3 comments

Friendship Suspense Thriller

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

"Please, don't do it" were the last words uttered out of Kaitlyn Dormier's mouth. This is the story of how she died. We will start at the beginning, the day before she speaks those final words. 

Kaitlyn woke up like any other day and checked her phone. The time read 6:30am, time to get up for senior classes. Thankfully she was almost through the year and only had a few weeks left of actual courses before graduation. She got out of bed and grabbed her clothes before stumbling to the bathroom for a shower. 

She came down the stairs to see her mother preparing breakfast for the two of them. It had been her and her mom for some time, and she had become accustomed to the quiet mornings munching on eggs and toast. Kaitlyn greeted her mother and pecked her cheek before sitting down and taking out a book to read with breakfast. Upon opening this book, a note fell out. A little confused, Kaitlyn picked up the mysterious message and unfolded it. In small letters, centered on the small page, stated the words, "You will die tomorrow." 

Kaitlyn dropped the note like it burned her hands the second she read it. Her mother gave her a wary glance and spotted the note on the floor. She reached for it under the table, and Kaitlyn snatched it up quickly. Her mother started to question her about what had made her react in such a way, but Kaitlyn shrugged her off, stating that it was a stupid note from someone at school before putting it back in her book. 

On her way to school, Kaitlyn stared out the window of her mother's car, wondering who could have put that note in her book. That book had been sitting on her shelf for two days. She had chosen it randomly to occupy herself for the day out of her bookshelf. Who could have known she would pick that book? No one. That was the logical answer. It seemed impossible that someone could predict such a strategic move. Was it that far-fetched, though? She took this specific book out every couple of weeks and had loved it for years. Did the person just see the worn cover and deduce that she would pick it up eventually. The note was so specific, though, "You will die tomorrow." It had to have been placed in that book in the past two days. Kaitlyn did not know if that meant she would die that day or the next because of the two-day gap since she had picked the book up. Deep in her thoughts, Kaitlyn didn't realize that her mother had parked the car and was waiting for her to leave. She quickly got together and kissed her mother before getting out of the vehicle. Not giving her mother a chance to question her daze. 

Her school day was a blur. The whole day, all Kaitlyn could think of was the note. Who had placed it there? Who would want her dead? Why did they warn her? She had so many questions and no visible answers. Her few friends noticed she was on edge and asked her at lunch if something was wrong. She kept quiet and said that she was fine and just tired. Finally, her best friend Callie raised her eyebrow as if to say, "I know you're not telling the truth." Kaitlyn texted her under the table that she would tell her later.

After school, Callie and Kaitlyn walked to Callie's car. Callie was giving her the eye since they walked out of the school doors. The second they got in and closed their doors, Callie laid into her. 

"So what is it? Why have you been so spaced out today?"

Kaitlyn sighed heavily and told her everything that had happened that morning and all of her loose theories. Callie looked like she had seen a ghost by the time Kaitlyn had finished explaining, "So you mean to tell me that someone is trying to kill you? Why you? You're just a high school student."

Kaitlyn nodded solemnly and stated, "I don't know why. I just know I found this note. Which means someone put it there. In my room." 

She ran her hands through her hair and pulled the book out of her bag. Kaitlyn passed the note to Callie, and she turned pale again. 

"I think I know this handwriting." She whispered, seemingly scared of the words coming out of her mouth. Kaitlyn's head shot out of her hands, and she looked over at her best friend, "You're sure you recognize it?"

"I'm not certain, but I've got a good idea of who it might be." Callie replied before starting her car and pulling around the school's parking lot, "And we're gonna pay him a visit." She finished.

The two girls pulled up in front of an innocent-looking suburban one-story house. 

"This is it?" Kaitlyn questioned, looking at the well-kept lawn and the recently swept doormat. 

"This is it," Callie replied before undoing her seatbelt and getting out of the car, "His name is Kalvin Friedrick. He's one of the geekier kids in our class but a total creep behind closed doors." 

Kaitlyn's anxiety grew with each step towards the light blue door. When they finally reached it and knocked, a light-haired, middle-aged woman answered, "Hi there, can I help you, girls?" 

"Hi Mrs. Friedrick, we hope to talk to your son Kalvin. We are friends of his from school." Callie replied, lying a little too skillfully. 

"Oh, of course! Kalvin doesn't get many visitors, so I'm sure he'll be glad to have company. Especially from two lovely girls." Mrs. Friedrick explained.

Kaitlyn gave Callie a side-eyed glance and took pity on the poor mother for lying to her. Mrs. Friedrick led them to Kalvin's door, plastered with video game posters and a big keep-out sign in the middle. 

"Well, I'll let you girls knock and let yourselves in. Have a nice visit, you two, and what were your names again?" The mother asked them. 

"Our names are Kaitlyn and Callie Mrs. Friedrick," Kaitlyn said quickly before Callie could give them both fake names. Callie glared at her over Mrs. Friedrick's shoulder and smiled at Mrs. Friedrick as she passed by them. They both turned to the ominous door, wondering if Kaitlyn's attempting killer was waiting on the other side. Callie knocked hesitantly, and the door opened a few seconds later.

"Hello?" Kalvin muttered, rubbing his eyes as if he had just gotten up from a nap or the computer. Finally, his eyes adjusted to the two girls before him, and he straightened himself against the doorframe, "Hi there, do I know either of you?" 

"You don't know me, but you must know Kaitlyn," Callie stated matter-of-factly. 

 "Um, actually, I don't. But, should I?" Kalvin replied, letting his eyes wander up and down Kaitlyn's figure. 

"Weren't you the one who wrote the note?" Kaitlyn piped up.

"What note?" Kalvin responded, confused and not seeming to care about the mysterious note. 

"The note I found in a book this morning, the note with your handwriting," Kaitlyn answered plainly. 

Kalvin's eyes grew wider than saucers, and he threw his door mostly closed before diving to his desk and grabbing his things. He then tried to bail out his bedroom window. Callie grabbed his arm when he was halfway out. 

"Not so fast, Bucko," She grumbled as she hauled him back inside to sit on his bed. 

"Ok, I'll talk; just hold her back, will you?" Kalvin stammered and motioned towards Callie. Kaitlyn nodded and moved Kalvin's desk chair to sit in front of his bed, "Why did you write the note, Kalvin?" She inquired, leaning into the backward-facing chair. 

"I was paid to do it. A guy over the phone said he'd give me forty bucks to write that note and put it in your book. He even told me what book to put it in. I swear I'm not the one who wants to kill you." Kalvin cried, releasing every detail of his encounter to the two girls. 

"So who does?" Kaitlyn answered coldly.

"I don't know. The guy had a voice modifier on and wired me the money. I have no idea who this guy is." Kalvin quaked, convinced that Callie was ready to tear off his face with the glare he was receiving from her. 

"So why did you accept his offer?" Kaitlyn questioned. 

"Because he didn't give me a choice. He said if I didn't do this, he would kill my mother. She's all I have; you've gotta understand." Kalvin trembled, still getting scary looks from Callie even though he had admitted he was not at fault. Seeing his sentiment, Kaitlyn leveled with the timid boy in front of her, "I understand, but is there anything you can tell us about the guy who set you up?" 

Kalvin nodded slowly, "You can't tell my mother, but I saw a black suburban pull up to my house 10 minutes after he phoned me. She didn't see it, but I could see binoculars looking into my house while I was writing out your note."

Kaitlyn turned white as a ghost and remembered seeing a dark SUV outside her home last night. Callie saw the look on Kaitlyn's face and excused herself and her friend, "Thank you for cooperating, Kalvin. We hope to never see you again." Callie remarked as she rushed Kaitlyn out the door, who looked like she was going to puke any second. 

"What happened?" Callie exclaimed as soon as they had said goodbye to Kalvin's mother and walked out to Callie's car. Kaitlyn got in the passenger seat without a word until Callie was in the driver's seat next to her, "I saw the same car outside of my house last night." Kaitlyn muttered. Callie gasped and asked if she had ever seen that car parked on her road before. 

"No," Kaitlyn responded simply before putting her seatbelt on and asking her friend to drive her home. 

Callie stayed the night at Kaitlyn's house. Given her current situation, Callie would not leave her best friend in her time of need. They spent the night watching movies and trying to forget that this could be Kaitlyn's last night on earth since they were no closer to knowing who wanted her dead. 

The following day, Kaitlyn woke up in her bed next to Callie, who was snoring like a bear. She smiled a little and snuck out of bed without waking her. She went to the bathroom and walked downstairs to greet her mother, who was always making breakfast. Kaitlyn kissed her cheek and thanked her for letting Callie stay over the previous night. Then, she staggered back upstairs to get dressed for school and wake up her best friend. Who was still snoring when she went back upstairs. 

"Hey, lazy bones, it's time for school." Kaitlyn joked as she shook Callie's shoulder. Callie grumbled and rolled over before half getting up and rubbing her face, "What time is it?" She mumbled half to herself. 

"We've got about half an hour before heading out." Kaitlyn giggled in response. Once Callie was coherent enough to remember the previous day's events, she walked over to Kaitlin. Who was in the middle of throwing a shirt over her head, "I just want you to know that whatever happens today, I love you, and I'll always be your best friend." 

Kaitlyn turned around and hugged her tightly, "I know you are, and I love you too. I'm so scared, Callie." Kaitlyn confided, her voice shaking slightly but trying to stay strong. 

They both went downstairs to greet Kaitlyn's mother and have some breakfast before heading out to school. They solemnly got into Callie's car and started the fifteen-minute drive. On the way, they hit the first exceptionally long traffic light. Kaitlyn watched a black SUV pull up behind them in the rearview mirror. Her heart quickened instantly and quietly let Callie know they might be followed. Kaitlyn managed the rearview mirror for the next two lights, never taking her eyes off of the SUV with overly tinted windows behind them. 

Finally, at the third light, excruciatingly drawn-out, a man with a dark hood got out of the car. Kaitlyn couldn't breathe. It was happening; she was going to die. What she didn't expect was what happened next. The man walked up to Callie's window, which had been down because of the hot early summer day outside. Once he was close enough to the window, he pulled a small knife from his pocket and plunged it into Callie's neck. Kaitlyn screamed and watched her best friend gurgle a word out before passing away, "Run." 

Kaitlyn unbuckled her seatbelt and opened her door before sprinting down the road toward her house. She had tears streaming down her face due to losing her closest friend and trying to outrun her own killer. Kaitlyn ran until she couldn't anymore, hearing the footfalls of her perpetrator close behind her the entire way. When she finally stopped, she felt an arm come around her neck and a hand wrap around her face. Next, Kaitlyn felt hot breath on the back of her neck and the cold blade of the knife on the front of her neck. 

"Please, don't do it," She muttered before she felt the blade still covered in her best friend's blood slice into her neck and the life fade from her body. 

June 17, 2022 23:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

K Dutta
14:55 Jun 27, 2022

So excited to post more! Thank you for the support everyone!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Graham Kinross
14:14 Jun 26, 2022

Great first story, hopefully the first of many. Let me know when you upload your next.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Glenn Holt
21:43 Jun 22, 2022

Wow, that was a very suspenseful even though I already knew that the story ended with her death. It was a surprise that we never learn who the "bad" guy is and it makes the story more visceral and unfortunately true to life.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.