2 comments

General

Write a story about someone posting a video on social media that goes viral.


His shoes were worn thin, with his bare feet braving the frigid temperature of the sidewalk with each step. As a homeless man, Melvin was no stranger to the cold, or even to frostbite. It was a normal occurrence for him to experience hypothermia and frozen extremities. His teeth were rotted out from drug and alcohol use. Showers were hard to come by, and strangers often tilted their noses when they passed him on the street. Due to extreme hunger, he would have fits of convulsions daily. In one year, he spent 312 of those days registered at the Emergency Department. He needed medicine, for both his schizophrenia and COPD, but he could not afford it. He could not receive a health card because he didn’t have ID, and he couldn’t get ID because he didn’t have a fixed address. Melvin was destitute. His life consisted of convulsions, ER visits, daily ambulance rides, minimal food intake, and cold weather he could not escape.

During one of his “fits” outside of a coffee shop, a nursing student stopped to administer first aid until first responders arrived. Grace cared about vulnerable populations, so she offered to go to the hospital with him – a complete stranger who was homeless without a nickel to his name. At the hospital, while they waited for hours in a halfway, Grace began listening to Melvin’s story. At one time, he had it made. He was married with a daughter and was a fisherman. In his late twenties he developed severe schizophrenia. His wife and daughter left him, and he could not continue his career. In his active psychosis states he would pee on the floor of a shelter, climb a telephone pole, have delusions that he killed his daughter, and his speech was jumbled. 

While the rest of society ignored Melvin, Grace committed to care for him, with the limited funds she had as a student. Almost every morning, she bought him a coffee. They would sit in a popular coffee shop and Grace would read to him, and then listen to him share stories. Grace became angry that the system has failed Melvin. No one should be living on the streets. Everyone should have access to medicine. People deserve sustainable food and teeth to eat with. As Grace recognized these gaps in the system, she became more passionate about social justice.

After many coffee dates and many evenings spent together at the ER, Grace had an opportunity to move to a different province for an educational opportunity that she graciously accepted. 

With a long hug, Melvin and Grace parted ways. Grace wondered if she’d ever see Melvin again, and worse – if he would make it much longer. 

--

Three years later, Grace returned from her excursion. She was accepted into a prestigious social work degree program, where she grew as a person as her critical understanding of the world expanded. For her first year of the program, Grace lived rather normally. She attended class, studied, wrote papers, enjoyed skating with friends, went to the gym, liked shopping trips to the mall, and spent many days enjoying the parks in her city. Melvin was the last person on her mind; she had not forgotten about him, but she was afraid to ask, in fear that the answer would be devastating. 

As a Christian, Grace was “church shopping” for about a year until she found a church that she felt at home at. Every Sunday she worshipped, listened to the sermon, and spent time after conversing with her new, like-minded and passionate friends. 

--

After about a year of attending this church, Breanna glanced behind her. She did a double take. Was that Melvin? she thought. There was no way. He looked familiar, but he had teeth and was well-groomed. She scanned his appearance, and then saw him standing beside one of her friends who bought groceries for Melvin. When it clicked, Grace beamed. She sprinted to the back of the sanctuary, plowing through mounds of people, and embraced Melvin. He started crying. The two had been separated for years. As they talked, Grace became elated. Melvin was housed. He was fed. He was on the proper medication. He had dentures. He played ball hockey and came to church. While Grace was away, Melvin’s life slowly turned around for the better, piece by piece. In almost disbelief, Grace’s draw dropped. Melvin then said, “Grace, I would not be here today if it was not for your support years ago. You kept me alive until I could live again.”

--

Someone caught the embrace on video. It was uploaded with a synopsis of Grace and Melvin’s story, and ended with, “No one is too far gone. No one. Don’t give up, because maybe one day, you’ll turn around in church and see someone you had given up on, thinking their life could never improve. It can. It does. Look no further.”

--

The video went viral. People across the globe liked, commented, and shared the video and caption. The video went viral not because it was funny and not because it had a burping child in it, but because it captured an inspiring human connection of two friends who found each other again, both in good health. In the comments, people were amazed by Melvin! They were championing him on, supporting him, and even looking up to him as an inspiration.  These were the same people who would have looked down on Melvin when he was at his lowest point. The video and caption proved that no one is too far gone, and to never give up on a criminal, homeless person, or mentally ill individual. Melvin’s viral story highlighted the importance of human connection, and the power that comes from caring for one another. Grace hoped that through the viral Facebook video, people would have a renewed understanding of the importance of connecting with vulnerable populations. It can save a life. 

The very man society looked down on, people are now looking up to. 

Grace is now a social worker. Melvin now runs a bible study. They still have coffee together, but Grace is no longer his care giver and no longer calls 911. Now, they sit, chat, and enjoy their drinks over laughter and smiles. 

With Grace being a social worker, she hopes that by emphasizing hope, healing, recovery, and remission through Melvin’s story it can provide hope to others; and as well, foster connections between people outside of their “normal bubble” of interactions. Melvin deserved the same level of respect on the street as he does now leading a bible study and eating well.  

April 17, 2020 16:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Zilla Babbitt
22:49 Apr 29, 2020

Here for the critique circle :). Wow, this is so lovely and meaningful! I love how you address the cause for the video, like the backstory without making it feel like backstory, and then talk about the video for a bit. You have great characters and the messages woven throughout are nicely done. However, I think there is a lot of telling in this story, instead of showing. For instance, you give the backstory of Grace, how she becomes successful etc., when a few simple words or a short sentence in the following paragraph (in church) would ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jim Murray
21:42 Apr 29, 2020

U wont believe this but i have both the illnesses mentioned in this its a story. i am not homeless though. this is a well written uplifting story,

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.