A Mysterious Figure

Submitted into Contest #102 in response to: Write about a mysterious figure in one’s neighborhood.... view prompt

2 comments

Fantasy Teens & Young Adult Speculative

I blew out a puff of air that made my bangs fly up and then take their place again, impeding my vision.

I'd been sitting at my window staring down at the park and street view. Lately, there had been reports of a teenage male around sixteen wandering the streets at night. But anytime someone tried to talk to him, to tell him to go home, he would disappear.

I'd been hoping to see him tonight. I looked over at my clock, 12:45am. I looked out at the street.

It was a suburb so there were pretty two-car garage houses with their automatic porch lights on. The street lights lined up every two houses and the street was empty except for the occasional parked car.

I scanned for any movement but only saw an orange cat slink across my neighbor's lawn.

I sighed and pulled my sleeves down and around my palms. I don't know if it was my love for the unknown or maybe it was just anxiety but when I heard about a disappearing teen boy I got excited and began to shake.

I pushed my bangs to the side and saw another cat, black this time walk across the street and disappear behind a tree. I tried to see if it came out but suddenly a figure emerged from behind that tree.

It was a boy. I could see him clearly. He had long black hair to his mid-back, broad shoulders and his muscles seemed to bulge under his black t-shirt. He stepped out to the edge of the sidewalk and looked at each of the houses.

I leaned closer to the window and watched as he seemed to be talking to himself. He was beautiful but I couldn't see his face.

Should I go downstairs to see if I can get a better view?

As if sensing me he looked at my house and scanned it till he saw me in the window. He had emerald green eyes. Just like me.

He began to walk towards the side of my house until I lost sight of him.

“Where did he go?” I whispered, trying to look down below me.

“I'm right here.”

I jumped and turned around. Sure enough, he was standing behind me leaning against the doorway to my closet.

“What the hell? How did you do that?” I gasped, putting a hand to my chest.

“Magic.” He shrugged.

I blinked, “Magic?” I was going crazy. Maybe I'd fallen asleep at my window.

I brought my hand up and slapped myself hard. Nope. Still here.

“What was that for?” He asked, raising his eyebrow.

“I was trying to see if I was asleep.” Cause this can't be happening.

He chuckled, “I don't see how you could be related to him. You don't act like him at all.”

I raised my eyebrow, “What are you talking about?”

He walked over and sat at my desk chair, “I've been looking for you for a week. I'm here on your father's behalf.”

“My father?” I didn't know anything about my father, I was adopted after my mother died just after childbirth.

“Yes. He's my.... Boss and I'm supposed to come and give you something.” He said.

I walked over and sat on the end of my bed facing him, “Give me what?”

He lifted his finger and began to spin it around. A black mist appeared and it began to form a black heart.

I stared at it, completely baffled by what I was seeing. What the hell was happening? Had I gone crazy?

After a moment he stopped, and the black heart fell into his hands. “Here.” He said handing it to me and placing an envelope onto the top. “I will come to see you this afternoon. Do not leave the house today.” Then he bowed and backed up into my closet.

I blinked, and he was gone.

“What the fuck?” I whispered to myself.

It must be the lack of sleep. That's it. I'll go to sleep and when I wake up everything will be the way it's supposed to be.

I set the black heart on my nightstand and laid into bed closing my eyes.

What was that heart thing anyway? And he gave me a letter too, or an envelope that had paper in it so I assumed it to be a letter.

My curiosity was peaked so I rolled onto my side and grabbed the heart and envelope.

My mom, or adoptive mother, had always taught me to read who it was from first. So I sat up and took the paper from the envelope. It didn't feel like normal paper, it was thicker and heavier.

As I unfolded the paper something silver and red fell out of it. It was a necklace with an ornate silver key with four rubies along the shaft. I wasn't sure what it was about this key, but I could tell it was old by the design and shape of the key. But it had ruby's, or some sort of red gem on it, so it had to be valuable.

I shook my head and set the necklace aside to read the letter, and it was a letter.

My Dearest Daughter,

You will not know who I am. But I am your father. I watched from afar during your mother's pregnancy with you as there was really nothing I could have done. I very much wish that I would have been allowed to keep her, and you, near me till you were safely delivered. And then that I might have raised you myself. I never wanted things to be this way.

But things are the way that they are and I can not change that now. I could not come forth to claim you after you were born because I was under strict house arrest you might say. And then you'd been adopted and accustomed to your life by the time I was freed. So I had to wait until you were sixteen for my chance to establish contact.

You've grown up so beautifully and you look so much like your grandmother that there could not be any mistake that I'm your father. I sent Damien to find you, unfortunately since your family moved since you were born I was unaware of the exact house but, I trust that Damien will be discreet and find you before the moonless night.

I looked out my window at the moon and saw just the smallest sliver, no doubt this Damien had found me just in time. And not discreet at all. I looked back at the letter.

I will explain everything when I see you and when I will answer any and all of your questions. For now, I should just put things simply so that you can understand what you need to know.

My dearest daughter, you are half-n-half, your mother was an angel (literally) and I am a demon. (literally) Your mother only died because she was giving birth to you, the daughter of the most powerful demon of all. The almighty g-o-d is responsible for her death and there was nothing that I could have done. And you were in no way responsible for her death either.

Wrapped in this letter is a key, and that key is the key to your room in my castle. Inside your room is something that your mother left for you, but I do not know what it is. Your room has been locked since your birth.

Damien should have given you a black velvet box, that is something that you will need to wear from now on, as my princess. It will offer you protection until you can hone your magic and it will show that you are a beautiful half-demon of high status.

I love you very much, and I shall say it so much that you'll be sick of hearing it when we are together. I can not wait to hold you in my arms for the first time. I will see you on the blackest night and rest assured that everything will be just fine.

And before I forget, do not under any circumstances, go outside of your house on the day of the blackest night.

Love forever,

Your Father- Lucifer Black (Demon King)

I couldn't believe what I'd just read.

Me.

Lilith Robinson.

A half-demon?

And a half-angel?

This night was definitely weird.

But I couldn't deny that the parchment in my hand was real. I could feel it. And the box was real and it really did feel like velvet as I picked it up. And the key my father had written about was real, I could touch it and feel the metal and the gems.

I brought the black heart made of velvet onto my lap and found that there was a latch, it was a box. I opened it and found inside was a silver tiara decorated with pearls and black flowers with rubies at the center. I picked it up and immediately I felt a lightness like I'd lost ten pounds instantly.

I stood up and walked over to my full-length mirror. I ran my fingers through my long black hair before placing the tiara on my head. I smiled for a second as it looked really pretty against my hair and the black and red helped to make my green eyes pop.

But after a few seconds, the tiara melted into my hair and when I went to touch it, there was nothing there. I moved my hair to get a better look and something red caught my eyes.

In my ears were what looked like black flowers with a ruby center. Had the tiara turned into earrings?

I wasn't sure what to do next. Surely I could just go to bed now. I did have to talk to my parents if I was going to be in contact with my father.

I pulled the covers up over myself and tried to relax. Tomorrow was going to be a long day.

July 16, 2021 07:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Theresa Bhowan
08:51 Jul 22, 2021

I wish this was a full length novel! Definitely the kind of fantasy novel I'd read. I love this, and that cliffhanger all but made me fall off my sleep. I would have loved more details or more dramatic responses to Damien's sudden appearance in her room, but you summed it up perfectly.

Reply

Kir Fowler
18:20 Jul 22, 2021

While I was writing it I thought about maybe turning it into a story instead of a one off. Maybe I'll write a book. Who knows. Thanks for the interest. It's appreciated.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.