0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Teens & Young Adult

News spread quickly of the conspiracy. Bold as it was to whisper a plot against the Council, bolder it was to send a direct threat. And, indeed, a threat was sent to a noble of the Council - Harbinger Anastasia Amberglow. 

She mounted her chestnut mare reluctantly and pulled the hood of her cloak further over her strawberry blonde hair. What would her parents think of her fleeing home, had they still been alive? And Magdalen...no, no: she knew this was best. Sir Ashfall said as much. "If this letter is acted upon, the Autumn District would be without a leader in the midst of potential crisis." 

Anastasia clicked her tongue to cue her mare. As quickly as the conspiracy spread, she knew the Haven family must be aware of her situation. As royalty, they were honor-bound to protect her. As her long-time friends, they would do so gladly. She prayed the sender of that threat only bluffed when he wrote, "I will be watching."

"Anyone familiar with nobility will expect you to depart by way of carriage," Sir Ashfall explained only a short while prior, "and with an entourage. It is safest for you to travel alone, though I'm not happy with the arrangement." 

"Was it not you, Sir, that designed it?" she teased bitterly. The head knight of the Autumn District frowned disapprovingly. 

As she rode, she wondered what a man could possibly hope to gain by attacking or killing her. Yes, she was wealthy, part of the Council of Haven, and close to the royal family - so close, in fact, it was expected that she marry the prince. But eliminating her only created chaos for a short while. Despite her current status, she wasn't indispensable. If Anastasia died, another would be elected as Harbinger of the Autumn District (since she lacked any heirs). The same was true of the other district leaders.

So, she asked, why her?

Perhaps for the best, she didn't have long to ponder the question. The ride to All-Seasons was a relatively short one. 

Directly in the center of the kingdom and equidistant to the district estates, All-Seasons was the capital of Haven. Itself quite large, All-Seasons housed the royal family and the High Priest. As the sun began to dip below the horizon, the city came into view. 

Anastasia was stopped twice before entering the palace. The first, at the city's gates, a guard asked her intention for entering All-Seasons. With the dignity she'd been taught to enunciate, she replied, "I seek protection from those that wish to harm me." The second, the palace guards stopped the lone rider before recognizing her.

After riding into the front garden, she dismounted and led her mare by the reigns. A servant met her midway and relieved Anastasia of her four-legged companion. Then, feeling suddenly alone, she abandoned her grace and ran toward the palace's doors. Once they opened, she removed her hood and stepped inside. Waiting for her was the prince. 

"Elias!" She cried and sprinted towards him. Then, after a quick curtsy, she added, "It's so good to see a friendly face." 

"I would usually call you dramatic, since it's not been so long since you left home," he said slowly, searching her eyes, "but, given their circumstances..." He sighed and took her hands. "Thank the gods you're all right." 

"I'm in one piece, at the least." She cracked a smile she knew he appreciated. It faded quickly. "I'm in serious danger, aren't I?" 

He frowned deeply. "My parents believe so. They are under the impression you're only targeted because of your closeness to myself and Eve." 

"I'm dispensable; they could have just as easily threatened the Guardian, Matron, or Flame. Why go to such trouble merely because I associate with the prince and princess?" 

"We're not sure, but it means that you're not safe with us. Although we have the best security in the kingdom, we knew you were coming to us without your notice. That makes your stay here obvious." They walked the halls side-by-side. "Father has arranged for you to go elsewhere." 

"Where am I being sent?" 

He placed a hand firmly on her shoulder. "Not far. You'll be within the city, only in a less conspicuous place: the Grand Temple." 

"I'll be staying with High Priest Casimir Lance?" 

"What is it with women and that reaction to him?" he muttered mostly to himself. "He's already agreed. A carriage should arrive to fetch you shortly." 

"What of my horse?" 

Elias chuckled. "She'll be well cared for, I promise." 

"Be sure you or Gen take her for rides frequently, will you?" 

"It's bold to ask a favor of a prince." 

"It's rude to disregard the wishes of a lady," she retorted teasingly. "Thank you, Eli." 

He quirked a brow. "I've not done anything."

"Comforting me was everything," whispered Anastasia. 

"Always, my lady."

"You must the Harbinger. Anastasia, yes?" 

A quick glance toward him proved the rich voice belonged to none other than the High Priest. "Yes, Your Grace." 

"Good, you're already familiar with me, then." 

As familiar as anyone could be, she thought. Upon Casimir Lance's ascension to High Priesthood, the public fervently sought to learn more of him. Yet, despite the kingdom's best efforts, he remained an enigma only ever seen at gatherings of the Council of Haven and royal balls (even these he rarely attended).

"Abigail will show you to where you'll be staying." He gestured to a petite woman a few years Anastasia's junior. "If you'll excuse me." 

He turned his back to her and walked in the opposite direction with particular haste. She fought the strange urge to follow him. Something about his lean figure felt so familiar to her. 

"Shall we, my lady?"

"Oh, um, of course. Thank you." 

Anastasia followed the disciple warily through dark corridors lined with portraits of former high priests. Some seemed friendly and humble; others, severe and cruel. A chill ran along her spine. 

This was the Grand Temple? And that echoing chamber she'd just left was the Hall of the Gods? She hadn't expected either to be so dark and cold. 

"You look puzzled, my lady." 

"No, I-" she paused, not willing to lie in a temple. "In the Autumn District, the Temple of Win is brighter and more...colorful." 

Abigail's eyes widened. "My deepest apologies, Harbinger. High Priest Casimir would explain much more deeply than I can, but he is far too busy to do so...This is meant to be a time of solitude as the city transitions from autumn to winter. I forget the sectors don't observe the changing of seasons, being as you only ever see one..." She stopped. "This is your quarters, my lady." 

"Thank you," she murmured. The disciple excused herself as Anastasia walked into the room, as dark as every other. She set her small bag of belongings down and fell onto the bed, consumed by exhaustion the moment she saw it. 

She awoke with a start covered in a cold sweat. Her amber eyes swept the unfamiliar room quickly. No one else was there, and yet she swore someone had just breathed next to her ear. 

Anastasia dug through her bag and retrieved a silken cover. Then, quietly exiting her room, she wandered until she found herself again in the Hall of the Gods. At night, it was only eerier. 

Ominously giant statues depicted each of the seven major gods. These were responsible for the changes within the world from day and night to the passing of seasons. At the end of the hall was a set of windows; the largest was the shape of an arch. It, strangely, portrayed a different scene outside than the others, which showed the night sky. 

"Is it some kind of painting?" she asked herself aloud, slowly reaching out to it. "Why else would it show a misty glen?"

"I wouldn't touch that if I were you," said Casimir Lance calmly. "It would disintegrate you." 

She retracted her hand quickly. "Your Grace! What-what is it?"

"That is the Window of Celestia. It peers into the realm of the gods and depicts the most plausible afterlife awaiting its viewer. But, of course, this is only if the viewer is adept enough to see their fate." 

"And I am adept enough?" 

He hummed. "You must be quite favored among the gods, Harbinger. What you see is Moondale - the realm of Luna." 

"Of-of Luna? She's the queen of the gods, the very moon herself...why not Win?" 

He stood beside her silently for a few moments. "It is not our duty as mortals to question the gods. However, as the High Priest, it is mine to speak their will. Luna chooses those who represent her ideals of diplomacy, grace, and humility. Those must be strengths of yours." 

It seemed he wanted to say more, but he stopped himself. Anastasia frowned. "Those are the qualities of any good leader." 

"'Good' being the operative word in that statement, I can see why Luna would favor you. Very few leaders are truly voices for their people." His emerald eyes glanced down at her. "As for your question about Win; he is chaotic and ever-changing. Forgive my assumption, but you hardly seem that type." 

She stared again into Moondale. In the valley, a pack of wolves roamed through the trees. One glanced over in her direction and pinned its ears back. It growled. Anastasia's eyes widened; the High Priest inhaled sharply. 

"Get down!" he ordered and pushed her to the ground. Then, before she could even blink, an arrow whizzed past the place she had just been standing. 

"What's going on?" she whispered up to the High Priest.

"It seems not all of the gods favor you," muttered Casimir. 

"What does that mean?" She observed his angular features and raven hair. He was attractive, though maybe that was simply because he just saved her life. 

"Only gods can pass through the Window of Celestia without consequence." 

"Are you implying-" 

"The letter you received was a threat from a god or a devout follower. You are exactly where they want you." 

June 09, 2021 20:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.