0 comments

Adventure Suspense Mystery

Once again I wake up, our boat barely mended together. It’s been 36 days since we’ve been lost out to sea. Out ship crashed, although most of the crew died due to hypothermia those of us remaining got on the safety boats and headed out for sea. From the food on the ship each boat has 116 biscuits, 40 gallons of fresh water, and two  men to man each boat. Supplies are running low, we’re barely making it out on the sea. Mother sold our house,belongings, and nearly everything that we owned so I would be able to make it out on this boat. “A passage way to your education she’d use to call it.”.  My mother always told me she wanted me to be something,someone greater than she was. Sadly I don’t know if i’ll ever do that. Where we are headed now I absolutely have no possible idea. But where we’re supposed to go was England, University of Oxford, i recently graduated high school off to a bright future. Or so I thought. My thoughts cease as I sleep, the only peace that I tend to get these days. Dawn breaks and i’m not longer at home. And forced to the realisation that we are indeed still lost at sea. We have half of our biscuits and three-fourths of our fresh water left over. My partner that traveled with me in the boat seems to be just about dead. Where the other two boats went I’m not sure of. In the beginning Thomas, my partner that is heard some talk about an island nearby where we’re from how true this is i don’t know. But my father always taught me how to identify north,south,east and west even without a compass. And from the information Thomas gave me I tend to be drifting in the right direction. I begin to go in and out of consciousness, as I quickly look over to Thomas, identifying that he is indeed dead. With the little strength that I have left I push him over the boat, there’s no need in someone drifting in a boat if he’s a dead man. I drink my portion of water and biscuits for the day, although i have an abundance of supplies now it’s best to save what I have in case i’m here for much longer. The wind rolled my head over as I already lost all of my strength, and to my surprise a boat. I am unable to recognise it, but it appears it has the stripes and numbers of on the side of it just like this one it must be one of our boats. But to my luck it not only appears to be damaged but empty. I roll my hand outside of the boat and attempt to row my boat over, with God’s help and some tough rowing. I do just that. Just to my luck the fresh water is close to nothing, and the biscuits have been drowned in salt water. I take the water and continue to move my separate way. 

Day 26 I forgot what day of the year it was at this point, I marked the sides of my own damaged boat day twenty-six. Due to the low food rations that I permitted myself  I still have 110 biscuits left as well as 20 gallons of fresh water. I begin to think of what my mother is doing. If she is taking care, if she is worried about me. Here out on the Ocean there is a limited about of thoughts you can go through before you have nothing left in your own mind. I like to think that they sent out a search party or some other bigger ships, but knowing where I came from. Knowing where all the men on that ship came from. They couldn’t care less wether we lived or died. To them we’re simple just a number, a dollar sign even. If I ever made it to my destination all they would care about is the attention that I could bring to that town. Going to one of England’s best colleges, is no big feat for the Country I come from. Especially from my small town. But only if I would of made it, Life for my mother and me could of been different. Our future, I could replaced everything that she sold to even get me on that boat in the first place. As the day ends, I sleep peacefully knowing that one day, someday at least i’ll be back to the home I desire to be. I wake up bright and early for a change, I turn around and to my surprise something Green, my immediate assumption is that it’s just another boat. But this looks different. I squint my eyes and…..I..I can’t believe it it’s an Island. Why! This must have been the Island that Thomas referred to. Oh, if he was here to see this. If all of the shipmates that passed away, If only they would be able to see this. I quickly eat twice my daily ration of biscuits and water, not like in running quite low in supply anyway. I quickly hurl my torso over the boat so i’m able to use both my arms to row closer and closer to the island. But this was not a fail proof plan though. The island although in my eye’s view must’ve been miles away.But how far from home this was, and how I would be able to get back home are questions that I choose to answer at a later date. Each morning and each night I would check how far I was, wether I was getting closer, farther. No matter what I needed to get to that Island my closet, possibly my only chance of getting home. I slip in and out of consciousness, eating my daily ration. Moving closer and closer to that island each day. Night time, the most peaceful time of these days. A sudden quick crash onto the island jolts me awake. And as I look up into the starry-night sky. Wondering, just thinking if only mother had been here to this, to see the stars shining brighter than they ever had before. Just like she always wanted.

February 27, 2021 03:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.