0 comments

Fantasy Adventure

I tugged roughly at the stiff collar around my neck threatening to suffocate me. I took the slightest step to the left, hoping to steal some cool breeze that flowed through the open window. But the gaggle of noble women with their voluminous skirts stood oblivious to others who desperately needed air in the stuffy ballroom. They chattered on, giggled, laughed shrilly, and fluttered their fans before them. Should a gentleman be so unfortunate to catch their eye they would descend upon him instantly and be devoured by lace, tulle, and silk.  

My ambassador assured me that, if I was not wearing a dress to the ball, then I would at least wear other fashions. I had no idea the nobles favored the inability to breathe when I agreed. I decided against the heavy layers and structure of the dresses currently in fashion and opted instead for a silk jacket of deep green and black trousers tucked into highly polished black boots. I suddenly regret such a decision. The assassin could walk right up to the empress and slit her throat by the time I could pull my sword to stop them.  

“You look uncomfortable, my Lady,”  

I turned to the voice, startled by the nearness of it. It was the duchess, a lifelong friend of the empress and distant cousin. When I turned to her, she lowered her eyes and dipped into the shallowest of curtsies.  

“My Lady,” I took a step back and bowed at the waist. The nobles seated by the window tittered at my attempt. Elves do not bother bowing to their leaders and I do not have much experience with human rulers. I can only imagine how clumsy it looked. “No, the party is quite lovely.”  

She came to stand beside me to watch the dancers spin on the open floor, “That jacket does not become you.”  

I flinched when she flicked the decorative fob hanging from the pocket of the jacket. She seemed amused at my discomfort with her nearness and smiled sweetly at me, her white teeth gleaming brightly, confirming what I already knew of her addiction.  

The music stopped and the dancers slowly moved away from the open floor as the next piece was just beginning. Two lines of stiff nobles formed for the large group dance. Had it not been for their occasional movements I would have thought they were statues.  

The duchess turned to face me, a hand outstretched, “Would you dance with me?”  

I blanched. My ambassador had taught me the required court dances and I was quite good, for an elf. My people’s dances are far more fluid and the movements do not mesh well with the rigid steps. But, to refuse the duchess would be an insult to the court. The empress herself, if she felt so inclined. And I needed the empress on my side in the days to come.  

Tentatively, I took her hand, it was soft in mine. Delicate even. The hands of a Lady who has never known the pinch of sword handle or well bucket. Years of knife training and hunting have made my fingers and palms rough and solid. I feared she would break in my grip.   

I led her down the marble stairs to the dance floor amid other partygoers. I stood in the line with the rest and bowed to the duchess. I was shocked when I straightened and found her with her arms outstretched, one toward me with her palm up, the other toward the far wall. This was the stance of an old elven dance.   

I felt suddenly at ease in the duchess’s presence with such a simple gesture. I had practiced for weeks to master the dances, the small talk, and the general manners to assimilate into the human high court. My body felt light with a sigh of relief at the familiar pose. I mirrored her, placing my palm lightly against hers, and on the proper count, we spun toward each other, arms tucked in behind our backs, until we reached the other’s side. She was smiling.  

“Are you surprised?” She asked. Her steps were light and sure, like she had been combining elven movements with court farandole. The result looked a bit chaotic to an outside observer, but graceful to those educated in dance.   

“If I am honest, my Lady, yes. Elves do not readily teach outsiders our culture,” I said, hoping I was not offending.  

“There was a young elf girl in our spring palace who taught me. I wanted so much to be her friend. But my father and mother explained that nobles are not friendly with staff,” the duchess said with such a nonchalant air you’d guess she was telling you about her dreary holiday to the countryside.  

I bit my tongue to keep myself from automatically responding and getting the next helping of poison in my drink. At most, the little elf girl was some kind of merchant passing through. Or worse, and most probable, the girl was a slave to the spring court. Was the dance instruction voluntary? Or was she persuaded?  

I may have spun the duchess a bit too harshly away from me, because when she returned to my arms, she said, “I apologize. I did not mean to offend.”  

My vocal cords and tongue felt thick and tense with my response, “No offense, my Lady.”  

She was quiet for a few steps, enough time for me to get my emotions under control. It was easy to forget who this woman was with her grace and poise. Her blonde hair was swept up into a knot at the back of her head, and a decorative comb with beautiful enamel flowers held it in place. Hazel eyes studied my face, my long plait of black hair that trailed down my back. The duchess’s beauty was not understated in the least.   

But that pretty face was hidden behind heavy silks and lace. I stared at her, wondering why she would dance with the one elf to receive a formal invitation. There were many eligible dancers here tonight. But the duchess chose the pariah. One would think all the pomp and hoop skirts were her real mask.   

They don’t know what I know about this woman. There was no mask for her, not like the others who aimed to hide motive and intention. The duchess hid nothing, and it was no secret. My blood boiled as my hand lay against the silk wrapped around her waist. My mind spun when I thought about the lives she stole just so she could have the prettiest dress for the ball. Was she even aware of how poisonous it was to make this shade of blue?  

I mentally shook myself. Remember why you’re here. To do any good in this world you need the empress. And her gods-forsaken family. No matter how hideous they were.  

“Why are you here?” The duchess wondered as if to herself.  

I stepped and turned into the dance steps, catching her tightly cinched waist again in my hands and fought the urge to squeeze the life from her. “Pardon?”  

“It’s not so difficult to see that you are not comfortable here tonight. So, I ask again. Why are you here?”  

You know this. Don’t screw it up.  

“I came to celebrate the beauty and glory that is the seat of the empress,” I said as calmly as I could. It sounded as cold and lifeless as the marble they elegantly spun on. 

There was no amusement in her eyes when she spun back around to me, “Please do not lie to me. I abhor liars.”  

“My Lady, I-”  

“You are here to protect the empress from an assassin.”  

Training. Remember your training, I reminded myself as I struggled to keep my expression neutral. 

The duchess nearly burst out laughing, “You should see your face. Of course, I know about the assassin. You are not the only one with a network of spies.”  

I shot a glance around us, hoping no one could hear her over the music. That information came from a reliable source. No one should know about it except my closest confidantes. And I trust them with my life daily.  

“Please don’t say that so loud, my Lady,” I hissed under my breath. “We do not wish to create a panic or let the assassin know we are on to him. If he knew you know about him, you could put yourself in danger.”  

Her deep blue eyes widened, and her lips parted in a quiet gasp, “You know who it is?”  

“No. I have people working on discovering their identity. At this point, we can only stop him should he attack.” An idea suddenly struck me. If the duchess’s people knew about the assassin, they might be able to help track him down. I leaned close to speak quietly into her ear, “If I may be bold to ask, my Lady, but could your people help?”  

“I could get a message to them easily. But do you truly believe the empress is in danger?” She asked me.  

That was an odd question. This assassin was targeting the empress’s court and even members of her staff. Most recently, the sorceress retained to advise on matters of magic, and the mage organization was found dead in her room. Windows and doors were locked with the only key on her body. The sorceress seemed to know there was danger and had taken precautions, though none helped to save her.  

“Yes, I do believe she is in danger. She has lost three members of her court just this fortnight. For all we know, you may very well be in danger also, my Lady.” I did my best to instill a modicum of urgency in my voice to relay the seriousness of what was happening without alerting those around us.  

“That’s so silly. Why would I be in danger?” Her voice was light and sing song. Was this a game to her? Was she actually enjoying this?   

“Because you are close to the empress and you are aware of the assassin’s presence,”  

“But look at the ones who have died. The sorceress with the shady dealings threatened this court’s very way of life. The former lover spreading lies and secrets about the empress for profit. The count and the general who conspired to start an uprising to unseat the empress. Wouldn’t you say these deaths were, at least in part, justified?”  

“And the others? The ones who were poisoned at the garden party. What did they do to deserve such a fate?” I wondered.  

“They were in my way.” Her breath tickled my ear as richly painted lips brushed against the sensitive skin as she said, “Just like you.”  

I didn’t understand until it was too late what the duchess was saying. I gasped at the sudden pain in my abdomen, but the breath caught in my throat. The duchess was still smiling, her eyes dropped between us and when I followed her gaze I found the hilt of my dagger protruding from my torso.  

My eyes felt so wide I thought they would fall from my head. The duchess is the assassin?   

“Why?” Was all I could muster.  

She still had a grip on the handle of the blade and still held me close even though neither of us moved with the music anymore.  

“I love my cousin, my empress, more than anyone can know. She is all that is good in this world. And I will make sure she continues to do that.” The duchess nuzzled my neck in an oddly affectionate way.  

“We could have worked together,” it was so hard to breathe. 

The demure expression changed instantly to one of intense rage. Breath was forced from me as she turned the dagger in my gut. I clasped my hands over hers to hold it in place.   

“I don’t need you,”   

My hands slipped as the duchess forced the rest of the blade into me and shoved me away roughly. I staggered back into another couple, clutching my wound.  

“Help!” cried the duchess. “This woman tried to kill me! She’s the assassin!”  

There was a rush of bodies exiting the ballroom, the screams seemed to fade in and out around me. I frantically scanned the crowd, hoping to find my ambassador and general who had accompanied me. I could see them near the doors to the vestibule. Guards immediately seized them as they fought against the sea of people. The general swung at one of them, dislodging the grip on his arm, and was met with the tip of a sword aimed at his face. My poor ambassador looked so frightened and cowered behind the general. 

I stumbled toward them, deperate to explain what happened. I needed to tell them...it...it was. I fell to my knees, the edge of one of the wide steps pressing painfully into one of my shins. Four guards surrounded me, two of which drew their swords. The other two grabbed my arms and yanked me to my feet. 

A cry of pain escaped me, and I was carried away. I blacked out. The last thing I saw was the duchess standing with the empress surrounded by personal guards. A wicked smile stretching across those beautiful lips. 

June 14, 2024 18:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.