A Fortuitous Visit.

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a post-apocalyptic thriller.... view prompt

8 comments

Fantasy Science Fiction Thriller



A Fortuitous Visit.





It had been almost one hundred and fifty years since the aliens had left an earth stripped of most of its minerals and people. They had fought gallantly, but against overwhelming odds, they were decimated by the billions. Heroes rose up and were struck down, so vicious and unrelenting were their foes. However, a relative few remained and hid themselves coming out only after every alien had left their world.


With the few that remained, something in their DNA was triggered and they started to evolve at an exponential rate. In a very short time, there was an awakening in which an incredible race of beings changed to something that the alien race would not be able to defeat.


Spontaneously, the remaining human beings had evolved in ways that only very few had achieved previously and which seemed magical into what they were now experiencing; and it still hadn’t finished.


An awakening of dormant properties of spirit which flourished in ways that only superhero comics had any inkling about. All children born in the last seventy years were telepathic, and the more recent could fabricate different substances from the earth in quantities that enabled buildings to be erected in just a few hours.


Children less than fifteen years old could conjure up domes and spheres of any dimension that had proven impervious to anything thrown or fired at them. They were able to encapsulate aircraft in mid-air to bring them down safely to the ground.


Their telepathic abilities did not appear to be limited, as they were able to contact the former ‘scourge of their earth’ and encapsulate their whole world with an unbreakable force. Those particular aliens were a mechanistic species with no inherent mental abilities outside of just thinking and reasoning. Other worlds would be safe from being plundered by them, even though the others might not be given the chance for the greater freedom that they had obtained from being almost vanquished out of existence.


Their world’s population had been reduced to just a few hundred thousand and the people, although enjoying sex in exquisite ways now, saw no need to obey any imperative to ‘go forth and multiply.’ Instead, they had a breeding program which some undertook to do to see what further developments were in the offing for even later arrivals.


The very latest child to be born, teleported herself from her mother’s womb on completion and greeted the doctors who were there on standby. She had learned the mother’s language as well as her friend’s French one too. She said she felt helpless at present, and if some milk was available she would welcome the feed.


The telepathic community rejoiced at the news, and intending mothers looked forward to ‘childbirth’ with more enthusiasm if this trend continued.


Their new world had no need for leaders, but the newer arrivals still looked to the ancient ones for advice as needed. The service was not utilised often as common sense seemed now to be 'built in.'


Groups of telepaths and builders would construct vast areas of land into magnificent combinations of flora and architecture to last or be removed for something else as their thinking and artistic abilities expanded and changed.


The world had long ceased its warming to unsustainable temperatures under the control of the extraordinary beings.


Over the next five thousand years, much of the earth was hollowed out and all manner of environments constructed there.


Seas that seemed constantly to be whipped to dizzying heights by tornadoes and hurricanes for those that desired it. And a thousand different other environments were brought into existence as ways to exercise their relatively new talents.


Nothing seemingly was beyond their grasp. Mankind had evolved to Homo Novus and praised the fortuitous visit of the aliens.


One hundred thousand years of full cooperative communion passed when there was a vague awareness that it may be that they had to lay aside ‘childish’ things.


As further millennia rolled by there was a gradual ‘switching’ off from full individual participation as it was realised the evolutionary process was continuing, and they were becoming ONE in the fullest sense of the word. Full realisation eliminated differences and the knowingness now prevailed they were no more, but just ONE.


There was no celebration, as they merged into a single unit. It existed outside of time and space which they knew was its own creation. It communed with itself forever and in no time. It was, but knew it could further evolve to where it wasn’t.


After billions of years or maybe no time at all, it decided to change. Eternity tended to induce even the very enlightened to seek solutions to it. Of course, it knew eternity didn’t exist at all; it was just a fabrication of immediate creation. There had ‘always’ been only now, but still, the entity decided to play.


***


Lomee and Rulan decided to explore this new world onto which they had materialised. They had no cognizance as to how they arrived, but accepted that here they were, and let it be so.


It was a lush world and creatures wandered through the forests and plains where their young played. Corletons, played with Nowentees with enthusiasm and joy despite their size difference.


The pair came upon an Oplats which appeared to offer its fruit to them with the understanding that their progeny seeds were placed into fertile soil. One oplat squom would suffice a person for the whole day, pushing its nutrients into every part of their human-like body. They thanked it and then made love under the tree as a tribute to its generosity.


They decided they would stay upon this world and start to populate it if the world had no objection. They felt a welcoming wave and requested the use of the earth to build and use its discarded materials to furnish their, ‘to be home.’ Once more they felt the waves of acquiescence and in the vibrational thrall that surrounded them, they made love to produce their first child.


They named her Molivree, child of a new earth, daughter of all living things. As a child, the creatures would come to play and bring things for her. Vintors would put her on their backs and fly her to the mountains and over the lakes and seas. Word would be carried back to Lomee and Rulan as to where she was at any given time. Molivree learned to speak with the many creatures and grew to be loved and nurtured by them and she, in turn, loved them all.


Her father and mother sired another girl and a boy who also were adopted by the creatures of their world, which, they had discovered, was named Frolissa, meaning unique. It was the only world in the universe.


‘All That Is’ decided to start out small again, there was plenty of time if it wanted to create it that way.




September 20, 2020 08:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

05:10 Sep 25, 2020

Hey, Len would you be kind to watch the first video it's on Harry potter. https://youtu.be/KxfnREWgN14 Sorry for asking your time, This my first time to edit video

Reply

Show 0 replies
Corey Melin
20:17 Sep 22, 2020

Very impressed with the story about the way things will need to be for life to finally change since we tend to repeat history over and over and over. Very well written. Well done.

Reply

Len Mooring
21:28 Sep 23, 2020

Thank you, Corey. As you say, it's hard to break a pattern.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emily Nghiem
15:55 Sep 27, 2020

Hey, where's the REST of the story? This is just a teaser. Maybe you should apply for a job writing for Netflix. Get everyone excited but cut the ending short, blaming to time restraints, and drag us all along for another season to find out the rest. You could make millions stringing your audiences along! And share the cut of advertising profits with Netfix, for exploiting helpless readers left hanging like this!

Reply

Len Mooring
05:30 Sep 28, 2020

You are a tease, also, Emily. You'll start to make me introverted soon. I've actually got a stalled longer fairy story which has a smidgeon of resemblance to the above, but don't know where to go with it. Thank you, once again for your encouragement.

Reply

Emily Nghiem
11:51 Sep 28, 2020

Let's collaborate then. Together we will take the world by literary storm, and rule the Galaxy. Both the positive and dark sides with unapologetic humor. I will make up silly things and places to go with your writing you have too much sense to think of trying. And you will take my overblown writing, throw half of it in the trashcan where it belongs, and just keep the good parts before it went to hell. Anyone who wants to waste resources waging war, destroying the planet, or making another bad movie before consulting us to turn it into a wors...

Reply

Len Mooring
19:22 Oct 02, 2020

Okay, Emily, I'm holding my breath and hoping I won't disappoint you. I've suddenly gone wordless.

Reply

Emily Nghiem
22:01 Oct 11, 2020

No problem. You have several megatons of stories in your arsenal. You could ride out your current stash with no shortage of words for the next millenium!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.