Lost at the Texas Carnival

Submitted into Contest #93 in response to: Write a story about a character who gets lost at a carnival or festival.... view prompt

0 comments

Horror Thriller Friendship

In a small town named Buffalo, Texas, everyone has been expecting this carnival to get in town, and now it’s definitely here. Yes, the old Texas carnival. The Texas carnival is where individuals can discover wonderful people, delicious bbq, and the toughest games to receive rewards. The carnival starts Saturday, many individuals could be there. Wonder what the carnivals have in store for individuals. You don’t even know the story. Texas carnival is going to have a real shocker. So, let’s turn to the history of a guy called Steve who gotten lost at the Texas carnival.

Steve woke up on a clear Friday morning. Bumped on the TV, what’s the broadcast chatting about today. While Steve was eating his breakfast, he started listening to the report; Steve overheard that the carnival was coming to Texas. Steve was so excited. They loved traveling to the carnival since I was just a little boy. Thinking in the past, remembering when the family and he went to the carnival. We had so much fun at the carnival, Steve said.

Steve is very young, a 22-year-old that lives in Buffalo, TX, with a lot of associates. Realized his buddies liked to have fun, So Steve called 3 of the tight friends he has. So Steve called the first friend. Ring, Ring!! Hello, who’s this? Steve. O, what’s up Steve? Long night? Yes, you already know. David, did you watch the broadcast? David replied, No. Steve replied, Seeing if you wanted to go to the Texas carnival? Sure, why not? Hold on David replied, Will there be food and beer right? Yes. Great!! Did you talk to the guys? No, Steve replied, but I’m continuing to call now. David said, When’s the carnival? Saturday and they open up at 7 pm and close and 11 pm. So be ready. David replied I will. Just be ready at 7. Alright, alright, David replied. Steve replied I will continue to call the guys and get their answer and call you back. Okay, bye!!

Just a few minutes later, Steve grabbed his phone to call the other guys. By the way, their names are Nick and Kevin. I have known them since middle school. Steve said to himself, I'm just gone call them on three-way. That would be easier. Steve picked up the phone and called Nick first then Kevin. What's up, guys? Hey, Steve how's it's going? Everythings good but I had a question?. Lay it on us they replied. The Texas carnival is coming and I wanted to know would you like to invite you to come? And by the way, David will be there too. They both replied great we're in. This is going to be so much fun said Nick, just like old times. Okay, when do we have to be ready? Saturday at 7 pm. I will be picking everyone up in my car around 6:30 pm. That's great Kevin said and they hung up the phone.

He decided to get the dishes out the way before he called David back and let him know what the other guys had said, Before I can get done here goes David calling me now. I was just about to call you, Steve replied. What did the guys say when you asked them about the carnival? They said that they were in and I told them that I would be picking everyone up. Okay, that's great, now it's time to have fun and turn up. I guess so Steve replied. Talk to you tomorrow. David hung up the phone with so much excitement in his voice, bringing back old memories.

Steve went about his day and handled all he had to do and now it's time to get some rest for the big carnival tomorrow. He fell asleep so excited that he barely get some sleep. Rolled over to the other side of the bed next to the window with the morning sun shining right in his face. He knows that he had some things to do today before he had to go and get his friends. Steve got and did what he does and headed out the door. Time went past and it was time to get ready for the carnival. The next thing Steve knew, his clock said 6:15 pm and he didn't want to be late. Let me make sure that I have everything before I walk out the door. Steve starting thinking, got my keys, wallet, and jacket. That's everything Steve said.

Headed to the door, I forgot my phone, dummy!. Steve turned back and grabbed his phone on the table in the kitchen. Now that's everything Steve said. Steve got in the car and put the key in the ignition. Let me go and get David since he is the one that stays closer to me. About 10 minutes later Steve arrived at David's house but has Steve waiting another 3 minutes because of his hair. David finally came out and now we can head to get the others. How far do the guys stay? About a 25-minute drive from here, Steve replied. That's not long David said. They talked and talked until they saw they were there already. Time fly pass when you don't pay attention to it? said, David. That's right Steve replied.

Nick and Kevin came walking out of the house ready to go. They both hope in the car and said you ready to go? We sure are David replied. Headed back to the freeway to go to the carnival. We are going to be lit at the carnival yelled Kevin. I second that said, David. Those two are the most lit out of the four. As we were talking again, GPS said that we were about 6 minutes away from the carnival and everybody in the car got really lit with the music playing loud through the speakers. Not too long after they pulled at the carnival and there were a lot of people there this year.

Wow man, you did tell me that there was going to be a lot of hot girls here at this carnival, Kevin said. I would have come to you to get there fast if I knew that David replied. And everyone in the car laughed. They got out to go and buy their tickets to get in but didn't know that that's would be the last ticket that they buy. Everyone walks in the carnival and it's like a party around here. Nick yelled out to everyone, time to get lit and everyone screamed loudly. As the four friends were having fun, they didn't even know what was about to happen next.

Steve looks at his clock and he sees that it's almost 10:30 pm and the carnival is about to shut down. But something will change when Steve stills his drunk friends that he has to go to the bathroom. They acted like they heard him, but when it got close to shutting down Steve didn't return from the bathroom. They all went to all of the restrooms and Steve wasn't in anyone of them. Now the question was, What happened to Steve? Did they really want to know the answer to that question? They didn't have any choice but to try and find Steve around this big carnival. Even though the carnival was closing, there was still a lot of people around, Nick started to run up to security and ask have they seen their friend and gave a description and they all said no.

Steve's friends check every place at the carnival but couldn't find steve. They didn't know what to do, so they thought of one place that people don't like to go to and that's the cornfields. People say there's something in the cornfields said Kevin but they did live to tell what they saw. Well, said David, we have no other choice but to go check. As everyone clear out, David, Nick, and Kevin made their way to the cornfield. They started to yell out Steve's name, but no answer. It was quiet and scary like a horror movie you would watch on the TV. Let's go this way said, Nick. How do you know to go that way said David, the footprints dummy, replied Nick.

They searched and searched until Kevin said what I found something. What is it replied Kevin? It's Steves shoe. I know Steve has to be somewhere close this way. As the friends stay on their journey, they ran into something that they didn't want to see. What the F is that David said. Shhhhh, you gone get us seen by them replied Nick. They couldn't believe what they had seen. Fly creatures and walking creatures, what's next the alien giant joked, Kevin. Shhhhh replied Nick. These were some real big monsters but we had to find out a way to save their friend.

They put their heads together and think what was their weakness is. Come to find out that when I was watching them they don't like light said, David. So if we can find us some light we will be able to save Steve from these monsters. David replied, It just might work. So they went to look for some lights and ran into a barn that had lots of light in it. They took the lights and ran off. What is the plan? How are we supposed to get him out? I have a plan said, Nick. Nick told them the plan and they ran to get in position.

Nick runs first with his lights to bring a big distraction and David would come from the other side. While Kevin will run down the middle and untie Steve from the tree. They all counted down five seconds and did what they had to do. They were surprised that it worked and they got their friend back. Didn't know that that didn't kill them and now they're running for their lives, The monsters are gaining on them. But as long as they got the light on them they are safe.

Once they made it to the car, they thought they were safe until the monster decided to come out of the cornfield. But Kevin came up with a great idea. What if we get all the light and put them all together to make it brighter, that should kill them. That should work Steve said. So they went and found all the lights that they can get their hands on. They worked hard and got it done before the monsters got there. When the monsters got there, they turned on all the lights and the lights started to melt them.

I think their all died know said Nick, I just want to make sure replied David. I am so glad to have friends like you to come and find me. I thought I was dead said, Steve. What are friends for replied Kevin? After all that happened, they went home and never thought about it again. But one thing I do know is that everyone was safe. And everyone lived in this story.

May 10, 2021 09:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.