0 comments

Fantasy Teens & Young Adult Urban Fantasy

It was a typical four o' clock in the afternoon for Fay the Fairy. Slow and relaxed. The Fairy family ran their Cafe from the Fairies' home: The Glen.

"I'll have a cup of Rose Raspberry Tea!" said a Customer.

"And I'll have Chamomile with Honey!" said another.

"Coming right up! That'll be 3 Glyphs for each of you." the mother Olivia answered.

"Fay, Catrina, you two are old enough that either of you will be able to run this Cafe someday. That's why I will be testing you from this point to determine who I should pass this Cafe down to. After I have chosen who the new owner will be, I will retire." said Elvin, the owner.

"I won't disappoint you, Father!" Corrina answered.

"Fay, I need you to go to the Bakery and ask Sheena for 4 Loaves of Bread, 6 Baguettes and a Box of Chocolate Chip Cookies. Corrina, I need you to go to the Dairy and ask Seamus for 8 Bottles of Milk, a Roll of Cheddar, and 2 Pounds of Cheese. Both of you watch out for Ogres!" Elvin instructed.

Fay fluttered to the Bakery. On her walk, an Ogre Bandit ambushed Fay.

"Listen up, Girlie, give me all of your valuables, and I might just let you live, but if you try to run, I won't hesitate!!"

Fay tried to run away from the Ogre Bandit but the Ogre gave chase and proved too fast for Fay. The Ogre grabbed Fay by her neck, hoisted her up, and lifted his club.

"Can't say I never warned ye, Girlie! You'll be easier to rob after I've killed ye!"

Just as the Ogre's club was about to come down on Fay's head, the tip of a sword pushed through the Ogre Bandit's Chest. The Ogre dropped Fay to the ground. A swinging noise could be heard and suddenly a sword cut through the Ogre Bandit's neck, sending his now severed head in the air. Four knights from the Forest Guardians stood before Fay.

"Are you alright, ma'am?" Asked one of the Knights.

"Oh...oh. Yes. I'm okay. Thank you!" Fay answered, and continued on her way.

Fay stopped when she smelled the wonderful Aromas wafting through the Bakery. She entered the Bakery and waited behind a line. Sheena the Baker greeted Fay. "Good afternoon, Fay. Need some Bread for the Cafe?"

"Good afternoon, Sheena, and yes, I need 4 loaves of Bread, 6 Baguettes and a box of Chocolate Chip Cookies." Fay answered.

"Sure, I'll get that right away. That'll be 20 Glyphs!" Sheena said.

Fay walked home carrying freshly baked goods. On her way back to the Cafe, Fay ran into her childhood friends, a Nymph girl with purple hair and eyes named Talia, a blue-haired Nypmh boy named Zan, and a pink-haired, tan skinned Nymph girl named Blossom.

"Hi, Fay! It's nice to see you!" Talia greeted.

"How are things going at the Cafe?" Blossom asked.

"Hi, Blossom. Hi, Talia. Hey, Zan! I'd like to stay here and chat, but I need to run some ingredients back to the Cafe!"

"Blossom and I were gonna go hang out at the Lily Pond. Maybe when you're done running supplies, you can join us!" Talia replied.

"I'd love to join you, but I'll have to see what my parents say, first...." Fay said.

"Well, we'll be waiting for you at the Lily Pool! So you know where to find us if your folks say yes!" Blossom replied.

"I hope to meet you there!" Fay called as she fluttered back to the Cafe.

When Fay returned, her mom was tending to the last customers of the day at the front counter.

Fay presented the bag of Breads to her parents and asked "Mother, Father, Talia and Lily invited me to the Lily Pool this evening. Can I join my friends there, tonight?" 

"Well, I don't see why not. It IS almost time to close for the day, anyway! I'm sure Corrina wouldn't mind tending the counter until closing time!"

At that moment, Corrina returned with the Dairy Products in a burlap sack.

"Very good, Corrina!"

"Goodbye Mother, Father, Corrina, I'll be back before nightfall!" Fay called out on her way out.

Fay fluttered off to the Lily Pool-a small Waterfall Lake where Water Lilies grew in abundance. The young Nymphs used the Lily Pond as their personal Swimming Pool and Hangout Spot. Talia and Blossom were waiting for Fay on rocks on the edge of the lake, dipping their feet. Talia and Blossom waved when they saw Fay fluttering over.

"Hi, Fay!" Blossom shouted.

"You made it!" Talia said.

"Hi, Blossom! Hi, Talia! I made it. How's the Water?" Fay greeted.

"It's perfect! Try it for yourself!" Blossom replied.

"So how are things at the Cafe?" Talia asked.

"Alright, I guess. Father says he's testing my sister and I to determine who should inherit the Cafe when he retires."

"So your Dad is planning on quitting? You must be excited about running the Cafe someday!" Talia answered.

"Actually, can you guys keep a secret? Personally, I think I'd like to be a Forest Guardian instead!" Fay said.

"That sounds amazing!" Talia said encouragingly.

"I hope your parents will take it well...." Zan said.

"Let's go for a swim before the sky gets dark and the water gets cold!" Blossom chimed in.

And so, Fay and her friends swam, flew and played at the Lily Pool until it was almost dark. 

On her way back Fay took a shortcut through the woods and discovered a Grove where an injured Griffin was laying under the cover of a Willow Tree. Several Arrows pierced it's flesh, including it's wing. Fay opened her canteen and offered the wounded beast a drink of Water. The Griffin drank the water, but snarled when she tried to pull out one of the arrows. For a brief moment, the injured Griffin locked eyes with Fay, and the two looked into one another's souls. Fay broke her gaze with the noble beast and continued on back home.

Fay knocked on the door and said "Mom, Dad, I'm back before dark, like you asked!"

"Welcome home, honey!" Olivia greeted. "Glad you came home before dark!"

"The day's dishes are waiting for you in the kitchen sink." Elvin said.

Fay woke up at the break of dawn to sneak out of the Cafe into the woods. When she returned to the Willow Tree by the Rocky Outcrop, she happily noticed that her Griffin friend was still there, albeit sound asleep. Gently, Fay removed the first two Arrows sticking out of the Griffin's side, then she examined the Arrow lodged in the beasts' wing more closely, and realized that removing this arrow would be a little more complicated than simply grabbing it and yanking it out.

Fay was startled away from the Griffin by the Griffin twitching his hind legs violently in his sleep. Noticing a fallen tree branch that was pointed at the end, grabbed it and walked towards a nearby stream.

Aiming carefully, Fay threw the pointed tree branch at the stream and pierced a Salmon. Fay brought the Salmon on a Stick over to the half-asleep animal and sat by him, waiting for him to wake fully. Smelling the tantalizing aroma of a fresh fish, the half-asleep Griffin fully awakened, then cautiously took a bite out of the fish on a stick.

"Glad you enjoyed your Breakfast! I have to go to work, but I'll come back later!" Fay said with a smile to her new friend.

And so Fay hurried back to her Family's Cafe before the family noticed she snuck out that morning. She climbed up the wall and snuck back into her own room through her window and slipped back into bed, pretending to have just woken up.

Fay started the first fresh pots of Coffee and Tea for the day while Olivia worked the front counter. Meanwhile, Corrina was helping Elvin cut up Vegetables and Fruits in the kitchen.

The first to walk in for the day was Corrina's future husband, Petten.

"Hello, Fay! Can I see Corrina, please?" Petten asked.

"Petten!!" Corrina greeted affectionately.

"Hi, Corrina, would you like to be my date for the Blossom Festival Dance?"

"Oh, Petten, I'd be delighted to go with you to the flower dance!" Corrina said, wrapping her arms around her boyfriend and kissing him on the cheek.

"Wonderful, now how about some dark Coffee? And a 3 Cheese melt?"

Corrina made his sandwich and poured and served Petten his Coffee, and Petten paid the Glyphs and a generous tip.

Fay walked out of the kitchen to stock pastries on the pastry window just as a Fairy Family with a kid and a baby walked in. As Fay worked, the only thing that was constantly on the back of her mind was the Griffin from last night...

Fay snapped out of her thoughts when Zan walked into the Cafe.

"Hey, Fay!" Zan greeted.

"Hi, Zan! What can I do for you?" Fay answered.

"Can you make me a Mocha Latte, Please?" Zan asked.

"Sure! Coming right up!"

And so, Fay, Talia, Blossom and Zan sat together talking and drinking Coffee and Tea.

"My sister is going to the Blossom Festival with her boyfriend." Fay said.

"So, Blossom, are you going to the Blossom Festival?" Talia asked.

"I think so. How about you, Fay?" 

"Well, to be honest, I haven't decided yet. On one hand, it's the same thing every year, but on the other hand, the Cafe is closed that day, so it's something to do on a day off..." Fay said.

Fay would never tell anyone, not even her own parents, but secretly she hoped that Zan would ask her to the Dance at the Blossom Festival.

"Well, Fay, I think it's time for me to leave!" Blossom said.

"Goodbye, Blossom! See you next time!" Fay said.

When Blossom left, Fay cleaned up Blossom's spot at the table and bussed her dirty dishes to the kitchen.

"Fay, We have some To-Go orders to fill, I'll take care of Sheena's To-Go order, I'll need you to deliver a Hot Chocolate to the Apothecary."

Fay went back to the kitchen to brew some Hot Chocolate and some Herbal Tea and pour them into to-go cups. The first place Fay went was the Apothecary.

On her way to the Apothecary, Fay ran into Zan as he was sitting by the river.

"Oh, hey, Zan!" Fay said shyly.

"Hi. Just thought I'd chill." Zan answered.

"So, Zan, Have you thought about who you're gonna take to the Blossom Dance?" Fay asked shyly.

"Well, actually, I was...well....I was planning on asking Camellia to go to the dance." Zan said awkwardly.

Fay shook off her disappointment and said "Ok, well then I hope you and Camellia have fun at the dance."

Fay swallowed her emotions and headed to the Apothecary.

"Excuse me, Aspin, it's Fay from the Cafe, I have a Hot Chocolate for you!" Fay said standing opening the door inside.

Fay walked up to the counter. An elderly Fairy Man with a white mustache and goatee smiled and placed 3 Glyphs on the countertop.

"Thank you, Fay! I can't have a lot of Caffeine at my age. How are things at the shop?"

"Oh you know, the same old, same old..." Fay said, taking Aspin's payment.

"I'd like to buy some bandages and an Ice Dragon Scale?" Fay said.

"That'll be 8 Glyphs." Aspin said, handing the goods to Fay.

"Here you go, Aspin. 8 Glyphs. Enjoy the Hot Chocolate!" Fay said, paying the fee.

"Well, have a good day, Fay!" Aspin said.

"You too!" 

On her way back from the Apothecary, Fay crossed through the woods to the Willow Tree Grove to see her new "Friend".

"Hello. I brought you some tea!" Fay said.

Fay removed the lid from the to-go cup and presented the cup to the Griffin. The Griffin sniffed the contents, then proceeded to calmly taste the Tea, then purred.

"You're welcome..." Fay said.

As the Griffin sipped it's tea, Fay pressed the numbing Ice Dragon Scale against the Griffin's damaged wing, and when it was too numb to feel anything, Fay carefully pulled out the Arrow tip and applied Bandages to the hole.

"...You know, I haven't given you a name yet. I think I'll call you...Arrow Head!" Fay said.

The Griffin purred.

And so, Fay and the Griffin sat under the tree together. Fay's eye fell on the head of the broken arrow and couldn't help but notice that the Arrow Head was the perfect size and shape for a spear. Fay got up to look for a Branch that would be light, yet sturdy, perfect for a spear.

As soon as Fay found the perfect branch, Fay removed it from a Tree, while offering an apology to the tree and thanking it for it's gift. Quickly attaching the arrow to the tip of the branch, Fay looked over her makeshift Spear with pride. It was at that moment when an Orc appeared from behind the bushes, bone club in hand.

"Ah, I see ye found that Griffin I've been lookin' fer! I shot the creature down with an arrow a few days ago and lost track of it since, too bad 'e survived, though...To thank ye, I won't kill ye, so long as ye don't get in my way!!"

Fay winked at the Griffin, and ran away. After running several feet, Fay quietly turned around and hoisted her spear in the air, ready to throw, aiming carefully.

"PLEASE let this hit....." Fay thought to herself.

Meanwhile, the Griffin snarled at the Orc as the Orc lifted it's bone club up over his head.

A voice from within Fays heart whispered to her "Throw it. Throw it now."

Fay closed her eyes and thrust her makeshift spear with all her might, when she heard a scream and the sound of something heavy colliding with the ground, Fay opened her eyes to see the Ogre lying face down with the spear embedded in the middle of his back, blood pooling under his chest.

"Fay? Are you alright?" Fay turned to look towards the source of the noise and saw Talia and Blossom standing behind a tree, looking at her.

"Blossom? Talia? What are you doing here?" Fay said.

"We were walking through the forest when we heard yelling. What happened?" Blossom asked.

"I found this Griffin injured in the Woods, and I felt sorry for it, so I've been nursing it back to health in secret, but you have to promise not to tell anyone about this yet!" Fay pleaded.

"Don't worry, we won't tell a soul!" Talia said reassuringly.

And so, Talia and Blossom helped Fay bury the Ogre's body. Swearing to secrecy, they went home in silence.

Tomorrow was the Flower Festival. It was on this day that the blossoms on all of the blossoming trees were in bloom. The Fairies and Nymphs celebrated by having a Bloom viewing party, followed by a community picnic with a concert and dance.

Fay just stood over the punch bowl at the banquet table, staring at her own reflection. Fay heard Zan's voice and saw Zan and Camellia talking to each other and holding hands.

Fay couldn't take it anymore. She left the glade.

The grove was just within sight on the horizon when a loud commotion coming from the park, when she turned around, she saw Ogres ransacking the place. They attacked guests, destroyed the banquet table and several vendors booths, and smashed flowers and trees. The Fairies fought back, but they needed an extra edge, so Fay rushed to the Creek.

When Fay got to the creek, she gasped when she realized that the Griffin wasn't there anymore. "Arrow Head?!?!?" she shouted.

Fay hurried back to the Glenn when an Ogre ambushed her, and just barely missed her with his sword. It was then that Arrow Head leapt down on top of the Ogre and mauled him.

"Arrow Head! You're ok...and you're FLYING again!" Fay gasped.

Arrow Head purred.

Getting an idea, Fay jumped on top of Arrow Head's back.

"Let's go, Arrow Head, we have a Festival to save!" she said.

Arrow Head shrieked and took off.

The biggest and strongest Ogre was the last Ogre still alive and fighting at the Flower Festival. The Forest guardians had fought valiantly, but several guards were killed, and the ones who weren't killed were getting tired.

"Ha ha ha...is THIS the best you can do? Pushovers. You're all pushovers!" The Ogre taunted.

The Ogre raised it's large sword. "This is for our dead buddy!"

Before the Ogre could bring it down, a Fireball shot flat into his face, burning his skin and blinding him. The Fairy citizens and Forest Guardians looked on in amazement as a Griffin darted down on the monster and pecked his throat open, killing him instantly.

The Griffin landed gracefully, bowed, and Fay slid off of his back.

The citizens of the Glenn cheered. Fay blushed.

"Thank you, Fay, you saved our lives!" Corrina said.

"We owe you for this!" Petten attested.

"Hey, Fay..."

Fay turned to see Zan walking towards her.

"...Zan?"

"Yeah, Fay....I'm sorry. I didn't realize just how badass you really are. Camellia and I broke up, we're through. So...maybe...we could go to the Lily Pool together." Zan said bashfully.

There was a pause from Fay, followed by "....I'd like that, Zan!"

Then the General of the Forest Guardians stepped forth.

"Young lady, that was a tremendous act of courage, I would be honored to make you a Forest Guardian!" he said, offering his hand.

Fay accepted the Handshake.

"It would be my pleasure, sir!" Fay answered.

A few months later, Elvin retired. Corrina ended up marrying Petten and inheriting the Fairy Cafe, and Fay and Arrow Head defended the Glenn from monsters.

May 08, 2021 02:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.