0 comments

Fantasy

Who would have known? twenty years ago , I would end up in a place I'd never imagined. Don't get me wrong, it's a gorgeous place. Things happen, such as a world pandemic, changing my life forever. The entire City was on lockdown, I lost my job and my condo all within a month.


It was the beginning of a new year, 2020 everyone was buzzing. The excitement of what 2020 would bring t our City. Vancouver was growing, the last four years were marvelous on the ecenomic front. Our Convention Center being one of the top three in the world, hosting events such as Ted Talks and Women Deliver. We were booming in tourism, film and so much more. Our ecenomic situation was great. I worked as a cooridinator for some of are biggest events in the city and it was a magical industry to be involved with. Until the first week in March. The last event I worked was an Award show for Realtors across Canada, hosted by the Convention Center. The date was March 10 almost right after the event. We were notified, all events were being shut down. The Pandemic that started in China in December of 2019, had started to take many lives all over the wolrd. Italy lost nine hundred lives per day. The virus Covid -19 making it's way to North America. That is when everything started to shut down. Isolation, quarantines were not just for the ones in hospital, but all all of us. The City I loved, lived, was born and raised in, was now shut down. No flights in and no flights out, except for those forced to return home from their vacations etc.


This is when Drake an old friend contacted me and informed me that he had a cottage at the lake, two hours away from the city. He wasn't going to be returning home from the retreat he was off meditating in the Himalayas. He was safe and knew that my situation was going to be grim, he also knew I was on my own and would have no one to turn to.


I only just arrived to the lake a day ago, tired from the move and the change. The cottage was perfect a kitchen, loft bedroom, a view of the lake and a small office with a collection of books, perfect for me. I hadn't met the friend,guard,caretaker that would be attending to my needs as I had been told. I was thankful for him being there, but hadn't met him yet. I loved the fresh air as I drank my coffee on the porch that bright sunny morning. I slowly got settled in and decided to take a walk around the lake and the forest, a little hike would do me good. I wondered why I had never pictured this life before.

By the time I had finished my hike, I was hungry and got cleaned up. I decided, I would settle in with a good book. As I reached up, and picked up a classic novel, The Stand, by Stephen king. I leaned back against the shelves, to read the back cover, I suddenly felt dizzy and felt as though I was spinning. I wasn't spinning at all the wall had turned around, I felt like a force was holding me against the wall. Next thing I knew, I was on the other side of the room. I told myself not to panic, this can't be worse than the virus , could it?

Finally once the spinning stopped, I noticed digital lights in front of me. Like a mixing board, only it was making little sounds like I was on a space ship. Next thing I knew I was dressed in head gear and what looked like ski visors over my eyes and I was floating.


As I was whisked off, I felt like I was moving extremely fast, not sure how fast, but fast. I could feel cool air on my skin.

There were lights neon lights, the sound of electronic music. Someone put a drink in my hand and said, "Welcome" I didn't have time to answer they were gone so fast. There was a electronic device on my wrist, I tried to adjust it and noticed, it looked like a mini version of the mixing board device, I had seen in the portal. It was my way back to the portal. I didn't feel anything odd about where I was. I felt excitement rising inside of me, but kept it under control. The people around me were dancing in a futuristic fashion, they were happy and giving off a sense of peace and happiness a nice combination. I was blending in with the others. I caught a glimpse in the mirror and noticed I was dressed like the main character from "Weird Science" John Hughes classic 1985 film, a sci-fi comedy fantasy film, were a high school student creates a superhuman woman on his computer that comes to life by an electrical accident. I felt like I was in a scene from the classic flick.


Next I was floating above ground, people were moving in time with the electronic music. I was above the crowd, I wasn't alone, there were othes. We linked arms and began to rise even higher. The girl I was linked to let go of the others, she was still linked to me, we began to float on together doing acrobats in the air. Laughing and giggling. "Welcome" she said, I didn't speak as I didn't want to say the wrong thing. It was like she read my mind and said "don't worry once you're here, you are here for life" "This is your new life" "My name is Rae", I was about to introduce myself, "You're Electra", I am here as your friend, in this cosmic life"

It was all so new, yet I thought and felt like this was the most amazing place. I didn't want to leave. It was magical. The space behind the book shelf must have been a magical portal. Rae read my mind again and nodded. "This isn't the only dimension" "You will return to the portal, back to the cottage" "You will be able to use the portal to travel any time you desire" "I will be wherever you go and travel the Universe with you, you will never be alone"


Rae explained everything to me. She was right, when I returned to the lake, I did not know how long I had slept for. She explained, I would't remember how long I was gone for, in this life it didn't matter. Each transition was smooth like silk. On our fourth adventure Rae promised she would explain everything to me.


Every adventure was magical. It was like being on a ride out of space. We flew through the sky, passing planets unknown to me and swam through stars. We would end up on a Tropical Island, making new friends everywhere we went. We flew through the Taj Mahal, adventured through Rome. We even visited Drake in the Himalaya's. Only each adventure, wasn't like your normal vacation, catching trains, and busses for transport. We flew in little space ships and zoomed at top speeds. I had never imagined this life, it was like starring in a Netflix series, but it wasn't it was real.


I woke up at the lake on a beach chaise, the sun was warming my skin gently. As I sat up and lay thinking of how the events of the Covid-19 virus had changed my life. I had finally met Q, he took care of all my needs at the cottage. He was wonderful, a perfect friend to have. When I wasn't travelling with Rae through the Universe. I was at the lake with Q.

We ventured out once in a while through the portal, but Q liked the lake the best. We drove to the city, but it was different. Still beautiful, but everything was boarded up, it had been one year since I arrived at the lake. It was on the fourth trip Rae took me on the adventure through Vancouver 2020 and like a movie she showed me, how I lost my job and my life to the pandemic of 2020!


The End


April 20, 2020 05:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.