0 comments

Fantasy

My name is Stacey and my best friend is Kate. We’ve known each other for all our lives, we are both 14. One day we were going to hang out but Kate got stuck at her house cleaning her basement. It was like a rats nest in there no one had been in there in several years.


When I got to Kate’s house we started cleaning. As we went down the stairs we noticed something glowing. I went and checked on it I couldn’t believe my eyes it was a portal!! We had no clue where it lead to Kate wanted to go into the portal but I was scared. I finally got the nerve and we both went.


When we went into the portal it felt strange. When I was able to identify my surroundings I saw it was normal everyone just looked the same as usual. I just couldn’t believe we found a portal I didn’t think they were real. We both got creeped out so we decided to go back home. As we kept going through the portals we just kept finding ourselves in the most random spots.


Later we took a brake and went to a restaurant close to the portal. When we got back we went to the portal. then we noticed someone coming through it. We were scared so we hid behind some boxes when we saw the person it was a guy wearing a black ski mask. In his hands we saw a knife when we had a closer look of the knife it had a residue of blood. Thats when we decided to run. When we looked behind us we saw the man but he wasn’t running he was slowing just walking towards us. I thought it was strange he wasn’t running after us. Finally we lost him and we were out of sight from him. As we walked down the road it was starting to get cold I could feel the wind on my face starting to get colder and colder. 


That night we had found a small motel that we could stay in for the night. I was up all night thinking about how me and Kate might never get through the portal and see our family’s again on the bright side at least we had each other. I tried to stay positive but in the inside I was scared and overwhelmed. I was also frightened because if that man would come after us again. finally I was able to go to sleep. When I woke up the sun was shinning on my face and there was the sound of birds chirping it almost didn’t feel real like I was in a dream. Me and Kate got our stuff and were on the road, it was a nice and sunny day. As we were walking we noticed a car coming by they stopped and asked if we needed a ride. My mother always told me never to get in a car with a stranger but I thought that me and Kate would be okay because we were together. When we got into the car he said “where to” and I responded and told him Kates address. 


Awhile later we were still on the road when the driver received a call. I heard the voice in the background but couldn’t make out what he was saying. When we got to the house he locked the doors before we could get out the door. Thats when I knew me and Kate were in grave danger. I looked around the car trying to find something Kate and I could use to protect ourselves when I noticed a gun in the glove department. I quickly pulled out the gun and said to get out of the car. As he got out the car I said put your hands up, I quickly looked to my side and didn’t see Kate that’s when I felt the presents of someone behind me.

When I turned around there was the same man we saw coming through the portal and he had his arm around Kate with a knife to her throat. My adrenaline was sky high, my head was spinning I was frozen I couldn’t feel my body, my fingers were stiff I could barely move my mouth it was of that moment I was completely speechless and not aware of my surroundings. I was able to get 4 words out of my mouth saying “put the knife down. Of course he didn’t put the knife down and I had no idea of what to do.


We all stood there for a couple of minutes until I felt something bang on my head and I was knocked to the ground it was the guy who gave us a ride. I felt like an idiot for not remembering him. The next thing I know I’m laying down on Kates basement floor with my hands tied behind my back. I look around and I saw nothing. I wondered where Kate was. As a couple hours past of me trying to get these ropes off my hands when the door finally opened and Kate walked down the stairs I was telling her to help me untie myself but she just kept walking down the stairs. She got right in front on me and said “you are so clueless aren’t you.” I was so confused as to what she was talking about. It finally hit me Kate had a portal in her basement out of everyone, she was the one who wanted to go through it and when the man had a knife to her throat not once did she flinch. She played me this whole time. But I just kept thinking why? Why know of being friends for so long? Then I confronted her and she just laughed and said “it was just too easy wasn’t it”? At that point I was so mad. I kept asking her why but she never answered me.

She got up and went to a table and started to load a gun I was really scared. A couple minutes later she came back over to me and said “would you like to say anymore words before you go bye bye”. She had gotten so much creepier she didn’t seem normal.


It was of that moment that she had put the gun to my forehead and pulled the trigger and I had taken my last breath.

April 24, 2020 01:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.