WB: The Return of the Enemy (part 2)

Written in response to: Write about somebody who likes to work in silence.... view prompt

23 comments

Contemporary Fiction

There once was a dragon who loved stargazing.

Ooh, this could be going somewhere!

His charcoal skin blended in with the nightly shadows perfectly.

What’s this, am I finally getting inspired to write a story…?

He swooped and he…

Oh no… come back precious story idea!

HA! You really thought you could escape the clutches of your worst enemy?

Noooooooo…I almost had it, almost!

Not while I’m around, foolish writer! Did you miss me?

Writer’s Block, I am so sick and tired of you messing up my plans!

Ah, but do you see, it brings me much pleasure to take up most of your computer storage!

You mean all those empty documents that all start with ‘untitled document’?

Those are the ones! Isn’t it unfortunate that those very documents could have been an actual story? What a shame. 

Ugh. When will you leave me alone?!

Never, dear writer, never!

Look, I’ve already written numerous stories about you, WB, isn’t that enough?

It’s never enough child, never! Give me the spotlight, I shall rule the world!

I’ve written about you subtly in ‘Uninspired’. 

Ah yes, that ‘inner monologue’. 

I even personifed you straighforwardly in ‘WB: Every Writer’s Bestest Frenemy.’

Make me human again!

No way, WB. Not this time. It can stay a simple conversation for now.

Aw, but I loved torturing you and forcing you to think your writing is the opposite of amazing!

Nope. Not gonna happen again. I won’t fall into your trap. Leave me alone!

Fine. I shall go sit in the corner and pout until you write something again.

Good. Go do that.

Actually…

An interview with WB doesn’t sound that bad…

You called? I’m here. Do whatever gives me more popularity!

Fine. I’ll do it. Not for your sake, but for the sake of the viewers. Ready?

Hit me with your best shot!

First off, why do you like to torment people so much?

Easy! It’s fun clutching innocent authors out of Inspiration Lane. I love seeing people stare at blank documents and curse me for my very existence!

Sure, sure. Next, how long will you keep up this torment on us writers?

Well, simply enough, I like watching them suffer. I may keep them in my grasp for months, and some worst cases have gone on for years! Some have never typed a word again because of me!

Wow. I sure hope that our viewers find some inspiration soon. Next question. Is there any possible chance of escape from your malicious hold on their souls?

Coming from me, being the enemy and all, I’ll say no. There is NO escape! Mwahahaha!

Thank you, Writer’s Block. I think we’ve all heard enough from you now *shoves out of room*

Now, onto the serious stuff. 

For those of you concerned about falling into or coming out of Writer’s Block’s clutches, here are some confidential tips I find very resourceful. 

  1. Don’t let negativity get the best of you. It won’t do any good to shame your writing. Plus, you can always learn from the past. 
  2. Let the past remain in the past. Don’t go back and try to re-do an older story. You’ll just cringe and fall back into WB’s hold, trust me. If anything, try to create something new or a spin-off of an older story. 
  3. There is still hope. There are sites and people out there to help you improve your writing (like the old Reedsy, for example). If you want to get better, just ask around. 

I may not be a professional, but Writer’s Block is often difficult. No, that is not a compliment, WB. I mean that as writers, we try to be better in the end, and that’s what matters. Who knows, maybe writing your own story about Writer’s Block may free up the bonds and tension for you. I sure hoped that this story helped you in some way.

Happy writing!



April 20, 2022 02:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

23 comments

Philia S
14:17 May 29, 2022

Hope you're well. <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
11:22 May 22, 2022

ARE YOU BACK!!!!!!???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
18:20 May 10, 2022

Also, quick question, if I ask the following, what would be your answer after CaLcUlAtIoNs????? (detailed explanations are appreciated) Give me the answers for these: 1) 4 into 2 2) 4 times 2 3) 4 multiplied with 2 4) 4 two's are?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philia S
18:09 May 05, 2022

I hope you'll be back soon, stronger and better than ever. Praying for you. <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
17:06 Apr 22, 2022

The Dream DJ Podcast, now available!!! Join the community of Dream DJ listeners now!!! https://anchor.fm/the-dream-dj/episodes/The-Dream-DJ-Podcast---Trailer-e1hhb8f

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
08:56 Apr 20, 2022

So Flow (I am so happy to be calling you that again) This is pretty Coolio. I mean, WB is back!!! I hate him, personally, but here, he seems fun. Also, you know what, maybe WB is necessary....you know I have written (in my opinion) better stories after my WB. So, um, maybe you could write that as a POV here. Or maybe I could write it...as a spin-off??? Anyways....how have you been doing? How was your move? I hope you don't miss your pet too much....it must have been very hard.

Reply

Show 0 replies
22:40 Jun 25, 2022

WB is back again I see XD The interview was funny and entertaining! As for the advice, #2 personally stuck with me since I’m always going back to cringe at my old stories lol Loved this, going over to part 3 :DD

Reply

Show 0 replies

Please check my bio, I have an urgent prayer request.

Reply

Show 0 replies
16:33 Jun 06, 2022

Hey, you're back! How have you been?

Reply

Show 0 replies

How's your move going?

Reply

Show 0 replies

Missing you and praying for you. <3 Let me know when you come back on.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Missing you, packmate. <3

Reply

Show 0 replies

Writer's Block strikes again! But as long as they're here, you might as well interview them . . . Fun story, great for an Oh-I-understand-that laugh!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Hey Wolf, welcome back! I wrote another story.

Reply

Show 0 replies

WB IS KILLING ME BUT THIS IS HELPING

Reply

Show 0 replies
Danny -
10:38 Apr 20, 2022

I was just thinking of you, literally right this minute, sooo.. i thought the best course of action was to check my activity feed then *bam* this story was the first one to show up on top. Happy to see you writing again, wolfi :) I really liked the lil skit you have here with your *now*recurring character, WB. This should be a part of a writers block series hehehe ;> p.s. i found something perfect for us, check out john steinbeck

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
21:36 May 31, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
12:44 May 19, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
22:48 May 04, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
04:57 Apr 29, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.