Hanging On.

Written in response to: Write about a casual act of bravery.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Thriller

I wake up and get ready. I put on my regular clothes and I grab my sword. I put it in my sheath. I go to the king's room. Being his personal guard means waking ready before him. His knight guard leaves. He looks tired. I pat him on the back. But this makes a noise. The queen's personal wizard comes clambering comes down from his tower. She hired the creepiest wizard. Living in a kingdom where we have wild dragons surrounding us is dangerous. This guy, he looks as dangerous as one of the dragons. I should know. To be the king's personal dragon, you have to slay a dragon. An awake, living, breathing, dragon.

This guy, he's flat-off creepy. I think the king thinks the same thing, but when he does wizardly things in front of the queen she's happier. I don't understand why the queen trusts him with her future. Or drinks his potions for beauty. To be honest, she looks pretty much the same. I don't like to lie to her, but if I don't then the king would most likely have me fired. I would make her unhappy. Thus, the king would be too. Besides, being his personal guard is my dream job. I wouldn't trade this one for any other. The king likes me a lot. He thinks that I'm his best guard. It's clear he favors me above his night guard.

Before I knew it, the king was up and he went to breakfast. I followed him to the dining hall, where he had breakfast and made an announcement. "I want all of my guards to listen. Last night I had a dream where the dragons awoke and ruined the kingdom. Please kill all of them." He sits back down. He looks unphased by his insane request for us to go and kill all the dragons at the edge of the kingdom. The wizard looks like this is a great idea. Never seen him excited about something like that before, until now. I'm worried about what could happen.

He smiled and sat back down. I stared at him. I have done it before, but I never said it was easy. There are at least twenty dragons to slay. I could barely slay one. I tell him that I'll be on top of the matter. He smiled and went back to eating. He said thank you and I took all the guards to our chambers. "Alright. Here's the plan: we suit up and slaughter the sleeping ones first. Then we are going to cover the littlest to the biggest. As proof that we killed them all, we are going to bring the king the dragon's teeth. We should have at least twenty by the time we are done." They nod and suit up. They grab weapons.

I look at my blade and sharpen it super quickly. I grab my shield. I put my helmet on and saddle up my horse. My men are following me on foot. By the time we get to the caves we stop and have bread and water for our break. Then, we draw our swords. There are lots of snores. We slay all of the sleeping dragons. Then the babies. The teeth are to go on the horse. After around ten dragons, we decide to head home, out of how tired we were. We deliver the teeth to the king and go back to our chambers. We clean our blades and shine our suits. Then we get into bed. The night guards have already taken over by the time we fall asleep.

I slept very hard. Then next day, the dragons were more alert and awake. They were tracing on the edge of the cliff. Our kingdom is on a cliff. The dragons keep us from falling off. Well, their caves and the fear of the dragons keep us from falling off. But, with the dragons gone, it will just be the caves. I strike first and hard, killing the first dragon, and then the second. My men and I kill all but one, the biggest of all the dragons. I strike. This one's for me. I take the blow, which kills it but then its last breath that's on the ground drags me, so I'm holding onto the edge of the cliff. "HELP ME!" I scream. "HELP! QUICK!" My arms start to give out. I'm bearly holding on for dear life.

I saw my life flash before my eyes. I kick my legs to propel myself. And then I hear a spell being cast. I could recognize that crazy wizard voice anywhere. I start to float and realize that it's the queen's wizard. I shake his hand and thank him. I can't believe that this creepy wizard came to my rescue when no one else would. We gather the teeth and I ride back with my men to the castle. I hand the teeth over to the king. Then I lead my men to our chambers. We do the same as last night, except we fall asleep faster. The night guards were not happy with us the next day. They had gone twenty-four hours of being guards, but they were not bloody we reminded them.

I saved the kingdom from the dragons and had done it in a few blows. Dragons now were put in their place where they were supposed to be. Their dead bodies were put to good use. We used the dragon's scales. Nothing of their bodies went to waste. That day I realized how scary my job could be. How often I was put in danger. How I could so easily get killed. But I realized that the danger was fine because I was brave. I knew how to handle dangerous activities. I knew that I was important to the king. That I was worth something in this kingdom. I knew that in the magic kingdom I had made a name for myself with the help of my friends and by being brave and doing brave acts I can do anything.

February 25, 2022 22:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.