3 comments

Coming of Age Fiction Friendship

Life, seen from the dog's point of view


These days humans never go anywhere without their silly metal devices. They stare at the tiny squares and are aware of nothing but whatever's going on inside the screen. I've seen humans take pictures, make video calls, do something they call "texting", take notes, watch videos, share things, play music, and play games on it. Basically, a device that holds everything you can imagine. They barely play with us anymore.


Today is Friday. My owner and I are walking to the train after a workday, and as usual, he's staring at his phone. He's in a good mood today because he got a promotion. There's absolutely nothing fantastic about that. A promotion just means more work and less attention to me. Stupid humans and their stupid ways. Why can't they play all day instead? The world has so many more exciting things than just staring at a square with a screen all day.


I turn my snout to the sky, a mass of blue turning pink. I spot a bone-shaped cloud and stand on both legs, pawing at the sky. With a jerk of the leash I land back onto all four feet, and we enter the train. My human's still staring at his device, even as he finds a seat and sits down. I sit below his seat and start thinking about what fun games we'll play today. I do that every day, but he never has time for me. Since he's in such a good mood today, it's vital to plan fun games in case he does play with me.


Soon the train starts to get more crowded. I see a teenage girl with a device on her head for music staring at her phone. A boy is looking at his device, frowning. A man sitting across from us has a big metal device on his lap. It has a silver, partly eaten apple on the back. It must have to do with food. Reminding myself of how hungry I am, I start barking loudly. The man looks up and glares at my human. He's still looking at his metal device.


The train rumbles and a young man bumps into a woman who falls over and scares a mother's baby. The mother starts rocking the baby and shouting at the woman, starting a commotion. People stare and glare. Silly humans. Always causing troubles. I look at my human. He hasn't noticed anything and his eyes are still locked to his device.


Now I start to doubt he'll even think of picking up my fetch stick and throwing it.


-----------------


Life, seen from the human's point of view


I hate the train. It can ruin everyone's mood the moment you step into it. It's stinky, crowded, noisy, and a billion other things I wouldn't be able to list in here. There's completely nothing good about it.


I was in a good mood since I got a promotion for being "Best Employee of the Month", increased by the fact that I also get to watch my favorite TV show today. I'm whistling with a smile on my face until I enter the train.


The people on the train never greet you when you answer. The best they do is grunt and glare at you from their devices. And then once it gets super crowded you know the train's about to start.

During the ride, there's nothing to do except escape into virtual reality.


Phones are super important these days. I doubt people can even survive without them. I know since my job is all about designing phones so you can enter the Utopia you always wished to exist in.


If I could, I'd ban trains from existence. I'd start an organization and lead people to march with us to ban trains. We'd lead petitions and have speeches. I'd be famous forever.


Luckily the train has come to a rumbling stop now. I walk out of the train with Max at my heels, never looking away from my phone. Have to keep track of the stocks. Suddenly I trip over a big rock, falling to the dirt ground. "Ow!" I exclaim, and quickly stand up. Max barks as I brush off the dirt from my suit and pick up my phone. It's cracked and won't turn on. "Darn, that phone costed a luxury!" It didn't, but I was too mad. My face started getting all red like a 5-year-old about to blow a tantrum because they didn't get what they wanted. I pocket my phone hastily and start walking back. It felt like a million degrees, and the sun was smiling back at me with its burning rays.


I get stopped when I reach the end of the leash and Max barks. He's stationed to the ground, holding a stick in his mouth, now full of slobber. He trots to me and sort of motions me to take it. I take it and wonder, what in the world am I supposed to do with this? I stare at the happy beagle with his tongue hanging from his mouth, and my brain screams, Throw it, you idiot! Sticks from dogs are for throwing! In a sudden realization, I laugh and with a heave of my arm, I send the stick flying. Max barks and leaps after it.


Suddenly I feel like smiling and my smile gets broader and broader as I watch Max play with the stick. I laugh the laugh I haven't heard in a while as I see the world come in color. Max comes back to me, stick in mouth. This time, instead of seeing the smoke from the train or the graphics on my phone, I see the trees and plants around me. I hear the birds, the wind, and the chatter of people. I see nature and the sunlight. Most importantly, I see Max, my forever friend next to me.


My broken phone doesn't seem to matter much now.

April 18, 2021 21:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Nainika Gupta
17:30 Apr 19, 2021

wow, Berri! What an amazing first submission! I really liked how it was from both a person and a dog's perspective - it really tied everything together and was a really creative take on the prompt! I spotted a few grammatical errors! Take 'em with a grain of salt :) 1) "Basically a device that holds everything you can imagine." (Comma after basically) 2) "I see the nature and the sunlight." ('The' doesn't need to be in front of nature...) Other than that, I really enjoyed this and can't wait for more!

Reply

Berri Liman
21:01 Apr 19, 2021

thank you so much! again thanks for telling me my errors. it really helps me :)

Reply

Nainika Gupta
21:09 Apr 19, 2021

No problem! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.