4 comments

Fantasy Transgender Suspense

Words could make you feel small, they could make you cry, they could damage you beyond repair. They could weave their way into your brain until they were that all you heard, a constant chant telling you that you weren’t good enough. Words had the power to knock down armies and topple countries. But I had never before felt words hit me like daggers, tearing me open and leaving a wound that would never heal.

“I’m sorry, Lora, I had to, don’t you see?” Delilah moved to grab my hand. I yanked it away, feeling a twinge of guilt that was quickly smothered. 

She looked at me imploringly. “If there was a chance they could cure you…”

“I don’t need to be cured.” I snarled. “What I have is not a disease.”

“I-” 

“You’re telling me that you sent in the application months ago. All this time…” I trailed off. “All this time, you’ve been taking me on dates and telling me you loved me. You’ve kept this secret from me the entire time. You didn’t even think to consult me.”

“I knew you’d say no, Loralie. I just wanted to help you.”

“You ever think there was a reason for that? It’s not what you think, it’s not what they advertise.” I threw a colorful pamphlet on the table. “They drain you, they kill who you are until you’re hollow inside. Those people?” I jabbed a finger at the happy, smiling people on the front of the paper. “I’ll bet you anything those are actors.”

“I know you’re upset…”

“It’s over. I’m not going to date anyone who doesn’t love me for me.” I turned away.

“I’m doing this because I love you. I just want to make sure that I actually do love you. I want to know that the feelings I have for you are real, not just because you’re a-” Delilah hesitated.

“Say it.” I turn around, my eyes blazing.

“All I know is that you have abilities, that normal people don’t have. Is it so shocking for me to think that there’s a possibility you could be forcing me to love you?” She asked.

“You want to know what I think is shocking?” I stomped down the hall and grabbed my backpack, shoving my wallet and phone into the front pocket. “That you’re so arrogant that you think that out of all the people in the world, I would use my powers to make you love me. I didn’t force you to love me, Delilah. I don’t think I’ll make the mistake of loving you ever again.”

I zipped up my backpack and wiped my eyes. I hadn’t noticed I was crying.

“Loralie-”

“Goodbye, Delilah.”

I sank into cool blue bliss, idly waving my arms to control my slow descent to the sandy bottom below. I had mostly stayed on land for the year I was dating Delilah, and swimming was even better than I remembered. I landed on the bottom of the lake, sending sand and fish swirling around my head. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, my gills fluttering. 

Someone tapped my shoulder, causing my eyes to shoot open. A face hovered above me, looking concerned. 

Jeez, don’t sneak up on a person like that. I gestured weakly, trying to slow my heart rate. I hadn’t met another human like me in ages, not since long before I met Delilah.  The signals came back to me slowly, but I was pleased to see I could still do it. 

Sorry! I didn’t see your gills at first. they apologized. 

It is fine, you just scared me. I pushed myself up so I could see face to face with the stranger.

Did you just move here? I have not seen anybody else in this lake for ages.

No. I’ve been in this town for a while, but this is my first time in the lake. 

They looked confused. But what about swimming?

I have not been swimming in a long time. I was… I paused. Dating someone, and she did not want me going places without her. Besides, she was a bit iffy on the fact that I was different. She wanted me to be as normal as possible for her.

That sounds... like a big red flag. They shook their head. 

In retrospect, yeah. I snorted, and big bubbles escaped my nose. I blushed.

Are you planning on staying down here a while?

Yeah. Unless you want me to leave, I do not want to be a bother. 

No, I have got a cove you can stay in. You will not be a bother. 

Thanks. I’m L-O-R-A-L-I-E. I spelled my name.

Do you mind if I call you L OR A LIE? They asked. With a jolt I remembered the old custom. Since many parents wanted to give their children normal names, but they weren’t pronounceable underwater, oftentimes they adapted the names by using short words and letters.

Just LIE is perfectly fine, it was my name growing up. What shall I call you?

C-A-R-Y. CAR for short. 

I nodded and motioned for Car to lead the way. We kicked upwards, our legs disturbing the fish that had gathered around us during the silent conversation. 

Car stopped, then let their hand drift upward and made a quick chopping motion, shorthand for surface and watch out for boats.

I popped my head up, wincing as my gills closed. 

“I forgot how weird that feels.” I rubbed my cheek, noticing how my nail polish was wearing away. 

Get used to it. Car signed. We cannot enter the cove without checking for boats. There is a spot where it is too shallow to swim without a ship noticing us. 

“Why are you still signing?” I asked, curious. 

I do not like the way my voice sounds. It is too light, too high. When I sing, it goes lower because of my magic. But normal talking does not affect it, so I talk with my hands instead. I have learned how to tread water with just my feet. 

I nodded, satisfied with the explanation. Above us, a winged person buzzed by. 

“I had forgotten about singing. I can feel the magic now. How did I live without this for so long?”

I can not imagine. 

“My girlfriend was wary that I’d enchanted her into loving me. She’d heard about our powers, and she was afraid.”

We plunged back under, having seen no boats in sight. Car motioned for me to follow them. 

She signed me up for a camp. I do not know if you have heard of it. It is for the people of the world who are not normal. Who can fly and swim and disappear. They take that away from you.

I have heard about it. And you left her after she told you she did this?

Yes.

We swam into a cave. Seaweed gently waved and fish darted out to greet us. 

This is amazing. I gasped.

Welcome home, Lie. Car said, smiling. I have to go take care of something, make yourself at home. 

I nodded, entranced by a little blue fish that was nibbling my toes.

Far away, Delilah called a cell phone. After the third ring, it was picked up. 

“Loralie? I’m sorry. I just wanted to know for sure… I was scared… Please come home.”

Cary grimaced, but spoke into the phone. Their voice was rusty. 

“This is Kaya Markham. I’m afraid the person you’re trying to reach is away at the Johnson Center for the Removal of Anomalies.”

“Let me speak to Loralie, please. I’m her girlfriend. I’m sorry…”

Cary smiled, and started to hum. 

“I- What’s that sound? It’s very… pretty.”

“Loralie is at the Johnson Center for the Removal of Anomalies.” The humming got louder, dancing around Cary’s words. “When the JRCA administration calls you later, you know nothing. As far as you know. Loralie left. You don’t know where she is. She’s not anywhere near Delta Lake.”

“No, she’s not.” Delilah whispered, and hung up. She removed her earbuds.

“Delta Lake, Mr. Johnson. She’s got another siren protecting her, but doesn’t sound like much else.”

 “Thank you for your cooperation, Miss Tarry. We’ll be sure to send someone out there right away. Your service has proved invaluable to us.”

“What she said about your program, it isn’t true, right?”

Johnson smiled, a cruel grin that said everything it needed to. Delilah lunged for the phone, but it was easily taken out of her hands. She backed up against the wall, and barely felt the prick of a needle entering her skin. The last thing she heard was a voice.

“Oh no, Miss Tarry.”

March 07, 2021 21:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

15:25 May 21, 2021

Oh my, this is, so astounding... I mean, the ending, is haunting, it leaves a sense of emptiness, the building up of all that started from the start and it was as if it all collapsed on top of you, it was mind blowing... happy today...

Reply

Corbin Sage
16:09 May 21, 2021

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Corbin Sage
00:47 May 22, 2021

Part Three of "Tattoos" is out!!

Reply

01:40 May 22, 2021

Yay! teleporting to there in 3... 2... 1...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.