12 comments

General

     The car bumped along the gravel road. I could hardly wait to get to the cabin. Me, my older sister Rose, and my cousin Trevor were all going to our grandmother's cabin for the weekend. Our grandmother had found it on her land and renovated it so they could come. It was a much needed break from all their online school. Rose pulled the car up next to the small home. I jumped out and ran inside, forgetting my bag, Trevor followed. 

The first room you walked into had a fireplace and couch. A kitchen was squashed in a corner with an island and stools. The next room was a dining room with two doors. One of the doors lead to the master bedroom and the other lead to the kids room with a bunk bed. Both bedrooms had small bathrooms. 

Rose came in last carrying all of the bags. She dropped them all on the floor and went into her bedroom. It had been a long drive and it was almost 8 p.m. Our parents had trusted Rose to take us alone over the weekend. She only agreed because this could prove she was responsible enough to hangout with her boyfriend who lived an hour away.

    Trevor opened the fridge and made a PB&J. I made a turkey sandwich and poured myself a glass of water. I sat on the couch and turned on the TV. The news played and me and Trevor stared at each other as more bad news poured out of the speakers. I changed the channel to Nickelodeon. Trevor laughed.  Soon Rose came and made a sandwich too. We all watched cartoons for a while. 

Eventually  Rose changed the channel and found a movie. “We were watching that!” I complained. “It's your bedtime anyways.” she answered not looking away from the screen. Trevor grumbled as I grabbed my bag and headed to our room. I brushed my teeth and changed into my pajamas. Trevor went to the bathroom and came back with pajamas too. We read for a few minutes and then went to bed. 

In the morning Rose made pancakes. Trevor and I gobbled them down. We then went back to our room and changed into our bathing suits. There was a small river that passed next to the cabin that we would swim in today. There was a rope tied to a tree that you could swing from. 

We ran out the door and got to the bank. Trevor grabbed the rope and twisted it around his hand. He got a running start and launched across the water. Trevor let go and made a huge splash. His head poked above the water and he laughed. “You gotta try it, it's really fun!” I grabbed the rope and swung out across the river.  I plummeted into the water and came up laughing. We took turns a couple more times until Rose came outside and told us lunch was ready. She handed us towels and we dried off,  and then we went inside. 

We made our own tacos and sat down. Rose brought us lemonade. After everyone ate we changed into our hiking shoes. There was a trail next to the road that led around the cabin. We went outside and found the trail. Rose was in the front and Trevor was last.  

We started walking and eventually saw the river.                                         We crossed a cute bridge and walked alongside the river. After a while we crossed back over. Trevor and I started getting tired and we saw a fork in the road. “ You guys can go back to the cabin, I'll continue.” Rose offered. “Ok see ya later” I said. Trevor and I walked back to our temporary home.  I took out a pack of cards and me and Trevor started playing “War”. Rose came back half an hour later.

    She poured herself some lemonade. It was getting late so we turned on the TV. We all fell asleep on the couch.  When I finally woke up I took a shower, changed clothes and brushed my teeth. We ate the rest of the cold pancakes with some milk and orange juice, then we packed up.  We were too busy to notice the dark clouds rolling in. 

     Suddenly I heard thunder. Trevor jumped. I ran to a window. “Yikes” I said without really meaning to. Rose was on the phone with Grandma. “Ok” she said, then hung up. “We can't leave right now, Grams said that the river is probably going to flood.” As if to answer, it thundered. “Darn, I'm gonna miss my soccer game” Trevor frowned.

    The original plan had been to leave at 11am and get back home at 3pm. Instead we would leave at 3 and get home at 7. Rose called our parents and told them about the delay. Trevor ate some soup, and I stared out the window. The rain was falling alarmingly fast. The cabin was elevated a few feet so if the river DID flood it wouldn't be  an emergency. Rose was worried about her car though. I eventually gave up trying to catch the river flooding and watched a movie with Trevor and Rose.  After it ended I ran over to the window again. I gasped. “What?” Trevor and Rose asked in unison. I ran outside without an answer. I stood on the covered porch and stared at the flooded forest. The water was only about two feet deep but it was still scary. Trevor came outside. “Wow, Jess, do you think it will flood over the porch?” I bit my lip.

    Eventually Rose came outside and escorted us back inside. Rose reheated the soup from earlier and Rose and I had some. Trevor got my deck of cards out and started shuffling. When we finished our soup we went over to Trevor and he dealt us our cards. Rose taught us how to play “blackjacks” and we all bid over some brownies Rose made. 

    “Wow Jess, you have a talent!” Trevor joked. I stared at my pile of treats and laughed. Suddenly the lights flickered off. Rose screamed. Trevor and I doubled over laughing. “It's just a power outage” I managed to say. “I expected one ever since it started raining” Trevor smiled. I felt Rose glare even though I could barely see her. She stood up. “Whatever, let's gather some candles.” There were plenty in the dining room but the problem was we didn't have a lighter. 

     I ran to the kitchen and started searching through the drawers. It was very hard to find anything in the dark, but soon my hand landed on what felt like a lighter. I felt my way back to Rose and handed her it. She lit a few and handed them to me. I walked to the living room and started placing them around. Then Trevor would come with his candles and I would go back and so on. Soon the whole cabin smelled like a Christmas tree.

    The rain slowed and we put our bags by the door. I found some rain boots in a closet that we put on. The river would take a while to deflood so we had to wade through some water to get to the car.

    When the rain slowed to a drizzle we put our shoes on, blew out the candles and went out on the porch, bags in hand. Rose wadded through the water first and unlocked the car. Trevor followed. Soon it was my turn, I put my bag on my head and splashed around in the muddy water. Trevor put his bag in the car and joined me. We laughed and splashed each other. Rose honked the car horn and Trevor fell down, shocked.

      I almost fell down too, from laughing. I ran over to the car and got in. Trevor glared at me, then smiled. He hopped in on the other side and Rose handed him a towel. As we drove away I stole one last glance at the cabin as we left it behind. “I definitely wanna come back” I said dreamily, and we all laughed. 

August 05, 2020 02:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

Sunny 🌼
14:51 Aug 11, 2020

I finally found you on Reedsy! Nice story btw

Reply

16:16 Aug 11, 2020

lol hey sarah!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
נιмму 🤎
23:55 Aug 13, 2020

👏👏👏👏👏💕💕💕😇😇👌👌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Reply

Show 0 replies
Avery G.
16:32 Aug 11, 2020

Cool story! Great job! I love Hamilton, too! And Sarah told me about you, so hi!

Reply

18:45 Aug 11, 2020

Hi! Nice to meet you, Whats your favorite song?

Reply

Avery G.
20:18 Aug 11, 2020

Umm...that's hard. I like Yorktown, Satisfied, All of the King George songs, and many more. What's yours?

Reply

Sunny 🌼
22:33 Aug 11, 2020

I know no one asked me but like...my favorite songs are "The Reynolds Pamphlet", "Cabinet Battle #1", and "Satsfied". Ok thats all

Reply

22:56 Aug 11, 2020

I like "One Last Time", and all the cabinet battles

Reply

Avery G.
23:41 Aug 11, 2020

Cool!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
23:41 Aug 11, 2020

No it's totally fine! You can join in the conversation! Cool!

Reply

23:55 Aug 11, 2020

Make sure to check out my new story! :3

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.