25 comments

Holiday Fantasy

Amethyst almost jingled as she walked down the street. She was adorned in mounds of gemstone jewelry that clanged with every step: necklaces of quartz as clear as the night sky, aventurine bracelets carrying hundreds of charms, huge rings of tiger eye wrapped around every finger. It was a wonder she managed not to fall over with all the extra weight. 


She hurried past giggling children and their parents, ignoring their curious glances, and stepped into the forest at the end of the neighborhood. The trees stood so close together she could barely see through them even under the light of the full moon.


Amethyst glanced around before snapping her fingers. The trees suddenly jumped to the side, creating a narrow pathway. She grinned and marched forward, listening as the shrieks of excited children softened to the sounds of the earth: singing crickets, a trickling creek.


After a few minutes of crunching through the forest and sending trees out of her way, Amethyst came upon a clearing. Four figures stood around a small fire.


“About time,” huffed Freya as Amethyst hiked over. Freya wore a red cloak, framing a pale face that appeared almost translucent in the moonlight. She shot a glare at Amethyst, who rolled her eyes back.


“Hush, Freya. She made it. That’s what matters,” murmured Willow. She smiled at Amethyst and tossed her silver hair behind her shoulders. A sudden wind whistled through the trees.


“It’s freezing, even with this pathetic thing,” said Sybil, pointing her boot at the small fire. “Can you do something, Willow?” A sparrow flew to Sybil’s shoulder and twittered in her ear. “Sparrow here’s shivering her wings off.”


“It’s a bird,” laughed Willow. “It’s its own fault if it didn’t fly south for the winter.”


“Have some compassion, sister. It’s a friend.”


Willow sighed and closed her eyes, lifting her arms and turning her palms to the sky. A sudden heat settled onto the group. Amethyst shivered and melted into the new warmth.


“Mm. Thank you, Willow,” said Sybil. She pulled her black cloak tighter around her shoulders. “The animals thank you.”


“I bet they do.”


“Quiet,” said Beatrix in a hushed voice. The woman had no hair and chocolate eyes that seemed to stare straight into Amethyst’s soul.


The witches’ mouths shut. In fact, the whole forest seemed to still. Amethyst could no longer hear the rustling of the leaves or the choir of the crickets.


She tried to open her mouth and stomped her foot when she couldn’t.


“Ah. Apologies.” Beatrix snapped her fingers and her coven sighed as they regained their voices.


“A little tense there, sister?” said Freya, smirking.


“You could say that,” said Beatrix. “We only get one shot.”


“Then let’s make it count,” said Amethyst quickly. She touched her wrinkled face and frowned.


The witches nodded and grasped hands, shuffling closer to the fire. Beatrix began to speak.


“O Magic One, Master of the Coven, we give you ourselves. Sister Sybil, speaker to all living beings, gives you her voice.”


Sybil opened her mouth and sang a sweet melody. The lingering notes sunk into the fire and the flames turned a bright blue. 


A twig snapped to Amethyst’s right. She jumped and glanced to the side; there stood a deer, watching them. 


“Another friend,” breathed Sybil. “She heard my song.”


Beatrix cleared her throat. “Sister Amethyst, vessel to the earth, gives you her body.”


Amethyst let go of her sisters’ hands to pull a tiny pair of scissors from her pocket. She took a deep breath before cutting off a chunk of her gray hair and wrapping it around one of her gemstone rings. She tossed it into the flames, which turned as yellow as citrine, one of her favorite stones.


Her finger felt naked without the ring. She shivered as she clasped Sybil's and Willow’s hands once more.


“Sister Willow, goddess of the air and skies, gives her breath.”


Willow crouched and blew on the flames, which turned as white as the moon.


“Easiest job,” she whispered. Amethyst grinned.


“Sister Freya, brewer of the Coven, gives her blood.”


Freya pulled a knife from her pocket. She cut into her palm and squeezed a few droplets of blood onto the flames, which turned red.


“Hardest job,” she muttered, grabbing Amethyst's hand again. Amethyst ignored the sticky feel of blood against her palm.


“And I, Sister Beatrix, High Priestess and Altar of the Coven, give my soul.”


Beatrix knelt and put her entire hand in the flames, which turned blacker than the night. She straightened--her hand now covered in odd markings but looking otherwise unhurt--and tilted her head, calling to the moon above.


“O Magic One, Master of the Coven, grant us our years back!”


The flames suddenly burst into a flickering rainbow of mesmerizing colors. Amethyst couldn’t tear her eyes away.


“Sisters, breathe the smoke!” cried Beatrix.


Amethyst leaned forward, almost touching heads with her sisters. The warmth of the fire washed over her face and the smoke made her eyes water. She inhaled, refusing the urge to cough, and imagined all the colors of the flames flowing through her body.


She gasped as her body burned. The heat became almost unbearable, and then it disappeared as suddenly as it came.


She coughed and touched her face, which was as smooth as an apple.


Amethyst blinked at the people around the fire--all girls that couldn’t have been older than twelve.


“A real Halloween treat, yes?” said young Beatrix, smiling at her sisters.


The witches burst into laughter and tears.


“Oh, it’s been too long!” said Amethyst, staring at her wrinkle-free hands.


“Only fifty years, sister,” said Willow, grinning. She waved her arms and a bout of rain snuffed the flames.


Amethyst kicked the ashes around until the clearing looked just like any other spot in the forest. She snapped her fingers and a few flowers popped out of the ground.


“Here’s to immortality,” said Freya. She wrapped a bandage around her cut hand and shook the rain out of her cloak.


“More importantly--here’s to candy,” said Sybil, licking her lips. Another bird landed on her shoulder and twittered in her ear.


The young witches laughed as they hurried out of the forest and into the Halloween night.

October 26, 2020 00:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

25 comments

Molly Leasure
05:01 Oct 27, 2020

Love this, for many reasons, but mostly because in my head I was like "wow, she only has to blow wind?" and then you made a joke about it being the easiest. Damn right, it's the easiest. The other one has to give her soul. Sidenote: does her hand remain black forever or just, you know, for that spell? I have a lot of intrigue into a character with one eternally blackened hand. Sounds so very anime, now that I think about it, haha. ANYWAY, I'm getting sidetracked. Wonderfully descriptive, and as always, incredibly creative. I love the way you...

Reply

Lani Lane
14:07 Oct 27, 2020

Even your tiny edits make a world of difference, THANK YOU! Also, you have some good questions about the hand and now I want to add more details to that part, lol. I was like, how does she give her soul?? Hand in the fire?? Just a placeholder for now while I figure out what the hell I'm talking about. XD I reallyyyy want to write for all five prompts this week, so might avoid sleep altogether... XD

Reply

Molly Leasure
21:17 Oct 27, 2020

She just vomits her soul onto the fire. LOL. The hand totally works. Her soul could always glowily travel from somewhere else on her body to her hand, a little soul transfer ;). I mean, I don't wanna say "do it" and don't sleep. BUT. DO IT AND DON'T SLEEP. xD

Reply

Lani Lane
20:55 Oct 28, 2020

I FAILED AND SLEPT UGH. Buttttt I caught up on almost ALL the stories I wanted to read yay!!!

Reply

Molly Leasure
18:40 Oct 29, 2020

WELL DANG, you're doing better than me! I still need to catch up on all the stories I want to get read!! :(

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
S. Closson
10:18 Oct 26, 2020

Nice story! The aspects I enjoyed the most would be the way you did the introduction of Amethyst as a magic user, as well as how distinct you made each of the witches personality-wise as the story progressed. I'm glad they were able to regain their youth, but I hope they get that little sparrow to shelter soon or it's going to turn into a popsicle! haha.

Reply

Lani Lane
19:24 Oct 26, 2020

Thank you so much, Stephen!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maggie Deese
03:16 Oct 27, 2020

This was incredibly bewitching, Leilani! Hocus Pocus is my favorite Halloween movie and I was getting the same vibes in this story, which I loved. Your characters were charismatic and a joy to read about. I think fantasy is your genre! You are wonderful at creating these magical stories with a limited word count. Amazing job! :)

Reply

Lani Lane
14:01 Oct 27, 2020

Aw thank you so much, Maggie! I've been really loving the fantasy stuff lately. :) I am SO behind on reading stories but I can't wait to read your new one!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aveena Bordeaux
17:58 Oct 26, 2020

This was really good! Witches don't typically have a good rep but you've added dimension to these ones. I would be wary of them but still want to be their friend :) Something small I noticed - Near the end it says that Sybil wrapped a bandage around her cut hand, but I thought that Freya was the one who cuts into her palm and gives the blood. That's it, though. I loved this!!

Reply

Lani Lane
19:28 Oct 26, 2020

Ah, thank you so much! Writing this was a nightmare because I kept getting confused with all the names... thank you for catching that!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lina Oz
16:02 Oct 26, 2020

You have been KILLING the witch stories. I really hope you consider writing a longer piece or novel about witches! You have such a descriptive and fantastical voice, but you also don't play into the common "stereotypes" of witches. Here, they have such multidimensional personalities and traits. I love these witch stories––keep 'em coming!! Tiny critique: She shivered as she clasped Sybil and Willow’s hands once more. --She shivered as she clasped Sybil's and Willow’s hands once more.

Reply

Lani Lane
19:26 Oct 26, 2020

Thank you!!! Also, I was wonderful what the correct grammar was for that sentence FOREVER, thank you so much for pointing that out!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Linda Brodsky
15:51 Nov 08, 2020

Your story was so descriptive, Leilani, it was easy to imagine being a bystanders on this Halloween night. One note - I had difficulty reconciling the temperature (apparently very cold) with the sound of crickets. Being a mid-westerner, I associate the sound of crickets with a warm summer's evening. Thanks for sharing your work.

Reply

Lani Lane
15:52 Nov 08, 2020

Oh my gosh, that's such a good point!! It's little details like that that make all the difference... thank you so much for reading and for pointing that out, I'll be sure to remember for future writing, Linda!! You're the best!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jessica Inman
02:31 Nov 05, 2020

I really enjoyed reading this; a great, entertaining story! I don't really have any edits or anything to suggest: just really good writing :-) Well done!

Reply

Lani Lane
14:32 Nov 08, 2020

Thank you so much, Jessica!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AJ Hensley
18:39 Oct 28, 2020

I am LOVING this story. I was so captured by your characters and the dialogue and descriptions that I stopped looking for corrections/edits and just enjoyed the ride! Then, even on the second read through, I really didn't find anything that jumped out at me as awkward or fixable. Incredibly strong writing and a lovely story - you KILLED this prompt! Loving it!

Reply

Lani Lane
18:51 Oct 28, 2020

Thank you so so much Aj!!! Your comment entirely made my day, you're the best!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Felicity Anne
15:11 Oct 28, 2020

Congratulations on getting married!!!!!! I LOVE your wedding dress!!

Reply

Lani Lane
16:17 Oct 28, 2020

Aw thank you so much, Felicity!!! That made my day!! This is just the last-minute elopement dress... have my real wedding dress for the wedding next year ;) It was postponed due to COVID!

Reply

Felicity Anne
18:12 Oct 28, 2020

No problem!! I'm so sorry it was postponed! :(

Reply

Lani Lane
18:19 Oct 28, 2020

Aw it was actually fine!! Would definitely recommend eloping. :D

Reply

Felicity Anne
18:22 Oct 28, 2020

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

I find this story so unique, and the ritual so strange. The setting descriptions are beautiful.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.