Intergalactic Convicts Adrift

Submitted into Contest #58 in response to: Write a story where the power goes out on a spaceship or submarine.... view prompt

1 comment

Adventure Fantasy Science Fiction

Intergalactic Convicts Adrift

By Bunni Reed


Stupid Metallic walls that change color every 48 hours. Intended to keep us calm, supposedly. I had finally gotten my inner core adjusted to the visual frequency of turquoise and the sense of cool blue water it seemed to evoke. Gods! Now I have to readjust to this accursed vanilla that stabs into my brain. Too bright for the darkly mood that has become my existence over this last week. A sense of foreboding? Or just sick and tired of "existing" like this. I close my eyes and try to sleep for just a little longer.


The guards will be at my door in four hours, "inviting" me to leave my cell and join the others three decks up in the center of this hulking carrier that is hurtling through space. They have created a park of sorts for our leisure time. Artificial sunlight, but very real trees, grass, flowers, and other plants. I will, of course, grumble at the fact of not having a choice of when to go to the park. I prefer dusk, but that doesn't exist here. There are viewing windows along two sides of the park, so we can see the section of space that we are currently passing through.


Some of the other prisoners have become ill recently, so not as many roaming among the trees. They put in some fruit trees, and a vegetable garden at the center. We are allowed to take as much as we want back to our cells. I learned about two years ago not to be greedy; decaying food is rather gross, and we can gather new ones every day. Today I take two apples and four carrots. Some of the others have been fermenting their fruits to make a crude alcohol. The guards don't care. I get the feeling that drinking their creations may well be what caused some of the others to get sick.


Two hours into our leisure time luncheon is announced. Breakfast is on us, in our cells. That's why I chose the apples and carrots to take back. We all file through the elevator doors, twelve at a time, and go up one more level to food services. Most of the food is bland, but seasonings are available. I choose a table at the back of the room, with my back against a wall. Nobody can sneak up on me that way. I don't have any actual enemies, but there are only two people I trust. Anders is one of the guards, and I would trust him with my life. Charlene is my best friend since childhood, and we came here together. Anders watches out for both of us, and doesn't allow other guards to access our cells for nefarious purposes. He is androgenous and has no sexual desire for either of us, but feels protective nevertheless.


After all three of us are seated (yes, guards are encouraged to eat with prisoners) we say a quiet prayer to our respective Gods in grateful acceptance of our food. Not many of the others pray in public. Suddenly the carrier lurches to one side and the lights flicker wildly. Another lurch and we are plunged into total darkness. Nobody screams, not a sound is heard from anyone. Anders clicks on his communicator and a small glow of light emits from it. "Anders reporting from Food Services. What is our status?"


Total silence for several long minutes. Then comes the reply: "This is First Officer Samuels. We have been disabled by a long-range photon blast. I can't see anything out there. I don't know where it came from. It has destroyed the Command Center, and almost everyone who was in there. I escaped because I was already entering the elevator. I can see through the view window. It is all open space where the Command Center used to be. "


All of the Convicts who are not sick are with us in Food Services. Sixty of seventy-five inmates in here, with us. There are only five guards, including Anders. I can see Anders looking around furtively. I must act, it is my nature. Charlene and I slowly stand in the silence of the room. We are from a planet far-removed from this sector of the universe. We are Clataxan. We focus our minds to one another and slowly begin to glow, lighting the part of the room we are in. Now there are sounds, gasps of air from the other inmates and guards. Anders is not surprised, for he knows us so well. He is also Clataxan, but will not reveal himself - for now.


Charlene and I silently agree that I will take the lead. I use my second Gift. I reach out telepathically to every soul on board. "This is Inmate Berundi. All will be as it will be. Remain as calm as you are able. We have been attacked and do not know the extent of our damage yet. I will contact each of you momentarily to assess your situation. Please remain as calm as you are able."


I use my speaking voice to address everyone in Food Services. "Please eat your food. Remain here while I consult with the guards. We will use the emergency stairwells to return to the park in one hour. The Oxygen released from the plants will allow you to breathe normally. There is enough oxygen in this area for four hours. Do not panic."


Charlene, Anders, and I resume eating to set an example. The others follow suit, though most have moved to tables closer to the light we emit. The other guards turn their communicators on for light as well. While eating I reach out telepathically to Samuels, the First Officer in the elevator by the Command Center. He is terrified by what he has seen, but is able to respond to me. There are no fires in the Command Center area, as the vacuum of space removed the oxygen. I have Samuels use the light from his communicator to locate a panel near the door of the elevator. After he has removed the panel cover there is a set of hand controls that utilize his pulse to operate. He can then take the elevator to Food Services and eat.


I reach out to find any other guards. They are no longer with us. There are now 81 people alive on the carrier. I reach out to the fiften ill inmates and they find that their cell locks are disengaged. I guide them to the stairwell to Food Services. Once everyone has gathered here I announce that whoever still wants to eat can stay with Charlene and Anders. They can join us in the park when all are ready.


Samuels and I lead the rest to the stairwell leading to the park. Through the windows we can see that the carrier is slowly turning round and round in the vast space. After a time we are able to determine that nobody is actively pursuing us. The question remains as to what happened?


Archaic propane lanterns have been located in a storage locker in the park, so there is light. There are a hundred blankets, and vacuum-sealed food rations that would last for several months. I make certain everyone is calm and settled down. Now, Charlene, Anders, Samuels, and I must find out what is going on. Samuels knows where the space-walk suits are kept. We will need to access the air-lock and use the hand controls to exit the carrier and approach the Command Center from space. It is not wise to attempt to open the door from the elevator.

September 07, 2020 20:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Meggy House
16:20 Sep 17, 2020

Wow! This was a wonderful take on the story. I love the narrator's calm, almost monotone way of speaking. It's kind of like seeing a photo of a war in greyscale: you can tell that something bad is happening but the mutedness reassures you. You didn't throw me into the story, you lulled me into it, and though it wasn't heart-racing suspense it was still intriguing and eery enough to keep me reading until the very end. I'm here from the critique circle, so I'll start out with some critique. Mainly, if the narrator is a convict, wouldn't it...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.