24 comments

Suspense Thriller

Logan heard a faint click as she walked through the big glass door and another as she stepped inside. The noises were small and hard to latch onto, and for a moment, she thought she’d imagined them. 

Another click sounded as her perfectly white sneakers squeaked on the black and white tile taking her down the skinny hallway towards the bank of mailboxes. 

She ducked her head to rummage through her giant leather shoulder bag and nearly jumped out of her skin when Rodney appeared at her side seemingly out of nowhere. 

“Jesus!” She gasped and then laughed at herself when she recognized him. 

He was short and thin, almost alarmingly so, with cheeks and sharp features. His drab brown hair always seemed dirty and hung down into his dull green eyes. He wore an old faded hoodie nearly every single day, no matter the weather, and mismatched gray socks beneath pale denim cargo shorts.

He smiled up at Logan and leaned against the mailboxes, shuffling through a small stack of envelopes. 

“H-how are you today?” he asked, high-pitched voice hanging over their heads in the silent hall. 

Logan swallowed back her laughter and sighed. “Great. You?” Her smile was polite even though she wanted nothing more than to ignore him. He was always hanging around, always there whenever she was. He was just a little bit more than creepy. 

Rodney grinned. “Oh, I’m j-just great.” He licked his lip oddly as he stared up at her and Logan felt a chill run down her spine. 

She shook it off and fisted her keys, lifting them out of her bag. “Well… that’s good.” She paused long enough for him to take the hint and move, but he didn’t seem to catch on. With a flip of dark auburn hair, she cleared her throat and nodded at her mailbox, the one currency holding up his shoulder. “Excuse me…” 

Rodney laughed and stood up, backing away from her box. “Of course. Sorry about that.” He stepped back a few paces and set himself up against the opposite wall, pretending to open a letter. 

She could feel his eyes gazing over her shoulder and Logan moved to block her mailbox from view. 

Rodney sighed dramatically. “So many bills…” 

Logan slammed the tiny metal door shut and twisted the key. “Yeah. Bills, bills, bills!” She turned around and he was nearly on top of her. Her breath caught and her stomach churned. There was always something off with him.

“Any plans this weekend?” he asked, eyes trailing up and down her lightly freckled face. 

Logan cringed and shook her head. “Uh… nope.” She stepped back a tile and smiled pleasantly. “Well… see you around.” 

She turned, sneakers squeaking on the polished floor, and sprinted to the steps. 

“Sure will!” 

His voice followed her up to the second floor and she lingered there on the landing, out of sight and shivering. 

Something very, very strange about that guy. 

On Thursday, she was running late for work, having thrice slept through her alarm. She pinned her curls up into a messy bun and slapped on a bit of blue eye shadow and some cherry gloss. Her gleaming white sneakers looked cute with her navy sundress so she went with it, shrugging at her reflection. July in New York City was sweltering and it wasn’t as if she was headed to a fashion show. Life working in the book store wasn’t exactly glamorous but she did her best. 

Giant bag over her shoulder, she bounded down the three flights of stairs into the small lobby and nearly smacked right into him. 

Rodney was standing at the foot of the stairs checking his watch. He looked up when Logan appeared, a giant smile spreading across his face. 

“Good morning!” he chimed, voice just as irritating as a bell. 

Logan sighed softly and smiled, sidestepping him. “Morning.” 

He moved to block her way, looking up at her. “Late for work? It’s nearly eight.” 

Her stomach flipped. “How do you know-” She shook her head at such a silly idea. He knew she was late because she was rushing out of the door. “Uh… yeah. Didn’t hear the alarm this morning.” 

Rodney nodded sympathetically. “Yeah, that can happen…” 

“Mhm…” She moved to the left and he mirrored, still blocking her path. “So… excuse me.” She placed a hand on his upper arm and gently pushed by him, rushing for the door. 

She didn’t hear the sharp gasp, didn’t see him clutch the spot she’d touched or the fire in his eyes. She was only thinking about getting to work. 

Rodney was sitting on the bottom step when she got home that day. He looked sunbeaten and tired, resting his forearms on his knees. He looked up as soon as the front door opened and smiled like a child on Christmas when Logan stepped through. 

“Hey!” He climbed to his feet as if he’d been waiting for her, and wiped his sweaty palms on his backside. 

Logan gave him a small smile. “Hi.” She walked by him without another word, heading for her mailbox. 

A familiar click ran through her head and she turned back to look at Rodney who stood as still as a statue, watching her. He waved and she shuddered, quickly digging her keys from her bag. 

A second click hit her ears as she tugged the little door open. 

Logan reached inside and her hand landed on something velvety soft. She pulled her hand out and turned the head of a single red rose in her palm. She gasped and looked around confused, finding herself strangely alone. 

Rodney was gone.

Rose crushed in her fist, Logan walked to the small trash can by the door and dropped it inside. 

Two clicks echoed through the hall. 

Strange present aside, the evening went on like any other. She cooked a small meal, poured a glass of white wine, and ate in front of the T.V. while mindlessly watching another documentary on Netflix. 

She dozed on the sofa, head propped up on her hand, blue light flickering from the screen. As her eyes fell closed, a knock on the door jarred her awake. 

Barefeet raced to answer the knock but when she opened the door, Logan found a dark, empty hallway. She stuck her head out of the door and looked down to the left, then up to the right, but there was nothing but shut doors and ugly beige paint. 

“What the fu-”

As she went to close the door, she looked down and saw a single red rose head sitting next to a bottle of white wine on her welcome mat. Carefully, she picked up the gift and sucked in an anxious breath. It was the same wine she had inside. Same brand, year, everything. 

Again, she looked up and down the hall, but there was no one, nothing but darkness. 

She took the wine inside and set it down on the counter, staring at it. The rose crumbled in her hand and fell into the garbage. 

There was no way she was going to open the wine, but she felt bad throwing it away, so she tucked it into the cabinet above the refrigerator, out of sight but not out of mind. 

Logan lay awake most of the night, anxiously going over the gifts in her mind. They were creepy, to be sure, but not threatening in any way. She reasoned that they were probably from Rodney since he was always lingering around her; he was harmless, and a neighbor… How bad could a little crush be?

Friday morning saw her up bright and early yet with a few dark circles beneath her eyes. 

After struggling with concealer for ten minutes too long, she shuffled to the door and flipped off her lights. 

She sucked in a heavy, frightened breath before her foot even fell. There, on her doorstep, was another deep red rose head. Quickly, she scooped it up and tossed it into the kitchenette garbage, determined to ignore the unsolicited offerings. 

It was raining out and the big lobby windows were grayed with clouds and scattered with racing raindrops. Rodney stood by the door, staring out into the downpour. 

“They said it might rain today,” he said, looking back at Logan over his shoulder as she hit the bottom step. 

She inhaled deeply and nodded. “That they did.” 

“I hope you have an umbrella, it’s a long walk to the shop.” 

Her body tensed. How did he know where she worked? Maybe she’d told him in passing… 

“Yeah.” Logan pushed past him and opened the door, shoving her little pink umbrella outside first. “Well… have a good one.” She hit the button and the canopy opened up, stopping the rain for a moment. 

Rodney watched her walk away, eyes never leaving her body until she was swallowed up by the fog. “You too.” 

Friday evening, she almost skipped the mailbox, but habit found her walking towards them anyway. 

A symphony of unattached clicks followed each footstep and Logan bit down on her tongue to hold in a worried cry.

She pushed her key into the lock with a trembling hand and looked inside to find another red rose head and a stack of black and white photos. 

Tears sprang up as she pulled the pictures out. A dozen or so four by six snapshots looked up at her all bearing her face. 

There were shots of her in the lobby, shots of her getting the mail. Photos of her walking to work, one of her unlocking her front door. The last one was from that morning, and Logan stared at herself walking away from the apartment building with her umbrella clutched close. 

She dropped the rose at her feet; crushed the petals as she ran to the steps. 

Rodney was nowhere to be seen, but she could feel someone watching her, stalking her from the shadows. 

Three flights of stairs felt like thirty as she raced to her door, desperate to get out of the dimly lit halls and into her safe space. 

As she reached her floor, Logan skidded around the corner at the top of the stairs and smacked right into Rachel, her neighbor from 4J. 

“Whoa!” Rachel laughed, grabbing Logan by the shoulders to help steady her on her feet. “Are we on fire?” 

Logan stammered, blinking at her friend. “W-what?” 

“You’re running like the building’s on fire. You OK?”  

The photos crinkled in her grip and Logan looked down at them quickly before taking a step back and hiding the pictures at her side. 

“Uh… yeah. Fine. Sorry. I wasn’t looking where I was going.” 

Rachel squinted at her suspiciously but let it go. “That’s alright, hun. Just be careful.” She stepped around Logan and started down the steps. 

“Hey, Rach?”

“Yeah?” 

Logan chewed her lip for a moment, unsure of what to ask. “You know Rodney?”

Rachel’s foot bounced on the top step. “Rodney?” She scrunched up her nose and looked up at the ceiling, thinking. “No. I don’t know anyone named Rodney.” 

Logan’s chest ached. “He’s… uh… short, scrawny older guy… always hanging around the mailboxes.” 

Rachel clicked her tongue. “Yes! OK. I know that guy. Creepy as hell.” 

“Yeah. Him. What… Do you know what apartment he’s in?” 

Ruby lips pursed as Rachel shook her head. “Yeah, I don’t think he lives here, hun.” 

Logan’s stomach tensed. “What? He has to-”

“No. He’s just always hanging around. Super kicks him out every now and then but- yeah, he doesn’t actually live here. I don’t know where he lives.” 

Logan’s jaw dropped slightly and she stared off at the far wall. 

“Is he giving you problems? Because I can call the super and-” 

“No.” Logan held up a hand. “No, that’s OK. Thanks…”

Rachel went on speaking but Logan was lost in her head. She looked down at the photos and sorted through them again, brows furrowing as worry swept over her face. She waved absently when Rachel said goodbye; walked slowly down to her door. 

Sure, the roses were creepy and the photos were a little scary, but at least he hadn’t been inside her apartment. At least she was still safe inside.

Logan locked the door behind her and drew the metal chain across. She dropped the pictures on her coffee table and kicked off her perfect white sneakers before heading to the bedroom. 

She pulled her shirt off, balled it up, and tossed it into the hamper by the door. She dropped her hand to her jeans and froze as her eyes fell upon a single crimson rose head laying on her pillow. 

Lightning cracked through the darkness outside and Logan screamed as a thin, gloved hand wrapped around her face, covering her mouth and dragging her down into the shadows. 

June 01, 2022 20:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

24 comments

05:08 Aug 16, 2023

I want to give a big thanks to a great spell caster popularly known as DR Jumba for the great spiritual prayers he did to restore my broken relationship by bringing back my ex-lover back to me after many months of breakup and loneliness. With this, I am convinced that Dr Jumba is a Godsent to this world to rescue people from heartbreaks and also to help us get the solution to every relationship problem. for those of you out there who have one relationship problem or the other why not contact Dr Jumba he his specialize in Problem Solution :-...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ronnie Launy
16:33 May 22, 2023

Love it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dora Sebastian
19:15 Oct 25, 2022

Hello everyone. For quite some time, My husband was living in another apartment due to work pressure and we were very much happy together even though he stayed apart from us for some months. Little did i know a colleague from work was already having an affair with him which made my husband file a divorce against me out of nowhere. I knew something was wrong because we never had to fight or argue that much to make him leave. I was traumatized and i search for help to tackle the situation which led me to DR ISIKOLO from praises people showered...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jazmine Abuzaid
12:38 Jun 17, 2022

This story was very well written for this prompt. I love the suspense and creepiness this story has.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Charlotte Ava
07:51 Jun 09, 2022

URGENT EFFECTIVE LOVE SPELL PRIEST LEO TO GET YOUR EX BACK FAST TO SAVE AND RESTORE YOUR MARRIAGE! ASTROSOLUTIONREALM@GMAIL.COM HELLO, I've been searching for help on how to get my ex-lover back that broke up with me 2 years ago... I was traumatized by the breakup and nearly wanted to commit suicide but I thank God that I got the contact with Priest Leo the spiritual father that helped me to get back my ex-lover after much searching for help from different places. When I got in touch with Priest Leo, I explained everything to him so he ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Charlotte Ava
07:51 Jun 09, 2022

URGENT EFFECTIVE LOVE SPELL PRIEST LEO TO GET YOUR EX BACK FAST TO SAVE AND RESTORE YOUR MARRIAGE! ASTROSOLUTIONREALM@GMAIL.COM HELLO, I've been searching for help on how to get my ex-lover back that broke up with me 2 years ago... I was traumatized by the breakup and nearly wanted to commit suicide but I thank God that I got the contact with Priest Leo the spiritual father that helped me to get back my ex-lover after much searching for help from different places. When I got in touch with Priest Leo, I explained everything to him so he ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Martin Eileen
00:49 Jun 08, 2022

REAL AND EFFECTIVE LOVE SPELL CASTER TO BRING BACK EX LOVER URGENTLY, FIX BROKEN MARRIAGE, STOP DIVORCE,STOP TOXIC RELATIONSHIP ETC. CALL OR WHATSAPP +2347025891637 I hear how people are talking about The powerful spell caster called PRIEST OTAME in regard of how he bring back ex lover and helping them get married to their dream lover and i also contact him to help me cast a spell in regard of my ex lover whom i love so much that left me 2yrs ago, but today my ex is back to me and we are happily married with 3kids and i am so much happy for ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Bruce Friedman
15:11 Jun 06, 2022

Terrific work Rebekah. Great build of suspense. Wonderful pacing. Rich vocabulary. One nitpick. You say; With a flip of dark auburn hair, she cleared her throat and nodded at her mailbox, the one currency holding up his shoulder. “Excuse me…” Did you mean "currently?"

Reply

Rebekah Jordan
15:43 Jun 06, 2022

Ahhhh!!! I missed a typo!! Thank you so much, Bruce. Apparently, I cannot go edit it since it's already been approved. Oops. We all make mistakes :)

Reply

Bruce Friedman
17:38 Jun 06, 2022

A gentle suggestion. Over the past year, I have learned that I am not a good proof reader of my own stuff. Partly because I know the story line and skip over parts. My solution is, in the final stages and in MS Word, to use the "read aloud" feature to navigate through the final proofreading. Works like a charm for me to pick up errors, particularly the wrong words.

Reply

Rebekah Jordan
17:52 Jun 06, 2022

That is a brilliant idea! Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
07:07 Jun 06, 2022

You really worked well with the prompt. I grew up in England and only know shared houses subdivided into flats, but I could completely picture the mailboxes and feel the tension creep up as Logan had to keep returning there to get her mail. The awful routine added to the sense of inevitability, perfect for the genre. Glad I read this in the morning; I wouldn't have got much sleep otherwise !!well done

Reply

Rebekah Jordan
13:01 Jun 06, 2022

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
19:27 Jun 05, 2022

Theme: always be ready? Favorite character detail: pink umbrella. Best element: tone How to make more important? Exchange character "down time" (wine drinking, book store doesn't sound like career,etc) for glimpses as to why Logan is very important to the world around. Perhaps she is an activist? Perhaps she is more than a victim? Is Rodney believable? Yes. The fact that he doesn't live in the building really added to the suspense. This is a very good melodrama. The pacing and voice are quite lovely. You could make it a comedy or drama ...

Reply

Rebekah Jordan
13:01 Jun 06, 2022

Thank you for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
19:07 Jun 05, 2022

I only stopped to see if you had any comments. Flow is very good. Let me save so I can chew more without swallowing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jay McKenzie
09:45 Jun 05, 2022

Ooh, so creepy! And such a good take on the prompt. The build in suspense is lovely - the pace excellent. I was scared the clicks were a gun at first. True story: I once had a fling (very brief) with a guy who took photos of me in my sleep. A LOT of photos. So creepy!

Reply

Rebekah Jordan
13:02 Jun 06, 2022

oh that is so creepy!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Piper Ollie
04:37 Jun 05, 2022

Such a well done story! Your ability to write suspense is unmatched! Keep up the great work!

Reply

Rebekah Jordan
13:02 Jun 06, 2022

Thank you so much, Piper!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
10:30 Jun 04, 2022

Woow , fabulous

Reply

Rebekah Jordan
18:55 Jun 04, 2022

Thank you 😇

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Todd Johnson
09:38 Jun 03, 2022

Wow, I should know better than reading a story like this late at night! Superbly creepy, and I was invested all the way through, hoping Logan would come out of this okay. I love how you keep ratcheting up the tension, tricking me into believing Rodney can’t get any creepier - and then he does. Extremely well executed! Thank you for sharing.

Reply

Rebekah Jordan
10:30 Jun 03, 2022

Wow! Thank you so so much! Glad you enjoyed :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.