5 comments

Inspirational Funny Teens & Young Adult

Sometimes, I feel like the Universe just wants to toy with me.

Every single night that electricity goes out, I always wake up a few seconds before the lights cut off.

It's not like you can say that the fan stopped and I got up cause I was feeling hot.

NO, I wake up before the fan cuts off and things go black.

It's so annoying.

I always imagine a scenario where like some random serial killer is watching over me while I sleep and the moment I get up, I see the unknown face before the lights go out.

Sometimes, I feel like some spirit is messing with me.

I'm religious so we believe in spirits/ demons and supernatural possession.

We don't do it.

No member of my family-

No wait, that's setting the bar too high.

No member of my immediate family has ever wanted to or have summoned a demon.

I think I know that for sure.

It's also the most inconvenient thing.

I wake up frazzled and now I have to stay awake because my fan isn't on.

I like to hear the soft 'whirrrr' sound it makes. It slices the deafening silence nicely.

I also like to be at a certain temperature when I go to sleep.

Another Coincidence:

Every time where I have to take some important test, some person up in the Ministry of Education always changes the format of the exam.

WHY?

It was happening since I was a kid.

We have this important exam that every Primary school kid takes to measure their intelligence in order to send them to a certain High/Secondary School.

Let's call it..

The Smh-econdary Entrance Assessment

Or

SEA for short.

So usually in SEA, you are to do; Maths, English and Creative Writing. It's all in one day.

At that time, my brother was in the class above me and they did SEA first.

The same year that they finished their exams and didn't have to worry about it, the Ministry of Education contacted all the schools and basically were like

'We're going to make the Exams harder and add Course Work for the 11 to 13 year olds to do.'

The Maths exam would have 3 Sections, starting from easiest to hardest questions.

Fortunately, when you reached to Section 3, you got to pick between two completely different questions.

If you didn't understand one of them, you could leave it out and no marks would be deducted.

But apparently, that wasn't fair.

So the MOE (Ministry of Education) got to work, shaving off questions from the Maths exam so that every question would be mandatory.

Then they gave my year course work.

I had to write a good few stories for Creative Writing.

Which I didn't mind that much cause I already knew I was going to be a writer anyway.

But, it was so heavily mandated that every kid wrote stories in a certain way.

I'm still pissed.

I had a good idea for a hurricane story and I didn't get to use it.

It was about this snake that slithered into a family's house.

And 11 year old me did research!

You don't need a hurricane in Australia for some python to get in your house.

But my teacher said it wasn't realistic.

One day, I'm gonna write a movie on that same idea and prove her wrong!

Don't get me wrong, she wasn't a bad teacher, I'm just extremely stubborn.

Anyway, onto Secondary School, also known as High School for American people.

I had another important examination but this time it was a series of examinations which determines what College I can get into.

(By the way, I aced all my tests.)

Let's call it, CXC.

This time, I didn't get a year's notice. It went down to like 6 months or something. You don't have that much time cram in 6 months when you're doing 16 exams.

It's 8 subjects, but each subject comes with two exams -Multiple Choice (Paper 1) and Structured Questions (Paper 2)

They looked for my exams specifically which were Business, Accounting to say;

'Hey, so remember SEA... good....

We're doing the same to your upcoming exams. Every question has to be answered now. We might change up some more things, you'll see it when you get there. Cool? cool.'

And I just-

AGAIN

Really? You couldn't wait like one year?

Every single time man.

I AM NOT A GUINEA PIG or some lab rat that you inject with cocaine every five hours to see what will happen.

STOP IT.

I am in University now which to be honest is going better than Primary and Secondary School combined.

And this Test thing will happen to me TWO more times.

After CXC, you can either go back to your or a different Secondary/High School and spend two more years with your friends. It's called Form 6. You'll be seniors of the school and have a cool tie that no one else has.

If you get that chance, I highly encourage you into gently bullying your friends into doing Form 6 with you.

Unless you actually liked your Highschool, don't go back.

Go to another Secondary school with your bros, and the teachers are magically nicer to you.

Plus, you can drop out at any time.

In Form 6, you have two years of exams. Unit 1 and Unit 2 then you leave.

In Unit 1, they changed up my exams again.

Again with Accounting and Business.

And in Unit 2, you guessed it!

A pandemic spread across the entire world and they had to change my exams into all multiple choice because they didn't want us in school for too long.

BUT WAIT,

there's more!

We came out of those multiple choice exams smiling and happy cause we thought we did well. I mean, everything we studied for came.

Then the MOE took all the nice, clean, perfectly shaded tests that we did and meSSED IT ALL UP!

Because we were kids, and kids obviously have money.

They took our grades and exchanged them for bad ones.

I luckily managed. I didn't get anything that bad. It wasn't the grade I expected, but it wasn't horrible enough to query.

But then my friends started complaining.

People who I knew to be incredibly smart.

But then people from other countries next to ours (cause we share the same education system) started complaining,

Then petitions started going around.

Because guess what?

The Ministry wanted everyone to pay for unnecessary queries so they'd have some money coming into the country.

So I really want to know if it's Demons or Politicians we should be fighting here.

I could pray on Demons, but I think we need to change up some bible verses to include politicians as well.

They were going to charge us a few hundred dollars per query for a lot of mistakes that they made.

Who is the mastermind of this scam?

Then adults wonder why kids have depression and anxiety about

schooling and testing.

It's because of this kind of idiocracy.

I don't even think this is a coincidence anymore.

Sometimes I feel like they're just waiting to break all of the teenagers who they know could be leaders someday.

And that scares them.

So start making a business and start moving up in life. Don't let this education system fool you into thinking you're stupid.

They're just trying to scam you most of the time.

Maybe the first person in the world to make a school was just being a nice guy/gal, who actually cared about educating people.

But that was years ago.

Education is important, but it's better with people who actually want to help you.

July 20, 2021 20:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Alex Sultan
06:21 Jul 28, 2021

Interesting story - I like the depth to it. Well written in that aspect. If I could give feedback, I'd say to avoid overusing, or using in general, the word 'just'. It doesn't add much(It sometimes undermines what you're trying to say) and can either be replaced or deleted most of the time. Deleting it entirely can add more impact to your sentences. 'They're just trying to scam you most of the time.' or 'They're trying to scam you most of the time.' 'Just' doesn't do much for this sentence, and there is more emphasis without it. If you ct...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Keya J.
04:02 Jul 21, 2021

Very deeply written indeed. It makes the readers believe and imagine the developing anger and dissatisfaction of students. And about the co-incidence part. Man! You really got me. I went through the same. In my primary years, the school conducted exams even for nursery students. And guess what? When I moved to middle school, Our school stopped taking tests of the early years and even allowed them to go home early. Well, that sucks! But I really loved your story. Amazing

Reply

14:05 Jul 21, 2021

It's cause I am angry and dissatisfied. Soon I'm coming out with a book that'll hopefully explain what's wrong with schools, the education system, the government and family too. -But not in a Boring way. I'm not gonna be writing a lame high-school essay. No, screw that. It's actually going to have characters, plot, mystery and all the good stuff.

Reply

Keya J.
06:09 Jul 22, 2021

Hah! cool. I'll be waiting for that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
14:01 Jul 26, 2021

I made one error or grammatical confusion. Note that all the exam changes that I talked about happened before I got into University.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.