For the Good of All (the sequel to "Two Sides of the Street")

Submitted into Contest #85 in response to: Write about someone fighting to keep their city neighborhood the same.... view prompt

79 comments

Contemporary Fiction Speculative

The Aldermen's meeting room consisted of a ring of desks about ten feet from a central desk. The ring of desks was for the Aldermen, while the central desk was for the town mayor. Every desk was occupied. On the mayor's desk were a gavel resting sideways on a small wooden plate and a telephone.


It had not been a quiet evening of discussion, to say the very least. Argumentative would have been more accurate.


“You said that you would enforce this rule!” one of the Aldermen shouted.


“A rule is not a law,” the mayor said as calmly as he could. “During my time as mayor, I've done what I could to keep those who aren't adults yet from congregating. Even if you demanded it, I couldn't send the bobbies to every single bloody house in town and you know it. That's like putting up a neon sign, saying that none of us can be trusted. The inter-denominational fighting is thankfully nothing more than a memory for some of us old enough to remember it. The children of today thankfully never experienced any of it. Don't they deserve a chance to evolve from the past rather than just repeat it over and over again? Saying that it's for the good of all isn't an answer.” The mayor pointed to a man who stood up just then. “Yes, Gareth?”


“I know I don't speak for everyone here,” Gareth said calmly. “But I speak for myself and my brother – who couldn't be here – and for everyone who frequents our pub. There is no danger in letting both denominations mingle in public. Our pub is proof of it.”


“You're just one of those whiny, weasely –” one of the elder Aldermen started to say.


The mayor slammed the gavel hard on the small wooden plate. “You are out of order, sir! It is Gareth's turn to speak. When he is finished, you are welcome to take your turn. Is that understood?”


The elder Alderman made a face and shrugged, but said nothing.


“Thank you,” the mayor said. “Do you wish to continue, Gareth?”


Gareth nodded. “I have no desire to see any return to the years of violence that nearly tore apart both Ireland and Northern Ireland. My brother and I both know about the destructive force of that violence. Our parents were killed when a bomb exploded in the train they were traveling on from Dublin back to Belfast.”


The elder Alderman snorted. “An I.R.A. bomb, I bet.”


Another slam of the gavel by the mayor. “Do you wish to be ejected from this meeting, sir?” the mayor asked him.


“I'll do better than that,” the elder Alderman said and stood up. “I'll eject myself from this stupid, useless farce. The Orangemen don't care to be silenced like this. If you're smart, the rest of you would follow me out.” He left his desk and walked out of the meeting room without looking back.


“Is there anyone else that wishes to do the same?” the mayor asked the rest of the Aldermen.


Some nodded, stood up, and left. The rest stayed seated.


“Now, then,” the mayor said, trying to calm down. “I believe that it's still your turn, Gareth. And then anyone else who wishes to speak will be permitted to do so.”


No one interrupted this time.


Gareth sighed. “I've heard my share of arguments at our pub, but they're usually much more civil. Even when you can hear them from twenty feet away. Which is no mean feat in a pub as noisy as ours can be.”


The mayor smiled and nodded. “I've been there on some of those noisy nights.”


“Words are permitted but not weapons,” Gareth went on. “So far, we've had no trouble with that policy. But lately, things have changed. Not always overtly. Even the police aren't as tolerant as they once were. Possibly since the hiring of the new chief constable. My brother and I did argue against his hiring, but we were outvoted at the time. Harold Mencken was never one to keep his opinions to himself. Neither in London's East End nor here in our town. To say that he struts is putting it mildly.”


“I've seen him do it,” another Alderman said. “I don't know who he thinks he's trying to impress.”


“He should've gone into politics,” grumbled another Alderman. “His ego belongs in the House of Commons. It doesn't belong here.”


Rather than fuss about the interruptions, the mayor glanced from one Alderman to the other. “And how do you propose we deal with the fact that we're stuck with him for the foreseeable future?”


“Fire the stupid bugger,” the second Alderman said. “Send him back where he came from.”


“If only it were that easy,” the mayor said. “Because if it were, I would've happily gotten rid of him long before now.”


“Either you can do something and refuse to, or you can't do anything,” the second Alderman said. “Which is it?”


“We could take a vote of no-confidence,” the first Alderman suggested.


“What good would that do?” the second Alderman demanded. “That's like slapping him on the wrist. He'll just keep doing what he's doing. Bloody Bantam rooster doesn't belong in our town. If I could, I'd kick him in the knickers and send him on his way.”


The mayor sighed. “We seem to have a plethora of suggestions, but no solutions.”


“Can't we complain to anyone?” another Alderman asked. “After all, how did the problem get solved the last time?”


One of the elder Aldermen who stayed said, “By the idiot getting shot in the back. The bloody fool thought he could do what he wanted in our town. Let's just say we disagreed with him.”


“Well, I'm sorry but I don't think we can get rid of Mr. Mencken in the same manner,” the mayor told him. “Much as I wish we could.”


The telephone chose that moment to interrupt.


The mayor looked at it, then sighed and picked it up. “Mayor Kirkwood here.” He listened, nodded once or twice. “Keep them there. I'll try to be there in about fifteen or twenty minutes, at most.” He listened again. “I guess we both have our hands full, then. See you soon.” He hung up the phone. “That was someone calling from the police station. Mencken is there and demanding my presence.” Demanding was putting it mildly. Howling with rage and impatience would've been more accurate.


“Need anyone at your back?” the elderly Alderman asked. “I wouldn't trust that bugger any further than I could throw him. Which, at this point, wouldn't be more than a few feet.”


“If it isn't any trouble?” the mayor asked.


The elderly Alderman smiled. “No trouble at all, sir.”


The mayor looked at the Aldermen. “If there are no protests, I move that we continue this meeting tomorrow at noon.”


“I second it,” the elderly Alderman said a moment later.


“I third it,” Gareth said.


“Anyone else?” the mayor asked. Everyone else shook their heads. “Then it is moved that this meeting continues here tomorrow. Same time, same place.” He banged to gavel to signal the end of the meeting.


Everyone but the mayor and elderly Alderman departed.


“You really don't have to, Terrence,” the mayor told him.


“I know, sir,” the latter said. “I've been in this town since I was a little tyke, sir. My parents came from here, as did their parents. My grandfather was one of the workmen who helped construct the Titanic in Belfast. I've seen the booms, the busts, and everything in between. Instinct tells me that you might need me at your side at the police station. There's no telling what the chief constable might do if you went there alone. Probably something either foolish or stupid.”


“Probably,” the mayor said. “All right. But no weapons. I don't want to give Mencken any chance to claim that he's the victim.”


“Understood,” the elderly Alderman said. “And if all goes well, we can go get a pint or two at the pub afterward.”


“As long as I can treat you,” the mayor said.


“It's your nickel,” the elderly Alderman said.


“So it is,” the mayor said. “So it is.”


----------


The chief constable sat on the edge of his desk, facing Niamh and Devon. “You two bairns are old enough to know the rules about line-crossing. What made you think you could break them with impunity?” He shook his head. “I've spoken with the headmaster at each of your secondary schools. They're of the opinion that I don't really need to involve the police in this.”


“And I gather you disagreed, Harold?” Niamh's father asked calmly.


Mencken frowned at him. “Things have been far too lax in this town before I was hired. Rules bent in all sorts of directions. You'd think we were in bloody America instead of Northern Ireland.”


“Punishing our son and their daughter isn't going to fix those problems,” Devon's father said.


“Probably not, but maybe it will send out a message that this sort of misbehavior will not be tolerated any longer,” the chief constable said. “Or do you want the children in this town to end up like the ones in America?”


“Or like the ones who fought in the 1970s and 1980s, shooting and bombing at will?” Devon's father asked. “My brother Niall was involved in that and not one of you bleeding hearts ever put a stop to it. He killed Eoin's uncle. But did he get incarcerated? Of course not. Just a pointless slap on the wrist. And you're blaming us for bad management of our children?”


“I'm warning you, Padraig,” Mencken said, pointing a stiff forefinger at him. “You're not in charge of this town, much less its police force. I could have you arrested.”


“For what? Insubordination?” Devon's father asked, mildly surprised. “I don't work for you. Is that what you're stooping to, Harold? Just throwing people into gaol when they disagree with you and your supporters?”


Mencken was about to respond when the mayor arrived, along with the elderly Alderman. “Kirkwood. Terrence. I guess I shouldn't be surprised to see you both together.”


“We aren't dating, if that is what you're trying to insinuate,” the mayor said.


“Not yet, you pair of pansies,” Mencken said. “Someone should've crowned you both as queens a long time ago.”


Terrence's eyes narrowed at the chief constable, but he kept quiet for the time being.


“There's no need for that kind of language here, Harold,” the mayor said.


“This is my territory, not yours,” Mencken told him. “What I say here, goes. If you don't approve, you know where the exit is. After all, weren't you the one who agreed with my employment here?”


“I was out-voted, if that's what you mean,” the mayor said. “Now to get back to topic: What were you discussing when I interrupted the proceedings?”


“Line-crossing,” Mencken said. “And how to punish those who willy-nilly break rules they know about. Don't give me any guff. They knew and they broke them anyway.”


“Are you insisting that we ground them?” Niamh's mother asked. “If so, shouldn't that be left up to the parents, not the local police?”


“Mum!” Niamh protested.


Her mother nudged her. “I'm sorry, but he might have a point. Grounding might be better for you both than just letting it slide.”


Mencken smiled approvingly. “That sounds better already. Now see? That didn't take much, did it?”


“Just the application of some undue pressure,” Niamh's father pointed out. “From someone who has never had any children. Or even been married, for that matter.”


Mencken narrowed his eyes at Niamh's father. “That has no bearing on this.”


“Doesn't it?” the latter asked. “How often have you punished the bairns in London's East End? Taken it on yourself to do your worst to them, often without even notifying their parents.”


“You ever been in the East End?” Mencken asked him.


“My accent may have changed over the years, but my memories haven't,” Niamh's father replied. His accent changed and he didn't sound anymore like the father she'd grown up with. He sounded more like Eliza from “My Fair Lady”. “I grew up there and with far more to fear than your bloody ego. You should try walking the streets there without your band of thugs at your back. You probably wouldn't last half an hour. We'd have you down on the ground before you knew it. You'd be crying and screaming bloody murder at us, and you know it.”


“Eoin,” Niamh's mother said, sensing that her husband's temper would boil over even more than it already had.


“I don't have to listen to this strutting bastard spewing his hate and ignorance in my face,” Niamh's father said and turned to leave.


One of the officers blocked his way, shaking his head.


“Surely you'll let him leave, Harold,” the mayor said. “After all, all he's done is told the truth. You can stand to hear the truth, can't you?”


Mencken swore under his breath. “Fine. Let him go. Anyone else care to join him?”


Niamh's mother nodded and followed his husband out of the chief constable's office.


“Now that we've gotten the idiocy out of the way, perhaps we can get down to the real core of the issue,” Mencken said. “We have a pair of adolescents who care nothing about line-crossing, much less mingling with those on the other side of the street. The rules are strict about it. But they broke those rules.”


“As Niamh's mother suggested, why not just ground them and get it over with?” Devon's mother asked. “Would that appease you? Or would you demand that more be done to them?”


“Not just grounding, but absolutely no communication between them,” Mencken said.


“Does that include email?” the mayor asked.


“Especially not via email,” Mencken said. “Are we in agreement, then?”


“And you'll leave them alone for the duration of their grounding?” the mayor asked.


“Yes,” Mencken said.


“Promise?” the mayor asked.


Mencken fumed but nodded. “Fine. I promise. Now get out of here before I change my mind.”


---------


Niamh lay face-down on her bed, her face resting on her crossed arms, and trying not to cry.


Her mother sat next to her. “I'm sorry, dear, but if I disagreed about anything else the chief constable said today, he was right about your breaking the underage mingling rule.”


“You let me,” Niamh said. “I asked and you said I could.”


“That was at the pub,” her mother said. “Why didn't you tell me that you'd not only met him in the park after school but also sent him an online message at that poetry website?”


“And if I had,” Niamh said, “would that have changed anything?”


“Maybe, maybe not,” her mother said. “Something you have to do something for the good of all, rather than having special exceptions for specific people. If you keep allowing some to break the rules, then the rest will ask why they can't break them as well. You have to draw the line somewhere.”


“Even if it's down the middle of the street,” Niamh said.


“If it's any comfort, imagine what it's like for Devon at his house,” her mother said. “His parents weren't exactly pleased to hear what he'd done with you.”


Niamh looked up at her mother. “How did you know that?”


“I could tell when we were in Mencken's office,” the latter said. “Also, I talked with Devon's mother afterward.”


“Is there any way I could send a message to him?” Niamh asked.


Her mother shook her head. “That was part of the agreement about grounding you both.”


Niamh's eyes lit up. “We can't … but you could.”


“Dearie,” her mother said. “You've bent the rules. Haven't you done enough harm as it is?”


“He didn't say the parents couldn't communicate with each other,” Niamh went on. “Only that Devon and I couldn't. Please say you'll send him a message from me. Please?”


Her mother sighed. “Lord, but you're stubborn.”


“Just like Dad?” Niamh asked with a grin.


Her mother made a face. “All right. If it isn't a long message. A page at the most.”


“And I can say anything I want to?” Niamh asked, hopefully.


“Within reason,” her mother said, then shook her head. “From the sounds of you, one would think you two had done more than just talk. You did only just talk, right?”


Niamh nodded. “And drank some Coca-Cola at the pub. With no rum in it.”


“I'll call Deidre and ask if we could talk for a bit,” her mother said. “I can't guarantee that she'll agree to give your message to Devon. All I can do is ask if she's willing to.”


“Good enough for me,” Niamh said. “I'll have the message ready in a few minutes.”


“And I'll give you some privacy in which to write it,” her mother said. “Do be careful, Niamh. Mencken isn't anyone to play games with. He isn't like us or Devon's parents. If anything, he has much more in common with Devon's Uncle Niall.”


“Warning taken,” Niamh said. “Thanks, Mum. I owe you one.”


“Indeed you do,” her mother said and left Niamh's bedroom, shutting the door behind her.


Devon –


I hope this message reaches you. I asked my mother to give it to your mother. If your parents permit it, look for a poem from me at the poetry website.


Niamh

March 17, 2021 02:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

79 comments

Valerie June
18:20 Mar 18, 2021

You've done it again. This story flows so nicely and the dialogue was on point. I was able to catch the slang, and I thought that it was just the right amount of it. The slang added a nice stylish touch to make the dialogue sound even more authentic. Natural dialogue is always pretty hard for me to do and I'm always trying to learn pointers from other writers like you. I've also noticed that Devon's rebellious spirit is rubbing off onto Niamh. Whether this is a good or bad thing, I guess I'll have to find out n the next part. I totally agre...

Reply

Philip Clayberg
19:29 Mar 18, 2021

If only each sequel was easier to write and edit than the original story was. I'm glad you like it so much. Deidra (I think that's the correct name) even thought it was good enough to use as a script for a mini-series on PBS or Netflix. No one's ever said that to me before. I'm truly humbled and it makes the editing time and effort definitely worthwhile. I'm trying to keep the idioms/slang authentic, but it's not easy for an American to write like someone from Ireland and/or Northern Ireland. Some terms I've heard before (in British bo...

Reply

Valerie June
21:06 Mar 18, 2021

It's so annoying when you ask people to read your story, (especially if you don't ask them for a favor that often) and all they do is like it without commenting. I also made the connection between the names Deidre and Deidra, that was quite the coincidence or was it? I'm so glad that you're thinking about using that long paragraph as part of the idea for the next part. (When I begin writing (more like typing) a short story, I brainstorm a couple of ideas, (which can take minutes, hours, or days) then I sit down at my desk, open up a google d...

Reply

Philip Clayberg
21:47 Mar 18, 2021

Agreed. But I have to remind myself: Maybe they don't enough free time to spend on a paragraph (or two or three), describing their thoughts and feelings about a story. I'm "lucky" to be mostly unemployed and therefore I have plenty of free time to read, write, and edit. If I had a steady job, I probably would have very little free time. I think it *was* coincidence that I chose "Deidre" for Devon's mother's name. Like I said before, I don't think I was consciously thinking about "Deidra" (the writer on this website). I think I was thi...

Reply

Valerie June
18:42 Mar 20, 2021

Thank you so much for the book recommendations. I really want to improve on character development so I’m sure those will help me a lot. I feel like I’ve just received a birthday or Christmas present. I love your prose stories. The short sentences are full of meaning and beauty. With your words you show that their is more to people than their looks. Their will always be more. I really can’t expresses in words how this touched me in so many ways. This is why I love poems so much, they bring back memories that have almost been forgotten. This ...

Reply

Philip Clayberg
19:05 Mar 20, 2021

You're welcome. Fair warning, though: I can recommend far more books than just the ones I've referred you to. And not just books published in America, Canada, or England. I can also recommend Alexandre Dumas (pere -- the father -- not fils -- the son) and his books, the Three Musketeers series, there's a series about the French Revolution, there are two books about the Count of Monte Cristo, and so on. You can also try reading Leo Tolstoy's books, "Anna Karenina" and "War and Peace", if you don't mind a long, partly tragic drama (as in ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
22:13 Mar 24, 2021

Heya, so how are ya doing today?

Reply

Philip Clayberg
23:54 Mar 24, 2021

Tired. I edited two stories (and they weren't even my own). But I did submit a second story for the week yesterday, "The Endless Forest". Not what I call my best, but I was stepping out of my comfort zone in order to try to write a fairy tale that's more like the Grimms' Fairy Tales and Ridley Scott's movie, "Legend", than like most of Disney's animated movies. If a parent complains that my story scared their elementary-school-age child (or children), I'll say, "It wasn't written for someone their age. It was written for readers from ab...

Reply

B. W.
00:32 Mar 25, 2021

Not many people have been talking on here recently, so I haven't really done a lot of stuff, I mostly just talk to friends on here. Though I guess I've been doing good for right now, I'm a little bit tired though. I've still been working on my novel aswell, which has been really fun.

Reply

Philip Clayberg
02:32 Mar 25, 2021

I can't say the same. I've been "chatting" about the same amount as usual (not too much, not too little). Sometimes it's nice to just "chat" and not have to be about any particular story. I wish you could post parts of your novel on this website. I'm curious and want to read what you've written so far. I can't imagine trying to write a novel. It takes enough out of me sometimes just writing a short story. For me, a short story is like a tent in the backyard, and a novel is like a mansion. The tent is challenging enough. I think I'll...

Reply

B. W.
03:05 Mar 25, 2021

I mean, I could possibly try to post parts or scenes from my novel on here at some point, but it would probably get deleted. None of them would probably match the prompts. Hm, do you got any other ideas for a scene for Cora/Axel/Reboot? I still have that suggestion that you could try to do? The one with Axel going and saving Cora from drowning?

Reply

Philip Clayberg
15:48 Mar 26, 2021

Hmm. What if you started your own website or blog? You could post parts of your story there. Or maybe you could create a newsletter and each issue would include a part of your story. But then you'd need to email it (I think I've already given you one of my email addresses; you haven't emailed yet, though) to each reader. I thought it was Reboot who fell into the frozen lake, not Cora. Or am I confusing two different scenes with each other?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
R. B. Leyland
18:10 Mar 20, 2021

Will definitely keep waiting for more of this. Feels like the start of something that's for sure. Can i ask what sort of time period it was set in?

Reply

Philip Clayberg
18:20 Mar 20, 2021

Glad to hear it. It will definitely have further stories (once I get a prompt or prompts to inspire them). I just hope the editing will get easier, the further along the story gets. I'm trying to add idioms and slang that would be used in Ireland and Northern Ireland. Since I'm American, they aren't native to me. I just hope it doesn't sound like I'm trying too hard. I want it to feel as natural and realistic as possible. As far as *when* the story is set? I think either in the current year or maybe in the near future (about 5-10 yea...

Reply

R. B. Leyland
18:25 Mar 20, 2021

Ah cool! Will keep looking up for the next one then. I see! As an Englishman, I hope you don't mind a suggestion? You could use brexit too. There's been a lot of arguing over the border there between us and the EU.

Reply

Philip Clayberg
18:46 Mar 20, 2021

I have no problem getting help from someone who lives *much* closer to the scene of the action than I do. Any help would be most appreciated. I didn't think about Brexit (since these stories take place while that's active). Why would that affect things in Ireland/Northern Ireland? Is Ireland still part of the EU? If so, then I could understand some "friction" between Ireland and Northern Ireland over Brexit (because Northern Ireland, since it's part of the UK, would naturally follow England's lead). Maybe that's another thing that's ca...

Reply

R. B. Leyland
19:05 Mar 20, 2021

Unsure about the current climate over there, I've been for work and party weekends but most younger people aren't too fussed over religion or territories I found. Exactly like your story. Well the EU wanted a hard border, passport control and everything. So someone who works 20 minutes from home would possibly have to cross that. They came to an agreement thank god, but it was a close thing and tensions were definitely high. Huge worry about something like your story beginning to flare up again, since it's not long since settled down. Just a...

Reply

Philip Clayberg
19:20 Mar 20, 2021

The closest to Ireland/Northern Ireland I've ever been is Heathrow Airport near London back in 1978 (on the way from America to West Berlin). I've seen some of Rick Steves' travel shows on Ireland and Northern Ireland, though. It's a beautiful part of the world. And I remember back in the late 1970s and early 1980s when it seemed that there were reports of violence not just in the Middle East but also in Ireland and the UK. I wasn't in favor of Brexit, but I am still in favor of Scottish independence (maybe it's the Scottish part of my a...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Laiba M
12:43 Mar 19, 2021

Hi, Philip!~ I've missed talking to you. How have you been?

Reply

Philip Clayberg
18:38 Mar 19, 2021

Hi. Likewise. Get any stories written? I've submitted some more stories (the two recent ones are popular and I'm already looking forward to adding another story to that set ... once I find a story prompt that inspires it). Outside (in the real world), I think this year we just might get some *real* Springtime weather this year (as in, for three months, instead of one month and then straight into Summer weather). Hopefully, there won't be any late winter snowstorms. Looking forward to Springtime flowers (snowdrops, daffodils, tulips, az...

Reply

Laiba M
19:06 Mar 19, 2021

Yes, actually!!! I wrote "I love my Brinn" just a few days ago as a collab with Avani!~ I'm so happy to hear that! Yess, I can't wait for spring weather! It's been getting warmer and warmer recently and we started planting our garden and setting it up! We focus more on vegetables outdoors~ Do you grow any vegetables? Do you plan on seeing your family members anytime soon?

Reply

Philip Clayberg
21:29 Mar 19, 2021

Excellent! I'll go check that as soon as I can. I confess I'm not exactly thrilled with the story (of mine) that made the shortlist. I wouldn't say it's one of my best (it feels incomplete and in need of a sequel or two to flesh it out). But ... I'm not one of the judges, so I must abide by their decision. I'll just keep trying to write better stories so that, maybe, the next time I'm on the shortlist it will be with a story that I'm really happy with. I live in a mobile home. No gardens. I do have a large front deck with railings th...

Reply

Laiba M
02:02 Mar 20, 2021

Thank you!!! CONGRATULATIONS ON GETTING A SHORTLISTED STORY!!! Your writing is amazing :) Regardless of how you felt, I'm happy you at least got one shortlisted!!!!!!!! Ohhh, okay!! That makes sense. Maybe you could buy little succulents-those are really cheap and pretty! We do own a HUGE spider plant, it's about the size of a big dog! My mother loves plants, and she owns an African Violet she's REALLY proud of! They're gorgeous :) That's really, really cool! We grow oregano, rosemary, and basil as well-we have TONS of plants! Wow!! Yeah, h...

Reply

Philip Clayberg
14:49 Mar 20, 2021

You're welcome. It's my first time having a story shortlisted on this website. It reminds me of Jewel Staite talking about Kayleigh and Simon Tam (two characters in "Firefly") possibly finally kissing each other, "Long time comin'." I try to tell myself that I will try hard not to submit any story that I don't think is good enough to share with others. I've done my best to abide by that rule of thumb. Which is probably why I don't submit that many stories, but I try to make each story the best it can be. Spider plants are great because...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philip Clayberg
02:09 Mar 19, 2021

In the very first sentence, I decided to change "fifteen feet" to "ten feet". Fifteen feet just felt like it was too far. This isn't the Senate or the House of Representatives after all. If any of you think that it should go back to fifteen feet, I'll change it back.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Asha Pillay
20:21 Mar 18, 2021

Its a beautiful sequel to 'Two sides of the street'. You are a 'master'story writer and a perfect editor. All the best for your next one.

Reply

Philip Clayberg
21:21 Mar 18, 2021

Thank you very much. I'm glad you liked it after all. (When I sent you the incomplete rough draft, you said you didn't like it.) It's wonderful being appreciated for the time and effort put into creative writing. It's why I'll keep trying to do my best with the stories I submit to this website. Readers like you, Jose, B.W., Deidre, Annette, etc. definitely make it worth it. I bet that someday someone will tell you that you're a great writer, too. I just hope it doesn't take you about 30 years to reach that level (because that's how lo...

Reply

Asha Pillay
16:14 Mar 19, 2021

Thanks for your kind words

Reply

Asha Pillay
00:15 Mar 20, 2021

I hit the delete button and your reply was deleted too, will you reply to it again?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philip Clayberg
05:31 Mar 18, 2021

Just reread the story again and a word was missing. I've added it. See below: "He isn't like us or Devon's." should've read: "He isn't like us or Devon's parents." *sigh* I hope I don't find more errors before the weekly contest ends on Friday. Wish me luck.

Reply

Show 0 replies
03:00 Mar 17, 2021

Okay this needs to be a screenplay almost immediately—this is something I’d love to watch on PBS or Netflix! You have it all—pacing, characterization, dialogue. Make this miniseries happen!

Reply

Philip Clayberg
03:08 Mar 17, 2021

Glad you liked it. Thank you so much for your enthusiasm and support. It means a lot to me. It wasn't easy writing it (except for the third scene) or editing it (ditto). But I'm glad it was worth the effort. Now I just want to see what happens in the third story (since I've gotten past the two meetings -- the Aldermen's and at the police station). I'm surprised you didn't point out that this time it isn't Devon who's bending the do-not-mingle and do-not-cross-the-street rules; it's Niamh doing it. (Btw, I haven't written her poem to h...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philip Clayberg
15:57 Apr 08, 2021

Thought I'd send you this link at the BBC website: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-56664868 Real life is even worse than what I'd already written in these two stories (I haven't written a third story in the series yet).

Reply

18:05 Apr 08, 2021

Agreed. Real life is always worse -- :) You have great talent. I so look forward to reading more from you.

Reply

Philip Clayberg
22:13 Apr 08, 2021

It reminds me of June 1991 when I was trying to write a Helen MacInnes style of suspense story set in Moscow, having no idea what would be happening in real life two months later. I didn't finish the story, but even if I had, real-life events had already zipped right past anything I was able to imagine. I remember reading the newspaper in August 1991 and saying (no joke), "Wait a minute. Who gave them a copy of my story? I wasn't even finished with it yet." I just wish that my creative urges were more frequent. I had to completely rewr...

Reply

23:46 Apr 08, 2021

That's the thing with the muses. Sometimes they show up. Sometimes you have to go and kidnap and threaten them to provide inspiration.... :)

Reply

Philip Clayberg
00:10 Apr 09, 2021

I think my muse is doing her best, but she's having to deal with someone who isn't young anymore (at least, not physically). Someone who's trying to do his best to listen to her and write what she gives him. Thankfully, she's more patient with me than she used to be back in 1989. I would never dream of threatening my muse. She would go away and I might never hear from her again (and it's already hard enough spending sometimes entire years without my female best friend, who lives a couple hours north of Seattle, Washington State; hard to ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.