Contest #186 shortlist ⭐️

27 comments

American Historical Fiction

Glass Beach


Come—walk with me this strand of glass

    Through mists of time

            To other days


Whose memories, in this mingled mass

Of splendid hues 

With bright arrays, 


Are scattered here.


Come—follow me the world around,

To places far

And near. Anon,


The touch, the smell, the taste, the sound

And sight of all

That is bygone 


Will gather here.


These motley particles enshroud

 The sheltered cove 

With stories. Each


Though now obscured by veil of cloud,

Will be revealed

On pebbled beach


In lustrous sphere.


 <•>


Your feet slide and crunch as we walk. Reach down. Scoop up a handful of pastel pebbles. Roll them with your thumb. Feel them slipping damply against each other, clacking softly. Drying in the salty breeze.


Those are pieces of history in your palm. Shards of glass rounded and muted by the passage of time. Frosty whites, sugared-chestnut browns, misty greens. Here and there a tiny bead of cloudy cobalt or amethyst, the barest fleck of ruby, a slender ellipse of midnight-sky obsidian.


Examine them, color by color, and let them tell their stories.


 <•>


Obsidian


A suitable branch. A carefully crafted spear head. A length of rawhide thong. Bitaa carried these off to his peaceful place, where he could fashion them into a spear.


The boy’s small, coppery hands wrapped the leather strip tightly, as he had been taught—crisscrossing round and round the base of the sharp obsidian piece. Tongue clamped between his teeth, he bent in concentration as he bound the thong to the wood he had made smooth. Oh, the yowsha he would catch… the slippery, silvery salmon!


He knew a stream nearby, teeming with egg-laden fish struggling to reach their spawning site. His spear would help him get a meal for his family. His father would be proud; his mother grateful.


Directing the spear with a confident thrust into the milling throng of yowsha, Bitaa was startled by a sudden “Whuff!” from his namesake—a small brown bear who appeared just upstream. The boy yanked back, too quickly, and lost the fish. There was a moil of reddened water, and a pointless tool.


The strapping he had thought sufficient had come loose, and the fine, purplish-black obsidian was lost in the water.


 <•>


Cobalt 


Vilho’s weeping bride kneels on the floor, wiping up a smear of something red.


Mussu, sweetie, what’s the matter? Are you all right?”


Ulla presses the back of her hand against her nose, sniffles, then points silently to the nearby dustpan. Within it are fragments of blue glass.


“Oh, mussu...” Vilho lifts her up from the floor and wipes her face with the corner of her apron. Holds her in a tight embrace.

“What happened?” His warm breath stirs the wisps of straw colored hair at her temple.

“Ohhhh…” she wails, unable to articulate. And so he holds her while she sobs, mourning the loss of more than the blue vase.


Tenderly, the young husband picks a needle-sharp sliver of glass from his Ulla’s bare foot. A shard of blue, tinged with red. 


The vase must be discarded. Ulla will heal, and together they will grow into their new lives in this new country—half a world away from Finland. 


<•>


Ruby


“Son, we need to talk.”


“Talk?”


“ About the car.”


“Car…?”


“Oh, I have an echo. Yes, car. Sitting in the garage. With a half-empty tank.”


“Oh…well, I—”


“Nineteen cents a gallon, son. Use your math skills.”


“I was going to—” 


“And a missing taillight.”


“I…uh…”


“What happened? No, let me guess. You took Doris for a spin while I was gone. Didn’t think I’d notice. Where’d you go? The overlook?”


“Uh…How’d you know?”


“Ha! I was young once, son. What happened? Sideswiped a tree, eh?…Taillight’s shattered, pieces gone over the cliff into the water…You’re looking at me like I’m psychic. A little more respect for your old man now? Eh?”


“Dad, I—I’m sorry. I’ll pay for the gasoline and replace the taillight.”


“They come clear across the country from Ohio, you know. The dealer may not have them in stock, so it could be a while. And I don’t know how much it’ll cost. Probably more than it should, so start saving your pennies.”


“Yes, Dad.”


“Well. Hrmph! I’ve heard that’s the weak point of Willys-Knights. Taillights break easily. Not that it excuses your actions, son!”


“No, Dad. It doesn’t.”


“I don’t think I should need to tell you this—but I will. Never, ever do something like that again. Understand?”


“Yes, Dad. I’ve learned my lesson.”


“One more thing.”


“Yes, Dad?”


“I’m glad no one was hurt.”


<•>


Violet


It was for the best, Violet told herself. Mr. Murphy had lost his will to live, since his wife’s unexpected death. 


“It’s a kindness, really, is what it is,” she murmured as she uncapped the bottle. “No one will know to thank me, so I’ve just got to thank myself.”


Humming to herself, she tipped a generous amount of her special powder into the milk. Mr. Murphy always enjoyed a mug of cocoa at bedtime, to help him sleep. 


She opened the door of the wood stove and stirred the embers to a bright flame before dropping in the makeshift paper funnel. 


“And these,” she said, pulling off her white cotton gloves so that they were turned inside out. “Pity. They were my nicest pair. But I’ll sacrifice them for poor Mr. Murphy’s sake.”


It was odd, remarked Mr. Whipple to Mrs. Whipple, that Violet MacPherson had left town just when Mr. Murphy took a turn for the worse. And she’d forgotten to put the milk bottles out for him to collect.


<•>


Amber 


Pink bismuth. Paregoric. Fleet enema. Iodine. Syrup of ipecac. A big bottle of cod liver oil. 


Empty the medicine cabinet. Pack the old bottles into a box and mark it “Discard”. Cross that out and write “Save”. The bottles are old enough to be collector’s items. 


The cod liver oil one is especially interesting. It’s amber-colored, embossed all around with little scallopy scales. On one side is the likeness of a fish. There’s about an inch of oil remaining, surely rancid by now. 


The thought makes me gag. But then I remember Grandma’s story, and I laugh instead!


Her mother believed in cod liver oil. At any sign of illness, out came the bottle... Grandma was a feisty little girl, and she was determined to dispose of that nasty stuff. She sneaked the bottle out of the house and tossed it in the neighbor’s incinerator.


But, for as long as I could remember, this bottle has sat in the cabinet. She kept it because it belonged to her mother. So I keep it.


<•>


Clear, Brown, Green


Wednesday, April 18, 1906, 5:12 a.m.:

The Great San Francisco Earthquake.  


High-intensity shaking was felt up and down the coast of Northern California. One hundred seventy miles from the epicenter, the people of Fort Bragg were rattled by what was reported “one of the most terrible earthquakes that ever visited the Pacific Coast. The earth seemed to swell and heave like the bosom of the ocean and people were tossed about and thrown from their beds amidst the crashing of falling walls and collapsing buildings, making a din that caused nearly everyone to think the end of the world had come.”


Every brick building crumbled to the ground. Stores were in ruins, residences lost.


Mirroring San Francisco on a smaller scale, a fire broke out in the tiny coastal town. Caused by an oil lamp being overturned in the violent quake, it destroyed an entire block of buildings before it was quenched.


The town was reduced to heaps of smoldering rubble. Broken bricks, charred wood, shattered windows. Every size from chunks to slivers. Shards and fragments.


There was nothing to do but start over. So the piles and heaps and mounds were pushed over the cliff. Into the sea. 


For years, this place at the bottom of the cliff was known as “The Dumps”. The waves, tossing and tumbling, made discarded lumber into smooth driftwood. And pieces of glass into beautiful, frosted sea glass. 


<•>


It’s time to go. Open your hand and let the pieces fall—sliding from your grasp one by one. Listen as each drops to the ground; every one makes a different sound. Look at them; every one adding something of its own to the mosaic. 


<•>


In lustrous sphere these tales old

On pebbled beach

Have been revealed.


Far many more shall ne’er be told—

Their secrets kept

 Forever sealed


In lustrous sphere.















February 25, 2023 04:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

27 comments

Wendy Kaminski
15:23 Feb 25, 2023

This was so well done, Cindy - the history of sands through the hourglass of time. Beautiful concept, and wonderfully executed!

Reply

Cindy Strube
20:49 Mar 01, 2023

Thanks, Wendy! I guess I ponder more than I realize about the history of objects. I enjoyed using the “fragments” concept to make stories for each color.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
15:16 Mar 03, 2023

And boom! Awesome! Congratulations on the shortlist, Cindy - so well-deserved! :)

Reply

Cindy Strube
05:00 Mar 05, 2023

☺️ Thanks, Wendy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Absolutely beautiful, Cindy! Wonderful title. Perfect for the fragments prompt. Truly aweing poetry at the beginning and end. I can see and smell and hear and feel and taste the scene. You activated all of my senses. The “pebbles” in the dividers <•> seem to take on the color of their title word. My glass anecdote: On a beach by Lake Superior, I was walking at the wave line with bare feet, watching the sand and pebbles in the shallows get moved by the waves. Something dark and translucent swirled near my feet, and I plunged my hand i...

Reply

Cindy Strube
19:47 Apr 13, 2023

Guadalupe, Thanks for sharing your own glass anecdote. Another fragment that has its own history! The theme I chose seemed to invite a poetic element. I enjoyed “supposing” about each color and making unique histories for them. It helps me, when I’m writing, to try imagining all the sensory factors of a scene I’m trying to create, so I often incorporate the senses into my stories. Thanks so much for sharing the incident of your little brother. That’s an all-time best comment! And here’s a message for him: I am honored to be remembered as “t...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
03:32 Mar 10, 2023

Hey Cindy! Wow! This one was epic. I loved the way you captured the themes of this story in lines of poetry. I found myself re reading the poems, specifically, after inhaling the whole story. I thought you did an excellent job of capturing the powers of the ocean. I also really liked how you incorporated the exact date of the earth quake. Nice work and congrats!

Reply

Cindy Strube
17:15 Mar 20, 2023

Thanks, Amanda! Glad you enjoyed it. I like history, and often write in historical terms, but this one gave me especially good opportunity to tell several different little stories. And I learned something. We are between SF and Fort Bragg, but the quake was far more devastating up there. Now I’d like to go back to Glass Beach with awareness of its background!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Morris
09:53 Mar 04, 2023

There's just so much in this! It reads like a whole book rather than just one short story. Brilliant. Well done, Cindy!

Reply

Cindy Strube
05:04 Mar 05, 2023

Thanks, Chris! The research was really interesting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jane Andrews
07:22 Mar 04, 2023

This was a lovely piece, Cindy: fragments of glass telling fragments of stories. And in the same way that the shards came in so many different colours, your stories differed equally in style and content. This really deserved to be shortlisted.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Marty B
03:28 Mar 04, 2023

Congratulations! I liked the line 'Look at them; every one adding something of its own to the mosaic. ' Just like your fantastic story :)

Reply

Cindy Strube
05:08 Mar 05, 2023

Thanks, Marty! I enjoyed making a word picture out of fragments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Felice Noelle
23:05 Mar 03, 2023

Cindy: Hurrah, finally...well-earned, long awaited, deserved recognition for your talents. I just stopped by Reedsy this evening to check in on some of my favorite writers and was thrilled to see you on the short list. This was a beautiful, evocative piece as many of your stories. Thanks for such a great read. Felice Noelle

Reply

Cindy Strube
05:12 Mar 05, 2023

Oh, I’m glad to see you dropping by! Miss having you here. Thanks so much for reading my story—it was an interesting prompt, and I did enjoy investigating all those fragments! Hope you’re doing OK and will join in again.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
15:29 Mar 03, 2023

Oh, wow, Cindy. This is magical. I devoured every word and was left wanting more. You are a true artist in every sense of the word. It's a good day for bird brains everywhere! Congratulations, enjoy every moment of this wonderful day (and onward). oxo

Reply

Cindy Strube
05:15 Mar 05, 2023

Thanks, Susan! I was delighted that you were also recognized. I did enjoy trying to make a story mosaic. The little tidbits were just a glimpse into each life!

Reply

Susan Catucci
10:48 Mar 05, 2023

And it worked beautifully - and to think it all starts with a tiny spark of an idea that grows (if it's meant to, and Glass was certainly meant to!) Congratulations again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
15:03 Mar 03, 2023

Congratulations Cindy! Happy to see this unique piece of yours get recognition.😊

Reply

Cindy Strube
04:59 Mar 05, 2023

Thanks, Suma! A little shocking, but in a nice way…☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
19:26 Mar 01, 2023

Oh, if the objects found could speak our language or we their language; what rich stories we could know! The ocean is always the mainstay of a piece, coupled with the beach, giving it that forever feel. You begin where you start, which is awesome. Great job! LF6.

Reply

Cindy Strube
23:10 Mar 01, 2023

Yes… objects can be a mine of inspiration! If we don’t know the stories, we have to invent them. “Forever feel” is a good description. I was fortunate, as a child, to spend a lot of time at the coast with my grandparents. Grandpa would lie on a blanket and shortly be lulled to sleep by waves crashing repeatedly onto the shore. The sound of waves and the smell of salty air is very evocative!

Reply

Lily Finch
00:46 Mar 02, 2023

Nice memory. LF6.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
00:15 Mar 01, 2023

"One man's (town's) trash is another's memory," in a roundabout way. This digs into the idea of lifeless objects being witnesses to our lives, even as they go through their own "lives", being worn down over time. What a superpower it would be, to pick up such a pebble and see its story. The beach setting for this gives it a mystical, timeless quality. The sea has fascinated us probably since forever, and the idea of things washing up on shore is exciting and sparks the imagination. That alone is neat, but additionally tying memories to col...

Reply

Cindy Strube
22:49 Mar 01, 2023

Just imagine all the noise and tumult if every little fragment had a voice! Or the visual overstimulation if they only projected pictures we could see… :0 Originally I thought of a kaleidoscope, with all those tiny fragments—but something (that mysticism) drew me to beach glass. I’ve been many times to Ft. Bragg and walked on Glass Beach, but never knew its full story. Didn’t know the town suffered such damage in the ‘06 quake. (They’re right on the fault, apparently, and it swings around us here.) And had no idea about The Dumps. Such an ...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:01 Mar 03, 2023

Congratulations on the shortlist :D

Reply

Cindy Strube
05:02 Mar 05, 2023

Thanks! It’s an honor to be on the same list with you. 😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.