FOLLOW THY HEART

Submitted into Contest #89 in response to: Start your story with a character taking a leap of faith.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Romance

Nina easily passed through the last check point at the airport as she walked towards the entrance, she left her home country to move to a foreign country in another continent because of love. Nina took a leap of faith one she hoped would pay off. A man in blue jean and white top had a tablet with her name on it, Nina walked to him as he noticed her presence and smiled at her, ‘‘welcome Miss Nina.’’ Nina smiled at him too and replied, ‘‘thank you Mr?’’ The man did not expect her to ask his name as he smiled again and stretched out his hand, ‘‘I am Keith.’’ Nina took note of his face, he was handsome, he was tall, and he seemed like one of those guys who did not know he was actually good looking, she felt relaxed and safe around the stranger. Keith led the way as the two walked to the parking area, soon, they reached a good looking Porsche car, it was grey in colour and attracted a lot of attention. Keith opened the back door for Nina as she smiled at him and went in. Little did she know to her far right there was a man, seated quietly as he looked at her intently. He cleared his throat as soon as Nina stepped in, she looked to the other end of the back seat and her eyes popped open, those brown eyes, the plump lips that face is one she knew. Nina wasted no time to pounce on him as she pulled him and hugged him tightly, she relaxed in his arms as he reluctantly hugged her too. The car began to move as Nina was still in the arms of the man she had come to know as her own, a man she grew to adore and care for, her one and only Logan. An hour and a half later, the car came to a standstill outside a huge house, it was literally a mansion, and Keith came out of the driver’s seat and opened the door for Logan and then Nina who politely thanked him. Logan held onto Nina’s hand as he wordlessly walked her into the house, it was beautiful and felt like one of those houses big time celebrities sold at millions of dollars. Logan walked her to a room and opened the door for her as he wordlessly gestured to her to enter and she did so. Logan then walked in after she did and spoke in his deep raspy voice, ‘‘so we finally meet in person.’’ Nina smiled at him widely, ‘‘yes, I have been waiting for this moment, I thought it would never come, you are like a dream come true for me.’’ Logan nodded his head without continuing that conversation, but this was something she was used to, him being expressionless but still showing his love and care for her. Nina courageously walked towards him and pecked his cheek, ‘‘thank you for inviting me here,’’ Logan’s lips curved up a little as he walked to the door, ‘‘come down for a meal in thirty minutes.’’ Nina nodded at him with a smile.

After Logan left, Nina decided to call home, she opened her laptop and it soon connected to her family. Her parents came into view and her father then spoke, ‘‘Nina how are you baby girl?’’ Nina resisted rolling her eyes and answered, ‘‘dad, I am okay and I am not a baby girl, I am twenty six years old, mom how are you?’’ Nina’s mother smiled, ‘‘I am okay, your father has been nagging me about you but I guess he’ll now relax.’’ Nina had always been the daddy’s girl, her father was the most emotional on issues involving her, his wife was the one to actually make him calm down. Nina smiled at her parents, ‘‘I am okay, I reached safely, they are treating me well, the house is great, this is a dream come true.’’ Nina’s brother-Adrian then came onto the camera and spoke, ‘‘sis I care about you but I was not and I am not for this decision, you can’t just quit your job, leave everything you have behind and move to another country because of someone you met online, this is dangerous, I don’t trust him.’’ Nina sighed, ‘‘I get it, it’s not rational for me to do this but for once in my life I am following my heart, I want to do this please support me.’’ Adrian sighed and shook his head, ‘‘I will not be calm knowing you are in a foreign land all alone, anyways my wife Laila sent her regards, she’s resting due to her pregnancy, she’s usually tired, anyways take care.’’ Nina concluded the conversation, she smiled at her family and waved them goodbye, after which she changed her clothes into a long summer dress and headed to the living room. That afternoon, Nina and Logan sat on the huge table and ate their meal in silence as Nina had a smile on her face. Keith was nowhere to be seen which caused Nina to briefly look around. Logan then placed his folk down, ‘‘looking for someone?’’ Nina smiled at him, ‘‘I was just thinking, where is Keith?’’ Logan then replied without much emotion, ‘‘I don’t think that should be your concern.’’ Nina’s smile disappeared, ‘‘I mean he was literally the one who picked me up and so I thought he would have a meal with us.’’ Logan’s tone became stern, ‘‘Keith is my subordinate, I don’t want you two to get any close there is no need.’’ Nina was taken aback, ‘‘what do you mean, so I can’t be his friend?’’ Logan then replied, ‘‘I said stay away from him, I am very clear about that, finish your meal and head to your room and rest, we have a whole busy day planned tomorrow.’’ Nina did not drag the conversation anymore and did as told.

Seven days later, Nina sat on the couch happily as she watched television, Logan had given her a short tour of a few places in the previous days, and he gave her a bank card filled with lots of cash. Nina had a lot of new clothes and shoes, the fridge was packed with different foods, other times she could order whatever she wanted, and hence she was very relaxed with little to no worries. Each day Logan returned home, Nina would rush to him, hug him and walk him to the couch, then she would massage his shoulders as he relaxed in her touch, the two seemed like the perfect married couple. That particular day, Logan was in his office, opposite him sat Keith who then spoke, ‘‘Logan, are you really going to let her go through everything?’’ Logan nodded his head, but Keith continued, ‘‘I think she does not deserve to go through all that, she literally gave up everything for you.’’ Logan smirked, ‘‘and I have given her everything, haven’t I?’’ Keith sighed, ‘‘but she values you, she is happy with you, don’t let her go through what the others have, it’s not necessary.’’ Logan looked at Keith in the eyes, ‘‘I do care for her too, there is nothing you or I can do about this.’’ That night back in her room, Nina got into her night dress and got into bed with a smile on her face, she closed her eyes and soon fell asleep. The following morning, Nina woke up past 7am as usual, she got up and tried to stretch but she felt her body was restricted. Nina opened her eyes wide enough to see what was happening, alas she was where she knew not of, the place was filled with a number of other big round crystal balls with women in them, and everyone was of different races. The room in general was colored white, the crystals with females in them had different color, some red, others black, some white and others blue. Nina’s own was white, as to why she did not know. The women in the other crystals did not have much of a reaction to her arrival until she screamed and gained everyone’s attention. One of the females then speak, ‘‘a new one, but why is her own crystal white?’’ another one answered, ‘‘so? What do I care? I have been locked in this thing for a year now and you expect me to be happy with some new member in a white ball.’’ Nina was confused with what was happening, she tried to process her mind, to remember what she did before she slept but it did not make sense, she asked around about why the women were locked up. All of them gave the same story of moving into the country to live with Logan but after a few days they found themselves in a round object that could not be busted or broken. Nina sat down, tears fell down her eyes, she did not know why this happened or how but it all felt like a terrible dream, she never believed in magic or anything like that. She sat down as she cried her eyes out and heard one of the women speak, ‘‘don’t waste your tears, all of us have cried and soon ran dry, all we do is wait and sometimes have conversations that lead to arguments but you’re welcome.’’ Nina was hurt but she was still polite as she nodded her headed and weakly mouthed a ‘‘thank you.’’

Three days later 2pm, back in the house, Logan sat on his bed as he opened a small blue box in it was a diamond ring, which he had kept for over ten years now. He then walked out of the house and held the ring to the sky, he breathed in as he relaxed and closed his eyes, and began to wait just as he did many other times. At that moment, he could feel changes in the atmosphere as the sun no longer shone, it was beginning to be dark. Logan then felt a strong presence as the ring shook in its box, at this point rain began to pour and Logan smiled. The smile he had on his face was one he hadn’t had in a very long time, from the window Keith saw what happened, he also hoped for this day but he did not feel happiness or joy, he was expressionless. After seizing the moment, Logan then headed into the house, he was soaking wet but he did not care, he walked to last room in the house and opened the door. While on the other side, everyone in the Crystal balls was led into a deep sleep by what they did not know, after waking up they all were inside a room as they all were free. Some stood to jump around, others were still numb and sat on the floor, Nina was one of those who walked around to observe the place. At that moment, the door opened, and they looked at who came in, to their dismay it was Logan, everyone at this point knew that whatever happened to them was his fault. Without wasting much time, they all pounced on him except Nina who looked at him with different emotions. Logan did not stop anyone from hitting him, he let them kick him, slap him, punch him, till Keith heard the noise and came to his rescue. Everyone then looked at Logan as he sat down weakly, he knew he owed them an explanation and began to explain, ‘‘even though this won’t change anything, I am sorry, you all never asked to be trapped in a crystal ball, all fifteen of you had reasons why you came into my life. Some for money and luxuries which were the black ball members, others for fame and prestige, the brown ball members, some for my looks those were the red ball members, only one of you came for me without knowing all I have or how I look, without basing what she felt for me on these things and that is, Nina the only white ball member.’’ As soon as he said this most of them in these categories looked down in guilt while others did not care, Logan then continued, ‘‘I am not an ordinary man, my family dates back to the time of supernatural beings and powerful humans to ever exist, with time those titles and power were passed on to generations. My father always said, ‘the person you choose to make your life partner may not change your individuality but she will have an effect on you, your life decisions, your children, how others see you and most especially she will take over your heart.’ The disappearance of you all was due to my roots, this was what every leader of my clan went through, whoever I will be with, will not only be my partner but my co ruler of a land that only we know, she ought to love me, be devoted to me and live for the people and I. I have found her and you are all free, I have attached enough money for you all to move on like none of this happened, I am sorry.’’ With that said, Logan bowed down to the women, some forgave him, others just left, some did not mind what they went through knowing they would receive some good money.

After everyone left, Nina and Logan were the only ones left, she looked at him and sighed, then walked past him as he watched her leave, he had no idea what she thought or what she wanted to do, he just did not want to lose her. Logan was being attended to by a doctor as Keith knocked on Nina’s door, she let him in and he took a sit on her bed and asked, ‘‘how are you?’’ Nina smiled, ‘‘I am okay and you?’’ Keith smiled at her too but sadness filled his eyes, ‘‘I am sad and happy, happy for him and sad for myself, I like you and hoped you were not the one Logan has been looking for so that maybe I could try my luck but it is what it is.’’ Nina was not surprised by his words, ‘‘thank you for liking me, at this point I want to go home, I can’t live here, this is not my life, I am not some co ruler, I have always just wanted a simple, peaceful and happy life.’’ Keith’s eyes lit up, ‘‘I can help you leave,’’ Nina immediately nodded, ‘‘then come with me I have a life back home.’’ Keith shook his head, ‘‘I can’t leave just yet, I need to take care of something.’’ That night, Logan was in a deep sleep due to his body being in pain from the beating, Keith took this opportunity to help Nina escape, he drove her to the airport while covering his face. At the entrance of the airport, Nina looked at Keith with a smile and abruptly hugged him, to which he hugged her too, she blew him a kiss and left. The following morning, Logan woke up with aches all over his body, he forced himself into Nina’s bedroom but found her gone, he looked through the whole house and realized she left him. Keith actually helped him look for her, Logan was drained as he sat on his bed and looked into Keith’s eyes as he spoke with certainty, ‘‘no one who is mine will leave me, I will find her and make her lick the ground I walk on, she is mine, no one can ever change that.’’ Nobody knew whether Logan would find her or not, but Nina knew she followed her heart once again and just like the first time she did not regret it. 

April 16, 2021 20:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.