[You and I]

Written in response to: Write a story about a late bloomer.... view prompt

47 comments

Romance Sad

My fingers drifted along the cool surface of the window, tracing our names where my breath had steamed the glass. It was on nights like these, where the clouds parted for the stars, and the wind hushed for the sea; you and I would sneak ourselves away from the world to meet at the rock pool down by the beach. Your laugh would dance with mine as we stole a secret kiss beneath the waves. I would tug you from the water’s embrace and we stumbled to shore, your arms finding their place around mine, so our bodies warmed as one. The water would lap at our toes as we watched the incoming tides, our hands entwined like the seaweed that tickled our feet. You and I would run through the sand to see who could find the prettiest shells. But no matter how many we found, you would whisper into my hair that there was nothing in this world that held more beauty than I.

You found a conch shell hidden deep underwater, its structure so delicately carved by the waves; each ridge so intricately designed. The flecked shell was adorned with warm hues that held the same familiarity as your eyes. The conch’s silky interior, the same shade as my cheeks whenever your gaze rested upon me. I outlined each crevice, enchanted by its allure. You eased it from my hands and held it up to my ear, telling me that as long as the waves sang from this shell, your heart would sing for mine. It was then that we both knew it would be just you and I until the end. And when the sun kissed the sky, your lips bid me goodbye, already longing for the next time we would meet. We stretched out these rare moments for a lifetime, desperately trying to savour every second, to satisfy our hearts until they met again.

It was on nights like these, where the moonlight glinted in the rain and the taste of frost hung in the air; you and I would flee our responsibilities to hide at the gazebo atop the hill. Your smile kept hidden beneath your woollen scarf as we rolled in the autumn leaves like children. The reds and oranges of nature’s fallen love reflected in the puddles, making it appear as if we were laying in liquid fire. When the dampness soaked through our layers, you would drag me into the coffee shop, down by the walkway and sit me next to the furnace. The warm smell of cinnamon spice wafted from the disposable cups you set before us, your legs bumping affectionately against mine beneath the table. You and I would talk for hours under candlelight, spinning tales of our future together and how nothing could pull us apart.

I found an acorn concealed among the autumnal debris, a contradiction that somehow complemented each of our personalities. The cup was elegantly carved to look like the scales of a dragon, its roughness reminding me of the scars you carried from your past. The smooth shell of the nut; a glimpse into my untouched soul, where you were broken and I was not. You and I, two lost individuals, only found ourselves in each other. And so I led you back up the hill near where the gazebo stood, and eased the gloves from my hands. I raked my fingers through the soil, creating a pit in which to rest the acorn. I ignored the crisp moisture biting into my skin as I placed it in its earthly hollow. When it was planted, I brushed the dirt from my hands and told you that as long as the acorn grew, my love would grow for you. And when it evolved into a strong oak, I would bring you back to carve our names into the bark, so whenever we were apart we would find ourselves solidified in the heart of nature.

It was on nights like these, where smoke billowed from chimneys and trees swayed in the evening breeze; you and I would escape the stillness of life to stay at the cabin in the woods. Your eyes would be set aglow as we sat by the fire, bewitched by the dance of the flames. My head would find its place against your chest as we fought to keep ourselves awake. I could feel the vibration of your voice working its way through my body as you sang into the stars. It was like a rich spoon of honey oozing its way through my veins, each note you held lacing its way into my memory as my thoughts drifted off into space. I would weave my arms around your waist, never wanting to let go. You and I would sit for hours in comfortable silence, praying we could stay like this for an eternity. But when the sun began to peek over the horizon, our trance broken, we began the journey home, our steps already falling in time with one another. It was then that I desperately wanted to say I only felt at home when I was with you.

You found a cluster of moss growing on a tree, its vivid dampness standing out against the dull, knotted bark. From a distance, it gave off a velvety sheen that reminded me of how your hair shimmered under the starlight. The dense-packed strands of greenery making me shudder as I skimmed my fingers over it. Its earthly scent lingering at the back of my nose. You were always fond of nature, seeming to come to life whenever you were among it. I chased you through the trees, our laughter bouncing into the sky. We came upon a creek, watching as the water slithered through, hardly caring how it soaked through our shoes. As we carried on running together, you told me that as long as the moss pointed north, your love would point to mine. I didn’t know it then, but that was the last time I ever stole a moment with you.

It was on nights like these, where my breath caught in my throat and my heart tugged at my chest, that I wished you were still alive. It was often that I found myself curled up on the bathroom floor, drowning in my tears, knowing I could never have you back. Sometimes I still hoped I would find myself cradled in your arms, for you to tell me that everything was going to be okay, but I knew that would never happen. Even so, I yearned for you to hold me against your chest one more time, to feel your heartbeat hammering against mine. But then I reminded myself, even though I didn’t have you with me, I had you in all the little things. When I lay in bed alone, trying my hardest not to break, I pressed my ear against the sleekness of the conch shell, letting the roar of the waves drown out the pain. I visited the oak tree, which had grown quite a bit in the years since you had passed, and stared at the empty spot where you would’ve carved your name. Although that was one thing we never got to do, the tree was still thriving, and that meant our love was, too. I even stopped by that spot in the woods where the moss grew to find comfort in the fact it still pointed north.

I found the cliff tops from the picture you kept tucked away at the back of the dresser by your bed. It’s edges worn, and the colour faded from all the times you traced your fingers over it, fantasising about the day we would stand there, joint in marriage. And as I stood facing the horizon, the wind howled for the pain I carried deep inside me. The waves down below thrashing as my chest caved inward with the realisation of everything I had lost. So I whispered my goodbyes into the night, hoping you would hear me call out, and then I opened the urn, releasing your ashes into the sky. I watched you dance with the stars before the wind whipped you away. A single tear slipped down my face as I turned away. You were gone forever, and I left there with nothing but memories of a life where it was just you and I.

December 23, 2021 23:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

47 comments

Billbug -
23:54 Dec 23, 2021

Just a reupload of one of the last stories I wrote. The ending is the only thing that has been changed, everything else is still the same. The original prompt was 'Start your story with a character looking out of a window in the middle of the night.'

Reply

Show 0 replies
TJ Squared
23:30 Jan 01, 2022

Happy New Years :)

Reply

Billbug -
00:32 Jan 02, 2022

happy new years!! how was your break?

Reply

TJ Squared
01:34 Jan 02, 2022

It Twas nice :)

Reply

Billbug -
04:01 Jan 02, 2022

that’s great to hear (:

Reply

TJ Squared
11:14 Jan 02, 2022

Ye :) You doing anything much?

Reply

Billbug -
14:39 Jan 02, 2022

not really tbh, just busy with revision cause i have my final exams next week. you?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
15:54 Dec 27, 2021

ugh disgustingly beautiful once more :) missed you!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Danny -
10:04 Dec 27, 2021

you don't know how excited I was to see that you've posted a story *iohwgakdljsdgskj*. reading this was phenomenal and just as good as i remember it to be if not better. it was good revisiting the characters and see how their story turned out as told through your unique take on storytelling and writing style. it's impressive how you've come to describe their distinctive personalities and relationship until the end. the way you compose your stories is so expressive and extraordinary, every sentence felt like unveiling a new layer off your cha...

Reply

Danny -
10:04 Dec 27, 2021

*totally not me hiding lil ants from the seventh paragraph onward*

Reply

Billbug -
00:45 Dec 28, 2021

Thank you so much! I’m really glad you enjoyed it, I appreciate the feedback <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
00:25 Dec 25, 2021

billyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
00:25 Dec 25, 2021

hey bestie ;)

Reply

Billbug -
00:27 Dec 25, 2021

hey :D

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
00:29 Dec 25, 2021

I love your pfp :0

Reply

Billbug -
00:31 Dec 25, 2021

thanks! i love yours too (:

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
22:43 Dec 25, 2021

<3 ty

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshaya ✨
14:27 Jul 31, 2022

BILLLLL How are youuuu

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sapphire 🌼
18:38 Mar 29, 2022

billy 😳 hi~

Reply

Billbug -
20:34 May 08, 2022

HEY SAPH!!!

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
00:37 Jul 23, 2022

HI! im late like usual but thats okay im never online anymore lol, i just remembered that I had a reedsy acc when i got an email from reedsy abt writing or smth (what else would it be about el oh el) if you do reply though, hru? (and I'll see you in like 2 months when I remember this account again!)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Danny -
14:18 Mar 21, 2022

billyyyyyyyyyyyyy hey :)

Reply

Billbug -
20:34 May 08, 2022

dannnnnyyyyyy!!! hi (:

Reply

Danny -
11:19 May 10, 2022

hiiii, how have ya been doing these days? :}

Reply

Billbug -
02:35 May 15, 2022

hey danny <3 i've actually been doing alright, managing to get myself together (finally). i actually have a potential basement story, but i'm still figuring it all out. how've you been doing though? i feel like it has been ages since we last talked and i miss you so much. that's mostly on me though because i had to yeet discord after getting too many creepy people in my dms (':

Reply

Danny -
13:38 May 17, 2022

that's good to hear, glad to see you getting to sort things out <3 ahh that's amazing bill, you'd have to tell me about your basement story sometime. the past week had been a rollercoaster with elections going on and stuff (on the plus side, i found out my pediatrician's husband taught violin, come yeet yourself here and we'll sneaketh our hands on the instrument). ah ikrr definitely been too long, i miss you just as much. don't worry yourself about it, it's a good thing you won't have to worry about those creepos anymore :')

Reply

Billbug -
09:32 May 25, 2022

things seem pretty chaotic, i hope you're doing okay <3 tragically my basement story turned into heartbreak, i guess it just wasn't meant to be (but i have been getting so many tarot reading saying they're coming back?? but i feel like it's giving me false hope so i'm kinda just hanging on). the good thing about this though, is it's giving me motivation to write again, i just need to find the time to do it because i'm just so busy now ('; violin?!?! i guess i'm going to have to teleport to you as soon as i can. i actually found a violin shop...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
18:10 Feb 20, 2022

Heyo. How’s it going?

Reply

Billbug -
00:01 Mar 02, 2022

Hey Wolf! It’s going okay thanks, you?

Reply

TJ Squared
20:53 Mar 02, 2022

heyooooo :D das good, better than bad at least <3 doing alright

Reply

Billbug -
19:58 Mar 19, 2022

glad to hear <3

Reply

TJ Squared
01:22 Mar 25, 2022

<333

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
12:57 Feb 12, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Billbug -
00:01 Mar 02, 2022

hey sienna!

Reply

Unknown User
00:48 Mar 02, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Billbug -
19:58 Mar 19, 2022

i'm doing really good thank you!! i'll definitely check it out (:

Reply

Unknown User
20:46 Mar 19, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Billbug -
20:52 Mar 19, 2022

yess! how've you been?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
21:30 Jan 21, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Billbug -
21:34 Jan 22, 2022

Thank you so much!!

Reply

Unknown User
21:35 Jan 22, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.