0 comments

Drama Mystery Speculative

Michael’s eyes were glued to the screen attached to PC number five at the Biblioteca Nazionale. Beside him was a pile of opened envelopes and their contents. A measure of his focus was that despite her several glances in his direction, he had not even noticed the attractive young woman sat at the computer next to his. 
Luigi’s USB held a series of files prefixed by a message to Michael. It laid out the essence of a plot so intriguing that if Luigi had not been murdered, Michael would have dismissed it as fanciful nonsense. Apparently, Luigi had found an interesting box in the archives of the Vatican Library. It contained several books and files, all of which he had found enthralling as they contained information, which he was sure had never been made public. At first, he presumed that the box had been put together like the many others to hold blatantly heretical manuscripts, designed, and written to smear and question ‘The Church’ and its foundation. 
Luigi was not supposed to read the documents that he digitised but it was impossible to do the job without getting some gist of what each document contained. When he read some of the documents in this box, he became suspicious that they might actually be valid and because of that, they could be of extreme importance.
One of items in the box was a book recently published by a little-known author who presented compelling circumstantial evidence that Jesus was human in every sense of the word. Despite this, the book suggested that Jesus had a provable heritage that allowed him and his followers to believe that he was the Son of God in terms that were meaningful to them. None of this would have caught Luigi’s attention had it not been for the fact that the book, which could be purchased freely from Amazon, had been put with the other files in the box. The very fact that it was in the box, meant that someone must have believed that the book’s central proposition was credible. 
At the bottom of the box were six files. The bottom one contained very ancient documents written in Aramaic and Greek, which Luigi had not been able to translate at the time he created his message to Michael and put it onto the USB. Attached to this file with an elastic band was another unique file of enthralling documents. This second file was attributed to Claudius Ptolemy the famous Geographer and Astronomer and had a full translation attached to it. In it, Ptolemy outlined his parentage, his bloodline and his inheritance and he detailed the source of his knowledge of the stars and of the known world. He claimed that he had acquired his learning from certain astronomer priests in Alexandria. He also claimed that had an elder brother who had changed his name and had disappeared into the Gallic country in the North. Attached to the translation were a series of pages written in Greek that Luigi claimed had been written in code but which he was sure mentioned Jesus Christ several times. A handwritten note attached to them, which was also written in Greek was headed; ‘My Ancestry’. Again, Luigi claimed that he had duplicated this file. He stated that the documents were exceptional and that if they were genuine and they were what they alluded to be, they were invaluable. Luigi also commented that if the Ptolemy file was authentic, it may well have brought some bearing on the hypotheses outlined in the book about Jesus’ heritage. 
Of the four remaining files, one appeared to be a more recent file, which linked Jesus, the Church and The Freemasons. Another gave specific links between the Freemasons in Europe and their equivalents in the USA. The third contained a comprehensive list of lineage charts, which seemed to go back to pre-Christian times and the fourth Luigi claimed had been written using the Roman alphabet but had been put together in a code that he had not been able to decipher. 
Luige’s note claimed that he had duplicated all four, and that he still had the fourth in his possession. He wanted to return it to the Vatican library in two days’ time when security into and out of the Archives was at its weakest. In the meantime, the file was to be found in the drawer of his bedside ottoman in his apartment at Domus Paulus VI. Luigi was explicit in his instructions and stated that the copies he had made were hidden where no one would easily find them. The message said – you need to decipher the code below to know their location. Apparently, a copy of the duplicated files was on another USB and a second coded message told him where this USB had been hidden. As he studied Luigi’s notes, Michael understood why his friend had been murdered. Sitting there, reading Luigi’s note to him, he knew for certain that his own life was in danger. 
He was so engrossed in the information on the screen and in his first attempts to decipher the coded parts of it that he jumped out of his seat when the girl sitting next to him touched his arm.
“Mi Scusi!”
“Oh! I’m Sorry! You made me jump!”
“I should be the one to apologise! Are you Irish or Australian?”
“Irish!” Michael looked at her for the first time and was surprised at how beautiful she was. 
She smiled and her response sounded urgent: “My grandmother was Irish!....... My name is Laura! I am from the USA! I’m sorry to disturb you! I wondered if you know how to operate the print facility here. What do I need to do to make copies of files on the computer?”
Michael smiled at her. Her interruption had taken away the anxiety that had welled up as he read Luigi’s message to him. 
She was an attractive and welcome diversion. He caught the full impact of her intoxicating perfume as he leaned over and pointed to her screen and explained how to print off copies of the documents she was examining. He explained how she should pay for them and in the process, he could not help noticing that the page she wished to print off was one entitled Freemasonry and The Church. 
“You are interested in Freemasonry?” he asked. 
“I am interested in the emergence of the Freemasonry movement and its function.” She replied smiling. “The popular story is that they were a continuation of the Knights Templar. If that is true, I would like to know what secrets the Freemason’s inherited and why any such secrets were important. If elements inside the church were behind the persecution and elimination of the Order, why have the Freemasons survived? In my country, Freemasonry sits side by side with ultra-right-wing Christianity, which smacks of a contradiction if there has not been a reconciliation or some understanding between the two.”
“Why should things stay the same?” Michael asked softly.
Laura was more urgent, and her voice indicated that, like many Americans, she was self-confident and was not used to being questioned; “I think you should ask The Church that!” She answered abruptly. 
A few seconds passed while he thought about his options, He asked himself if it was just a co-incidence that this woman who had ended up sitting next to him had made it clear to him that she was interested in the Freemasons. Michael looked at his watch and saw that it was almost six. He had missed lunch and was feeling hungry so intuitively he decided to change the dynamic. “Would you like some pizza?” he asked her.
She came back to earth and smiled; “I’m sorry! I get so het up when anyone argues with me. I’d love to have some pizza with you. Maybe we can continue our conversation eating pepperoni and Italian sausage. Let me just get my printed copies, OK?” 
Michael helped her select the print option for the forty or more pages she was interested in. When complete, he extracted the USB from the computer that he was using. 
He turned and admired Laura’s attractive form as she picked up her hat and walked away to the service desk to collect and pay for the pages she was printing off. He shook his head as he wondered again whether it was just a co-incidence that she had appeared next to him when she did. Looking at her at that moment he did not really mind. He was certain that this Laura was far more attractive than most assassins on the planet and he smiled as he wondered which was most at risk his life or his vow of chastity. 
The USB in his pocket contained the clues that would lead to the location and retrieval of the copies of the files that Luigi had taken from the library. While he had that USB, Michael surmised that he was probably safe. In a moment of caution and without really knowing why he did it, Michael followed his newfound American Wonder Woman, Laura to the service desk and as that the attendant processed Laura’s credit card he slipped the USB into one the side pocket of her attractive designer backpack.

Michael told her that he was a priest while they were on the way to the pizzeria. She stepped sideways to look at him. Then she smiled and nodded; “you don’t look like a priest to me!” She said. He did not know whether he should be flattered or ashamed. 
When they had ordered and taken their seats Michael tested the water. He needed an impartial friend, and she might just be it. First, he told her that he may be able to help her in her research. 
“How can you do that?” She scrunched her eyes and cocked her head to one side as the note in her voice went up an octave. He lowered his voice and leaned forward towards her; “I need to tell you a story! Will you hear me out before you bombard me with questions?” 
When she agreed he told her everything he could remember about the death of Luigi, the police interrogation, the person waiting for him at his hotel and of the USB drive. He did not tell her where he had put it. He wanted to be sure that he could trust her before he did that. 
Laura had been aghast by the story he told her and was particularly interested when he mentioned the files about the Freemasons. She was just about to start asking him questions when Ispettore Cavellia approached their table accompanied by two uniformed officers. 
“Father Brennan!”
“Ispettore! Hello!” Michael jumped to his feet. “Have you found the man?”
“We need to ask you some additional questions. Can you accompany us to the Police Station?”
“There is nothing more I can tell you!” Michael protested. Cavellia screwed up his face as if to say sorry but he gestured for Michael to come with him. 
The young priest’s mind raced; “may I say goodbye to my American friend please?” Cavellia nodded; “OK!” 
Michael bent down as if to kiss Laura on the cheek. She took his hand as he whispered in her ear; “the USB is in a pocket of your rucksack.” Then as he stood up, he asked her; “where are you staying? What is your mobile number?”
Laura ripped a page from a small notebook in her handbag and scribbled her name and number on it.
“Thanks! I’ll call you!” He smiled. She saw the appeal in his eyes. 
Michael glanced back as Cavellia put a hand on his shoulder and guided away from the table towards the door and he saw her grimace her support. In the rear of the police car, Michael looked at the scrap of paper Laura had given him. She had written her name - Laura Pennington. He memorised the Hotel – Hotel Paradiso – and the number +1 756 156 6712. When the two policemen in the front seats were looking away and without making it obvious, he put the paper into his mouth, chewed it into a mush and swallowed it. 

At the same moment that Michael was being taken into the Police Station, Laura was seating herself in the computer section in the library. She planned to study what was on the USB that she had retrieved from the side pocket of her bag. As she read the contents that unfolded on her screen, she became excited and engrossed. At the end of the document Laura found a message to Michael that he had not mentioned in the Pizzeria. It said, the box is in a place that only you will know. She smiled as she realised that she would be spending more time with the young attractive Irish priest. She left when someone tapped her on the shoulder and told her that the library was closing

In the offices of the Questura, Carlotta Ponti was interviewing Michael Brennan. 
“I now know that files were taken from the Vatican Archives by your friend Father Velio.” She told him. “Given the nature of the files and of your close friendship with him I am certain that you know where these files are located. You will remain in custody until you tell me where they are.”
Michael thought hard to find true words of response; “Threatening me will not change anything. I don’t know where any files are! As I told Ispettore Cavellia, I saw a man dressed as a nun leaving Luigi’s room yesterday morning. The man was carrying a heavy looking bag and I assumed that he had taken Luigi’s laptop. Perhaps the same man had taken the files you mention. I do not have them and I do not know where they are.”
Maresciallo Ponti looked sideways at her colleague who nodded. The room of Luigi Velio had been checked out and there was no laptop there nor was there any sign of a file or files. The Hungarian cleaning personnel had confirmed that they had seen a nun leaving the ransacked the room and that Michael Brennan had arrived after they had started cleaning.
“Why did you go there?” Cavellia asked
“I was going to retrieve Luigi’s laptop.” Michael admitted. “
“Why would you do that?” Carlotta demanded.
“To find out what was on it!” Michael said innocently. He had just been murdered sitting next to me in the cinema and I thought that I may find the reason on his computer. Presumably someone else had the same thought.”
Carlotta Ponti watched Michael carefully as he was speaking and saw no signs that he was lying or being anything but being open and honest. After leaving him to stew for an hour, she gave him permission to join his friend Laura and walked him to the downstairs reception. She studied him carefully but saw no signs of deception. With the proviso that they stay in Rome he was told that they both could leave. 
Walking back up the stairs, she heard the sounds of consternation from above. She ran towards the noise and her stomach sank when Cavellia came towards her shaking his head; “Venzate hung himself!” He told her. 
Carlotta closed her eyes and hissed between her teeth; “shit!” Her expletive said it all!
 
Laura peered over her wine glass into the eyes of Michael Brennan. “I read everything on the USB you left with me. Where is the secret place?” 
Michael smiled at her and raise his own glass in salute of her directness; “I have already contemplated breaking my vow of chastity with you. I will take your question as foreplay!”
“I knew that I would enjoy Rome!” She breathed out as she responded then she swallowed her glass of wine and stood up to leave; “What are we waiting for?”

April 27, 2021 06:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.