Hmm.

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about someone who has a superpower.... view prompt

1 comment

Fantasy

Hmm. If you could wish for one superpower it would be flying?

Hmm. I’ve never really thought about flying as a superpower. After all, birds fly. Except for Penguins. There can’t be a single penguin that can fly, surely. If they could fly, you just know they wouldn’t stay that far North, or South, all year long. 

Oh, and Ostriches can’t fly. Run like crazy, yes; but that’s not a superpower, either. Stick their head in the sand? Better than anyone, I guess. But they can’t fly. Still, most birds fly. Hold on, I’ll be right back. Zip.

Hmm. Where were we? Oh yes, birds that don’t fly. Thanks for reminding me. You’re right, Emus can’t fly, either. But aren’t they related to the Ostrich? I’m pretty sure they are, but even if they aren’t, they still can’t fly.

Cassowaries? Give me a break. You’re still talking about ratites. So let’s just call it like it is. Ratites can’t fly. That rules out Rheas. And the Dodo, the Moa and Elephant bird, I believe. Before we move on, I’ve got to eat something. Care to join me? No? OK, I’ll be back. Zip.

I’m back. Hmm. Wait a minute - you CAN fly. Just not by yourself. There are airplanes, many kinds of airplanes, that can fly you from here to there. And helicopters. Don’t forget Gliders, or even kites. The kind made for flying. Hmm. 

That gives you a little bit of an idea about why I don’t consider flying a superpower. I can fly, you can fly, most birds can fly. Can you think of another superpower you might wish for? No, wait. That was your wish, so let’s fly with that. What should I call you, if you gain the ability to fly? What should you call me?

Hmm. I think I would like to fly in an SST. Or some kind of supersonic bird, if you’ll pardon the expression, calling an airplane a bird. Something fast. Very fast. 

While we’re thinking about what to call you, we could call me Speedy. Hmm, too obvious, isn’t it. Call me streaker. Wait, doesn’t that have another meaning? Maybe not streaker. 

Hmm, sorry. I do everything fast. So when I think fast, sometimes I get myself in trouble. What should you call me?

I know; velocious, from velocity. I like the sound of that. Velocious. Let me show you. I’ll be right back. Zip. Zip.

I’m back. See? Velocious. Hmm, wait. That sounds too much like delicious. Not sure I want to go with velocious after all. So we don’t have a name for me yet, and we don’t have one for you. Or did you think of one while I was gone? Well, give it some more thought while I go to eat. Still don’t want to join me? OK, then. I’ll be back after a quick snack. Zip.

Did you think about names while I was gone? You still don’t know what to call me, do you? How about brisk? That means fast. Not as fast as me, though. And it sounds like brisket. Nope. Still thinking.

Hmm. Nimble? Quick? Rapid? How about dashing? Hmm. That sounds like I’m bragging about my appearance. Hm. Flash? Fleet? Racer? Blue streak? I like your black hoodie. I could be the blue streak, and you could be the black streak. Hmm. No, I don’t like the sound of us being black and blue.

Hmm. Chop-chop? Oh no, that sounds terrible. Too much like an ax murderer. Not chop-chop, definitely not that.

Wait, don’t go away. I’ll try to think in double time so you know what to call me when we meet again. Hmm. Hasty? Screaming? Not screaming eagle, definitely not that. Hmm. Speedball? I think we’re getting close.

Hmm. I know - call me Hypersonic. I really like the sounds of that. Let me see if I can make sounds while I zip around here super fast. Zip. Hmm. Zip. I like it; what do you think?

No, wait. Isn’t there a cartoon character called Sonic? Sonic the Hedgehog? I think maybe Hypersonic and Sonic are too close to the same name. Hyper? Hm, please don’t call me hyper. Pretty please?

Hmm. Maybe we should focus on you first, instead of me. If you get your wish, I mean. Or have you changed your wish? Hmm. You wouldn’t want a name that suggested fast, or flying, if your superpower were X-Ray vision, or something not related to speed. Do you still wish you could have the alleged superpower of flight, or have you changed your mind?

Hmm. I have an idea. You could ask for the superpower of changing size instantly. I would love to grow enormous when some bully wanted to pick on me. Wouldn’t you? Or do bullies pick on you? Hmm. Maybe, since you’re so much bigger than me, you don’t have that problem.

But if your superpower was instant size change you could make yourself really small, to get out of a tight spot. You could slip under a door, go through a keyhole, be so tiny nobody noticed. Hmm. Not being noticed could be a great chance to listen in on secrets.

Hmm. You feel like you don’t get noticed now? I wish I had that problem. Anyway, we still need to figure out a superpower for you. What about super strength? You could really get noticed then. Look at Arnold Schwarzenegger and The Rock. They get noticed a lot, and they’re super strong. 

You make a good point. Hmm. They’re famous, so even if they weren’t super strong they might get noticed just as much. Why don’t we just go back to flying? That was your original wish anyway. So let’s pretend you get your wish, and suddenly you can fly. What should we call you then?

Hmm. I know - Falcon. Trained falcons are often hooded, and you have that awesome black hoodie. Hmm. I think I’ve seen you in other colored hoodies, too. Haven’t I? I see you smiling. Falcon it is.

Now, what should you call me? Hmm. Hummingbird? But that’s so humdrum. Hmm. But you’re right. It’s what I am, so I guess the name fits. Be right back. Zip.

June 29, 2020 14:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Gip Roberts
18:48 Aug 02, 2020

"Call me streaker. Wait, doesn't that have another meaning?" Lol. I liked the struggle with finding the right names for a superhero duo you wrote about here.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.