4 comments

Fantasy Fiction Adventure

Heels can be heard storming down the passageway, yet they aren’t heard. Quickly the heels approach the open bedroom, there sprawled on the bed he lays with one hand resting on the clock’s snooze button. The heels stop right at the bedroom’s entrance, their owner stands wide-eyed at the sight in front of her.

Precociously she approaches the bed and strokes his hair and cheek with the back of her hand. She whispers, “Baby, baby, it’s time to get up”. At the same time, she grips the bed sheet and kisses him on the cheek before yanking the sheet from beneath him. Thump! He hits the floor and quickly springs back up. “What, what…?”. Looking around the room he notices her with the sheet in hand sweetly waving at him.

“Jess? What the hell man.”

“…”

“Jess, I told you I need a few more minutes to sleep, come on man.”

“… Hmmm, that’s funny.”

“Why… why is it funny Jess?”

“Why don’t you take a look at the clock.”

Confused, he turns around and sees the time, 10:17 am is displayed. Taking a breath, he cautiously turns back to Jess. She stands there with a smile, “So, what were you saying now”. He is dumbfounded, words don’t come.

“I’m waiting, Leo.”

“Jess… I… I just needed a few minutes. I…”

“You what Leo, you what?”

“…”

“Look at me Leo. Look… At… Me!”

Leo can hardly raise his head; Jess had every right to be upset. The gig he was supposed to work could be seen on his phone; they had tried calling him over 10 times. Even Jess had called but he never answered, now he was over an hour late for the job, a job he sorely needed. Jess stands with her arms folded, they had talked about the importance of this job before she left for work and everything seems to have clicked but now. What now is the question.

“I-I meant to just catch another five.”

“Really? With your hand on the snooze button.”

“…”

“… Leo… I’ve tried, I have tried. Hmph, do you know how many of my family and friends keep asking why I’m with you.”

“Forget them Jess.”

“Yeah… I use to but now… How can I?”

“Jess I promise you-“

“No Leo, no more promises. I went out of my way to get you this job you know. Almost breaking company policy for you.”

“… Jess I know. Trust me I know.”

“Do you, do you know Leo? Cause this damn sure doesn’t look like it. Good thing they had a backup. Do you know how frustrating it is to say that?”

They stand in silence for a bit. Shaking her head Jess drops the sheet and walks out of the room. Leo sits down on the bed and stares at the clock. The front door could be heard closing as Jess leaves. A thought crosses Leo’s mind if only he could turn back time. Isn’t that a sentiment we all have had at one time or another? The fleeting essence that is time waits on no man.

That job should have paid his rent for the month, now he needs to get another job and fast. He takes care of the essential part of daily life before heading out. The sun seemed to shine brighter than usual as he made his way downtown.

Reaching the agency Leo lingers outside, pacing back and forth. Finally he goes in; there's a line of people there waiting to see the agent. In his hand he's carrying a case that contains the tools for his job. The reality of the situation, though his skills at his craft while good could be better and his pension for lateness makes giving him jobs harder.

“Say, you new here?”

“No, I”m a regular. Why?”

“You got a kit.”

“Tools of the trade. Got to be prepared in case I get a gig right now.”

“... True, I never thought about it that way. Name’s Jack.”

“I’m Leo.”

The two talk as they wait. Soon it’s Jack’s turn to go in.

“Hope for the best.”

“Haa, you got this Jack.”

“Thanks.”

Jack heads in and Leo, who's the last person, waits his turn. As he waits he thinks Jack will do fine but the thought rings hollow when he tries to remember what type of performer Jack was. He thinks back to his conversation with him but nothing comes to mind. How? They talked for two hours and now he can’t seem to remember anything about their conversation. As he waits his turn the door opens and a lady comes out, Leo is surprised and confused.

 “Leo, that you?”

“Cindy I didn’t realize you were here.”

“Same. well I wish you luck.”

“Thanks.”

“Mr. Barter, come in.”

“Mr. Carlson, how are you?”

“Have a seat.”

“Thank you sir. Do you have anything available?”

Carlson stares at Leo for a brief moment and opens the appointment books on his desk. As he flips through the pages, Leo looks on nervously. The page keeps turning and turning as the room starts to heat up, Leo begins to sweat and bite his lip just a little. A single drop of sweat falls from Leo’s forehead as the flipping stops and Carlson eyes something on the page. Leaning back in his chair he keeps looking at the page as he then looks at Leo.

Leo puts on a smile and takes a deep breath as Carlson continues to watch him. Carlson gets up and looks out the windows behind him, peeping over his shoulder at Leo. Hesitantly he goes to his file cabinet and puts out a form. Coming back to the desk he fiddles with the paper, watching Leo begin to squirm.

“This is against my better judgment… Fill out this form.”

“Thank you sir!”

“Don’t thank me just yet. Your reputation… As a talent you’re respected-”

Smiling, “Thank you sir.”

“ Shut up! You’ve got the skill kid but you lack the patience and the dedication. You could be the best we’ve got…If you actually showed up half the time.”

Speechless Leo stops filling out the form and puts the pen down. He remembers Jess and how disappointed she was; she was the best thing in his life and he failed to keep her.

“Sir.. Why?”

“... Hmph, I ask myself that all the time… You’ve got the skill, maybe I want to see it blossom.”

“Thank you sir. Truly thank you.”

“Finish the form and… Make Sure you don’t mess this up huh.”

“Yes, sir. I will, believe me. I will.”

Shaking Mr. Carson’s hand Leo exits the office, he watches the job information sheet he received. I have 2 hours to prepare but there’s no sense in waiting. I’ve got everything here, let’s get to the venue and see how it looks. Leo exits the building and catches a taxi and heads to the venue; the drive takes fifteen minutes.

As he exits Leo is perplexed. He wondered why it seemed to be getting dark; he was sure it couldn’t be that late and he came early. Quickly turning to the driver to ask a question but the driver simply smiles and drives off. Now he’s even more confused, the driver was a man… wasn’t she?

“Sir… Sir!”

“Yes!”

“You seem a little dazed.”

“... Y-Yeah, just a little.”

“You must be the act for the party.”

“Yes, that’s me. I’m-”

“Mr. Barter, I presume.”

“... Yes?”

“We’ve been expecting you sir. Right this way.”

Leo starts to head in but wakes up and turns to the butler who greeted him. It was very strange, he was headed to a normal house to celebrate the birthday of a little kid but they have a butler? He wondered about the day so far and as he did the events just seemed to not add up.

“Excuse me?”

“Aaah.. sir you must have questions I take it.”

“... Na-naturally.”

“All will be explained in time sir. Please excuse my rude behavior.”

“Wha-”

The butler punches Leo in the stomach then places him over his shoulder and proceeds through the gate. Jack smiles and tells the butler where to lay Leo so he can rest. The party gets under way as Leo lays unconscious.

Leo starts to come too and almost immediately gets up when he hears Jess’s voice. As he rises from the bed Jack enters the room. He approaches Leo with open arms, of course Leo is taken aback. This must be a dream he thinks.

“Leooo, you're finally up.”

“...”

“What’s wrong?”

Hesitantly, “What’s going on? First I meet you at the agent, we talk for what felt like ages then you go in to see Mr. Carlson… You didn’t come out… Hell I’m not even sure if your name’s Jack”. Shaking his head Jack takes a quick look around.

“I get it Leo. This is confusing. Just know my name is Jack and you’re not going crazy.”

“... Then what is this? Where… Is… This?!”

“You’re not going to believe me… but… you are in another realm right now.”

“OKAY, that’s it! I’m out, I’m out!”

Leo storms through the door and is met with a hail of applause as he freezes in awe. Just where the hell is he? He is surrounded by the sight of a multitude of people, some human in features and others seemingly coming right out of a fairy tale. A mists the crowd he sees a familiar someone.

“Mr. Carlson?”

“Welcome Leo!”

“Wha-what is this?”

“This is a party for you.”

“I can see it’s a party… but for me. Why?”

“Leo, you’ve always wanted to become a magician didn’t you?”

“Yeah- I mean, I am a magician.”

“Leo, what you know as magic is just trickery. You are destined to be a real Magician. To use magic this world has never seen.”

“.... I don’t understand… All will be revealed in time my boy. Just know that here you pay no rent and this house. No, no this castle is yours.”

Leo takes a look behind him at the grand castle before his eyes. As he takes it in he now truly looks at his surroundings, to the vast land that lays in his wake. He’s going to be a magician, he thought, a true magician.

On the side, out of view.

“Jack, why?!”

“Well sis, you knew this was going to happen.”

“Jack, we had an agreement!”

“I wouldn’t have had to take action if not for you.”

“... I-I-”

“Don’t play innocent Jess. You made sure Leo wasn’t going to make that job that you arranged. Not only that but you left him as well.”

“Jack, he’s a good man. This isn’t the life for him!”

“That is not your call Jess! For your sake I’d advise you not to try anything else!”

“...”

“I wouldn’t want to… Jess you know I love you. Just make sure to never get close to Leo again. Okay.”

December 17, 2022 00:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Tommy Goround
14:56 Feb 07, 2023

I love reading your commentary. Hope you don't change. That aside... Since it's not a workshop...I try to email people that want actual feedback. (Please consider an email in your biography so I don't have to hijack one of your old stories) The responding section is good for praise and analysis. It's a competition. So.... I'll take any blunt feedback on my stuff. Always fun to see reactions.

Reply

Keith Maynard Jr
15:29 Feb 07, 2023

Thanks. I added my email to my bio.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Julie Gavin
22:37 Dec 21, 2022

Very suspenseful story with a great twist at the end!

Reply

Keith Maynard Jr
19:42 Dec 23, 2022

Thank you for your comment, I hope to write more stories you will enjoy as well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.