0 comments

Fantasy

I have always wanted to find a magical portal. I have always always wanted to find my own place. Big or small. I don't care. Just a place only I know about. Where I can sit, and watch the stars, or hear the muffled shouts and clangs of the outside world. I have always been disappointed. But this story is not about me. This story is about a a young girl, called Lottie.


Lottie, an orphan, was lying in bed, looking at the stars. She was alone, again, everyone else fast asleep, but each night, Lottie stayed up, so fascinated by the stars that shone through the window above her bed. Her blonde hair was splayed across her pillow, like a halo of curiosity, and wonder. She had always wanted adventure. She had always been disappointed. But not tomorrow. Though she does not know it yet, tomorrow, she will experience something she never had. Tomorrow, she will adventure. Soon, she too was asleep, and dreaming of the wide world out there.


She woke to a bark-like voice, shouting orders,

"Up, up!" her Matron was yelling, "Get dressed girls!"

This orphanage was not like ones in a movie. It was not horrible. It was not run by a horrible woman who had a strong sense of when trouble was happening. The children did not suspect their Matron was a witch. It was a normal orphanage. Maybe not as good as life as a loved child, but it was good enough.


Lottie opened her wardrobe, late as usual. Most of the girls had left, and the few who remained were putting on their last item of clothing, ready to leave.


Lottie cracked open her wardrobe, and suddenly, she was reminded strongly of the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, and the adventures they had shared. Suddenly, she heard a dull thud, and her clothes parted to the sides of her wardrobe. Just as she had imagined in her head, the back of the wardrobe was endless, stretching out into a blank hole of nothingness. Don't be silly, she told herself sternly, this isn't real. As soon as the thought had occurred, the wardrobe shifted to it's normal state. Confused, Lottie experimented, I want a cake. She asked tenderly, still not certain of her sanity, but the wardrobe pulled back it's layers to reveal a beautiful birthday cake.


She knew exactly where she wanted to go. I want an adventure. The clothes swung to the side like curtains, revealing a muddy field. Lottie took one look at her home, before stepping out into the unknown.

  

 As she hopped over a broken, rusted gate, she glanced back at the orphanage behind her. She could see it, but it was blurred, as if in a different dimension. The neat brick walls rose up, and at the very top, lay her room, untouched, and unoccupied. She straightened up, and swerved round, she would be back by mid-day. Deep breath in, shoulders back, head up. Crunch! She took her first step into the vast field, muddied and tramped, her first step into a new adventure. She set off, in the direction of the biggest hill in sight. 

  

The sun poured out its radiant colors into the horizon like a painter working at his canvas, steadily rising above the hills. When Lottie reached the top of the cliff, her heart stopped, her breath caught in her throat and her mind blanked, for there, below her, lay a world of wonder! 

  

Gigantic lagoons lay, enveloped by an enormous woodland, still as glass, the sun reflecting off them, causing bright, florescent beams cascading across the trees. Below, the glistening foliage was covered in dew and the exotic flowers shone like natural neon signs. The aqua blue waterfall foamed and fizzed, tumbling down the short cliff, softly drizzling on the smooth rocks below. It looked like a wall of flowing blue satin, threaded with silver sunlight. It was a jungle! 

  

When she reached the bottom, Lottie had many doubts, but she hastily pushed them all away, and sprinted into the undergrowth. Inside, it was dark and gloomy, shards of light breaking through the thick, mossy canopy, like spotlights. In this dim light, you could just about make out the tall tangled trees and the deep, impenetrable bushes. Under low swooping branches, over stumps and logs, all alive with wildlife, and deeper into the mysterious jungle, Lottie trekked. Past all the endless turns and vines, the sneaky roots designed to trip her up, she carried on, glancing warily about her, unsure about these new surroundings. 

  

The trees loomed over her, the path seemed to get narrower, and narrower, the sudden, unexpected sounds grew louder, and she didn’t notice the sneaky root, that succeeded in tripping her up. Head over heels, she toppled over. The world went upside down. The trees whirled. Her breath was staggered and unpredictable. She hit the floor. Everything flew back into focus, like a bird had swooped down, and lifted a curtain of blurriness.  

  

If someone decides to go into the jungle with no map, no compass, no anything, a good tip is to never lose their way. As soon as the shrouding fog lifted from her brain, Lottie realized this. She looked about. Every tree looked the same, huge and intimidating. There were no landmarks, she recognized nothing. She was lost. Concentrating, she wracked her brain for any common sense she could muster, but panic had already settled in. 

  

All would have been lost for Lottie, she would have never got out, if a tiny, hand sized parrot had not been watching this whole time. Perched up on a branch in the treetops, he had been curious about Lottie, but now, he saw that she needed help. 

  

Panicking, Lottie had grabbed a stick, and was glancing about nervously, a spine-chilling terror crept in, like an icy finger sliding down her back. A quiet chirp sounded from a branch above, but Lottie was too busy worrying about snakes to hear it. It called again, louder this time. Straining her neck, Lottie stared up at the canopy, and squinted at a tiny, bright ball. Suddenly, without any warning, the parrot took off, and Lottie gasped as it glided majestically, its wings wide open, riding the wind like a wave. The treetops shook as it landed, and turned its head down to Lottie, who was standing there in awe gaping at this multi-colored bird.  

  

 Instinct took over, and Lottie began, slowly at first, then, increasing her pace, to follow the bird as it hopped lightly from one tree to another, then, it flew out, into the open! As Lottie pushed aside the chocking vines, sunlight filtered through, and the jungle opened out to a hilly moorland. So ecstatic with joy at seeing the sun again, Lottie ran off, leaving the bird at the edge of the rainforest, blinking happily, at the thought of a nice warm nest. 


Lottie sprinted back to the orphanage, covered in mud. Never again would she go where she was not wanted. The wardrobe remained, unopened, waiting for it's next user.

April 18, 2020 08:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.