Master Richard Alpin

Submitted into Contest #88 in response to: Write about an author famous for their fairy tale retellings.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure

"Ah, yes.

Master, Richard Alpin. He was quite the character."

I took a long breath as I slowly started to turn the page.

"You mean- you knew him?" one of the children piped up, clearly very excited about the possibility that I might've once known this extraordinary man.

"Well of course I knew him!" I chuckled. I watched as the child's eyes widened.

I smiled, and focused my attention to the book.

"This, here, is Alpin," I said, and turned the book to face the children, pointing at a beautifully illustrated picture of a man with a very long, white beard and a set of very visible elvish ears.

"He was head of the elf tribe- maplewood. He was considered the high elf. The Master, if you will." I turned the page once again.

"He was known for his tribute to the elvish welfare and tradition." I then pointed to a photo this time. In the photo, Alpin looked very content with himself, as he was standing on top of a real dragon.

"He was said to be the only elf in history to have slain a dragon."

I listened and looked as the children gave out expressions of complete awe.

"You know, people used to say that Alpin was un liked by none. Well, almost none. A dark witch once threatened his power, and tried attacking him and the elf tribe."

The children looked worried, some scared.

"The witch was very powerful, but so was Alpin. He used all His power to Banish her from the lands, and she hasn't been seen since." the children clapped and yelled excitedly.

"so how old is he?" a little girl asked.

"no one knows. Some say thousands. I say different. I think Millions."

"Millions?" The children gasped in unison.

"so- how did you know him?"

"That's a very, very long story."

"Can we hear it? please!"

"C'mon! pretty please!"

"You really want to hear it?"

"YES!" I chuckled, I was glad that they were so invested in my own story. Should I tell them? No, not yet.

"Alright. Our story begins on a dark, somewhat stormy night. Alpin had just received an award from the faeries, for servicing them overseas. I was at the faerie palace, collecting some goods."

the children's awe continued.

"I had heard of him, through legends and myths, but had never actually seen him in person. When I did, I was like you. In awe of his presence, his natural charm. I was young, foolish. But He wasn't. He was so kind to me, the first time we met. We were friends ever since. We had an unbreakable bond. Soon, people grew jealous of me. they wanted what I had with him. They often wondered why we were ever friends. I was much younger than him, and a lot less mature. Then the jealousy turned to hatred, and crowds of people were saying every single nasty comment they could think up about me. I was overwhelmed by the sheer amount of hate and jealousy.

He, had seen this many times before. He told me that he saw himself in me, and that it was going to be okay. But, it wasn't that easy to just move on. The comments stuck to my brain like glue and I became paranoid. He saw this, and fled."

The children gave me glances of annoyance, but then followed with a look of confusion.

"but he wouldn't do that!" one kid shouted, while another was shouting something else. The kids began to argue amongst each other.

"hey, guys! calm down. this is not the end." they all suddenly stopped arguing and turned towards me, looking very, very focused.

"I saw him again. Around two years ago." glee filled the audience.

"We met at an old bar, in the very north of Scotland. I was out with some friends, and suddenly there he was. I could recognise him from a mile away, his beard, his ears, even his smile, was the same after all these years. He was excited to see me."

"So then why did he leave you?" a child's voice sounded.

"He explained to me that he left because of the hate I was getting. he never wanted to leave me. BUT, " I took a long pause before returning to my sentence, "He also said it was for another reason.

a MUCH deeper reason."

"Tell us!" they begged.

"Hmm.....I don't know if i should....."

"Just TELL US already!"

"should I?"

"YES!!"

"I'm just teasing, of course I will."

I lowered my voice down to a soft whisper and leaned closer to the children.

"He was forming a group of powerful wizards all over the world to construct a protection for elves and faeries against humans."

"oh my god." they gasped and smiled. It was so heartwarming when they all got excited.

"The society is called the society of F.A.E.R. which can also be known as Fae and Elvish Rights. It still exists today. I cannot tell you where it is located, as it is a very, very protective space. You have to PROMISE you wont tell ANYONE, got it? it'll be our little secret."

They nodded.

"so- can he do magic?"

"Yes. Not many know of his sorcery skills but I do. He is very very powerful, and although he is not a wizard, he may as well be."

"Why isn't he a wizard?"

"Because elves cannot really be considered wizards. and besides, He is After all, a shapeshifter."

"woah..."

"wish I could be like him."

"I want to meet him!"

"Me too!"

Boy do I have some good news for them.

"I may have something else to tell you guys."

"what is it?"

"were you lying the whole time?"

"Please tell us!"

"No, I wasnt lying."

"Well then, what. is. it."

"You REALLY, REALLY want to know?"

"YES!"

"Alright."

They watched as I took of my cloak and grabbed something from underneath the small rock I was perched on. It was my sorcerers staff. I reached out and muttered the words : "e pluribus unum" .

puffs of blue smoke filled the air as I changed into my truer self.

Master Richard Apin.

April 03, 2021 23:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.