4 comments

Adventure Thriller Suspense

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

Tarek has been searching for any signs of the mysterious scholar for nearly a week to no avail. Disguised as a merchant aiming to journey across the seven seas, he arrives at the port city where the man he seeks is said to have arrived. "Young man! Haven't I seen you before?" Nine days have passed and he has journeyed hundreds of miles away from the university where he saw this very same young man. This could indeed be a good sign.


The student gasps as he sees Tarek, recognizing him immediately only to run as fast as possible to warn his allies and possible the scholar himself. He runs towards a moderately sized ship yelling at the captain, as a lion's cub about to lose his father. "Set sail! Set sail now!! Hurry!! Hurry!!"


The others beckon him to get on the ship as they throw the student a rope. He quickly climbs the rope to reach the deck of the ship as the kids smile and laugh, save for the student who senses danger in Tarek's presence, staring at him from a distance.


Tarek gallops with his horse as he offers his tired yet powerful steed to another young man by a nearby stable. "I'll need you to watch over him until I come back." The boy motions for money as he smiles admiring and checking the horse's teeth and hooves, mane, eyes and skin. "Very well, sir. If you don't come back within 3 days, I'll keep him for myself." Tarek laughs at the stable boy's shrewd sales tactics. "Very well. I'll see you within a fortnight then."


He throws the young man a small bag of coins past him to distract him, as he jumps onto the saddle with both feet, throwing his hooked rope over to a nearby building to swing over to the dock in one motion.


The desert wind blows once again as Tarek mysteriously disappears with no sign of him. The stable boy opens the bag of coins as he laughs at the small fortune given to him by the stranger. "May God watch over you, sir...Sir!?" The stable boy walks back to the lone horse tied to a pole, as the stable boy blesses him waving amongst the mysterious desert winds.


Tarek jumps into the sea as he nears the ship and throws the grappling hook against the bulkhead, climbing onto the deck. He sees much of the passengers huddled in the center of the ship, save for a few guards. Suddenly he hears the familiar voice of the elderly professor who spoke of revolt against tyrannical rule and treachery.


"Professor!!" Tarek shouts over to the huddled mass of young students, his face covered. One of the guards behind him grabs him by the neck as Tarek quickly turns his heels and throws his left elbow against the guard's chin, rendering him unconscious.


The students gasp at sight of the assassin as he bows on one knee holding out the parchment with his right hand. "I mean you no harm. I have a message for you!"


The professor, an older grey-bearded man with a medium but solid build, gets up slowly from the deck of the ship and approaches the assassin. "Forgive me if I have difficulty trusting your words...young Tarek."


"How did you know it was me, professor?"


"We've never met, but I've heard much about the mysterious man who roams across the desert sands. You're a bit far from your usual surroundings."


"It's a matter of urgency."


"Indeed it is, young Tarek."


"The Caliphate...they aim to kill you."


The professor laughs heartily. "Indeed they are, but I have many enemies: generals across the land and warring tribes which aim to dilute my message."


"You're not safe, professor."


"Are you sure?" The students suddenly pull out their daggers and point them at Tarek.


"Point taken, but what if I were to hide and disorient your protectors? Would they know how to fight against something they can't see or touch?" Tarek in a flash jumps upward behind a sail throwing an open bag of black sand in the faces of the students as they cough with tearful eyes, the majority of them dropping their small weapons.


He immediately pushes one of the others still holding their small blades and knocks him over into the rest that still hold their blades.


Only one remained shielded behind the professor: the very same student he has seen in two different towns. The son quickly shields his father now as the sand dissipates in the air. "Father, he is far too dangerous." He cries out in caution as he points his larger blade at the agile, elusive stranger.


"You have me convinced, young Tarek. How can I help?"


"He is your son?" Tarek asks the aging scholar.


"He is indeed, my very own flesh and blood."


"Why should we trust him, Father? Every time I see this man, trouble follows." The son speaks out.


"Perhaps it is trouble he seeks, if only to remedy such issues." The scholar muses.


The professor takes the knife from his son's hand and throws it at the assassin's feet. "Take my life if you wish. I'm helpless now."


"If I seek refuge in your death, professor, I'd have already done so and your son would not even know who it was that murdered you." Tarek whispers with a low growl.


The scholar nods his head as Tarek nudges the blade handle with his right foot looking at the son. "Go ahead and retrieve your blade, young man. What is your name?" Tarek smiles.


"Why should I tell you, you sneaky dog?". The scholar's son exclaims.


"Enough! Show this man the respect he deserves! After all he's the one that saved our lives in the classroom?"


The son is surprised. "Truly? ... is it him Father?"


"It is." He opens the parchment with the seal of the order of assassins, the very same that Tarek's mentor had. He bears it as a medal around his backpack. Tarek throws the medallion onto the deck.


"So it's true. He's the one hired to protect us and lead us to safety from the Caliph?"


"Yes. We have no more time to waste with idle chatter. Let's devise a plan, young Tarek."


"Leave that to me, but first, I urge you to read the letter."


The scholar opens the parchment:


'Lion,


Forward Eagle's Nest Dawn 2. Code Aleph 1 and 7 Shield.


Fast Black.'


Translated it means:


'Professor,


Proceed to the museum 2 hours past dawn. You are to aid in retrieving the artifact. Both assets are to be protected at all times.


Burn upon reading.'


"There are rumours of an artifact in the museum that the Caliph wishes to retrieve."


"Ah yes, I've heard of this artifact, young Tarek. It's an artifact of significant value, except it's not as valuable as it appears. It's a statue dedicated to one of the gods. It has become a symbol of unity to the caliphate."


"What significance does this artifact hold though?"


"It is said that he who holds the statue of the moon god shall possess great power with an empire that will last for centuries."


"This sounds like an old tale meant to scare little children." Tarek laughs.


"I thought the same at first, but there may be a tool to an ancient weapon that hasn't been used for centuries."


"If you so choose to believe."


"What I believe matters not. If it shows significance to the Caliph then indeed it must hold some great value, and in his stead, we must be vigilant and cautious of all assets he deems important."


"I agree. His artifact may mean nothing to us, but a madman's object of virtue can crumble empires."


"Precisely. We are nearly there. Whatever plan you have, Tarek, I hope it is a well-devised one."


As the rebellious crew of two dozen aim to fulfill their fateful mission, Tarek moves ahead with another horse at the port leading to the ancient museum thought to have been built for a princess centuries ago.


Tarek senses wandering eyes as they advance to their destination and just as they are about to do so, Tarek sees a long shadow in the sun as it dawns. It's hard to decipher if it's a human shadow or just a trick of the light as the sun sets. There are 2 hours left before they are set to appear.


The hours feel like days as Tarek senses more eyes and danger approaching them, the desert wind sweeping away any semblance of hoof prints or footsteps. If they were to die here, no one would come to their aid let alone even be aware of their existence.


The ancient museum they see is crumbling, but has some level of integrity. It has been left to the elements far too long.


"Students, come with me." Tarek beings the scholar's son over to him. "I'll need you to lead them. Protect your father at all costs" He hands over his crossbow "Use this only when you are sure you have a clear shot. It's envenomed. I'll search for the artifact."


The young man, speechless, listens to his every word, obeying every instruction, leads the students and his father down a nearby cave.


As Tarek journeys further above ground to search for the artifact in the rear entrance of the museum, he hears a sudden explosion above him as his sight suddenly begins to fade.


He is trapped under the rubble in the ancient crumbling museum. Tarek's final sight is of the assassin that attempted to kill the scholar once before, holding a stick of dynamite, taunting him, laughing at the trapped protector.


The lion shall roar, but at what cost?








March 22, 2024 21:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Krissa Svavars
10:47 Mar 28, 2024

Another good one :) There are two instances in the story that you should maybe move to another line 1. Disguised as a merchant aiming to journey across the seven seas, he arrives at the port city where the man he seeks is said to have arrived. "Young man! Haven't I seen you before?" --- the young man being like a "new" direction. 2. Would they know how to fight against something they can't see or touch?" Tarek in a flash jumps upward behind a sail throwing an open bag of black sand in the faces of the students as they cough with tearful...

Reply

Zavier M. Ames
18:17 Mar 28, 2024

Hello Krissa, *Gasp* the audacity of you helping me to be a better writer and editor of my work! How...dare...you?? I welcome all nitpicking with open arms. I have some bad habits that I need to work on. This would be one of them. I've been getting better, but your suggestions make perfect sense. Thank you for the feedback and kind words. I'm still new at this writing thing, but even if I wasn't, all critiques are important to consider at the least and to apply at most. Unfortunately I can no longer edit this story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:46 Mar 27, 2024

Tarek's adventure is a wild ride, like mixing a treasure hunt with some serious cloak-and-dagger vibes. Just when you think he's got it all under control, the story flips on you – talk about a cliffhanger!

Reply

Zavier M. Ames
22:34 Mar 27, 2024

Hello Angela! Thank you for the kind words and the feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed the story. I have two other stories with Tarek in it: "The Howl of the Djinn" and the follow up "Sting of the Scorpion". Stay tuned for more of Tarek, and some more horror and sci-fi stories coming soon! I'll be sure to read your stories on here as well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.