0 comments

General

Jacob Moore was a dreamer. He was outside his home looking at the night sky. The sky was cloudless; a perfect opportunity to look at the stars. The stars were beautiful, but his attention was drawn to a thin sliver of light known as the Moon.

The ad read, “Help Wanted. Engineering degree, pilots licence, computer skills required. Must be willing to relocate and work long hours for low pay.” It wasn’t exactly a literary masterpiece, but sufficient for what Jake had in mind. He knew he would probably get someone who was two steps in front of the law or a lawsuit. Jake would accept anyone, male or female, who was capable of learning and absolutely would not give up in a pinch.

He also has a prototype engine on a workbench. That part of his plan had come to fruition. With a propulsion system in place, Jake needed something to use as a spaceship as well as astronauts. He was going to the moon. This is not to be some promotional stunt. He was going to the Moon and stay. Build a permanent colony on our nearest celestial neighbor.

Jake pulled out his bank debit card and entered the information which was requested . The computer thanked him for his patience and processed the transaction. Well, that was that! Now it’s wait and see who or what answers the ad.

Early the next morning came his first response to the ad.

“Hi man, say you need a pilot? I can fly anything with wings.”

“Why aren’t you behind the stick of a fighter?” Jake didn’t like his cocky attitude, but what could you expect from an ad like his.

“Well, I got my ticket pulled a few weeks ago and I need a kinda off the books type of job. If you know what I mean?”

“Sorry, the pilot I hire must be on the right side of the law.” Jake hung up before the kid could answer. He started to turn away when the phone rang again.

“Hello.”

“Hello. I’m calling about your ad for a pilot.”

“Yes, I’ve just started looking for a team and pilot is one position. Do you have other skills? Tell me a little about yourself.”

Alicia Rosenberry was a commercial pilot, who sat a jumbo down in a corn field. Her superiors were less than thrilled with the event and needed a scapegoat. The port outboard engine falling off wasn’t her fault, but Alicia was elected, then got framed for the mishap. That resulted in her termination. The NTSB ruled it a maintenance problem, but that didn’t change the minds of the people who canned her. Alicia had an attitude, but who wouldn’t after being treated that way. Jake figured anyone who could put a jumbo jet down under those conditions and walk away must be a good pilot. Not only did Alicia walk away, but so did two hundred eighty seven passengers. That was never discussed openly though.

“Miss Rosenberry, I’d like to meet you. I can’t make a firm commitment until after we meet.”

“That’s fine, but I’ll need a little help getting down there.”

“I anticipated that need. A round trip ticket will be waiting on you. Just tell me your nearest airport.”

The next contact was by email. Java was the only name given. He described his ability with a computer like a man would describe a woman; anointing her with great respect. A sample code was included with a warning to not run that program. He went on to describe what it could do and gave estimates on how wide spread it could perpetrate its evil magic. He also stated how fed up he was with the system and Government. If it was important work and outside mainstream civilization, he wanted in. He was tired of hacking and wanted something straight, but exciting.

Three days later he was on a plane headed south. Alicia arrived a day earlier. While they were waiting to pick up Java, Jake had time to size up the girl. A baby face gave her an innocent look. The rest of her was all woman though. She described features about a 787 aircraft only an experienced pilot would know and she put it in simple, easy to understand language. It’s the distinction of a person who knows their skills and abilities.

“Why are you doing this? I would think you could get a job with any airline now. After all you were cleared of any pilot error.”

“You didn’t take long getting to the point. OK. I’ll level with you. I found out my boyfriend was a drug dealer. After I got fired, he all but ordered me to fly drugs into the country for him. I refused, but I know he will never leave me alone as long as I am a witness. I guess you have a right to know that much about me. Now, will you tell me about that gadget on your workbench?”

“I hear the plane now, so I’ll wait and explain it to both of you at the same time.” She nodded her head approvingly.

“Does what I just told you change your mind about me?”

“Not in the least. He can’t touch you where we’ll be going. Anyone who can set a jumbo jet down in a corn field without tearing off the landing gear is my kind of pilot. How did you do it?”

“I just landed with the rows instead of across them and I had plenty of room to line up correctly.” That answer satisfied Jake completely. It takes a clear head under stress to think of something like that.

Java was a total shock. The name not only reflected her skills as a programmer and matched her skin color as well.

“Hi. I’m Nicole Cap. You know me as Java.” She held out a hand and gave a strong, firm handshake. No one had much to say on the five minute trip to the house. After she was shown her bed and the other amenities in the house, Jake asked Alicia for some privacy.

“OK. I’ll fix something to eat, but be forewarned. The only guarantee I give is it won’t kill you. I’m a pilot and don’t get much practice cooking.”

The two strangers settled in the living room and began to talk. After many minutes of conversation, one thing was clear. Java was a near genius, but her Caribbean accent and skin color held her back. Hacking was one way for her to get even. She was so good at hiding her tracks, the law never touched her. No criminal record on Nicole Cap existed. She would do nicely!

Between bites of her sandwich, Java asked, “Why set up shop down here in the middle of nowhere? Some would say that it’s pretty country, but all Central American countries are full of bugs and corrupt as hell.”

“That’s the main reason. The middle of nowhere has few laws with even fewer people to enforce them. We’ll be able to work and not get bogged down in bureaucratic red tape.”

“Just what are you planning on doing that makes you concerned about the Government?”

“We are going to build a spaceship and go to the moon. Each trip to the moon will allow us to haul material and other supplies in order to establish a colony.” Both the women showed little expression. They expected a crazy scheme. Before they could say anything, Jake continued.

“You know, living on the Moon will add years to your life, don’t you?” They smiled at the thought.

“There is no doubt; I can get us there, but what are we using as a ship. One more little problem is the time of even one trip plus the restrictions on payload.” Alicia was shaking her head with each statement.

“Would you believe me on face value if I told you that I have solved all those problems?”

“No.”

“Not without some proof.” The two girls were in total agreement.

“Problem number one: Time. Try about 6 hours one way. We will be under constant trust the entire trip.” Jake stood and started for his back room.

“Follow me and I’ll show you the engine that will power our craft.”

Jake pointed out many components and tried to describe what they did and how they operated. That resulted in blank looks and a few silly questions. He decided it was hopeless and gave a watered down version.

“What is electricity?” No one answered.

“It’s the flow of electrons and protons. I decided to not waste the neutrons when I tear apart an atom. I put them to work creating thrust. That arrangement of coils allow for the collection of energy and that step-down transformer makes it usable for any household appliance or spaceship.” He then pointed to a rectangular object. Two sides were copper and the other two sides were a white plastic.

“This is the engine. Everything else provides power to the engine.” He stepped back and let them look.

“Don’t touch anything. Those capacitors are still charged.” Jake realized his mouth was dry from all the talking and went to the kitchen for some water. On the way back he stopped at the doorway to listen.

“We’ll need something bigger than that. It’ll take four of these things to control a craft in space and they will need to be much bigger and more powerful.”

“I’ll write the code to control each engine. That shouldn’t take more than a month.” What she left unsaid was the fact writing all that code, then debugging it could take years. She knew where software was located which was already, not only tested, but well used. The month she stated would be used to alter the code for their specific use.

Alicia asked, “Where can we get a good set of gyros?”

“Let’s ask Jake. He seems to have all the answers.”

“Ladies, I don’t have answers. What I do is create solutions to problems. One solution is hiring people who know their subject. I seem to have found two such people.”

“What are we going to use for a ship? NASA may donate an old capsule, but they are much to small.”

“Let’s save any requests of NASA to some space suits. Hopefully we can con them out of four old suits, but first things first. Alicia, how would you feel trying to fly a shipping container?”

“Sure boss. I can fly anything if you put wings on it and enough thrust to keep it off the ground.”

“No wings, just four pods that extend and retract. The engines will be mounted on gimbals at the end of each pod. A forty foot shipping container is sturdy and has enough interior space for us to live, plus haul a great deal of cargo.” He stopped long enough to take another sip of water.

“She has a nickname, so why not call me Alex? It’s simpler.” When no objections were heard, she continued, “I was thinking that if we modify the front so we can see, we will loose the ability to use that end for anything else.”

Java asked, “Why not just use some cameras to see out?”

“No way! If I got to put that thing down on the moon, I’m want to to see where I’m going!” It was one of those matter-of-fact statements which didn’t come up again. A clear bubble would designate the front of their spaceship. Two seats would be up front. Alex convinced the boss; landing on a strange body would require her full attention. With forty feet sticking out behind her, she would need another pair of eyes and hands to help keep the craft level during a landing cycle. She also mentioned the little fact, one sixth gravity was something new for her.

After what seemed like a hundred assorted phone calls and emails, Jake opened a serious letter. Ron was let go of a position in an aircraft manufacturing facility. The failing economy was taking its tole. All major corporations were downsizing. A structural design engineer was no longer needed so he was terminated. Ron even preformed some hands on work on the new space plane. Well, he modified the flight controls slightly. Technically true. After many replies back and forth, Jake realized here was another lost sole looking for a home. Homeless, but with credentials. An invitation was offered and unlike the girls, Ron funded his own trip down.

Ronald Scott is in his early thirties with a rugged look one would attribute to a cowboy. Worry lines in his face aged him beyond his years. The reason he wanted out of the system was obvious once Jake met him.

“Ron, welcome aboard. Let me introduce the team.” The two girls stood out of politeness, unlike most women. Jake smiled at that gesture. These people must get along with each other for this to be successful.

“Nicole Cap, AKA Java, out computer expert. Alicia Rosenberry, AKA Alex, our pilot. Ladies this is Ronald Scott or Ron until some other handle sticks. He designs things; other wise known as a structural engineer.” There were the usual handshakes and platitudes. Jake went to the refrigerator and took out a bottle; of which, he poured four drinks.

“Here is to our success and to our safety.” The last word seemed to sober them as they raised their glasses.

Ron asked, “Sir, what do I call you? Everyone else has a nickname or handle?” Before Jake could answer, his chief pilot gave him a handle.

“Boss seems appropriate. What do you say? Does Boss work for you?”

“I guess so; at least until a better handle sticks.” Jake had anticipated at least three people would need beds, so he had purchased single beds for his new team. Two men in one bedroom and the two ladies in another.

“I need to run to town to check my mail and buy some supplies. It will give you an opportunity to get to know each other while I’m gone.”

Three replies were in his mailbox. It seems used shipping containers were not in big demand these days. Eager to find someone who was interested in purchasing one, those quotes came quickly. 

“Here are three quotes for used shipping containers. Will one make a suitable ship for us.” Jake was looking at Ron, so he took over the meeting.

“The structure of the container is fine, but we will need much more than a steel box.” He paused for effect.

“Jake, radiation is one huge obstacle. How do you plan to shield us?”

“Since we will have power to spare, I’d like to develop an electromagnetic shield. It will require us to make the box a double cavity, then we can charge the entire outer surface.”

“Can you design such a shield?” 

“Ron, I’m loaded with ideas, but I need you to tell me if they are feasible or not.”

Alex said, “Let’s copy the same system used on a big plane to purify our air. They have hundreds of people breathing air for up to six hours at a time and it never gets stale.”

Jake liked these people already. They were not afraid to speak up and share their thoughts.

Java asked, “How will we reclaim the water from the air.” Ron almost laughed out loud.

“Have you ever seem the frost collect on a refrigerator. One problem in space is not freezing, but becoming over heated. Space does not dissipate heat very well. With all our equipment generating heat, we just build ourselves a AC system; it’s that simple.”

“Boss, Java and I don’t have any money and I probably shouldn’t ask, but where will the money come from to finance this scheme.”

“I recently received an inheritance from a person whom I once did a favor for. I saved his life and I guess he never forgot that. Don’t worry about the money.”

Jake poured him another drink and went outside. Java followed him out.

“What are you looking at?”

“The stars; aren’t they beautiful? No one ever looks at them now.” He put an arm around her waist and turned her to face a first quarter Moon. Using his other arm, he pointed.

“But that’s our destination.”

July 18, 2020 10:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.