ENCHANTED PARK

Submitted into Contest #86 in response to: Set your story at a park during a spring festival.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Asian American

It was time of the Spring Festival. The park named Flowerland had flowers in abundance. The beauty of the flowers and their smell captivated people. Before it was opened to the public the Fairy Godmother announced “I’m making this Flowerland into an Enchanted one where people who come alive can repent.”

The first to answer came up and said “I’m Lady Constance Chatterley. All must’ve heard of me.”

The second who came said “I’m Mellors who was the game keeper in the Chatterley estate. I was told I had also to repent.”

Connie said “The flowers are welcoming. The place is alive. Birds are pecking at each other for a love bond. I want to get rid of my sins here.”

Mellors is in his woodland retreat not far away. He says “I don’t see why I’ve to repent. I’ve done no wrong. Let us see. Anyway I’m here.”

CONNIE SAYS:

In this enchanted garden I have a quiet life away from all temptation. I see Nature which causes the male and the female to be drawn together. I close my eyes and pray for redemption from sin. I open my eyes to the sight of mounds of flowers all around. Without my knowledge my mind travels to the time when I had decorated the bare middle form of Mellors with wild flowers. It still stimulates me though I have resolved to abstain.

I see ducks in the water chasing each other actively. I see birds fall to the ground while seeking each other. I ask myself “Why are you here to repent? You only obeyed the body’s urge. You had only sought what Lord Chatterley couldn’t give you. You’re a normal woman and the urge to seek a man is most ordinary. Why should you repent? You’ve come to this enchanted Flowerland to do something contrary to your nature!” I see Mellors in the distance. I’m sure he is suffering as much as me. I say to myself “You shouldn’t meet or talk to him” as you’re in repentance.”

I watch the flowers blooming. They suffer no limitation. They grow wild. The bee does its job and I see the floral propagation. This sometimes creates a negative feeling in me. I’ve done nothing unnatural and still I’ve come to repent! I try to sleep but I can’t. I toss, I turn. Something is holding me down. Still I close my eyes. I dream and something else appears that I dare not name!

I get up and walk among the plants. I talk to the flowers as it isn’t sinful. Lucky flowers! They have no complaint. The bees and butterflies are plentiful and doing what was ordained. I ask myself “Why did God fit me with an apparatus that literally shouts and invites the ministrations of the male if He didn’t want them to be used as prescribed?” And now to repent! The body needs rapture caused by male hands. Something weeps within me causing me to lose myself to temptation. I try to control myself but it doesn’t work.

MELLORS SAYS:

I am not one with much learning. I’ve only been trained to handle animals – either tame them or get rid of them. Sitting in this enchanted Flowerland makes me restless. I’m surrounded by plants and stupid flowers but without Connie I feel alone, abandoned. What good are these stupid flowers? You smell them and throw them away. I grind them under foot. What do I do here? What the hell is repentance? Did I do any wrong? The woman comes up to me and says do something I dare not name. I obey. I get so close to her that I slip into using dialect with a titled lady. It shows my power? The educated lady doesn’t mind. If I keep doing nothing except repenting I feel I’ll go mad. May be I should turn my gun on myself. That would be my only way out.

CONNIE SAYS:

I know I’ve been given a second chance in life to repent in this enchanted garden. Fairy Godmother is testing what would happen if we, who are called sinners, are given a second chance. We’ve been created with a purpose in life - to increase and multiply. Certain rewards have been created in the process to see the duty isn’t neglected. I wish to say that even if I’m given many chances I’ll repeat what I’ve done. I won’t neglect poor Mellors. My Mellors who speaks to me in sweet dialect that stimulates me!

MELLORS SAYS:

I am sick of being alone here in the what garden? I’ve to learn new words! They say Enchanted garden. What am I doing here? I’m supposed to be repenting. What about? For the good times I had with Connie? Did I go after her, the high class lady? No! She came to me driven by instinct. I did what was dictated by instinct. Did I do wrong? Yes say those who are religious. Those fellows terrorize me  and threaten me with punishment even in an after world. Should I be scared? Will I get a punishment greater than what I’m suffering here without Connie? The beautiful lady who I’m sure knows by instinct what I’m also suffering from. Will my penitence prevent me from enjoying myself with Connie? Where is my gun? I’ve it loaded. I know what I’m going to do to myself. Do you doubt it?

CONNIE SAYS:

I am suffering here in this garden. What is called Enchanted garden. What is enchantment with myriad plants and a million flowers? What good are those without the Mellors touch. In repentance I should neglect Mellors but I need him. My body needs his touch. His whatever you call it but something I dare not name! My body cries for him. I know I am here to repent but I cannot. I know I’ll be punished for not repenting but I’m being punished by separation from Mellors. I know I’ll be forgiven for seeking Mellors. As the poet* has said “Indeed, indeed Repentance, oft before/I swore – but was I sober when I swore?/And then and then came Spring and Rose-in-hand/ My threadbare penitence apieces tore.” I am planning to do the same thing! To hell with incarceration in Flowerland and enchantment amidst flowers! I long for something I dare not name! I can see Mellors. I’m approaching him. He is now an arms distance away. I have reached him!

MELLORS SAYS:

I have checked the gun and the shots, but wait I can hear Connie’s voice! I hear her saying “I’m coming to you.” I put the gun away. I am thrilled. She has come close and she is saying “Let me hear your dialect. I’m with you to do something I dare not name.”

The Fairy Godmother blushes but tells herself “There is no use in getting humans into enchanted places to rue for the past. The past will be repeated! That wisdom has dawned on me. I lift the enchantment here!”

END

* The RUBAIYAT OF OMAR KHAYYAM

March 23, 2021 06:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.