The Summoning Ceremony

Submitted into Contest #176 in response to: Start your story with someone witnessing magic from a hiding place.... view prompt

1 comment

Fantasy Teens & Young Adult Adventure

"Something just brushed up against my leg, Tish, I think it was a spider."


"I swear Jak, if The Elders hear us, a spider is going to be the least of your problems."


"I can't see anything, there's too many leaves and bushes in the way."


With a swift hack of her machete, Tish cleared a line of sight from the dense overgrowth. 


"Thanks."


"You can thank me by shutting your trap. Look, the ceremony is starting."


A drum beat began to pound in the clearing and a collective hum could be heard buzzing in the air.


"First comes the song to gain her attention."


The humming grew louder, developing into harmonious chants of a tribal nature.


"What are they saying, Tish?"


"They're speaking in the language of our ancestors. Gramps taught me a few words from scripture, but I can't make out what they're saying."


"What comes after the song?"


"Why you gotta ask so many questions, can't you just watch?"


Tish sighed before answering. 


“After the song comes the dance."


Eleven Elders, draped in their pitch-black cloaks and illuminated by the surrounding torchlight, filed beside one another. Body parts swayed in unison. The movements seemed bizarre, but it was clear that each jerk of an arm or stamp of a foot played its own purpose in the ritual. As the dance got underway, the torches around the encampment strayed from their usual orange tinge and were now emitting an eerie green glow.


"What happened, Tish?"


"She's been seduced. It's time for the final act."


A hooded figure came into view. The twelfth and Head Elder. They were pushing along a wheelbarrow towards a burning pyre.


“What’s the final act?” Jak asked nervously.


A wicked grin swept across Tish’s face.


“The sacrifice.” 


The Head Elder stopped just short of the engulfed wood and turned to address the others who were now gathered in a circle around ancient markings that had been etched in the dirt.


“We gather here today to pay our respects to Seraphina, Goddess of the Harvest. May she shine her beautiful light down on our village, bringing yet another year of lush soil, plentiful rains and bountiful crops.”


The rest of the Elders began reciting a text in the old language, while The Head Elder began throwing bits of chopped up animal parts into the flames. As the aroma of burning flesh permeated through the air, a light beamed from the markings in the dirt, filling the night sky a bright purple. 


Jak and Tish looked on, eyes widened in amazement as the clouds parted and from the heavens a figure emerged. Seraphina descended upon the encampment from above. Her celestial body took on a human form and gently floated down from the sky, until coming to a rest within the circle. 


The Elders had begun kneeling and bowing in worship.


She took a whiff of the air, sizing up The Elders before speaking.


“Animal parts again this year? Am I really not worthy of human sacrifice?”


The Elders let out a collective sweat while they continued bowing, nearly kissing the golden boots of the magnificent Goddess before them. 


“Just kidding.” 


“You bless us with your presence and your wit, Seraphina.” 


The Head Elder approached.


“It’s lovely to see you again.”


“Wish I could say the same to you,” Seraphina was particularly blunt.


“I was just in the middle of doing my hair. My Summoning Ceremony wasn’t supposed to be for another hour, so what gives?”


“Have you forgotten that we’ve sprung forward?” The Head Elder responded cheekily.


“Bite your tongue or there may be drought this year.” 


The Head Elder looked visibly distraught with Seraphina’s response.


“Your silly human tradition, how could I forget. I still have no idea why you even partake in such nonsense. Speaking of traditions, I didn’t know that you’ve started allowing children to be in attendance.”


The Head Elder looked around puzzled. 


“I’m sorry, I don’t quite know what you mean, there are no children here.” 


Seraphina darted her gaze right towards the concealed Jak and Tish. Her stare pierced right through the treeline, enough to knock Jak to the ground. Jak tried to run in the opposite direction, back to the protection of the forest. Instead, both him and Tish found themselves kneeling before the feet of Seraphina.


“Thought you could hide on me?”


The two of them looked up. At first glance, Seraphina’s youthful and immortal body appeared to be not much older than Tish.


“Who are you calling children? I’m 16." 


Tish was immediately hostile, as she often was when meeting someone for the first time.


“My, my, quite the feisty one are we?” 


Seraphina was taken aback, but impressed she was stood up to. Not as impressed as Jak however, who had just come to the realization that he had just been teleported.


“Hey Gramps,” Jak blurted out. 


Gramps lowered his hood, revealing his identity as The Head Elder


“Goodness, did the two of you follow me?”


“It was Tish’s idea.” 


Jak’s blame of Tish was without hesitation.


“Way to throw me under the wagon, dude.” 


Tish wanted to act surprised of Jak’s brotherly betrayal, but she wasn’t.


“Enough of this squabbling. You two must go home at once and pray that you’ve not just brought famine upon our village. Only members of The Elders are meant to bear a presence to the heavenly bodies. I fear you’ve cursed us all.”


“Hey, I don’t mean to interrupt your little family reunion, but I’m kind of right here.”


“My deepest and sincere apologies, Seraphina, these two are my grandchildren and they were just leaving.” 


Seraphina looked Tish and Jak up and down as a faint smile crossed her lips.


“Hold on a minute, you two aren’t going anywhere. Do you mean to tell me that you defied the direct orders of your village, tarnishing centuries old tradition, all so that you could witness my Summoning Ceremony?”


Jak had now huddled behind Gramps for safety, while Tish just rolled her eyes.


“That’s totally something I would do,” Seraphina said gleefully.


Jak and The Elders collectively let out a sigh of relief. 


“I suppose you two can stay. I’ll even let you watch The Blessing. I never much cared for these stupid human traditions anyhow, but Dad insists I go along with them.” 


Tish's heart and mind raced with excitement at the thought of watching The Blessing. Though she made sure to keep a stoneface and not express the jubilation she felt stirring inside. 


Deciding instead to respond with a nonchalant, "That's cool, I guess."


“Stand back and watch then,” Seraphina readied herself.


Dust began to blow wildly as Seraphina whipped up a current underneath, lunging from the earth and propelling herself high into the air. Her long brown hair flowed in waves as the surrounding winds strengthened. She remained hovering in the sky, bringing her palms together and clutching her chest. Her white and gold armor glistened even among the dark of night.


She closed her eyes.


In an instant, an enormous burst of energy expelled from her body. The ray of light went straight down and dispersed across the land in every direction. As quick as her demonstration started, it was over. Seraphina opened her eyes and dropped back to the ground. 


“Well, what do you think?” Seraphina asked in a cocky tone.


“That was awesome,” Jak piped up in amazement, no longer seeming intimidated by the presence of the Goddess.


“It was alright.” 


Tish was making a point to downplay the events that had just occurred, even though she was deeply impressed.


“Forgive my granddaughter. She can be quite brash at times.” 


Gramps tried his best to save the hopeless situation.


“Don’t worry, Tish, you know you kind of remind me of myself. Never revealing your true feelings, coming off cold to people you don’t yet trust, It’s an asset.”


“What do you mean?” 


Tish was perplexed and defensive.


“Oh, I didn’t mention that I could read minds?”


Tish’s cheeks reddened and she was left speechless.


“Well as much as I’d love to stay and chat, earth really does bore me. It was nice meeting you Tish. You as well Jak. Maybe sometime you both can come and visit me.”


Jak nearly passed out at the idea of visiting the heavens. 


In a flash, Seraphina bolted to the sky and was gone. Tish looked up as a drop of rain fell on her forehead.



































December 15, 2022 13:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Wendy Kaminski
04:00 Dec 21, 2022

Oh my gosh, this was great! Tish trying to out-cool Seraphina, hah! You must know a girl that age, because you have written her precisely. :) I really enjoyed this story, and I loved the idea of a less-stuffy goddess who'd appreciate someone shaking things up a bit. :) Nicely done!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.