city lights out

Submitted into Contest #58 in response to: Write about someone who purposefully causes a power outage.... view prompt

1 comment

Romance Thriller Adventure

A naughty boy was set on a mission to turn off all the city lights. He was fearless and ready to show Xavier’s civilians that he wasn’t afraid to do the worst. On the planet he was born on, there was no sun. The only power source was from electricity invented by scientists. The civilians were careless and badly took advantage of the source they were given. With electricity invented, people harmed the environment and animals declining in biodiversity. But no one cared. After all, the only thing that mattered was humanity. Ever since the boy was young, he showed compassion for the animals and cared for Xavier’s health. He was distraught seeing the way people destroyed his home and was fueled to show them how their actions have consequences. He ran in the dark alleyway gripping on his flashlight. He could hear the city’s sounds from a mile away. He saw groups of people walking and dancing in the city lights in the distance, all civilians wearing smiles on their faces, not one was not frowning. He put on his black mask matching with his black jacket and pants. He walked facing the ground looking suspicious but no one noticed as they were all having fun. His goal was to get to the cities power source which was located in between dozens of factories pumping with gas. It was going to be difficult not getting caught, but he’d do anything for this mission. He reached the factories and saw thousands of cars parked in parking spots and lands. He hid behind them as cars and people showed up desperate to not get caught. He saw a girl about his age standing in a dark corner with a frown on her face. Her blue eyes were glistening in the street lamps light, she was pretty. The boy debated whether to talk to her or not till she looked right at him eyes wide full of tears. The boy sighed, he walked to her and smiled slightly behind the mask. The girl looked away and smiled back, “I noticed you hiding behind the cars just a few minutes ago” she chuckled wiping her tears away with her sleeve. The boy blushed, “uh yeah, uhm ignore that” he nervously said. “My name is Anne, what about you?” the girl names Anne said expecting a response. The boy stayed silent for a few seconds, “My name is Jhon.” The girl was about to say something but Jhon cut her off, “I- I have to go” he ran off. “Wait! Let me come with you!” she yelled, “you can’t I’m sorry…” The girl blankly stared at him walk behind the factory buildings. She smirked, she wasn’t going to let him leave without her. The boy felt saddened as he left the girl, she was just a stranger to him but felt a deep connection to her. He sighed, “I shouldn’t think about a girl at a time like this” he sat on the side of the factory wall. The sky was dark lit up by street lights. There were no stars today. There never were on days like these. He stood up and dusted his pants off, his rest was over and now it was the time for action. He had to be sly to get into the electricity building. If anyone catches him, he will be sent to prison for the rest of his life. But he wouldn’t let that happen to him. He heard a rustle behind him and felt a shiver go down his spine, “John!” A girl with bright blonde hair popped out in his sight. “What the hell are you doing here!” he grunted, “I told you not to come.” The girl frowned, “I want to see what you’re up to…” John sighed, “I guess I’ll have to tell you then since your so insistent” The girl chuckled, “My mother did always tell me that” She stood beside him. He told her the plan. He could see her eyes sparkle brighter than before, “I can’t believe your going to do this!” she gasped. John looked away from her, “yeah... It’s risky but I’ll do anything to teach these snobby people a lesson.” The girl smiled, “I would love to help you on this mission, John.” Jhon felt happy, mostly excited. He felt butterflies in his stomach. He noticed her bright pink lips and fair skin. She was petite with soft loving eyes. The girl and boy put on disguises as the staff who worked in the factory. They found some clothes near a garbage can which the clothes were surprisingly clean. The boy gestured for them to go in, and she nodded back. They both wore black masks with brown coats. No one noticed a single thing. Adults were as dumb as they looked. They were able to enter the factory room. Two men were sleeping on their desks, procrastinating. They noticed to get into the security room they would have to steal some keys. They looked around the security room where they found a key. “Is this the key?” The girl asked, “The boy shrugged.” The boy and girl took the key and left the room sly as a fox. “If this isn’t the key I’m going to kill myself” the girl groaned. “Wait, what-” “I wasn’t serious,” the girl rolled her eyes. They snuck behind doors to get to the electricity room. In a red door, they found the printed words, “ELECTRICITY ROOM, DO NOT ENTER.” They both nodded at each other with smilies finally reaching their destination. They unlocked the door and saw sighs of machines and electricity bolts. It was messy but kind of beautiful. “Woah,” the girl mumbled. “Come,” the guy pointed their way. He’d been studying the map of the electricity rooms for years just for this day, he knew everything they had to do to turn off the electricity. They went to a small power room with a red switch, which would turn off all the lights. They both sighed, “Three, two, one!” They toggled the switch, and all of a sudden, the lights went out. The room was dark and there was nothing to be seen. The girl and boy squealed of excitement and hugged. They were blushing, but they couldn’t tell. The factory staff freaked out and couldn’t find a way to the electricity room. The civilians were panicking and were screaming, afraid of the complete dark. What would they do now that the lights were out? Some people took out their battery-powered lights and quickly adapted to the situation while some panicked. The only way for them to get their lights back was to work as a team. The boy and girl both ran away and awaited the civilians to solve the problem no matter how long it took. They had to learn their lesson no matter what, this was for the animals, this was for our world. It took more than one day for the civilians to calm down and think rationally to solve the problem. Factory workers tried multiple times to turn the electricity back on in the factory but they noticed that many things were missing. They couldn’t just remake it as they ran out of the tools for it. They needed a better solution, but what? After discussing and planning, the civilians and engineers found the answer to their problem. A wind turbine. In this world, the only way they got electricity was from nuclear. They never thought about the effects from this source until now. Though it was going to hard in the dark to see the people working together to build energy sources. With energy, there would be light. They used fire for the meantime and flashlights to help see. It took weeks and weeks but in the end, they made it. The civilians teared up at their teamwork. They had built a wind turbine all together. They realized that their actions caused problems to other people, plants/animals, and their world, Xavier. The boy and girl were thrilled as to finding out about the news. Though the wind turbine did take days to work in the end, it worked! People converted from nuclear energy to wind power, which was a much safer choice. Everybody was happier than before. In the darkness, there is always a solution, and teamwork helps you figure out your solution. Light is important and we should think about how power sources affect living beings and our world. The boy had finally completed his mission. He soon lived in a small house with Anne, whom by now he was married with.

September 12, 2020 02:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

KarLynn Erickson
22:22 Sep 16, 2020

Very imaginative. Please work on your paragraphs and spelling. Keep writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.