0 comments

Holiday Adventure Creative Nonfiction

It was Christmas Eve and everyone in the village got really busy including Shasha's family.

Her mom was busy cooking for their food, Her dad was busy setting up the Christmas tree and other decorations. While his little brother was busy putting all the gifts beneath the Christmas tree. And shasha was assigned to decorate their table and cleaning the house. She also help her mom when she needs something.

"What do y'all think?" Dad asked us while still hanging on his ladders, he slowly went down and look up the ceiling to see what his decorations turn out.

"Dad, it was wonderful" I told him, grinning. My little brother jump out of joy and yelling merry Christmas. I just chuckled by his reaction.

"Shasha!" Mom suddenly called. I immediately went off to the kitchen.

"Yes mom?" 

"Please put this pasta sauce in the table already, and also prepare the plates and utensils, get many as possible, cause probably your uncle might spend their Christmas here" she requested. I did not answer rather I start to carry the pasta sauce out of the kitchen and immediately went to our stock room, to look for extra plates and utensils.

Mom also requested me to wash it all, so I did. And after that I came back to the living room to check my phone. 

It was still early but I already got messages from my friends. So I replied to them one by one.

Social media was already full of articles, news and posts about christmas and everyone was sharing it.

Later on in mid 10 pm my uncle came with his family. Our house starts to surrounded by noise since he has a lot of kids. 

Dad and uncle were busy talking and also my mom and my auntie and the kids got along really well.

I was to late to realized about uncle's child who has the same age with me. I approached her and she seem a bit shock at my sudden presence.

"I guess your my cousin but I only saw you today" I initiate the conversation.

"Yeah" she smiled awkwardly and the way she acts around me got me an idea.

"You're an introvert?" I bluntly asked. She just nod. I can feel that she's uncomfortable having me around so..

"I'm shasha by the way, nice to meet you" I stood up "I'll just go to the kitchen cause mom might need help, feel at home" she just shyly smiled.

"Merry Christmas everyone!!!" We all yelled when the clock strikes to 12

"AHHHH!!!" 

our joyful greetings are followed by sudden loud gasps when our lights suddenly turn off. Everyone's literally panicking to find a light. I immediately opened my phone's flashlight and everyone follows.

"What happened?" Mom asked worriedly.

"I'll just check the electric meter" dad responded and went outside, uncle followed him as well.

Mom also went to the dining area panicking to check the all the foods.

While all their kids here was left in the living room with me. My little brother suddenly cuddles himself on my leg, feeling scared. I sat down to level him and pat his head "don't be scared" I told him, the other kids suddenly went to me as well. 

"I got a call from the guards, our main circuit was broken and it won't be fixed until tomorrow" dad came back announcing. Everyone was sad, of course its christmas today. 

We're all still gathered in the living room and surrounded by darkness when an idea suddenly comes into my mind.

"Uhm guys I have an Idea" I told them in the middle of silence. Everyone look at me.

"Why don't we try to camp outside? And only a bonfire will serve as our light?" I suggested, smiling.

" I love it!" My introvert cousin, responded. I was shock to hear her voice but I hid through smiling and never dared to look at her, so it won't feel her any embarrassment. 

"Great, let's do it" uncle follows. And everyone also agreed. We immediately moved to set up our house camping idea. 

Everyone was so busy setting up everything in the backyard to make our Christmas still enjoying and memorable.

I was busy taking care of the foods when my cousin approach me.

"Do you need any help?" She asked. I face her and she smiled at me.

"Not really, I was just checking the food to see if there's might an insect coming at it" I told her casually.

"Let me help you then, by the way I'm Celine" She said smiling. I feel fluttered for a moment that she was talking with me because as I've heard from my uncle she barely talk to anyone.

And to my surprise, she was really talkative, I was amazed, she told me everything about her and I was just here listening for the whole time. I did not really expect that.

"And about my course, I'm planning to take political science. I'm weird right but I really want to get rid of being introvert as it will only lead me to nowhere" she said.

"I guess so too, and start it with me, I hope this won't give you anxiety but I was really shock that you came to me and talking. Well I really want to meddle with you but I don't want you to feel like I am invading your space" I told her honestly. She stayed quiet and regret slowly caught up with me. I know I shouldn't have said that.

"I'm sorr-" I was about to apologize and take back what I've said but she cut me off.

"No, it's okay.. I just don't believe it too. I did it!" She happily exclaimed.

"Well then, I'm proud of you!" I also said.

"So I guess, we're friends now -- no a cousin and a friend, right?" 

"Yes, that's awesome" I smiled.

"Let's go everyone our tent was already fixed just choose your designated tent" mom yelled. 

"Can we share the same tent?" my cousin whispered to me asking.

"Oh! Sure" 

We started our celebration, despite of running out of electricity. My uncle played a loud music in his Bluetooth speaker, it was small but it's loud enough.

We also played different games and our backyard filled with laughter and yelling. Our whole village started to get noisy as probably they got an idea from us. It was all pure fun.

When we felt tired and hungry we started eating. Dad used his spare woods to start out fire for grilling since we can't use our electric grill.

"Merry Christmas" my cousin went up to me with food in her both hands, handing me the other. Oh it was cake.

"Thank you" I told her.

"Uhmm I.." she started, she probably still shy but I encourage her to continue. "I.. actually have a gift for you" she told me. I was shock and at the same time I felt bad cause i don't have anything for her. 

"Really?" I excitedly exclaimed.

She handed me a small box and I happily accept it. 

"I know you ever since and I always asked papa about you and there I've know all your wants, that's why papa convince me to come here instead of my Lola" she explained.

"Thank you, I appreciate it" I said and open a box, it was a necklace with a butterfly pendant. I really love it.

"I'm sorry, I don't have something for you" I show an apologetic smile. I really feel bad.

"It's okay! It's okay! No big deal. I hope you like my gift"

"I really do!!" I keep staring at it, mesmerizing its beauty, I even wear it in front of her. I was full of smile.

We are asked to take a family pictures so I set up my tripod in front and we go to our each places.

I set up the timer and ran as fast as I can into my place. 

"Everyone say merry Christmas" I yelled. 

"Merry Christmas!" We all yelled and all of the sudden the lights are back.

I look at our pictures and smiling. And since we're using my phone. I immediately went to my Instagram and post it with a caption.

𝑨 𝒚𝒆𝒂𝒓 𝒕𝒐 𝒓𝒆𝒎𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓

September 09, 2020 11:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.