28 comments

Historical Fiction Romance Western

Kendra finished her search in her deceased grandfather's quarters. She went to relieve 'Lena leading the oxen pulling the wagon. “I'll want to look a little deeper through some of Pappy's things but I found enough for tonight with the wagon master. I'm gonna let you start on the bread and anything else you plan for supper. Hope it's okay I leave that up to you.”

“Dat be no trouble 't all. Yu uns havin' such a day. Whys ya so worry 'bouts wha' dis man says?” 'Lena wanted to know.

“Our future depends on if he'll let us stay with this train. Guess we gotta prove we won't be any problem.”

“We gotta stay on train?”

“We do if we want to get to California.”

“Yo Pappy, he wanna go, but he not here now. Mista Leroy, he wanna go, but he not here now. Where Missy wanna go?” 'Lena quandered.

Kendra stopped to think, “Oh, 'Lena! I haven't even thought of that. I don't know. What about you and Theo? How do you feel about walking to California?”

“Iz no know where dis Cal-i-forn-i-a be but Goo' Lor' give us lots o' lan' ta walk ta.”

“How smart! Let's look at this completely different. We don't need to go all the way to California. Do we? We only need to find a place we can grow our crops and be free. Right?”

“Right.” 'Lena nodded her agreement.

“Wonder if this wagon master can make some suggestions where a good place would be. Thanks, 'Lena. This eases my mind a lot.” Kendra sighed as a big burden felt lifted.

The wagons circled for the evening. Theo came back from stationing the animals with another man. “Missy, Missy, dis here Mista Cummings. He be traveling wit' da Master a ways. He can tell ya wha' he tinks.”

“How do you do, Mr. Cummings? My name is Kendra Potter. I am the widow of the young man killed this morning so am now in charge of this wagon. Being thrown so suddenly into this situation I wanted an opinion of someone who knows the trail master well enough to tell me if he is a fair minded and trustworthy gentleman.”

The antsy son of the soil circled his straw hat in his calloused fingers and furrowed his sun-baked brow, “Very well, thank ya kindly. Sorry for your loss. I can assure you the trail boss is a very fair minded and trustworthy gentleman. Everyone likes him. He seems honest, very honest. Hope that kin hep ya.”

“That's very reassuring. You've been most kind. It's been a pleasure to meet you. I'm sure we'll see each other again. Thank you.”

“My pleasure. Hope you'll visit my missus soon.” His eyes popped and his mouth fell open. Kendra assumed 'Lena entered his line of sight somewhere behind her. He kept craning his neck around as Theo led him away thanking him.

“'Lena, you look very pretty this evening and the supper smells wonderful.” Kendra complimented as she turned back.

“Oh, alls Iz did was change ta dis new blouse. Ya laid it out fer me, right? Iz likes how ya fix up yo dress, too.”

“Yes, I laid that out for you to use. It's one of Mister Leroy's as is mine but they're so pretty I thought we might as well get some use out of them. We don't get company often so I thought it called for something special. Don't you think? Now how may I help you?”

“Ohs, Iz doin' jus' fine. Jus' goin' get da dishes lay out.” She ducked inside the box wagon.

Kendra started to follow but the wagon master was walking toward her. Her efforts of the late afternoon were not lost on him. He was amazed at her transformation back into a classic Southern Belle with full hooped skirt. The hem of a black skirt had been scalloped over a petticoat. The bodice was a white blousey top with ruffles at the neck and wrists and puffy sleeves. A silky tie gathered the waist. Her hair was bundled over to the side of her head and long golden curls fell to her collarbone. She was the prettiest thing he had seen all day.

“Good evening, Ma'am.” He removed his hat and started worrying the rim of it in his hands. She couldn't help notice how the slanting rays of the evening's last light glinted off his somewhat shaggy hair fracturing into a halo-like effect around his boyishly good-looking features. “Nice to see you again. You look very becoming this evening.”

“Thank you, Sir. It's been a trying day but I do my best out here in the wilds. You look refreshed yourself. Shall I take your hat?”

“Take it where?” He ran his hand through the mop on top scattering the rays and obviously concerned about losing the comfort of his hat being on his head where it belonged.

She looked about. “How about on the back of this ladder-back chair? Would you like to sit? 'Lena will have supper out soon.”

“It smells wonderful. Forgive me for coming a little earlier but I was hoping to get a look at some of your provisions and preparations before it got too dark.”

As they toured around the specially equipped Conestoga wagon she pointed out, “There are hammocks under there so someone can sleep off the ground. Those can also be strung between two trees. Toby does that frequently while he is out tending the animals.”

“Toby? Is that the big black man?”

“No, that's Theo. Hope he comes back soon from talking with some of the men. He knows more about all the wagon's features because he built this.”

“Toby is your little brother then.”

“Well, not exactly... Here comes Theo now.”

“Theo, this is the Wagon Master. This is Theo. I'm trying to show him all of the features of the wagons. Over to the other side these flaps open up...”

Theo took over the tour. Kendra was looking toward the men as they were talking. She knew when 'Lena came out behind her. Both their mouths fell open. “You gentlemen better watch your step. Your jaws dropped to the ground.” She chuckled.

“'Lena, ma 'Lena, looky how nice ya look tonight!” exclaimed the man who seldom left her side. He hurried to her and clasped her hands in his.

“Ya mean I don look so nice oder times?”

“'course ya looks beautiful alls da time ju't extry nice tonight.” Theo ogled as he held her arms out to the sides for an unobstructed view.

There was no way of camouflaging her desirability. Her white silky blouse had a drawstring neckline that 'Lena allowed to slip down over bare shoulders with the strings dangling in the placket over her deep cleavage. Her unbraided thick black hair created waves cascading down her back and over her shoulders.

“Why tank ya kin'ly. Now wheres dat boy? Supper is ready. Everybody sit, please. Tour will hafta wait. Toby!” He came a running. “Please wash up.” She pointed at a basin in a cut-out shelf on the side of the box wagon.

As Mister, oops, no name yet, walked past Kendra she glanced down and whispered to him, “Still on the ground.” He sheepishly grinned at her averting his eyes from 'Lena. Obediently, he went to wash his hands with the other guys.

They settled at the double plank table laid out between two barrels with another plank on top of shorter kegs as a bench seat and two ladder-back chairs on the other side. The men took the chairs. Toby sat between the women on the bench. When he noticed his mother's new blouse he pinched a piece of the sleeve and rubbed it together feeling the smoothness and gave her a smile. Theo said a brief blessing.

As they started eating Kendra noticed Mr. Cummings, the helpful hayseed, strolling around the inner circle of the wagons with a couple men in tow. Gawking at the scenery?

Kendra started introductions, “This attractive lady is Carolena, or 'Lena as we call her, our excellent chef and all around nurturer.” 'Lena lifted her doe eyes first to Theo and beamed.

“Don' tink Iz got yas name Mista __?”

Oh, thank you, 'Lena, Kendra thought.

“Mister Marcy. Randolph Ford Marcy. My dad's name was 'Randolph' so folks call me 'Ford'. That was my mother's maiden name.”

“'Randolph' Mista Potter's name but wez jut call 'im 'Rand'.” Theo explained.

“Oh? I thought he introduced himself to me as 'LeRoy'?” the confused guest questioned.

“Dats Missy husban', 'Rand' Missy's Pappy.” Theo clarified.

“Ma Pappy, too,” Toby corrected.

“Yes, he was Grandfather.” Kendra deflected.

“Well, I miss him. Don' know why God needed him so much so soon. Didn't even get to say goodbye!” Toby hung his head nearly in tears.

Kendra wrapped a comforting arm around him and squeezed him next to her. He buried his face in her ruffles. “We don't blame God. He always knows best.”

“I am so sorry, how long ago did he pass?” consoled Ford, uncomfortable what he said distressed them.

Theo answered “Oh, two ta three weeks Iz reckon'. Days blendin' tageder on da trail.”

“Did he die of a disease of some sort?” Ford worried if these people should have been in quarantine? Thankfully, they had been lagging behind a bit anyway.

“We were on the trail alone, no one to examine him. I guess men in their fifties' die of heart failure suddenly all the time.” Kendra answered with a bitterness in her tone.

“I regret bringing all this heartache back to you. That's a lot to lose in such a short time. How are all of you coping? Especially you, Mrs. Potter.” Ford laid his hand gently on her hand across the table. He wanted to know about the name coincidence but didn't want to open another Pandora box.

She slowly looked up at him beneath her long lashes. “You don't have to call me that. 'Kendra' will do.

“You okay, Toby? Would it make you feel better to show Mister Ford some of your pictures of Pappy after we finish eating?” She hesitated briefly then lightly bumped shoulders with Toby, “It would be a 'brilliantly scathing idea',” she smiled down at him and winked.

“May I be excused to go get them?” He hopped up with a smile on his face and headed to the box wagon.

While he was gone Ford questioned, “'Brilliantly scathing idea'?”

Kendra explained, “Our secret phrase Pappy would use to get us doing something we would otherwise be reluctant to do but it always got us giggling and eager to complete. We got lessons done, would surprise 'Lena with washed dishes or Theo with some unfinished chore. Things like that. According to Pappy this is a 'brilliantly scathing adventure' we are on.”

Toby had hurried back cheerful again. They carried on small talk while savoring the meal.

“Well, Miss 'Lena, Kendra,” Ford tried out the new name, “was right. You are an excellent chef. Can't remember having anything so good on the trail or any other place for that matter. Thank you for sharing. May I help you clean up?”

“Ohs, o' course not. Yu uns be our gues'. Besides Toby wants ta shares some o' 'is pictures wit' ya ifn ya don' min'.”

“It'll be a pleasure.”

Kendra knew how Mr. Cummings got his name. He was comings around again with different spectators in tow.

Toby laid a folder full of charcoal sketches on the table before their guest. Ford admired each one. Breathtaking scenery was depicted in many of them but so were animals, clouds and mundane things like a bucket of water. He looked up at the boy patiently awaiting a comment.

“Quite magnificent! How old are you?”

“Eleven, Sir.”

“I think these display talent equal to any known artist. And you are only using charcoal. Amazing the effects you can achieve with only a little shading.” He complimented.

“Is this your Pappy? I can see you favor him very much. A handsome man and you are a handsome lad. Were you looking at him when you did this?” Toby shook his head. “From memory you created this profile? Wow! This is good!”

He noticed categories. People as they were back home perhaps, interesting sights along the trail, things he enjoyed like waterfalls and rocks. Sometimes the scenery had location and date noted. Occasionally, a bird would be drawn in a corner.

“Toby, this is like a diary in pictures. And the ones of your family are like a photo album. This one is of strong Theo hammering on a horse shoe at his anvil. Oh, look, beautiful Kendra singing at a piano. This must be your Pappy on his fine horse.”

“No, that is my Father, Kendall.” Kendra filled in. “He was killed in the war. And the next one is 'Lena's son, Tommy, who is still missing.”

“Oh, sorry again. Maybe I shouldn't b...”

Toby pulls out the last one, “This is of Mamma and Tabitha when she was littler. She went to sit on Jesus' lap when she was almost four years old. Then we started our brilliantly scathing adventure.” 'Lena's expression in the picture was serene as she nursed the toddler.

Everyone held their breath. Oh, no, another Pandora box! But Toby seemed fine. Now 'Lena's tears were falling silently from her doe eyes.

Kendra squeezed 'Lena's shoulders and discreetly handed her a handkerchief. “Toby how 'bout starting another picture while Theo, Mister Ford and I continue on his tour and talk some business.”

“Those are great pictures showing your adventure.” Ford gave Toby a side hug.“Thank you for sharing.”

Theo said, “Tink Iz hep 'Lena first den catch up if ya still need me.”

“Actually,” Mr. Ford broke in, “Toby, would you show me your goat cart if I walk with you tomorrow? I would like to see it in the light. And Kendra can tell me about the other one while I walk with her. All of you had an exhausting day and I need to let you get a good night sleep. Thank you all for an enjoyable evening. You gentlemen don't worry about taking a shift watching the stock tonight. You deserve a night off. We often do that for folks newly arriving because they have traveled alone for so long. My men will cover for you.”

“Well, tanks a heap, Mista Ford. Iz be beholdn ta ya!” Theo said shaking his hand enthusiastically. “Was real nice ta meet ya.”

“May I walk a little with you, Mr. Ford?” Kendra ventured.

He recovered his hat and took her elbow. They walked toward the center of the circle. He ran his hand through his light chestnut brown hair and settled the wide-brimmed hat back in its natural habitat.

“More proper on the inside of the circle rather than the outside. Folks will understand we have business to discuss.” She politely nodded to Mr. Cummings as they passed his latest tour group.

“That young man is really talented. He can portray such detail with only a black and white medium.” Ford mused.

“Yes, he was a quick study under Pappy in many disciplines.”

“Your grandfather must have been quite the innovator and an inspiration. No wonder you miss him so much. Wish I could have met him. If you don't mind me asking what relationship are you and Toby? Cousins share a common grandfather, right?”

“I wish not to get so embroiled right now. I have some other concerns. Is there any way someone can issue a death certificate for Mr. Leroy? I may need one.”

“Sorry I never thought of anything like that. I'm sure I can come up with something.” Ford polished his freshly shaved chin deep in thought.

“Thank you. I do want to show you one thing I found with my Grandfather's things. It's in the box wagon.” Kendra urged.

She hefted her hoop to go up the steps. Then she realized she faced a dilemma. Her four-foot wide hoop wasn't going to fit thru a foot-and-a-half doorway unless it flipped up showing her rear or if she picked up the front for that full view.

She reluctantly turned to her companion. “I'm so sorry. I believe this might create a wardrobe malfunction. Could you go in after a notebook I left on the desk?”

“I haven't been disappointed in any mishaps so far.” A slow smile crinkled into his infectious grin.

She lit a candle and handed it to him. He ducked inside, found the notebook and took a brief look around the room. He took note of food prep accouterments and shelves lined with goods; a folded up bunk with a sewing apparatus and a musical instrument underneath along with a front corner hanging space. He joined her in the tight confined space of the porch.

“I, I have many questions for you but this is a checklist of what Pappy packed. It was based on a guidebook he had of your father's. Can you see it in this light or do you need to take it with you?”

“If based on Dad's list it will be perfect. But I'll look tomorrow when I step out with you.”

She started protesting then realized he was smiling and teasing her. “Then I'll be delighted.”

“I've been delighted by your whole household this evening. Thank you for inviting me.” He raised her hand to his lips and kissed the back of it, “'til tomorrow.”

September 20, 2023 07:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

28 comments

Mary Bendickson
08:07 Sep 20, 2023

Said I wasn't gonna do this again but time has been short this week and mind blank so I tweaked a bit of my 'award winning manuscript' to enter this prompt. Might not work perfectly as short story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amanda Lieser
01:58 Oct 20, 2023

Hi Mary! I was delighted to get to read a bit of that award-winning manuscript! And I can certainly see why, because the dialogue specifically was beautifully crafted. I found it incredibly impressive that you managed to create this scene so beautifully. Nice work!!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:14 Oct 20, 2023

Thank you kindly!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:44 Oct 05, 2023

Ah, another western vignette! I missed this one a couple weeks ago, looks like. Looks like Kendra is getting a handle on things. Nothing is certain yet, but at least there are some plans, and some concrete actions being taken. And Marcy seems promising as an ally... and perhaps more *wink wink nudge nudge*. "Brilliantly scathing idea?" - I've been wondering about "brilliantly scathing" for a while, and now it looks like we get an explanation. The grandfather's legacy lives on!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
21:52 Oct 05, 2023

Thanks for liking and commenting so favorably. Wink,wink,nudge, nudge😆☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keelan LaForge
13:53 Sep 29, 2023

I can really hear your dialogue in my head 😊

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:44 Sep 29, 2023

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
12:43 Sep 25, 2023

So delighted to see the continuation of the saga! You excel across genres, but this is how I first encountered your work. As always, nicely portrayed, nicely done!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
03:46 Sep 26, 2023

Thanks for the compliment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nina H
21:13 Sep 24, 2023

Nice snapshot, and the dialogue really gets you right into the world of the characters!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
04:04 Sep 26, 2023

Thanks for liking it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
09:32 Sep 24, 2023

This world is so complete and believable and this extract makes me believe the full novel must be absolutely epic. Thanks Mary

Reply

Mary Bendickson
04:28 Sep 26, 2023

Thanks, Derrick. Means a lot to me that you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Beth Connor
02:24 Sep 24, 2023

I loved the dialect- and interested in the longer work!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
04:03 Sep 24, 2023

Thank you. Trying to get it out there.☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:58 Sep 21, 2023

I read some of the comments after reading it and as I had wondered about this very different story from your usual, it all became clear. Something on hand, much longer, which you tweaked to fit the prompt. A nice snapshot. Interesting reading your explanation about the relationships. It is a little hard to figure out from the story. I also chose this prompt to write to. Mine continued on from my previous one, yet is a stand alone. I figured yours wasn't really a short story and wondered where it was going, but it is a good read, as usual. Be...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
03:39 Sep 22, 2023

The prompts this week really testing our craft and I didn't feel I had time to devote to needed creativity. Working on query letters and contacts besides having company and helping my sister clear out her storage unit. My mind is overwhelmed. But thanks for liking this piece of the whole.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Corr
10:51 Sep 21, 2023

So, who’s Toby? You may may have to add a part two.😊

Reply

Mary Bendickson
16:47 Sep 21, 2023

This is a piece of my larger work and I cut out 1000 words from this chapter to fit. Sorry not all came through. Revealed much later in the novel Toby is 'Lena's eleven year old son by an illegitimate son of 'Pappy' from his wild youth. Therefore, Kendra and Toby are both grandchildren of Pappy. Toby is mixed race, light skin-toned so often mistaken for Kendra's brother. As is his older brother, Tommy, still missing from the Civil War. Tommy was born to 'Lena when she was barely a teen. His father was abusive slave owner. Theo and Pappy res...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Murray Burns
01:28 Sep 21, 2023

Interesting and creative description of a moment in time. I gave up on trying to write dialect a long time ago....to hard to keep it consistent throughout, but you did a great job. Nice.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
02:26 Sep 21, 2023

Thanks for the complimentary comment😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Myranda Marie
15:52 Sep 20, 2023

I always enjoy reading your work. Everything you present, reads like a movie script with such evident and descriptive visual cues.; I see your story in my mind. Great characters!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
02:37 Sep 21, 2023

Such nice comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
08:58 Sep 20, 2023

As a short story I feel it head hops too much with the POV, but I know this is a slice of your larger tale, so I read it with a different mindset, because I know where it’s come from and where it’s going. I enjoy theses characters and their adventures.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
13:06 Sep 20, 2023

Is that hops around too much from POV? Have time to tweak a little more. Glad you enjoy these folks.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
14:34 Sep 20, 2023

I like the piece. Just thinking that because I’ve read the longer work I understand who these characters are, where as someone who hasn’t read it might get confused with the multi POV.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:31 Sep 20, 2023

Not much time this week but will see if I can change something 😕.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:47 Sep 20, 2023

I don’t think you need to change it, I don’t mean that it’s not good, it is a great scene. I’m interested in what people who haven’t read the whole work would say, I just read it with a different perspective.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.