7 comments

General

“So this is where we stay? I asked the director of the lockdown. “This is where you stay, but the counselors and I will have our own shelter.” I rolled my eyes. I didn’t want to come, but my mom bribed me with the new Motorola Razr I had wanted. I guess she needed some alone time. Her and her new boyfriend. Mom had just recently got a new babe, and he’s a pretty nice guy. Way better than my biological dad. He might always agree with my mom, but he’s funny and if he really thinks I’m right, he’ll sometimes be on my side. That doesn’t happen often though. 

I hope this trip is worth it. The mosquitoes are going to have a big feast with all these humans around. Fun fact: Did you know that only female mosquitoes suck blood? The male likes to live on tree barks instead. I slapped my leg. They had already started to try out this new human. I took a bottle of bug repellent from my bag and sprayed layer after layer on myself.  

The director Mr. Bickin helped me find the boys’ cabin. It was just over the side by a little stream next to the girls’ cabin. I hope we didn’t have to shower in the dirty stream water. It wasn’t completely dirty, it was quite clear actually, but as a fact geek I knew there were plenty of germs we couldn’t see. Plus, if we all wash off in the same water, it’s going to be full of bacteria and who-knows-what-else. 

I went into the cabin. Immediately I smelt garbage and feet odor. It was so strong I pulled out my face mask to cover it. I found my name on a list stuck to the wooden door and looked at it. Bunk #8 with Lewis Randall. My chores were to sweep the porch of our small shelter. Not bad. I couldn’t wait to meet my bunkmate. 

“Mommy, don’t let me be by myself! I don’t like Camp Exmara!” screamed a boy about my age. I hoped he wasn’t Lewis. "We don’t have all day!" said Mr. Bickin. He managed to talk him into stopping for a while, then took him to our cabin. “Cabin #8 with Blake Robinson.” Nooooooooooo! He was my stupid bunkmate! Why? Out of everyone here, why me? 

I knew right away this kid was a sissy, considering the fact that he wouldn’t let go of his mom. I was not wrong, but not completely on bull’s eye either. Lewis liked to be active, but if something happened that he didn’t like, he would scream his head off, and boy, his screams are sure sharp. 

A few days later…...

Lewis sat on the top, making me smell all of his stinky gas bubbles. It was like cherry on a sundae, except fart on toe funk. I sat on the mattress, trying to bring some fun into this long, boring weekend. So far, we’ve toasted marshmallows, got poisoned by ivy, and moved haystacks so the other team could bring it back. Seriously? I was sure I saw the word fun on the brochure. You call this fun? 

Meanwhile, the girls have been painting their nails, watching movies, and sleeping in. They didn't even go outside! A light bulb suddenly dinged. Let’s pull a prank on them! What better? Mr. Bickin left at eight, so I decided to gather a group of people at nine. Just to make sure everyone was asleep. 

The guys and I crept by the river, where we found our first victim. Karyan. She was the biggest in there, so she bossed everyone around. We carefully opened the door and tiptoed by her bunk. The whole room smelled like perfume, making me want to gag. 

I found her duffel bag and took it. See how embarrassed she is in the morning. It started to rain outside. The rain splashed onto me like a big wave. This felt so good. We ran back into our own cottage. Everything had gone well to plan. Kiryan was sleeping and her bag was on the top bunk. We had just snuck over to the girls’ cabin and took Karyan’s bag. This ought to bring some joy in these stupid woods. 

The next morning, I woke up to a bunch of girls surrounding me. I quickly shot up. “What are y’all doing here?”

“The question is, what are YOU doing here?”

I was confused. Uh Oh. I must’ve ran in a circle back to our cabin, took my own bag, and ran to the girl’s cabin! My ears turned beet red. Oh no. 

I took my bag and ran out the door. I had become the biggest joke in the world. My plan had backfired so badly. Back in the right cabin, I lay down on the bottom bunk, I had never been so happy to do it. I must’ve dozed off again, because I woke up to the director calling me. “Blake, time to go home! Pack your bags!” YES! Out of this place! I packed faster than everyone else and hopped onto the bus. I was so ready to get out of here. 

I went home to find the front door locked. I knocked hard and finally, mom opened the door. “Sweetie! I got your reward!” She handed me the phone box. I opened it and took out the phone. Yes! My own Motorola! I hugged it close and went inside. The surprises weren’t over yet. “Hey dude! Me and your mom are pregnant!” No way. I’ve always wanted to boss someone around! I was so excited. I think going to camp was worth it, now with a brother and new phone. 

  Every now and then, someone in my school still brings up the prank, but now mostly everyone has forgotten about it. Maybe I’ll go back to camp one day, or maybe one day I’ll look back and have a good laugh, but for now, I think I’ll stick with staying at home.


August 06, 2020 16:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Amany Sayed
18:59 Aug 06, 2020

Nice one N C! Just one thing, don't forget to start a new line of dialogue for every new person that talks. Also, " I hoped he wasn’t Lewis, we don’t have all day!” He managed to talk him into stopping for a while, then took him to our cabin." this doesn't make much sense. I never quite caught on to the age of the main character. I mean, Lewis seemed pretty babyish, but the main character was cool with dating and whatnot. So, yeah, overall wonderful job! ~Amany

Reply

N C
19:30 Aug 06, 2020

I'm sorry! I forgot to reread the passage!

Reply

Amany Sayed
19:33 Aug 06, 2020

Oh, don't be sorry! I hope I helped! :)

Reply

N C
21:07 Aug 06, 2020

You most certainly did! Thank you sooooooo much!

Reply

Amany Sayed
21:08 Aug 06, 2020

Any time! Waiting for your next story!

Reply

N C
21:10 Aug 06, 2020

Thank you for helping me become a better writer. I love your stories and I hope to be as good of an author as you someday! Please keep commenting on what you think!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.