0 comments

Drama Thriller Mystery

Karlha was just months away from her big day. Jorge had finally proposed, and she was ecstatic. Her mom was reluctant to help her with her wedding planning. Mother knows best, or does she? Mom had always seen Jorge lose his temper and take it out on Karlha. For some reason he was the bad guy. He would beat her so bad to the point where she was already known by everyone at the trauma department. There is no way mom would be on board. The wedding was going to be something small and simple. Mainly because she was nineteen and he was seventeen. Did I mention he was also an unemployed drop out? Of course, there is nothing wrong with a small wedding but marrying some seventeen year old that does nothing all day now that’s an issue. I tried to warn her I mean as her best friend I wanted the best for her. Since she had nobody else, I agreed to help her wedding planning. We went dress shopping and she asked, “Is there anything I should change?” That was not hard to figure out so I laughed and said , “The groom!” She did not find it funny at all. So, I changed my answer and said, “maybe add rhinestones?” I guess because she was pretty pissed off she responded, “NO I like it just how it is!” Three months passed by everything was ready for the wedding which was in two weeks. Her Bachelorette party was planned for the upcoming weekend. Of course, it was at a place that her fiancé spent plenty of time at. It was a club nearby in downtown San Diego. When he found out about it they argued and got in a fight as usual. A physical fight! However, nobody ended up at the hospital. Which is good news I suppose. There were bruised legs, scratched faces, bloody nose, and crying. Eventually, she apologized to him and he said, “ you can go to your little party this weekend, but don’t complain if I don’t pick up the phone because I’m going out too!” The weekend came out exactly as planned. All the girls showed up. Exactly two hours later HE showed up… it was pure evil in human form. Jorge. I kept Karlha out of sight just long enough until he screwed up and made a move on someone. Which, he did! He cheated on her and she saw it all! It was something we all knew but for some reason she didn’t seem to really believe it. Surprisingly, she stayed calm. Karlha completely ignored the fact that he was cheating, and she was watching him as it happened! She had the time of her life after that. Danced and had drinks until she could not anymore. We all went home that night and after that it was as if Jorge did not exist. All through the week everything went smooth. I did not really hang out with her and Thursday I decided to reach out to my boyfriend because I didn’t see him during the weekend because of Karlhas bachelorette. I called him; his phone would send me straight to voice mail. I texted because it seemed odd of him to not answer. The text would not get delivered. I knew something was up but decided to text Karlha to meet up and talk. Same thing, text was not being delivered. I called her and her phone was off. Both people who I would turn to for anything are suddenly no longer available. Seems odd that suddenly they both disappear. I decided to just stay home and watch a movie. I fell asleep halfway through the movie and woke up the next day to my phone ringing. “Look what we have here, she finally decides to appear.” I pick up the phone and answer, it was Karlha. She asks, “Can you come spend the night today?” I was still thrown off about yesterday, so I give her attitude and ask, “why?” She seemed confused so I just sighed and said, “yeah that’s fine.” It was awkward for the first half of the day. However, we went to get snacks to try and clear the air. After we got back home it all was better and we were just watching television when I decided to ask, “Sooo yesterday, where did you go?” Looking at me confused she replied nervously, “What do you mean?” I responded, “I texted and called, and you didn’t reply, so what where you doing?” She looked around and was getting uneasy, she ended up changing the subject and I did not say anything, but it was still in my mind. I started to think maybe she was with my boyfriend and they were planning something for me. That did not make sense though, why would they plan something for me and none of the two reply to me? That would only make me suspicious and they would not want that. Possibly they had feelings for each other and felt guilty? Why would she invite me over to spend the night? I just could not figure it out. We watched movies, played games and ultimately fell asleep. The next morning was just craziness everywhere. Her mom woke us up for breakfast. Then her mom asked her, “you can still back out you know.” Karlha rolled her eyes and responded, “but I’m not going to!” Karlha got up and went to the restroom. Her mom leaned over and whispered, “She can’t marry someone who does not show up right?” and laughed. She came back from the restroom and we were rushing to get ready. It really seemed as if she was a new person. She was smiling and happy. The only issue with today was still the same issue as three months ago. The groom. We were getting Karlha in her dress when there is a knock on the door. It was the Sheriff with Jorge’s mom. The mom desperately yells at us asking where her son is. Karlha gets worried and asks, “what do you mean where is he?” I thought to myself he is probably hung over or high in some girl’s bed. The sheriff then tells us, “This young man has been disappeared since Sunday night. “You ladies wouldn’t happen to know anything, now would you?” He questions as he looks around. Karlhas mom quickly exclaims, “No and if we did we wouldn’t bother to help, and I hope he doesn’t show up any time soon!” Then there was a knock on the door. We all were confused because we were not expecting anybody. We open the door and hallelujah it was MY boyfriend, who also happened to be Karlha’s neighbor he was concerned when he saw the sheriff there so went to check. Of course, that looked sketchy to the sheriff and he interviewed us all separately. When we were done he said, “I will call you all back to the station if we have any more questions.” When we thought he was gone I demanded answers. “One why did neither of you answer your phone Thursday? Two, why were we just interrogated by the Sheriff?!” Right when I finished talking I noticed the sheriff peeking through the window. It was then when they looked at each other, not noticing the sheriff they both asked, “Can You Keep A Secret ?”

August 20, 2020 19:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.