1 comment

Fantasy Adventure Suspense

Norman Stevens opened his eyes, still tired from the day before he didn’t notice the changes right away. Once the tiredness had finally left him and his eyes weren’t so blurry, he found himself somewhere else. He looked around, this place was most definitely not his bedroom.

 The air inside this building was damp and hard to breathe. Around him lay shattered pieces of stone from the collapsed roof above him. This building looked like some sort of ancient ruin, but that didn’t make any sense. He had been in his house just last night. So, how the hell did he end up here?

Norman then heard the faint sound of footsteps, someone was getting closer to the room he was in, maybe they could tell him where he was.

Soon enough, he saw a person emerge from what Norman assumed to be the entrance. The person was a woman. She was a little shorter than he was, with long, curly black hair. She was wearing a white blouse with a matching white skirt, a pair of black leggings and dark magenta platform boots. She noticed Norman more quickly than he had expected.

“What are you doing here?” She asked, walking closer to him.

“I have no clue,” Norman replied, “I just woke up here.” 

The woman thought for a moment, before snapping her fingers. “You must be from another world then.”

“Maybe,” Norman said, “That would explain a lot.” 

“If you’re from another world, then something or someone must’ve brought you here,” she said, “Follow me, these ruins aren’t a good place to tell you about this world.”



Norman and the woman walked out of the ruins. Norman squinted his eyes as the sun shone brightly on top of them. The area the two were now in was a desolate town. Houses and shops were boarded shut and in poor condition. 

“So,” the woman said, “This world is basically like your world, only with you know magic and stuff.” 

Norman nodded. “Alright.. So, how can I get back to my own world?”  

“You’d have to talk with Del, one of the strongest sorcerers around.” 

“Okay.. Can you take me over to him?” Norman asked. 

The woman nodded. “Eh, why not,” she said, putting her arm around his shoulder “Let’s get going to Flakinderg.” 



Flakinderg was much larger than Norman expected the place to be. People were huddled around the markets, inside a few taverns and preaching about their gods. The woman led him to a small house, with a sign on the door which read, DO NOT DISTURB

The woman ignored the sign and pounded on the door. “Del! I’ve got someone who wants to see you!” She shouted. 

The door opened a crack. “Could you not yell so loudly,” someone said, “Who is here to see me?” 

“Someone who got sent here from another world, can you send him back?"

The door fully opened, revealing a disheveled man, with large bags under his eyes. “Come on in,” he said, “Just be mindful of the mess.” 

The woman and Norman entered the house. The floor was covered with scattered books and spilled potions. Norman followed the woman into the adjacent room with Del shuffling behind them. 

Del grabbed one of his books. “Where did you find him?” He asked.

“In the ancient ruins where I practice my magic,” the woman said.

“That’s odd,” Del replied, “Normally people appear closer to a town, but I guess it is just random.” 

A bright, blue light shone from Del’s hands. “Close your eyes,” he said, “When you open them again, you’ll be back home.” 

Norman did as he was told, closing his eyes and waiting a few seconds. When he opened them again, he was still in Del's home. 

“Either I am seeing things or he’s still here,” the woman said. 

Del stared in disbelief. “What? That should’ve worked just like all the other times,” he said, then sighed. “Maybe I messed something up, let’s try again.” 


A few hours later, Norman was still in the house and Del was now sitting on an armchair.

“I don’t understand,” the woman said, “That spell always works. So why did it fail this time?” 

Del held his head in his hands, sighing. “Something or someone must be keeping him here for some reason,” he said, “Either that or my magic isn’t working like it used to.” 

Norman stared out the window, it was dark now and the lanterns lit up the roads. “So, there’s no way for me to get back home?” He asked.

Del shook his head. “Not entirely,” he said, “If we can track down what or who is keeping you here, then we can deal with it and send you back home.” 

The woman nodded. “It’s not going to be an easy task, the journey to the person who can track people and things is long and dangerous.”

Del stood up from the armchair. “I think he’ll manage,” he said, “When trying to send him home, I noticed something odd.” 

“What was it?” Norman asked. 

“You’re a magician,” Del replied, “Also known as a mage in this world.” 

Puzzled, the woman asked, “Wait, how’s that even possible? He’s from another world without magic.” 

Del sighed. “I’m not really sure,” he admitted, “Maybe he was born in this world, but then sent to another world.” 

“That makes sense,” the woman said, “But what would be the reason for his arrival?” 

“Like I said, I’m not really sure,” Del replied, “But he has to be here for a purpose, just another reason to track this thing or person down and get him back home.” 

“And how am I supposed to find this person who tracks?” Norman asked. 

Del looked to the woman. “Celestina,” he said, “I think you should be the one to lead him to the person.”

Celestina put her hands on her hips. “Yes!” She exclaimed, “You can count on me to do that.” 

Celestina grabbed Norman’s wrist, dragging him out of the house. 

“Keep your guard up!” Del shouted to them, “I’ve heard rumors that the cursed one has returned!” 


Norman watched as Celestina started up a fire. She had already gathered up enough wood for the flames to devour and she had also packed some food for the journey. She seemed like the perfect person for this task. 

“Alright,” she said, standing up, “The fire is all done.” 

Norman stared at the dancing flames. “You seem to know what you’re doing,” he said.

Celestina grinned. “Of course I do,” she exclaimed, “I’ve actually been waiting for something like this to happen.” 

“Well, you’re doing a great job,” Norman said, “So… what exactly did Del mean when he said the cursed one has returned?” 

Celestina threw a packet of food at Norman. “Well. The cursed one is basically a dark sorcerer. He caused a lot of damage when he was attacking this world, that’s what caused those ruins to be destroyed. A few years ago was when Del managed to weaken the cursed one and seal him away in a secret location that only he knows about. But, now people have started seeing him or at least they think so and it’s starting a whole lot of panic and drama.” 

Norman listened intently as Celestina spoke. “So, has he really managed to escape?” 

“I really doubt it,” she said, “Well, I doubt that he escaped by himself. I have a feeling someone set him free.” 

Norman looked at the fire, it was already dying down and the light was growing dimmer and dimmer. Celestina stood up, stretching her arms over her head. 

“Well, I’m going to hit the sack,” she said, “You should get some rest as well. I’ll see you in the morning.” 



Norman woke up to the sound of rustling. He didn’t stand or sit up, he just stayed still and listened. It sounded as if someone was looking through the packs that Celestina had brought. Norman turned his head, only to see a boy rummaging through the packs. 

“Not you again,” Celestina groaned as she stood up, walking towards the boy, “Can’t you stop your thievery for one day?!” 

The boy stuffed some stuff in his coat pockets. “I have no idea what you’re talking about, Miss Celestina,” he said, a hint of deception in his voice.

Celestina crossed her arms. “Oh please,” she said, pointing at the packs, “Why are those open and half empty then?” 

The boy shrugged. “I dunno,” he lied, “Those were like that when I got here.” 

“He's lying, I saw him searching the packs.” Norman confirmed. 

Celestina grinned. “Thank you Norman.” 

“Ah, come on!” The boy whined, “Why did you have to tell the truth?!” 

“Just sit down,” Celestina said, “I’ll deal with you later.” 

The boy sat on the ground near the dead fire. He held his knees to his chest.

Norman leaned close to Celestina. “Who is that boy?” He asked. 

Celestina sighed. “He’s the youngest son of a wealthy family in Flakinderg,” she explained, “Though his family never seemed to teach him some proper manners.” 

“You know I can still hear you right,” the boy said, “And do have manners!” 

“Shush! I’m not talking to you,” Celestina said, “Anyway, he must’ve followed us out here thinking that he could steal some of our stuff.” 

“Should we take him with us on this journey?” Norman asked, 

Celestina turned around to face the boy. “Okay Zeph,” she said, “Since we have no other choice, you can tag along with us.” 

Zeph stood up. “Wonderful!” He exclaimed. 

“But first,” Celestina said, pointing at the packs, “Put all that stuff back.” 

Zeph sighed, but started returning the stolen items to the packs they were once in. 



The woods surrounded the three travelers, casting dark shadows around them and becoming a more confusing maze the further the three went. Norman looked at the trees. They were taller and had more leaves than any other tree he had seen in his own world.

“Stop,” Celestina said suddenly, “Stay still and keep an eye out.”

Norman and Zeph froze in their tracks. The three stayed like this for a few seconds. Norman noticed that Celestina was tracking something with her eyes. The thing appeared in front of them, lowering its head to the ground and sniffing. It then looked up sharply and growled. 

“Well.. shit,” Celestina cursed, “It saw us.” She took out a black and blue knife, getting into a defensive stance. 

Zeph dug through his coat pocket, before pulling out some cards. “I’ve got this,” he whispered and began to study the cards, before pulling one out and tossing it onto the floor. He closed his eyes and snapped his fingers. 

Nothing happened. The card just lay on the ground, while the creature growled even louder, before it began roaring.

“Oh curses!” Zeph said, fumbling with the remaining cards. 

The creature charged at Zeph, its jaws wide open and revealing the hideous blood stained teeth.

Norman acted fast. He grabbed Zeph by the waist and tucked him under his arm, before jumping in the air and grabbing a sturdy tree branch. He had barely managed to avoid being bitten by the creature's teeth. 

Celestina threw her blade into the creature’s side, causing it to screech loudly in pain. Celestina ran to the creature, pulling her blade out before turning sharply and stabbing the creature in the head. The creature dropped to the ground, a pool of thick, dark blood coating its body, the ground it lay on and the blade of Celestina’s knife. 

Norman let go of the tree branch and set down Zeph. He looked at the slowly dying creature. “What the hell is this thing?” He asked.

Celestina wiped the blade of her knife clean with a rag. “It’s called a Shriken,” she replied, “They’re extremely dangerous creatures, attacking people without hesitation. They’re also difficult to kill, but thanks to your little stunt, I managed to get the advantage.” 

Zeph picked up the cards on the ground. “That should’ve worked,” he complained, “Why didn’t it do a thing?” 

Celestina walked up to him. “It’s because you’re still training up your magic,” she said, “Of course you’re not going to have that ability just yet.” 

Zeph pouted. “Ugh! But, you’re also still training and you can use your magic!” 

“That’s because I’ve been practicing for way longer,” Celestina said, “And I’m much older than you are.” 

Zeph crossed his arms, looking away from her. “Whatever,” he said, “... Thanks for saving me from that creature Norman..” 

Norman nodded. “It was no problem really,” he said, “I think we should get back on the move. We don’t want another one of those creatures attacking us.”

Norman and Celestina started walking, but Zeph didn’t move immediately. He stared at the creature. “Is this one of the cursed one’s creations…?” He muttered under his breath. 




“Aaaaand we are finally here!” Celestina announced loudly, “Here’s the town of Telihann.” 

Norman looked around. The place seemed to be practically abandoned. No light’s could be seen in the houses and no people were outside.

“Is this place abandoned or something?” Zeph asked, also looking around.

“Sort of,” Celestina said, “This place used to be where the cursed one lived. So, the people all moved into the neighboring towns and forgot about this place.” 

“And the person who tracks things and people lives here?” Norman asked.

“He sure does,” Celestina confirmed, “Now let’s go to his home.”

The three walked through the long, abandoned roads until they finally reached a large house, one that was in much better condition than the rest.

“Well, here it is,” Celestina said, walking up the door and knocking, “Hey, are you in here?” 

The door flew open, startling Norman and Zeph slightly. 

“Come on,” Celestina said, already entering the house, “He’s waiting for us and trust me, he is not a patient person.” 


The inside of the house was spotless, not a speck of dust or grime could be seen. Plenty of spell books were laid atop the tables. 

“Miss Celestina Tarin,” a voice said from the darkened staircase, “What brings you here today?” 

“The person behind me got transported here,” she said, pointing to Norman, “Del says he is being kept here by someone or something.” 

A person emerged from the shadows, looking at Norman with fascination. “Interesting,” he said, “He’s from another world, yet he possesses magic?” 

Celestina nodded. “Yeah, it’s really strange,” she said, “Do you think you can figure out who brought him here?” 

The person nodded. “Of course I can,” he said, “But first, let me figure out the origins behind his magic.”

The person held Norman’s hands in his own, closing his eyes and concentrating. He suddenly opened his eyes wide and backed away from Norman.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” Celestina asked, staring at the two in confusion.

The person pointed a shaky hand at Norman. “He was brought here by the cursed one,” he said, “And that is because.. Norman is the son of the cursed one.”


December 10, 2022 04:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Wendy Kaminski
04:33 Dec 19, 2022

Oh wow, I did not see that coming... but you'd think they might have! Great plot twist there at the end, and really engrossing story all-around, with interesting and original story-telling. Thanks for sharing this terrific tale!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.