oct 24, 2020

Hi! Sorry for not replying earlier, I'm actually free now, but I'm not sure if you're online.

Reply

B. W.
02:17 Oct 24, 2020

heya, im here

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
02:17 Oct 24, 2020

Okay! I'm sorry, what did you need help with?

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
02:18 Oct 24, 2020

The prompts actually seem pretty good today, especially the vampire and werewolf one. Are you planning to do a sequel on it?

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
02:20 Oct 24, 2020

do ya remember the thing i asked ya last night? and maybe i will, i aint entirely sure.

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
02:27 Oct 24, 2020

Hmm, actually I went back to the comment thread and I realized that you hadn't told me what else you needed help with...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
19:08 Oct 22, 2020

i'll give this a 10/10 ^^

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
21:34 Oct 22, 2020

Thank you so much B!

Reply

B. W.
21:35 Oct 22, 2020

No problem ^^ though you could still just call me B, this is a Halloween name

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
00:17 Oct 23, 2020

Oops! I keep on forgetting! Sorry, B! I'll go and edit my comment now!

Reply

B. W.
00:23 Oct 23, 2020

thats alright ^^ could you maybe help me with something?

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
02:28 Oct 23, 2020

I'd love to! :) What's the problem?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hriday Saboo
03:16 Oct 15, 2020

You’re such a brilliant writer niveeidha. Your stories are brilliant. A brilliant story again. Would you mind reading my new story

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
03:33 Oct 15, 2020

Thank you Hriday! :)

Reply

Hriday Saboo
04:09 Oct 15, 2020

:) pls read my new story too

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
02:28 Oct 24, 2020

Sorry, I must have missed this comment, I would love to.

Reply

Hriday Saboo
05:48 Oct 24, 2020

No problem

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
11:54 Oct 24, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
20:26 Oct 11, 2020

I think i'll go ahead and give this story a 10/10 :) i'll also check out the other stories and i hope you make more ^^

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
00:41 Oct 12, 2020

Thank you so much, Blair! It's much appreciated!

Reply

B. W.
00:45 Oct 12, 2020

No problem ^^ though this name is kind of just a Halloween name, so you could just call me B

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
00:52 Oct 12, 2020

Ah, okay then, B! ;)

Reply

B. W.
01:04 Oct 12, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Doubra Akika
16:43 Oct 09, 2020

Hey Niveeidha! I loved this! The sequel was honestly amazing. I think you did a really good job with this. I loved reading about it. The mystery around the time capsule was really great and the letter from Grandma Lolla as well. Beautiful piece! Hope you're staying safe!

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
00:40 Oct 10, 2020

Thank you so much Doubra, it's much appreciated. I'm staying safe, and hope you are too! Have a great day!

Reply

Doubra Akika
15:39 Oct 10, 2020

I am, thanks! And it was my pleasure!

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
21:55 Oct 10, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.