81 comments

Romance

You would expect me to powerlessly eat through my food, but here I am slurping the ramen. I bring my face closer to the half-filled bowl, using my chopsticks, I ambush and attack on the vulnerable. Pulling my feet up into a cross-legged position, the overly large pyjamas lay soft on my skin, keeping in the warmth at night, allowing me peace as the stars shine brightly above. I press the headphones until they plunge deeper into my ears, blocking out any noise my mind may make.

Sighing, I drink a few sips of the broth. 

I stop and look down at my reflection in the bowl, I follow the outline of my face and then rest on my eyes. My eyebrows quaver and my lips slant into a disapproving look, I tug on the cap and pull it down until my eyes could not be seen. I press until the volume goes up above the limit, I hum along to the tunes. Music is like a medicine to me, the more ill I feel, the more I intake. 

“I wonder what he’s doing now?” I ask myself. 

“He could have come home at the same time as me but…” I scoff. 

He would be here tomorrow, it’s fine. A cold cloak wraps around my body and it feels like another weight is dropped onto my heart. 

++++

“I love you”, I blurted as I awoke. I found my bed  to be cold and lonely. I missed his muscular arm that I dreamt was wrapped around me as much as I missed the smell of him. 

I needed to distract myself. 

I lightly tap the teaspoon on the teacup, the glasshouse is filled with antisocial bees and plants that climb the large walls. The flowers lay scattered on the grass like frozen flames, bringing their cool blaze to the late spring morning. A wiry man knocked on the door in a great hurry. He thrusted the flowers into my arms with an unconvincing bow and turned more sharply than courtesy allows. The bouquet was all my favourites, mini-sunflowers, white daisies and purple asters. It wasn’t my birthday, and Elijah was still to come back. But he’s the only one who knows my favourites… unless he’s back. I close the glass door and and searched for a label, a card… no instructions, no clue. 

“Elijah…” I faintly moan. “Come back.” 

 +++ 

I clutch onto my hand bag and tug at my checkered trench coat, I pull up my loose trousers. My trainers just fitting, I needed to buy a new pair. But I had promised myself that I would buy Elijah a present, and I must stick to that.  

I ran my hand along the belt rack, listening to them jingle at the buckled. I watched them move back and forth, independent of eachother but bound to the same shiny rod of chrome. My hand dropped to my side as I peered at a brown leather built. I fingered the top, smooth, silky, like suede. Over the top was an impression of leaves on a vine, the colour was more truffle than chocolate and the buckle tarnished almost black over brass. I mentally looped it into the blue jeans in the distance: a perfect match. 

+++ 

I walk home with a smile prying on my face; Elijah will love this. The darkness took over the sky like a blindfold. Stepping into the unilluminating room, I drop the bag onto the sofa and sit on the floor. Why wasn’t the door open? Why wasn’t his smile there to greet me?  I press my hot cheeks against the distant, unaccepting floor. I felt a blazing fire burn on my skin and hiccup with each wail.

 Suddenly a light ignited the room and a pair of feet scuffle around me. 

Slowly, I lift my head up. Realisation slaps me on my face that my throat swells. Elijah (still-in-his-uniform) looks up at me in a puzzled way. I gather my posture and he runs up to me from across the room. Wrapping me in a warm swaddle of his chest and arms, I didn’t want to leave. It felt as if when I was in his arms all my pain went away, mental and physical, mostly the loneliness. 

“Elijah…” I cry to him. 

“Eliana…” he says as he chokes on his tears. 

I chuckle, “when did you ever cry?” 

Elijah pushes my head back down onto his shoulder and carries me onto the sofa. 

We don’t do anything but embrace eachother. The bed doesn’t feel cold anymore. I have a muscular arm attached to my body day and night. We don’t get called out on any missions every second we try to spend with eachother. 

“What are you doing?” Asks Elijah. 

“Just writing…” I reply. “Stuff.” 

“Is this your diary? Oh…” he says as his eyebrows rise and a cheeky grin kisses his face. 

He moves in close, and pulls the book away from me. 

“We are so different,

You and I,

Yet together are balance,

As yin and yang,

Both beauty,

Both strength,

A perfect match,

A perfect bond.” 

He stops then and looks up at me with a sparkle in his eyes. 

“Are you going to cry?” I laugh as he nods with widespread arms. 

His face scrunches up and pulls me close. 

“Did you miss me that much?” He asked. 

“Mhmm…” I manage to break out along with a tear. 

+++ 

I stare at the letter on my desk. I clasp the letter close to my heart and decide whether top open it or not. Tearing it open, my hands shake uncontrollably. My tears eyes follow along the words. 

A letter to my love,

I have never been very good at talking. Whenever I try to express the emotions whirling in my soul, my throat tightens blocking me from saying anything. So I will write. I never should have put you through the army, I realise that now. I chased after things that looked good, or women who were pretty but never truly had a place in my heart. You were always there for me every time I chased after one obsession or another. You quietly stood by my side supporting me. Though I didn’t know it at the time, I loved you, you were more than just a best friend to me. I could tell you things easily and you just listened. You always made me laugh. I thought I had my life figured out, but I didn’t. Without my knowing from the moment I first saw you real love began to take shape in my heart. I only truly realised it when I saw you at camp. You didn’t know I was there, but I looked at you then and realised that I loved you. You were so different from the other girls I chased. You cared. Love radiated in your heart spilling out into the lives of all those around you. You were strong, didn’t need high heels anywhere and preferred muddy boots over clean stilettos. You weren’t just pretty on the outside you had a beauty somewhere deep within. To put it simply, I love you. 

~E

I wipe my eyes and fold the piece of paper. I walk into the kitchen with puffy eyes and a sore throat. Elijah stands over the stove, spatula in hand. I stare for a few minutes until he turns around. 

“The letter…” I croak and lean over. 

He embraces me and kisses my temple. I lean in to smell the woody scent. I move away from him and kiss his cheek. 

“Elijah…” I say. 

“Yes.” He says as he prepares for my next words. 

“I love you, but you were never a great cook.” I say. 

“What do you mean?” He asks. 

“Your pancake is burning.” I chuckle. 

Sprinting back to the stove, he drops the pan under the tap. 

“Oh… you think it’s funny?” He asks as he looks at me. 

“I can’t stop!” I shout through my fit of laughs. 

He chuckles and runs towards me. 

This pandemic has split us up, right? But it’s up to us to stitch ourselves back together otherwise the damage is permanent. 

August 07, 2020 22:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

81 comments

Akane Tsunemori
04:48 Aug 19, 2020

The story was brimming with all kinds of emotions and was fun to read. Please read my story as well. Thank you!!!

Reply

Yoomi Ari
21:50 Aug 19, 2020

Thank you so much!! I just checked your story out before:D

Reply

Akane Tsunemori
10:18 Aug 21, 2020

Thank you so much!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lily Kingston
01:48 Aug 19, 2020

Such a touching ending!! Keep up the good work and keep writing

Reply

Yoomi Ari
21:45 Aug 19, 2020

Thank you Cara!! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Joel Malvo
06:32 Aug 18, 2020

this story is beautiful your descriptions and clever use of words blow me away especially the first paragraph in which she eats ramen, i love that. also i have a friend who's obsessed with everything Korean too and keeps forcing me to listen to kpop but i don't i think their dance is cool though PS-you could really help me with descriptions if you were to check out any of my stories

Reply

Yoomi Ari
22:28 Aug 18, 2020

Thank you Vishrin!! Haha! You’re friend is smart, this is actually my friends fault for forcing me into listening to BTS but now I actually enjoy it. Maybe that’s just because I’m crazy😅 Their dance is so cool but every time I try, I just end up looking... Would love to read your stories! :D PS- Join the Korean circle😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
22:00 Aug 16, 2020

this is really good! i liked it

Reply

Yoomi Ari
22:21 Aug 18, 2020

Thank you! I’m glad you liked it:)

Reply

B. W.
22:28 Aug 18, 2020

no problem and i was wondering if you could maybe go and check out some of my stories if you havent? i'd love to see what you have to say. "we know, do you know?" is the latest one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sam T.
12:11 Aug 16, 2020

This was amazing! I enjoyed reading every bit, it was lovely :)

Reply

Yoomi Ari
13:11 Aug 16, 2020

Thank you Sam:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Doubra Akika
15:43 Aug 14, 2020

A really beautiful story! I think your writing is breathtaking.

Reply

Yoomi Ari
13:09 Aug 16, 2020

Thank you!!

Reply

Doubra Akika
13:21 Aug 16, 2020

It was my pleasure!

Reply

Yoomi Ari
22:20 Aug 18, 2020

:D

Reply

Doubra Akika
23:27 Aug 18, 2020

Whenever you’re free, would you mind checking out my recent story?

Reply

Yoomi Ari
21:41 Aug 19, 2020

Would love to:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Shreya S
08:32 Aug 13, 2020

Such a beautiful story! I loved the ending and how you conveyed that message really well throughout! Your writing style is kind of unique too, it gives me a different feel. To be honest, I saw the BTS profile picture and then decided to read your stories- so HEY FELLOW ARMY! I’m super hyped up about Dynamite 🧨

Reply

Yoomi Ari
11:40 Aug 14, 2020

Thank you for your kind words and noticing the message throughout the story! HEY FELLOW ARMY!!! I’m also super hyped:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jessie Nice
17:48 Aug 12, 2020

Such a sweet, heartwarming story. By the way, I too am in a writers block somewhat! I think you did a brilliant job with this prompt though, and your writing is beautiful. well done.

Reply

Yoomi Ari
20:59 Aug 12, 2020

Thank you Jessie!

Reply

Jessie Nice
19:15 Aug 13, 2020

No problem :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

um, this is kind of unrelated, but I have to ask you in a comment because there's no private messaging. Have you watched "Crash Landing Onto You"? I think it's called that. It's a K-Drama, so I thought you might have... did I mention I'm half-korean? ;) -Peachy P.S. This was great, I'm sorry that you have writer's block.

Reply

Yoomi Ari
21:02 Aug 08, 2020

This is definitely related!! I have watched “Crash landing onto you”. It is such a beautiful drama with great meaning. I think I’ve watched every single Korean drama on Netflix; I’ve had time to in-between work- my inspirations are from K-Dramas! Thank you for your comment and you’re half-Korean? I’m jealous!! Thank you so so much!! This lighted up my day:) Feel free to talk even if this isn’t private- I’d love to chat with you anytime. -Bee

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deborah Angevin
11:18 Aug 08, 2020

This is a heartwarming story and I love the ending; it delivers a great message. Well-written one, Bee! Would you mind checking my recent story out, "(Pink)y Promise"? Thank you :D

Reply

Yoomi Ari
20:56 Aug 08, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ava F
17:05 Oct 01, 2021

so good! could u read my stories pls?

Reply

Show 0 replies

Plz sign my petition to help save helpless cows and spread the word: http://chng.it/tmwTRXTcgq

Reply

Show 0 replies
Salma Jarir
22:06 Jan 28, 2021

Ur story's brimming with all kinds of emotions and was fun to read,with am incredible end dear !! Keep up and plz do check my story if u got time❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Cam Croz
22:33 Jan 17, 2021

Truly perfection. Amazing story! Im never good at wrting Romance, but you made it seem so flawless and beautiful!!! 💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜 I am proud my fellow ARMY.

Reply

Yoomi Ari
18:08 Apr 29, 2022

Ik this is late... got locked out of my account... thank you!! 💜

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
22:51 Dec 28, 2020

ARMAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!! AAAAARRMMMMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!! -Min yoongi

Reply

Yoomi Ari
17:33 Jan 14, 2021

Armmmyyyyyyyyyyyy Sorry i couldnt reply quicker. Armmmyyyy This makes me so happy.

Reply

. .
17:55 Jan 14, 2021

XDDDDDD We larb yoongi, but I like Jimin more.

Reply

Yoomi Ari
12:20 Jan 16, 2021

I love yoongi!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Yoomi Ari
17:33 Jan 14, 2021

Armmmyyyyyyyyyyyy Sorry i couldnt reply quicker. Armmmyyyy This makes me so happy.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Yoomi Ari
17:33 Jan 14, 2021

Armmmyyyyyyyyyyyy Sorry i couldnt reply quicker. Armmmyyyy This makes me so happy.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 5 replies
Amel Parvez
10:45 Dec 16, 2020

Loved the description;)

Reply

Yoomi Ari
11:14 Dec 16, 2020

Thank you💜

Reply

Amel Parvez
11:16 Dec 16, 2020

You are welcome💙

Reply

Yoomi Ari
11:22 Dec 16, 2020

💜

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Celeste here. Just wanna let ya know that this is sooo deep and powerful, but also fun and exciting! DONT LET THE QUARNTINE KEEP U DOWN!!!!!!!!

Reply

Yoomi Ari
15:39 Dec 05, 2020

Thank you so much.... ive just been away from reedsy for sometime for a break in life🙂 but you saying this makes me really happy and so im very grateful! 😊

Reply

Your welcome! 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀 :D

Reply

Yoomi Ari
16:13 Dec 05, 2020

🥰

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sheejee Babar
05:55 Nov 07, 2020

Again good attempt

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
23:21 Oct 11, 2020

I enjoyed this story and i think that i'm going to give this story a 10/10 :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Hriday Saboo
11:03 Oct 08, 2020

Pls read my new story if u can

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.