20 comments

Drama Contemporary Teens & Young Adult

This was supposed to be the happiest day of their life. It was going to be magnificent and absolutely splendid. But not everything always turns out the way you hope.

 The morning was bright casting its dazzling light through the blinds peeping in and then wrapping me in a blanket of warmth. My alarm clock buzzed signaling it was time to get up. Time to head off to work. “No..” I groggled trying to turn the alarm clock off but then I remembered what was supposed to happen today. I didn't have to go to work. I had taken the day off.

I sprung from my bed and turned on the light. I blinked my eyes a couple of times to make my vision less fuzzy. I stretched my arms and yawned. I went to the bathroom and brushed my teeth and once I came back I changed into a pale blue summer dress that matched the color of my eyes and was a mix between fancy and casual. I pulled my blonde hair up into a bun but a few ringlets broke loose. I quickly ate breakfast, applied light makeup, packed the picnic basket, slid on my shoes, and then I was ready. I pulled out my phone from my purse. I dialed Cletus's number and put the phone to my ear and listened as it rang.

“Hello?” Cletus answered groggily. “It's so early, what do you want?”

“You said you would be up by now.” I frowned.

“Did I?” 

“Yes, you did.”

“Hmmm.” He mumbled.

“Get up, I'll be over in ten.”

“You driving?” He smirked.

“Yes, what's so funny about that?”

“Nothing.”

“Good. See you then.”

I sighed and hung up, sometimes Cletus could be so hard. It was so frustrating whenever he broke his promises, like how he promised he would be up by now and even offered to drive. How he promised to pack the picnic basket and then completely forgot and asked if I could do it myself.

He just seemed so out of it lately I was starting to wonder if he ever wanted to be with me because he certainly did not act like it. I pushed the thoughts from my head. Today was going to be amazing. We would sit at the edge of a large pond that no one but us knew about and eat our picnic lunch. It would all be perfect. We would have the time of our lives, maybe we could even go swimming. The weather would be warm enough.

I bounded upstairs and grabbed my swimsuit and grabbed one of Cletus’s he had forgotten to take home months ago. I slipped them into my bag, grabbed my car keys off the counter, stepped outside, locked the door behind me, and got into my car. I turned on some jazz, humming softly to the melodies. 

I pulled up to Cletus's house and rang the doorbell, there was a giggle from inside and some rustling. “Coming!” He shouted. There was some more rustling and then a few minutes later Cletus emerged.

“Good to see you're awake.”

“Why, you didn't think I would be?”

I was about to answer when I saw movement from behind him. “Who's that? I asked with pursed lips.

“Uh- no one.” He denied

I raised an eyebrow. “I’m Melodie.” Replied a woman. She walked out, she had wavy brown hair that went down to her lower back and bright green eyes.

“And you are?” She asked.

“Aurelia. His girlfriend.” I said glaring at Cletus.

“Well uh thank you for the coffee, I’ll see you around.”

“Where ya goin?” She asked

“For a picnic,” He responded.

 She nodded and gave him a sweet smile

I stormed to the car and threw open the door taking the driver's seat. Cletus slid in on the other side.

“What was that about?” I fumed.

“What was what about?” He asked.

“That woman in your house?” I demanded.

“Hey no need to get so angry, she was just being nice and dropping off some coffee for me.”

“Was she over when I called?” I asked.

“Yes.” He admitted.

“So you were whining to me about how early it was when you were all ready, drinking coffee with this random lady?”

“Maybe. It was still early though and I didn’t know she was coming over.”

“Uh-huh yeah totally.” I glared at him and turned towards the road.

“Hey, no need to overreact!” He exclaimed.

“Oh yeah, I'm overreacting.”

“Yeah you are, I was just drinking coffee, nothing harmful about that.”

“Yeah drinking coffee when you promised to be up promised to drive me but instead you're hanging out with some other lady and just pushing your girlfriend aside.”

“Look, I'm sorry.”  Are you though? You always say you're sorry but you do nothing about your actions.

“You had great plans for today lets just forget about it and have a good time!” he suggested.

I thought about it, I wanted to forgive him, I really did, I didn't like being angry, and I wanted this to be a good day.

“Okay, we can put all of this behind us if you promise to keep your word from now on.”

“Fair enough butterfly.”

I smiled at his nickname for me, hoping that this could be a good day, a fun day, a day to remember.

The forest came into view and a smile danced on my lips, the tall sturdy trees with dark green leaves, the wet grass brushing against your legs, the cool water as it splashes on your face. I sighed dreamily.

I pulled the car up into the parking lot and was surprised to see not that many people there but I suppose it was a random Wednesday morning. I opened the car door and stepped out.

“You look pretty.” He said with a wink

I blushed. It was a bit late for that but still sweet. I opened the trunk and pulled out the picnic basket. “I can carry that for you.” He offered.

“Thanks.”

He was sure sweet today. I just wish he was like that every day, sweet and kind. “After you Milady.”

He gestured to a dirt path I walked along breathing in the scent of pine needles and grass after the rain. Birds chirped overhead and frogs croaked in the distance. I stopped in front of a fallen log.

“This is the right one, right?” I asked

“Yep!”

I held the folds of my dress and wondered if I should have worn something more casual. I stepped over braches ducked under cobwebs as I made my way off the trail with Cletus right behind me. “So have you ever wondered if maybe we're not supposed to go off-trail because of the signs that say not to?” He asked.

“Pfft. I would never give up this spot just because we're not supposed to be there. Would you?”

“I suppose not.

The July sun beat down on our back and I realized it would definitely be warm enough to swim.

I readjusted my bag trying to make it comfortable but I wasn't looking where I was going and I tripped over a stick. Cletus sprung forward and caught me in his arms before I fell.

"Thanks," I mumbled.

"Anytime." He replied.

Cletus bounded forward and I tried to keep up with his everlasting energy. "I think I can see the lake!" He exclaimed.

"It's a pond you goofball." I laughed.

"Same difference." He replied.

"Not really."

I stepped into the clearing. The pond glimmered like sapphires surrounded by cool smooth stones. It sat in the middle of a large clearing full of emerald green grass and bright flowers. Tall trees blocked the view from everyone else but had gaps so the sunlight could seep in.

"Do you remember when we found this place?" He asked

"How could I forget?" I chuckled.

"You were so intimate on catching me you followed me into the middle of the woods."

"I couldn't just let you win. I had to win I had to tag you, even if that meant running into the middle of the forest. And I won, did I not and I proved I was faster and better than you." I smiled.

"Remember how many cuts we had afterward?"

"Oh yeah so many, my mom was not happy. We used practically all of the bandaids."

"My mom didn't even bother, just told me they would heal eventually."

"I remember that." I laughed. "You were so proud of all your cuts and bruises, said it made you look like a man."

"They hurt a lot more than you would think though." He replied.

"But it was worth it."

"Definitely. This spot is gorgeous. Just like you." He brushed one of my ringlets from my face and leaned in so I could feel his breath on my cheek.

But his phone buzzed and he pulled away. I sighed. He swore under his breath.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Oh, nothing. Hey since it's so nice out do you want to go for a dip?" He asked.

"Are you sure that was nothing?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Yes, I'm sure now let's have some fun!"

I grabbed my bag and threw him his swim trunks then I grabbed my two-piece slipped on my shoes and slipped into the woods where no one could see me. I took off my dress and my under layers and slipped on my bikini lacing up the blue laces then I took off underlayers and put on my striped swim bottoms. I put my clothes back in my bag and put back on my shoes. I walked back out into the clearing but Cletus was nowhere in sight.

Has he seriously wandered off again?

Cletus would sometimes wander off get lost in his thoughts, it was a bit troubling and annoying at times but I had grown to accept it. The heat was getting unbearable so I got into the pool and floated on my back it was quite peaceful but after an hour I was getting quite worried about my boyfriend.

I got out of the pool and wrapped myself in a towel. I slid on my shoes I walked through the underbrush thorns scratching my legs but I ignored them I had much more pressing worries. Was Cletus okay? What happened to him?

I sped up my pace until I reached the main road with still no sight of Cletus. I heard a giggle from my left side. It definitely didn't sound like Cletus but someone else I recognized I sped up my pace but I didn't hear any more sound. Crack.

There.

I walked slower and took deep breaths. Cletus was probably fine probably got in a long conversation with some other people here he had a tendency to make fast friends.

I heard another giggle so I stopped I peeked behind a bush and was about to scream his name when I froze. Literally froze.

A girl was leaning on Cletus her hands around his neck one of her legs wrapped around his chest and was passionately kissing him. And Cletus was passionately kissing her back.

"What the heck?" I yelled I rushed up to Cletus my face twisted in fury.

"What the heck is happening here?" I demanded.

The girl untangled herself from Cletus sending him a smirk. "Looks like someones in trouble." Melodie kissed him on the lips and sashayed away.

"See ya later Cle."

Cletus sent her a desperate look. "I said what the heck happened."

Cletus fumbled for words. "I was looking for you, I thought you were hurt I didn't know what had happened to you, and instead you're making out with the girl who was over this morning?"

"I can explain..." He mumbled.

"How? How can you justify that." I screamed. "All this time we've been dating you've been secretly having affairs with other women?"

"It's not like that." he stumbled.

"Then why else were you making out with her?'

"Hey, no need to get mad try to keep an open mind."

"I have been, you've been such a lousy boyfriend making me do everything for you always breaking your word, and yet I'm the one who gets hurt. This is over Cletus. Were over."

I didn't want any more of his heartfelt lousy apologies, Melodies could have that lying slinking fox and I hope she realized who he really was, what a skunk he was under all of his masks.

I turned away and stormed off Cletus tried to call for me but I had made up my mind, but by then it was too late.

November 13, 2020 23:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

20 comments

Kat Sencen
06:20 Dec 30, 2020

This was really good Rachel! I loved how you kept it simple and effective, with some humor and some flashbacks from the past and some parts that make you cry even though you barely know the characters but still know them enough to see through their eyes!

Reply

Echo Sundar
18:42 Dec 30, 2020

Aww, thanks. I'm glad you like it!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
02:51 Nov 24, 2020

A nice sweet romantic tragedy that Aurelia doesn't deserve. Your sentence formation is very good. Keep writing. Check out my other stories if you have time and give your feedback on it.

Reply

Echo Sundar
16:22 Nov 24, 2020

Will do!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Adrian Solorio
13:26 Nov 22, 2020

This is a story about love and innocence. Aurelia is young, naive and blind to the truth of what's right in front of her until it's too late to continue the b.s. Cletus must have given Aurelia a love potion or something, haha. Even my most timid ex-girlfriend would have ripped my heart out if she found me non-chalantly having morning coffee with a Melody in my home. Why was Aurelia so willing to look past these indiscretions? What qualities did Cletus possess that made her willing to put up with his obvious breaches of their relation...

Reply

Echo Sundar
16:55 Nov 23, 2020

She just didn't want to let go. They had been dating for a long time and she knew he had some qualities that weren't the best but underneath all of that he was a kind sweet man and she just didn't want to let that go.

Reply

Adrian Solorio
17:38 Nov 23, 2020

Ahhh, I see.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
The Potato
02:38 Feb 02, 2021

it made me want to jump into the story and slap some sense into that guy. lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
The Potato
02:36 Feb 02, 2021

OMG THAT WAS SO GOOD!

Reply

Echo Sundar
16:37 Feb 02, 2021

Thank you so much!! I was sort of experimenting with this story so I'm so glad you liked it!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nora K.
23:11 Nov 24, 2020

Excellent job, Rachel!! I look forward to reading more of your work! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
21:51 Nov 23, 2020

Good for her!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Wolfy 🐺
18:50 Nov 23, 2020

I love the whole story, but the intro is especially good. Great job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
02:43 Nov 23, 2020

This is a really good story but just one tip try to cut down on the word 'and' it kind of felt like it was repeating itself, but I really enjoyed the story and the twist at the end, well done. Lily

Reply

Echo Sundar
16:54 Nov 23, 2020

Thank you for your comment. Next time less and's!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lourenço Amorim
15:01 Nov 18, 2020

Not my cup of tea but well writing and interesting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Echo Sundar
20:45 Nov 23, 2020

Awww. I don't think I'm that good, but thank you so much. Your stories are amazing too!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sophie Tan
06:23 Jun 13, 2022

i enjoyed it <3

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.